Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think this guy is a character from a tv show. You know, the slick con man that jumps on anything and everything, always the expert and there with amazing offers, insights and products.

Except is guy has no writing talent, very little marketing skill and seemingly no real abilities relevant to the many projects he's trying to start.

I'm almost tempted to email up my contacts at USPCC and ask if they've heard of this guy.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: The-Con-Artist.com
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I never understood why people would try and con magicians. Don't they realise that magicians make money by fooling people?

I hope that this misendeavour will act as a lesson to other independent playing card creators; social media marketing has its positives and can garner you a great deal of people willing to bite your bait. But such people are mostly blind and couldn't care whether the bait was any good, or even poisoned in some cases. While it may seem easy to dupe people, it will do nothing for your reputation. And your reputation is what lasts after the contests are done and the initial influx of 'thumbs up' has died down.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm almost tempted to email up my contacts at USPCC and ask if they've heard of this guy.
I think you should do that. It could help us out a lot... It could save us from being scammed.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I think you should do that. It could help us out a lot... It could save us from being scammed.

Well according to the Facebook page USPCC are 'blown away'! So, they must be talking about it at the office like it's the next best thing. And it's all in uppercase, so we know it's important.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I will give away a Steamboat deck to the first person who asks for it if this guy has made any progress with the USPCC.

nb. I didn't define what 'progress' means :)

re: my web-sleuthing; this guy was easy and there's probably a bunch of stuff still to find if I could be bothered looking.  I've had much trickier endeavours tracking people online before but I've caused a good few trolls to get banned from forums from doing it (proved they were lying/someone else etc.). 

UPDATE:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/xdelamuertexaolcom/index.html

Lol... so Bushido teacher, clothing, video games, playing cards and now board games!  Is there nothing this man won't fail at?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:01:52 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
If that board game shows the quality of his work, then I have a feeling that the USPCC is blown away for all the wrong reasons.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/921928561/blockbuster-movie-wonder-woman-origins/comments

Now, this might NOT be him but the location and level of utter bullshit make me think it probably is (BTW, this is HILARIOUS).  Apparently he's also script-writer

Also, promotions agency;

http://www.manta.com/c/mr5yrv2/mayhem-promotions

I forgot his clothing range; apparently, you have to prove that you're a 'real fighter' before he'll let you buy anything.  What a wab.

http://www.sagurafightwear.com/how-to-order.php
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:21:59 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
LOL $2 pledged, how is that possible LOL
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I think somebody just wanted a Wonder Woman sticker...

http://www.ratemymuaythaiinstructor.com/index.php?instructor_detail&instructor_id=000796

Wow; the one thing he does that is is any way legitimate and even then he has to go screw it up.  Read those reviews and ask yourself; who do YOU think wrote them?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:31:39 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Wow. I am utterly stunned at this guy.

Although it is ridiculous that you need to prove you are a fighter, and it is weird that you need to give him all of that info, I think that this equipment actually looks pretty nice, and like he put effort into it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I'm pretty sure, judging by the design of the actual website (it has totally random flash games in it!) that he did not design the gear and is either reselling it or just taking the money.

EDIT: On closer inspection, you're just wrong, loldude.  Those designs suck.  It's just clip-art/random pics found online or text made with free online apps pasted onto a template and then made up by some company somewhere.  That blows.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:47:36 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Moral of the story: Don't buy into hype from a company who's only contribution and showcase is an all-caps status.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 12:19:28 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmmm, well according to his facebook, he said this is a hint as to the release date of the decks 8x6-1, which equals 47 (4/7?). Is there a reason to try and decipher this? Anywho, in that same post he talked to himself, tellinghimslef that he cracks himself up. A guess would be instead of a con artist, hes just an idiot who thinks he will have the next "great idea".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:20:08 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I did. I'm really curious about this guy and want to save people some hassle if possible. We could all be wrong, but he doesn't seem legit.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Update: USPCC gave him a basic quote and templates but are not doing any current project with him. I'd say it's highly unlikely he has anything real at all.

