Dominus Playing Cards - KS

Author (Read 2949 times)

Dominus Playing Cards - KS
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
NPCC Printed deck with Delicious Artwork.
Dominus Playing Cards
By Nicolai Aarøe

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Dominus Playing Cards - KS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:53:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Noir Arts is getting more print work it seems.  Has their quality improved at all?  The last I heard, it wasn't that great.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Noir Arts is getting more print work it seems.  Has their quality improved at all?  The last I heard, it wasn't that great.

Comments in this guy's last project seem to confirm that it still is sub-par. I, rather critically, asked if he had any plans to stretch-goal a better printer and he made it clear he wasn't, that he was happy with NPCC's quality (read: price)
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:44:57 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I can't speak for the recent decks. My experience with the quality of the two decks I do have printed by NPCC isn't what I could call good. It's acceptable for something like a board game playing card or something that isn't intended on being used very hard. As a deck that will experience many shuffling, dealing, twirling, bending, or possible tossing is another story entirely. The NPCC decks I have experience with are just not up to snuff. The quality of the printing on the cards themselves is also not the greatest. It's a good effort but the fine details seemed a little not so fine. At some point I hope they're able to improve their production but for now I would consider NPCC printed decks lacking the quality many of us have come to enjoy from other printers and I include MPC in this higher quality.

Back to the deck offered in this campaign I can say the art sure looks interesting and engaging. Definitely some conversation to come out of these images if they're able to stand up to table play and a little playing abuse. I think they're beautiful but I would really like to see the pips on the dark deck not housing skulls. I'm not a lover of skulls stuck everywhere and I feel like that ever lasting trend has run it's course. Really though, The KoD has HORNS! The QoD has... I don't even know what's going on there haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Dominus (KS)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

(Will link to KS project page)

2 limited ed. decks with metallic ink and gold foiled, embossed tucks. Vol. II in the 'Light vs. Darkness' series by Nicolai Aarøe.

Dominus illustrates the damaging physical and psychological effects of political ambition on those who seek to gain power through activities related to the underworld and dark magic. Dominus seek to represent light and darkness with a mirrored 2-deck theme, Divinus and Obscura.

4 Knights (Jacks), 4 Queens and 4 Kings of European monarchies. All illustrated on their moral right paths in the Divinus deck, while the Obscura deck features the same rulers in their darker versions.

► Designed in collaboration with more than 600 backers!
► Limited Ed. (1.600 of each edition)
► Gold foiled and embossed tuck boxes (no printing)
► Numbered and matching tuck seals 
► Deluxe matte and sturdy tuck boxes
► 100% custom design of cards, pips and tucks
► Mirrored front and back designs
► Metallic ink with gold pigment on card backs + fronts
► 54 poker sized cards (52+2 jokers)
► Printed by NPCC with highest quality linen stock
► Vol. II in the 'Light vs. Darkness' series
► Savings on each deck with higher pledges
► All decks shipped to backers in protective boxes
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:56:30 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Dominus (KS)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Card faces

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Queue'd for merging with existing topic haha.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Damn. I even commented on the other one, haha.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Queue'd for merging with existing topic haha.  ;)

Merged.

I'll say here what I said on the topic for Bone and Ebon - don't pay premium prices for inferior products.  Contact the creator, express your dissatisfaction with the decks you have from NPCC and convince him to switch if he wants your backing.  MPC can't be that much more expensive, and with enough backing, Legends, Expert and even USPC aren't beyond reach.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Contact the creator, express your dissatisfaction with the decks you have from NPCC and convince him to switch if he wants your backing.  MPC can't be that much more expensive, and with enough backing, Legends, Expert and even USPC aren't beyond reach.

"Justin
If you had held an Indictus deck in your hands right now, that concern of yours might not have been raised to begin with. It seems to me like you got your mind set that one company does wrong while the other does right. There are certainly different views on this. Every company has strengths and weaknesses, but I have no urge to list them here. My choice of printer is based on hands-on experience with both LPCC, USPCC, MPC, EPCC and NPCC as a project creator. There are many factors to take into account, but ultimately NPCC has the best overall score in my book. I am not interested in changing to any of your listed printer companies, if I can avoid it.
I hope for your understanding that I do not praise the concern you raise on fictional grounds, since you are neither a backer of Chivalry nor Indictus. Both decks that represent the technical capabilities of NPCC well.
Cheers"

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Have to say, I like the way he handled that. I don't have a copy of the Indictus deck, the only NPCC deck in my possession at the moment is Branle. Which I have on my desk now and in my hands a moment ago, the other NPCC printed deck I had I can't remember the name is gone. They may have gotten better and changed stock since this deck was printed. Assuming of course that Indictus was done after this. Either way these decks in particular of the Dominus campaign feature some delicious art. If anyone is keen on the images in these decks other things are not hard to overlook in my opinion.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Have to say, I like the way he handled that. I don't have a copy of the Indictus deck, the only NPCC deck in my possession at the moment is Branle. Which I have on my desk now and in my hands a moment ago, the other NPCC printed deck I had I can't remember the name is gone. They may have gotten better and changed stock since this deck was printed. Assuming of course that Indictus was done after this. Either way these decks in particular of the Dominus campaign feature some delicious art. If anyone is keen on the images in these decks other things are not hard to overlook in my opinion.

It was a good response, and I could have asked a lot nicer than I did. I am in for this and also Bone/Ebon for the art, we remain skeptical of the quality, we will see how they turn out I guess.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I personally can't give a solid opinion based on product in hand.  I don't have an NPCC deck.  I've seen their web site some months back and it didn't instill confidence.  What people have been telling me about their NPCC decks also doesn't instill confidence; they were dissatisfied with the overall quality, even down to the printing.

Based on what I know, as imperfect as that knowledge is, and until I receive new, reliable intel, I would not purchase an NPCC-made deck, nor would I recommend one.  That's about all I can say about it.  If I should ever handle an NPCC deck, then I'd get to form a more reliable opinion.