The-Con-Artist.com
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey guys, I found this new playing card company on Facebook and now I have found their website. They have not release any products yet but will be launching some products "within the next couple months."
They have contests on their Facebook page to win decks so get over there!
The decks are very limited and they think that they will be rare.

Here is the website: http://The-Con-Artist.com/
Here is their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Con-ArtistCom/330147213678457

Re: The-Con-Artist.com
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
hmmm... it's hard to tell what I think about this company from what little they have to show. They could be one of the next greats or they could be just another wanna be hopping on playing card bandwagon. I'd like to entertain the thought that they could be great though :) We'll see.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yay, let's all cheer for incredible vagueness and abstract promises of incredibleness!

I really hate contests where you have to put someone else's cheesy and vague text as if it's coming from your own mouth. Hate it enough that while I'd love a free deck I just can't participate.

I do hope that the glaringly obvious Matrix+Apple Computer theme is not indicative of their deck as that's about 6 years late on the design spectrum...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »

JimmyJohns

• True Member
I'm sick of this "Skulkor Type" marketing shenanigans, ..."Like" us, follow us on Twitter, blah, blah...But wait there's more ;D, you need to change that and that, maybe even your last name :t11:, or post  things like this, quote from their FB page:
"OK the first 150 people to like this page and update their status to these exact words "Holy Cripes you guys need to look at and like this page. It has some wicked awesome things coming that have never ever been touched or thought about in the magic communuty".He He, you need to post the exact words, they say, so don't even think to correct the misspelling in bold ;D
If you have good content to show, advertise wise, in the end people would follow you and yes would "Like" you.
But the only thing you can see there is a one page website that can be done better than that in less than five minutes.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Although the incredible vagueness, I entered myself.  Figued for a free deck of cards why not. Heck, I'd do this for a pack of bikes! Thank you Evan for showing this to us!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:40:10 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I had to work day and night to get my fans by showing teasers, concepts, etc. It's much, much easier to get people to like you when you show them what they should be liking.

I think this site can go one of two ways, either very awesome or very terrible.

The all-caps status updates don't look good though. My advice to the owner of the site, if he or she should end up reading this, is to give people something to look forward to, and not keep it vague and "underground." When you are first arriving on the scene, you can't create hype by acting like the hype is predetermined. At the end of the day, are you selling me hype or products?

Also, transparency does wonders. I've liked a lot of the pages that I do because I enjoy having a more personal connection with the page owner. I have yet to give Skulkor a bother, for example, because I have absolute no idea what their staff consists of.

Also, when I see statuses spammed with your marketing campaign, I tend to get annoyed, and I feel like most people do. I'm sure if I give away tons of decks I can go get people to post "CHECK OUT THE HARLEQUIN DECK!!!" on their updates, but won't everyone see past the ruse as soon as they see the same thing copy+pasted over and over?

And since when is growing your Facebook fan page about giving away goods?! They're tossing out 150 decks and getting what, maybe 100 likes? Damn, for that amount of money I can grab myself 1K fans via advertising.

Regardless, 150 is a darn admirable number. Kudos to whoever there is dropping the dough on that.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I actually like the marketing style of Skulkor. Everyone started sticking to the same routine, Skulkor at least mixed it up a little with a healthy heap of mystery. I'm down with that...kinda like before Slipknot unmasked, great music without faces. I regard Skulkor in the same.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
Am I the only one that doesn't like the background of their website? Just seems way too much.

I also don't buy into the "copy paste this into your status" style of marketing, especially if it's to get a deck I haven't seen yet.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:39 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
And since when is growing your Facebook fan page about giving away goods?! They're tossing out 150 decks and getting what, maybe 100 likes? Damn, for that amount of money I can grab myself 1K fans via advertising.

