You are Here:

Poll

What's more important to you in a custom deck?

I would rather have a plain white box and custom face cards.
26 (81.3%)
I would rather have a custom box and regular Bicycle face cards.
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

What's more important to you? Box or faces?

Author (Read 5602 times)

Re: What's more important to you? Box or faces?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I really only agree with you on the White Lions on that one, which is just an all-round great deck.  The box is pretty traditional, though; I mean, I love it but the design is precise and elegant rather than innovative and different, like the Infinities.  I haven't even seen the Black Crown; that ship sailed for me.  I don't like the JAQK deck, just generally and particularly not the box.  I do usually like the repeating diamond look but IMO on the cover of the box, it makes everything look off-kilter, like I'm only seeing a snippet of the design.  The logo (title) looks like it's just been stuck on top of the design, I would like to see it integrated better and work with the design.  The Fulton's box I quite like (especially the texture; terrible for durability but it feels nice and it works with the theme really well).  I think the cards themselves are pretty standard, I don't like the jokers and the quality is a real let-down.  I hate the LTD box; you can say 'elegant' all you want but bright red, to me, seems garish and the whole design is empty.  I really think people are fawning over these because they're expensive to get and because it's from the (generally brilliant) Ellusionist but they just seem very plain and bog-standard to me.  The back design's quite nice (I've seen similar and better; wait for the Harlequins, I think they'll fit that category) but that's about it for me.  Tungstene?  I hate the pip think; seems really gimmicky and ill thought out; being different for the sake of being different.  I LOVE the back design, though; the front of the box, not so much.  The typeface doesn't play well IMO and the whole thing just doesn't strike me as anything special.

Personally, I like S&M enough to put them in the great box&cards list... what else? (*scans collection*)

Well, Blue Crown decks so I guess the Black one is the same or better.
Karnival Dead Eyes (personal choice, a lot of people hate it)
Apex BOM (don't have one? GET ONE!)
Bee Squeezers (I love the Bee box, anyway but these kick it up a notch)
Ellusionist Ultra Gaff (thinking outside the box a bit bit I think you'll agree...)
Split Spades

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I only got the monarchs and steampunk decks for the boxes. I think the Infinity is one of the only decks that has an amazing box and amazing cards...

Going back to this quote. I would agree that the Infinity deck has a great box and cards, but not that it one of the only decks with both.

For example...

• White Lions Deck
  • Black Crown Deck
  • JAQK Deck
  • Fulton's Clip Joint Deck
  • LTD Deck
  • Tungstene Deck (IMO)
These are just a few of the already released ones. You still have the Mana deck, Seasons deck, Revision1 deck, Vortex deck, Tendril deck, Americana deck, etc...

I was just listing a couple. I agree on the white lions, but the black crowns in my experience handle like crap right out of the box and never got better for me. The backs are nice and the faces are basically standard. LTD box? I wouldn't classify that as a good looking box. JAQK is a cool box and I cant comment on the cards since I don't own them.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I agree on the white lions, but the black crowns in my experience handle like crap right out of the box and never got better for me.
...Wait, what? Did I read that right? How many decks have you handled? It might have been a bad one...
What do you think of the Artifice handling? Normally it should be about the same.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:26:35 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I agree on the white lions, but the black crowns in my experience handle like crap right out of the box and never got better for me.
...Wait, what? Did I read that right? How many decks have you handled? It might have been a bad one...
What do you think of the Artifice handling? Normally it should be about the same.

I think it must be a bad deck. I know how to fan, trust me. And right out of the box they were clumping. I worked them in for hours and hours and they never improved. I may open another one but it'd nothing compared to the shadow masters, or even the artifice. the artifice has great handling IMO, and so do the blades, and white lions which i've handled.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

I think it must be a bad deck. I know how to fan, trust me. And right out of the box they were clumping. I worked them in for hours and hours and they never improved. I may open another one but it'd nothing compared to the shadow masters, or even the artifice. the artifice has great handling IMO, and so do the blades, and white lions which i've handled.
Wow! Same thing about the Green Crown v2 for me. Weird!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:23:01 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I may open another one but it'd nothing compared to the shadow masters, or even the artifice.
They have what seems to me like the same stock, and we know for a fact that the finish is the same. I would say they are, in fact, easily compared(Though in terms of design, I do prefer the Artifice.)
Mines don't clump at all - and no deck with magic finish should. I would say either you got a bad deck, or you had sweaty hands when you opened them(but that should be fixed with time, so the bad deck is more likely.)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For all of you having the clumping issues with Magic Finish decks, have you tried using a bit of fanning powder?  It could improve the performance a lot.  If you don't have/can't find/can't afford fanning powder, a pure talc powder with no moisturizers in it would be a decent improvised substitute.

Also, humidity and temperature can affect the stock and finish - keep them moderately dry (not dessicated) at room temperature as much as possible.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I may open another one but it'd nothing compared to the shadow masters, or even the artifice.
They have what seems to me like the same stock, and we know for a fact that the finish is the same. I would say they are, in fact, easily compared(Though in terms of design, I do prefer the Artifice.)
Mines don't clump at all - and no deck with magic finish should. I would say either you got a bad deck, or you had sweaty hands when you opened them(but that should be fixed with time, so the bad deck is more likely.)

I washed my hands right before I used them. And I had no problems with the artifice deck. Not sure what's up but it just disappointed me. And I just took them out now about a month later and they are the same.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I washed my hands right before I used them. And I had no problems with the artifice deck. Not sure what's up but it just disappointed me. And I just took them out now about a month later and they are the same.

Try the fanning powder.  It could make the difference in handling.  Either that or request an exchange from BC.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/