I'm going to start subtly hassling this guy on Facebook to see what he says. It will amuse me. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:43:11 AM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Update: USPCC gave him a basic quote and templates but are not doing any current project with him. I'd say it's highly unlikely he has anything real at all.

I'm going to start subtly hassling this guy on Facebook to see what he says. It will amuse me. :)

Well, at least he isn't a complete rip-off. I can't really fathom what exactly he gets from doing such things. Nevertheless, I still think the fact he is having contests for a deck that isn't even at the design stage is bad news. What exactly are the people winning?
Maybe this?

FREE TUCK BOXES FOR ALL! :D

Seriously though, I can't see how he will make any money from this. Several people are already expressing concern on the Facebook page and as the days go on and people realise there are no further updates then the numbers will just increase.
He seems pretty adamant that everyone needs to change their privacy settings to allow him to see their 'wall'. I wonder if it's some sort of targeted marketing thing? Everyone already knows that Facebook targets its advertisements to people's likes already. Who knows, really.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:01:55 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well, he's lying. Straight up. He doesn't have 150 decks to give away. There is no way i'm aware of to even get 150 decks from USPCC. You can get a prototype at $250 a piece, or you can get 2500+.

USPCC is not "blown away" by anything, because there is nothing to be blown away by.

Anyone on this forum can ask for a quote and they will send you a standard Word doc, and the templates are available on their website. Going beyond that stage is where you actually might have something.

This guy is 100% vapor and is continuing to gather people's personal info. And he's targeting a group of people that he's identified as being willing to join in for the promise of free things. Very dangerous, honestly.

Here's his "graphic design" skills at work, Btw. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D6rz9FTKFQo/Tbk7gIUR_rI/AAAAAAAAAEw/j_f0I3ECG_c/s1600/Ab_blue_matrix.jpg
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Mr. Shane is a sharp guy. :)  If you check the Facebook you can see that he investigated me (saw I was connected to Encarded) after I made a comment and knew what I was getting at, and just so happened to toss in the name of the custom coordinator at USPCC. Slick.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
He keeps on mentioning "Tiffany Mahan". Do you think she is in on this?
Here is another comment he has made:

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
He PM'd me saying he designed the Arcane gaffs and was totally unconnected to any of the other projects (despite hi face being on them!).  Turns out he did get a credit for the Arcane gaffs but there's a post on FB of him begging for 1 uncut sheet in exchange for his help, which didn't get a reply from E; I think it's same to say his input was minimal (probably said 'it would be cool if...' on a forum somewhere).

Oh, FYI, guys; I linked him to this thread so if you're planning on playing it cute, I'd give that up at this point.  Spread the word; the guy is not to be trusted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:12:40 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
He keeps on mentioning "Tiffany Mahan". Do you think she is in on this?
Here is another comment he has made:

I still dont think that he has any deck, however that last post was very convincing.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 02:29:28 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I have been dealing with Tiffany on a regular basis for months, and am about to give her company tens of thousands of dollars. I asked her simply if they worked with him. She said they have no project with this guy. I think Tiffany has been "handling" one thing for him, sending him a quote and templates, which any person on the internet can get from her with a simple email.

If he is going to deliver a deck in 2 months, it would be nearing production.

Someone is lying, and I'm confident I know who. He is playing a game, he is accessing people's personal Facebook info and I don't think he has anything at all to deliver. He'd better put up some goods real quick. Right now, he is taking advantage of the card community. His requiring access to people's Facebook Wall for a contest is suspect in the extreme.

I would seriously unlike and revoke access because I honestly do not feel he's truthful at all.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
PM log thus far;

Chris Wilson
I'm kinda disappointed you didn't react to my pictures calling you out over on your 'con-artist' page. Maybe you missed that? Maybe just hoping it would go away? Anyway, here's a thread over at Aether Cards (premier forum for card collectors etc.) about that project http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2077.0

You'll notice it details your other failed attempts at scamming via Kickstarter and if you look at the Aether Cards Facebook group, you'll notice many of the people who have already showed interest in your Facebook campaign are members there and will probably read it.

