You are Here:
NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter completed!

Author (Read 38934 times)

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter completed!
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
there is no problem at signing the cellophane .. i have 2 set of new fan back that is signed none of the signature is sort of rubbing off

While there are no issues with a signature rubbing off if the signature isn't fresh and still wet, there are benefits to having the cellophane removed before signing.

I have decks in both states - signed right on the box, and signed on the cellophane.  I'll use examples of both.

I have some David Blaine White Lions decks that are signed on the box.  I opened one and carry it sometimes for use.  A collector could say, "Wow, you've killed the value of that deck," but if I bust that out for performing a trick, my spectator (or friend, family member, co-worker, etc.) will often say something to the effect of, "Holy cow, that's David Blaine's autograph!  When did you meet him?  That's so cool!"

I have a Bicycle Brimstone deck signed by Russ Kercheval that's signed on the cellophane.  The deck is still sealed and wrapped.  To a collector, that's like the Holy Grail.  But to me, it might as well be sealed in amber unless I don't care about losing the collectible value of the deck.  You could say the same about the above example, to be sure, but with the signature on the cellophane, I also have to be careful to preserve the cellophane on the box after it's been opened if I want to retain that signature for "show-off" purposes to spectators or friends.  One mistake opening that wrapper or handling it after it's been opened and the signature is destroyed.  I could somehow tape the cellophane down to preserve it, but then it looks like crap, and what's the point?

That doesn't mean I don't like my autographed Brimstone pack.  But it does mean that I'll be far less likely to use it as an "active" part of my collection.

But I'm so far off topic here, it's ridiculous.  Guys - on the subject of the Spectrum deck - I can't wait to get mine!

Cosmo, I just filled out my survey earlier this evening - everyone else, if you kickstarted this one, what are you waiting for?!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2012, 03:03:21 AM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Thanks Don, yeah! What are you waiting for???  There's still a good percentage that haven't filled it out, we're getting geared up for shipping!!!

« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Don i know what you are trying to say ..
i have both deck signed on the box and on the cellophane ..
i have a black crown deck signed by alex pandrea  on the box so the cellophane is taken off but i dun really use the deck because the deck is like so precious to me and i am afraid when i bring it out to perform i will damage the box .. when i perform magic to my friend i will take out my card and put the box in my pocket after my performance i take back out the box , the box is normally damaged .. so in the end i just open another black crown deck to play with it instead of using the signed black crown deck .. and also a few day ago i just take the deck out again because i want to check if it is in a stack when i take out the deck , the deck does not handle really well maybe is because of the humid

i have 3 set of zennethkok new fan back uncut .. 1 not signed , 1 signed on the box , 1 signed on the front .. regardless of whether they are signed or not they are very precious to me .. i did not open any of the signed deck you guys might think what the point of it and it is just collecting all the dust .. but i will put my signed deck stacking on top of my collection or i would put it at a very visible location so people can see the signed deck and they might say cool did you meet the person who signed it and it would also naturally start a conversation and again it would be sort of a ice breaker and i can start to perform trick to the person ..

i like both of the way i have my decks signed .. i normally buy more than 1 decks so if i have a deck signed on the cellophane i would open another deck to play with .. if i have a deck signed on the deck itself i would just keep a deck and also open another deck

« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »

anhedonia

Cosmo, I just filled out my survey earlier this evening - everyone else, if you kickstarted this one, what are you waiting for?!  :))

From the Kickstarter update: "NOT ALL SURVEYS WILL GO OUT TODAY!"

So, I'm going to go with: I'm still waiting for the survey.

« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey, Big H, I have to ask you...

i have 3 set of zennethkok new fan back uncut .. 1 not signed , 1 signed on the box , 1 signed on the front ..

...just how big is the box that the uncut came in, and how on earth did they wrap it in cellophane?   ???

From the Kickstarter update: "NOT ALL SURVEYS WILL GO OUT TODAY!"

So, I'm going to go with: I'm still waiting for the survey.

Droll.  Very droll.   8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:26:00 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

kmdhstew

• Facebook:
Cos, will the decks be available at any resellers? I probably only want one deck and could combine that with other decks with another reseller?

« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
most magic retailers will have them... my distributor is Murphy's magic supplies, this particular item isn't an exclusive so other retailers outside their customer base can get them as well.

I beleive there will be at least one or two card dealers online who will have them so far.

I will also post the uncuts on my site as I will have some available.

« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
there is no problem at signing the cellophane .. i have 2 set of new fan back that is signed none of the signature is sort of rubbing off

While there are no issues with a signature rubbing off if the signature isn't fresh and still wet, there are benefits to having the cellophane removed before signing.

I have decks in both states - signed right on the box, and signed on the cellophane.  I'll use examples of both.

I have some David Blaine White Lions decks that are signed on the box.  I opened one and carry it sometimes for use.  A collector could say, "Wow, you've killed the value of that deck," but if I bust that out for performing a trick, my spectator (or friend, family member, co-worker, etc.) will often say something to the effect of, "Holy cow, that's David Blaine's autograph!  When did you meet him?  That's so cool!"

I have a Bicycle Brimstone deck signed by Russ Kercheval that's signed on the cellophane.  The deck is still sealed and wrapped.  To a collector, that's like the Holy Grail.  But to me, it might as well be sealed in amber unless I don't care about losing the collectible value of the deck.  You could say the same about the above example, to be sure, but with the signature on the cellophane, I also have to be careful to preserve the cellophane on the box after it's been opened if I want to retain that signature for "show-off" purposes to spectators or friends.  One mistake opening that wrapper or handling it after it's been opened and the signature is destroyed.  I could somehow tape the cellophane down to preserve it, but then it looks like crap, and what's the point?

That doesn't mean I don't like my autographed Brimstone pack.  But it does mean that I'll be far less likely to use it as an "active" part of my collection.
I completely understand your point.
Technically as magicians and collectors we would need 1 signed on the cellophane, 1 signed underneath the cellophane, and 2 non-signed (1 to keep and 1 to play with). + some extras to resell :P

« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I completely understand your point.
Technically as magicians and collectors we would need 1 signed on the cellophane, 1 signed underneath the cellophane, and 2 non-signed (1 to keep and 1 to play with). + some extras to resell :P

Magicians need two.  One to use, one in case the first one gets trashed during a trick.

Collectors need the entire print run but will settle for what they can get.  :))

« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
@Don loved your comment. i love using standered decks just because there are so many. :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #260 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
I suggest one to show, one to save, one to open and display and one to practice with, one to practice torn and restored card, one to replace that one, one to frame, one for every room so you can always admire them, one to keep in your briefcase, one for the road, one in each pocket, one in the fridge, one in each sock, one for the front yard and one for the back, one for the garage, and one for a rainy day. and a spare one for each of the others mentioned.

that should cover you and then I could retire early.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:00:15 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I suggest one to show, one to save, one to open and display and one to practice with, one to practice torn and restored card, one to replace that one, one to frame, one for every room so you can always admire them, one to keep in your briefcase, one for the road, one in each pocket, one in the fridge, one in each sock, one for the front yard and one for the back, one for the garage, and one for a rainy day. and a spare one for each of the others mentioned.

But let's not forget the house of cards they can build and live in, too - you have kids to put through college, don't you?  :))

« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:22 AM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
great Idea!!! Add what he said...

« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:10 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

But let's not forget the house of cards they can build and live in, too - you have kids to put through college, don't you?  :))
Why not also make a playing card college for your kids while you are at it? Generations of success!