Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The creative guy at D&D put up this Instagram picture today. Looks like, uh, a chinese restaurant menu, sort of. Hmm, not sure what to make of that.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: New Deck? - D&D Chinatown?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That is definitely the box of the deck. You can see the flaps the side says "company" like the D&D playing card company.
This look really cool

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Heres another pic

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Dan and Dave tweet

"
Year of The Dragon begins Monday, January 23rd.  @ Chinatown, Los Angeles http://instagr.am/p/iDxz4/

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
when are they going to release it ??

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
when are they going to release it ??
Based on their tweet, it sounds like January 23rd but we don't know for sure

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Ohh, I'm excited now. Hopefully this deck will be more pleasing than the vintage decks were  >:(
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
Ohh, I'm excited now. Hopefully this deck will be more pleasing than the vintage decks were  >:(

Or most of their recent decks for that matter. I really think they're starting to push it with yet another release..
But I guess this one looks kinda cool, so I have my fingers crossed.
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
Its scary how many decks they can release in such a short amount of time. Not saying it's a bad thing. D&D always puts up quality deck which look awesome. But somehow they have to stop for a moment and let all of us card collectors rest. But after telling this , I'll be most likely picking a few up as I'll be celebrating Chinese New Year too!
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
A really interesting deck, depending on the final design and I might pick some up from them.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Should we wait for a valentine deck next month?

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
My thoughts: No.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Care to elaborate?

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Care to elaborate?

Sure thing. Releasing 1-2 decks a month is pointless. They're over saturating the market. I'm not even sure what relation they have to the Chinese people. Where was the inspiration drawn from? It's as baffling as me making a Columbian-inspired deck.

Also, this is hardly new. We had two Chinese New Year decks come out just last year (Gong Xi Fa Cai and another one).
Forum Founder.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member
The bad thing is you wont get this before chinese new year, so you can't use it on the day

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

nimblewitted

I'm interested in seeing if D&D managed to keep up their reputation for clean and professional decks and yet somehow incorporate the potentially cheesy dragon designs.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
i hope they don't let us down with the deck design . :) 

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »

Masque

• True Member
Frankly I'd rather be slightly let down by the deck design, but have it with fantastic stock and finish (v6!) than have a design I love but have the stock suffer (Fulton's).

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:07 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?

Mmm, not their usual style with the design but it looks nice for a deck for Chinese new year...  :)

Yeah, like LauR said, can't use it for Chinese new year this year, have to wait for another 12 years for another dragon year  :'(

Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Sure thing. Releasing 1-2 decks a month is pointless. They're over saturating the market. I'm not even sure what relation they have to the Chinese people. Where was the inspiration drawn from? It's as baffling as me making a Columbian-inspired deck.

Also, this is hardly new. We had two Chinese New Year decks come out just last year (Gong Xi Fa Cai and another one).

The connection: LA has a large and vibrant Chinatown community, similar to New York City's.  They're based in LA, could possibly be located in or near Chinatown, either residentially or professionally.

While the deck box looks pretty sharp, I agree that we've already had Chinatown and Chinese-themed decks before.  And we've all had WAY TOO MANY Buck Brothers decks since what, Thanksgiving?  It would seem that they're not just milking the deck collector market, but pushing the boundaries of the market bubble to the brink of bursting, if not past that point.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

The connection: LA has a large and vibrant Chinatown community, similar to New York City's.  They're based in LA, could possibly be located in or near Chinatown, either residentially or professionally.

While the deck box looks pretty sharp, I agree that we've already had Chinatown and Chinese-themed decks before.  And we've all had WAY TOO MANY Buck Brothers decks since what, Thanksgiving?  It would seem that they're not just milking the deck collector market, but pushing the boundaries of the market bubble to the brink of bursting, if not past that point.

I'm pretty sure if you listen close enough you can hear a loud POP...
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?

I agree, too many decks have been released in such as short amount of time, Fulton's Clip, Fantastique, Vintage Plaids, Arrcos, not to mention Jerry's and Tungstene from D&D on top of the other cards released by other companies as well..
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »

Masque

• True Member
Also D&D have traveled to China in the past, and have friends there.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow I go to school and work and come back and Dan and Dave have another deck!! What is going on? Who unleashed the flood gates?

This could actually be pretty cool!! Dan and Dave do good work even if they are putting out too much right now. I haven't been a huge fan of these type of decks in the past so it'll be interesting to see if they can change my mind with this deck.

I'm not going to complain too much about there being too many decks because it won't do much good. We've made our voice heard and if it is really a huge problem we can just email them. It's a business though and they are doing what they choose to do.
All it does for me is makes me really think critically about each deck. Is it worth it? I've had to pass on the past couple D&D decks because of the onslaught of new decks. Part of me hates it but the other part loves it. It makes the decks I do decide to buy more worthwhile to me and the decks that I don't get I can always pick up at a later date.

Back on topic though... I'm very interested to see how this one turns out
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I agree, too many decks have been released in such as short amount of time, Fulton's Clip, Fantastique, Vintage Plaids, Arrcos, not to mention Jerry's and Tungstene from D&D on top of the other cards released by other companies as well..

Well, it's hard to definitively say the bubble has burst.  Right now we're in the midst of the standard seasonal retail downtown - everyone's getting their credit card bills from Christmas, they just got a mess of gifts, there's less demand.  There'll be a bump for the SuperBowl in snacks, beer and big TVs, another at Valentine's Day for the standard accoutrement of that holiday (including restaurant dining), but the rest of retail doesn't generally recover until it's getting closer to spring.

Having said that, I've been noticing that while some decks have retained their value well, others have been going for less than their normal going rate on eBay.  Or maybe I'm wrong?  What do you people think?

And the deck does look nice - I think that the red/gold image is the card back (I first thought it was another part of the box).  If so, it really looks pretty sharp and not chintzy.  While there is a Chinese New Year deck from Bicycle, I think this one will beat the pants of that one with one joker tied behind its back.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/