Seriously, man; of all the people to try to fool, magicians have got to be about the worst choice you could make. Wouldn't you like to make money by actually DOING something instead of putting all this effort into bullshitting? You seem to be at least competent in the whole MMA thing, maybe stick to that or do something with it? Not designer gear; you aren't good at that; maybe focus on being the best instructor you can be, or train and compete more rather than wasting all your time with this nonsense- it's never going to work.

Stay free.

Shane Carter
Chris, do I know you? Haha nope thanks for this incredibly sweet email. Nothing I am doing is a scam! Have nothing to do with the above man. I'm just the guy that designed The Arcane Gaffed deck for E if you go to their website click on Arcane Gaffs and then other that's me Shane Carter.

Shane Carter
Unless you are talking about the Arcane Gaffs on E being a failed design?

Chris Wilson
The only mention of Shane Carter on that page is a product review for a completely different product. If you look at the google search result, I can see why that would be misleading "56 outrageous gaff cards feature the artwork of ace Ellusionist designer .... by Shane Carter ..." but the '...' indicates missing text.

Come on, you have the same, unique handle as the guy who set up the con-artist page. You have your name AND FACE on a bunch of Kickstarter pages that are totally bogus, along with many of the other projects I found. I'm studying game design and it's apparent that you don't have a clue. You claim that the USPCC is 'blown away' by these designs but the only contact you've had with them is to request templates and a quote (anyone can do that). Can you explain any of that?

Chris Wilson
Oh, OK, my mistake. A guy called Shane Carter did have a small input on the design. Big Whoop. Saying you designed them is seriously off the mark, though.
..and I just found you kissing ass for an Uncut in exchange for your help. Like, what, $30 value and you're begging for it? Ever get it?

Shane Carter
Chris I am also a playing card collector. It helps showing support. Your negativity accomplishes nothing and I already had an uncut  I wish you the best at everything you do.
Kinda sad that's all you have done is research me. Maybe google Shane Carter Tropfest Tribecca? If you want the help!

Chris Wilson
I wish I could say the same to you but as far as I can tell, most of what you do seems to involve BSing gullible people. I can and do wish you all the best with the MMA instructing. My negativity has already accomplished something; a sizeable portion of the community now being extremely wary of what you're doing. If you're not going to even try to respond to the very clear issues I've raised about previous failed projects and lies you've told, then I guess my job now is to try to tell that story to as many people as will listen. It's obvious that this sin't going to get you to stop directly so I'll just keep trying to educate people about what it is I think you're doing; if you're not going to come clean on your own back, nothing is stopping me jumping to conclusions and being the only party providing any actual evidence to back it up. The reason I researched you was that the whole project was surrounded in such mystery but simple tools exist to unravel the mystery; I wanted to see who was behind the-con-artist because, well, it seemed kinda interesting. Then I found the same guy posting on the page as someone else and a string of shady projects (and selling smelly jewellery on eBay), so I figured everyone should know. You won an award for a film you took on your mobile phone in a short film festival 5 years ago. Again, big whoop, doesn't answer anything.

UPDATE

Shane Carter
Dude seriously I don't know what your talking about!
Have a great day, I have better things to be doing.

Chris Wilson
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=xdelamuertex&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

https://twitter.com/#!/xdelamuertex

http://www.sagurafightwear.com/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hauntthehated/warped-is-a-new-pc-online-game-that-will-rewrite-h?ref=email

That's what I'm talking about. Looks like funding was cancelled and the account deleted on that Kickstarter about an hour after I sent that first message. Coincidence?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:53:00 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmm good job, I bothered to google shane carter tropfest tribecca, and I found some press releases ( about 2 ) I looked at the posts but I cant seem to find his name anywhere, I didnt bother to really read it though and Im sure hes on there, so maybe he did win some sort of film award. However, based on your investigations I still wouldnt trust him, as you did pretty much prove he didnt make any cards.

