Author (Read 37899 times)

NEW DECK -- Aurum from Encarded
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I did a search for Aurum and I couldn't find a thread.. so here we go..

Encarded has loaded a few teaser pics of the Aurum deck.

Encarded writes...

"
Aurum is the next deck from Encarded and is currently in heavy design and development. Aurum will be quite different from Tendril and will incorporate even more new ideas in custom playing card design.
Aurum is designed to be several things: First, evoke the feeling of being hand drawn, not digitally perfect. Second, make it intricate enough that you might need to hold the design close and really examine it to see the details. Third, have it be elegant and rich while maintaining perfect symetry, handling and visual interest. Finally, an idea that I wanted to pursue was to create the entire back design with one, single, continuous line flowing from one side of the cards all the way through the middle, mirroring perfectly in the “organic symmetry” we introduced in Tendril.
Below are some select sneak peek images of Aurum in its development phases. You can see some aspects of the new and special features, such as a hand-drawn continuous line back with organic symmetry, subtle pattern borders, metallic gold and purple inks in a rich tapestry design and the face patterns first seen in Tendril.
We will add more details and views of Aurum as the design progresses. Please note that any/all of these designs may change during the course of the development and are provided for your enjoyment only. No one, not even me, knows exactly where we will end up. That is one of the lovely mysteries of the design process."

take a look

(Click pics for larger view)

You can check out the Encarded site for more info.. http://encarded.com/index.php?id=12

CBJ

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:31:24 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK -- Aurum from Encarded
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »

KT

• Facebook:
The Encarded Team never fails to amaze me... Looks like I have a new deck on my list.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Really cool aces!!!!!  Like it a lot

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

frostchew

Custom designs drawn using one single continuous line? I'm thinking this is going to be awesome. I am already digging the aces and the back design.

I just hope this time the face cards won't have a black background like on the tendril deck. Don't get me wrong, the tendril has an awesome custom design and I love the tendril backs, but the black background for the face cards just seem a little "off"

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
what more can i say ?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
BTW, Aurum will be a "white" deck. As I had said, it will be QUITE different from Tendril but use perhaps some of the concepts I learned on Tendril. Aurum will be colorful in it's own way, more regal, understated and intricate whereas Tendril was bold and bright while still being dark (quite a tricky thing to pull off now that I think about it :) )
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
BTW, Aurum will be a "white" deck. As I had said, it will be QUITE different from Tendril but use perhaps some of the concepts I learned on Tendril. Aurum will be colorful in it's own way, more regal, understated and intricate whereas Tendril was bold and bright while still being dark (quite a tricky thing to pull off now that I think about it :) )

You have another excellent deck on your hands here - and exceptional, I might add.  There's just something about a hand-crafted design in our all-too-digital world...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
Liked the design of Tendril, and I'm going to boldly say that i'll like the design for Aurum now as well. This is one deck that I would love to see progress from crafting conceptual stage to the eventual end product. Keep up the good work Paul!

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:28:57 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I don`t know what I really think of the deck from these pics. I dont really even know what it is I`m just not very fond of it. Although from hearing it will be white I will probably like what the final product ends up being. Anf the pips look really nice.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yeay we can now talk about the aurum!
Im really happy for encarded and I'm so glad that they can provide us with awesome card artwork. :P
so kudos. I'm looking forward to the progression of Aurum!

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
This deck looks very interesting. The back is kind of surprising to me, but the aces are very attractive.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
A new teaser.

After staring at the back design for a very long time and trying different things, I realized that the design needed some extra elements to more fully bring it to the Venetian-inspired level I was looking for. With that, I turned to Ventian bookbinders and was inspired by some lovely arabesque motifs. So the existing continuous line is there but merged with the new. I think it’s quite striking so far. With full metallics it will have a lovely shimmer to it.

Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

WOW
despite the super blurred out (tiltshift) image, looking good.
I have to hand it to you Paul you have awesome talent in design. Im really rooting for Encarded. :) More power to you!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:10 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

WOW
I have to hand it to you Paul you have awesome talent in design. Im really rooting for Encarded. :) More power to you!