150 decks for 150 likes is a pretty poor ROI. Perhaps by being a bit more personable they could get 150 likes by giving away 1 item. :)

I'm stingy with my Facebook Liking, so they have to show me something cool before they get it.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I actually like the marketing style of Skulkor. Everyone started sticking to the same routine, Skulkor at least mixed it up a little with a healthy heap of mystery. I'm down with that...kinda like before Slipknot unmasked, great music without faces. I regard Skulkor in the same.

Being an iowa boy i always knew who everyone was in slipknot; knida made their music even more personal to me. (they are SICK live)

Maybe they are just testing the waters seeing how many people are interested. i personally have always hated facebook marketing campaigns; which is one of the reasons i got rid of my facebook.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:05 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
//off-topic

I always found Slipknot to be 2 talented musicians (Mick Thomson, Corey) 2 mostly competent musicians (Joey and Paul Grey) and 5 backing dancers

//off-topic

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Maybe I'm just getting old and moody, but I really dislike Facebook marketing. I think it's fine for sharing developments and new products, but the whole competition thing just seems really disorganised and annoying. It mostly consists of fake accounts/people who probably aren't even old enough to be allowed on Facebook spamming comments with poorly executed English, ending in a bicker about who got in the first x number of replies or whatever.

If it is something easy like 'What is the answer to this hypothetical question that has a definitive answer that is not abstract in any way?' then I'd participate. But the whole 'tag yourself and some buddies' or 'show a video of you liking this page as you jump off a building' don't tend to appeal to me.

Nevertheless, I 'liked' their Facebook page. I'll try my best to wade through the 90% nonsense to find the stuff that actually informs me about a product that I may purchase.

And don't even get me started on Twitter. That is like a foreign language to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:23:13 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Maybe I'm just getting old and moody, but I really dislike Facebook marketing. I think it's fine for sharing developments and new products, but the whole competition thing just seems really disorganised and annoying. It mostly consists of fake accounts/people who probably aren't even old enough to be allowed on Facebook spamming comments with poorly executed English, ending in a bicker about who got in the first x number of replies or whatever.

If it is something easy like 'What is the answer to this hypothetical question that has a definitive answer that is not abstract in any way?' then I'd participate. But the whole 'tag yourself and some buddies' or 'show a video of you liking this page as you jump off a building' don't tend to appeal to me.

Nevertheless, I 'liked' their Facebook page. I'll try my best to wade through the 90% nonsense to find the stuff that actually informs me about a product that I may purchase.

And don't even get me started on Twitter. That is like a foreign language to me.

Twitter is baffling to me. I have one, but my Twitter following pales immensely in comparison to the Facebook folk.

I try to do a mix of "tag yourself" and actually posting content for people to partake in. I spent quite a bit of time talking with Marcus from E, who deals with their social media stuff, and he taught me a lot about how to work it. He brought in thousands and thousands of new fans to the E page. None of the tips included giving away vast amounts of goods. Even for fans, that may seem cool in the short-run, but in the long-run it leads to the business taking huge losses and not being able to dish out quality products.

Skulkor had a mix of good and bad marketing. Spamming YouTube accounts with messages was bad marketing. Getting people to change their profile pictures was good marketing in the sense that it makes people remember them. As much as it annoyed me, I know exactly what their logo looks like now.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 06:42:23 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
I guess I will have to wait till a few hours before I can view facebook or whatever blocked site because my VPN only works in the morning... meh. But yeah I'm going to have a look at this New THING. ***sigh*** I tried the skulkor thing once... the whole "change your profile photo" thing... but after that I stopped.

Facebook has a great number of people and its practically almost free advertising.

Twitter.... well I'm not sure on that but I'm on it anyway for future sake... but I'm not entirely sure on how to touch base on twitter marketing.
but anyway once I wake up tomorrow morning I will have a look at this site.

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »

Belk

• Cardistry nut
Sadly I have trouble getting into this sort of marketing, so while I'm Sure they can round up a following, I don't see them becoming much as of right now.
Disregard women, acquire playing cards. :p

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Quote from: The-Con-Artist.com