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
PM log thus far;

Chris Wilson
I'm kinda disappointed you didn't react to my pictures calling you out over on your 'con-artist' page. Maybe you missed that? Maybe just hoping it would go away? Anyway, here's a thread over at Aether Cards (premier forum for card collectors etc.) about that project http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2077.0

You'll notice it details your other failed attempts at scamming via Kickstarter and if you look at the Aether Cards Facebook group, you'll notice many of the people who have already showed interest in your Facebook campaign are members there and will probably read it.

Seriously, man; of all the people to try to fool, magicians have got to be about the worst choice you could make. Wouldn't you like to make money by actually DOING something instead of putting all this effort into bullshitting? You seem to be at least competent in the whole MMA thing, maybe stick to that or do something with it? Not designer gear; you aren't good at that; maybe focus on being the best instructor you can be, or train and compete more rather than wasting all your time with this nonsense- it's never going to work.

Stay free.

Shane Carter
Chris, do I know you? Haha nope thanks for this incredibly sweet email. Nothing I am doing is a scam! Have nothing to do with the above man. I'm just the guy that designed The Arcane Gaffed deck for E if you go to their website click on Arcane Gaffs and then other that's me Shane Carter.

Shane Carter
Unless you are talking about the Arcane Gaffs on E being a failed design?

Chris Wilson
The only mention of Shane Carter on that page is a product review for a completely different product. If you look at the google search result, I can see why that would be misleading "56 outrageous gaff cards feature the artwork of ace Ellusionist designer .... by Shane Carter ..." but the '...' indicates missing text.

Come on, you have the same, unique handle as the guy who set up the con-artist page. You have your name AND FACE on a bunch of Kickstarter pages that are totally bogus, along with many of the other projects I found. I'm studying game design and it's apparent that you don't have a clue. You claim that the USPCC is 'blown away' by these designs but the only contact you've had with them is to request templates and a quote (anyone can do that). Can you explain any of that?

Chris Wilson
Oh, OK, my mistake. A guy called Shane Carter did have a small input on the design. Big Whoop. Saying you designed them is seriously off the mark, though.
..and I just found you kissing ass for an Uncut in exchange for your help. Like, what, $30 value and you're begging for it? Ever get it?

Shane Carter
Chris I am also a playing card collector. It helps showing support. Your negativity accomplishes nothing and I already had an uncut  I wish you the best at everything you do.
Kinda sad that's all you have done is research me. Maybe google Shane Carter Tropfest Tribecca? If you want the help!

Chris Wilson
I wish I could say the same to you but as far as I can tell, most of what you do seems to involve BSing gullible people. I can and do wish you all the best with the MMA instructing. My negativity has already accomplished something; a sizeable portion of the community now being extremely wary of what you're doing. If you're not going to even try to respond to the very clear issues I've raised about previous failed projects and lies you've told, then I guess my job now is to try to tell that story to as many people as will listen. It's obvious that this sin't going to get you to stop directly so I'll just keep trying to educate people about what it is I think you're doing; if you're not going to come clean on your own back, nothing is stopping me jumping to conclusions and being the only party providing any actual evidence to back it up. The reason I researched you was that the whole project was surrounded in such mystery but simple tools exist to unravel the mystery; I wanted to see who was behind the-con-artist because, well, it seemed kinda interesting. Then I found the same guy posting on the page as someone else and a string of shady projects (and selling smelly jewellery on eBay), so I figured everyone should know. You won an award for a film you took on your mobile phone in a short film festival 5 years ago. Again, big whoop, doesn't answer anything.

UPDATE

Shane Carter
Dude seriously I don't know what your talking about!
Have a great day, I have better things to be doing.

Chris Wilson
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=xdelamuertex&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

https://twitter.com/#!/xdelamuertex

http://www.sagurafightwear.com/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hauntthehated/warped-is-a-new-pc-online-game-that-will-rewrite-h?ref=email

That's what I'm talking about. Looks like funding was cancelled and the account deleted on that Kickstarter about an hour after I sent that first message. Coincidence?
Of course he is hiding more than one thing and shouldn't be trusted, but he seemed pretty convincing. Being the devil's advocate, he possibly has a design...