Thank you Lara. And that is not some fakey tilt shift image, that's the real deal! (nice shallow depth of field from a real lens). :)

I'm still working on details so that why the teasers exist. Show that things are happening, but not have people get too hung up on the details you will ultimately change. I think this new addition is really helping the design overall and I'm finally out of the rut I'd been in.

I think you guys will like it in the end. At least, that's my goal. I have the full color design up on my monitor and will probably stare at it for days, letting it sink into my brain and seeing what happens.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:00:25 AM by Encarded »
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I like the fact that the back design is very complex in the middle of a simple background. I can't wait!

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I am really feeling this deck so far. Keep up the amazing work.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

WOW

Thank you Lara. And that is not some fakey tilt shift image, that's the real deal! (nice shallow depth of field from a real lens). :)

I'm still working on details so that why the teasers exist. Show that things are happening, but not have people get too hung up on the details you will ultimately change. I think this new addition is really helping the design overall and I'm finally out of the rut I'd been in.

I think you guys will like it in the end. At least, that's my goal. I have the full color design up on my monitor and will probably stare at it for days, letting it sink into my brain and seeing what happens.

Hoorah for awesome camera and Skillz!

okay I know its a pentax but its pink. Give it a chance to just be a camera hahaha :P

Anyway back to topic

@Nathan I don't think its a simple background, if you look at the very first post its like a maze of swirls and twirls. But yeah its a great design as always.

I have a question Paul. When you were back in middleschool to whatever-school where you the type who doodles on your notebook when the teachers are  boring?

Because your designs really brings a lot of nostalgic feelings for me. Because I used to do that too. and also on my hands like this:

that is not me BTW but its very similar, I think thats why I am very drawn to your designs.
Because it reminds me of the good old days as well. Also i was browsing around through my old sketchpad and I saw something kinda similar as well. I'll post it next time. I'm too lazy to look for my camera. :(

But yeah I just wanted to share that with you. :P

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:33:00 PM by Lara Krystle "Lane" »

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Lara,

I honestly don't consider myself an illustrator and while I've done some drawing (and went to art school for a while) I still don't think of myself as a "drawer." Both my parents were art teachers so I was brought up in a creative environment, and certainly did little doodles and drawings but never really honed the skill of freehand drawing.

After I did the Aurum design I started to see that other people had done very similar things (like your photo) which was very interesting to me. I'd never seen that before, but it just seemed an interesting and natural thing to do. Getting it to mirror on a playing card was definitely the hard part. :)

And that is the girliest camera I've ever seen. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

Kinda like me when people say Im a musican/singer. Because I was raised in a music school and music came to me naturally because of it. I almost went to music university but it was not something I wanted to really "STUDY" I just enjoyed it and if I ended up dragging myself around college trying to get the theory down I'm going to end up hating it hahaha but anyway back to topic.

I could already imagine the difficulties in getting the image to mirror without being so obvious. From what you have shown us so far, the design of Aurum is coming along wonderfully. I really like it. With all my girly sincerity. ^-^

Oh and for the record, I happen to LOVE that camera and wishes that Nikon comes in that color.. :P

Its perfect for my dream SUV

How's that for girly. ^-^

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I know there are more than 326 people in the world that loves cards and should be Liking my Facebook page. So get to it and help reveal Aurum.

http://facebook.com/encarded
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:59:57 PM by Encarded »
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

jriffel

• True Member
I know there are more than 326 people in the world that loves cards and should be Liking my Facebook page. So get to it and help reveal Aurum.

http://facebook.com/encarded
There are many of us that don't\won't do Facebook !!

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
True, and it's not my favorite thing in the world but it does work. And if there are 100k+ people that like Ellusionist, 5,600+ that like AetherCards and 17k+ that like the Blue Crown, there are certainly a few hundred that would be interested in little old me. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Some pics

Enjoy!
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I have to be honest and say that I am not really fond of the backs of this deck. The fronts are really nice, but the backs seem too empty.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 01:22:04 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
brilliant design .. i really like it .. hardly seem a purple deck before