• YouTube:
Forum Founder.

Re: The Only Kickstarter Project You Need To Fund This Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:04:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
"Hmmm...."

[look=pensive]

"Ah, er... uh...  umm..."

[/look]

[look=dumbfounded]

(no, that is not a line of dialog from the script...but it probably should be)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:05:32 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
yep...

And great story line btw...

During an unfortunate series of events a friend of Kung Fury is assasinated by the most dangerous kung fu master criminal of all time; Adolf Hitler, a.k.a Kung Führer. Kung Fury decides to travel back in time, to Nazi Germany, in order to kill Hitler and end the Nazi empire once and for all.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
But why travel to Nazi Germany, when Hitler is in the prime of his power, when you could go back further and kill one of his parents to achieve the same ends with much greater ease?

(Oh, wait, this is a cheesy movie based on other cheesy movies...  Nearly forgot...  I guess this makes it "cheesy squared"!)

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Alex - I want back the 5:59 I spent watching that.  I don't think this would be considered a "B" movie or "C" movie.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Alex - I want back the 5:59 I spent watching that.  I don't think this would be considered a "B" movie or "C" movie.

It's more or less a tongue in cheek parody of B-list 80s action movies, which is why it's so awesome.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's more or less a tongue in cheek parody of B-list 80s action movies, which is why it's so awesome.

No such thing as a "C" movie, Russ.  The term "B-movie" came around in the age of the double feature.  You really made a day of going to the movies back then, easily three to five hours spent within those walls.  The closest equivalent to the term "B-movie" would be from music - "opening act".  It was the extra film you showed to pad out the bill.  You'd start with some cartoons, a newsreel (in the pre-TV days),  ads for upcoming features and to entice you to buy at the concession stand (where theaters to this day make the bulk of their income) and then the "B-movie", functioning like sort of an appetizer to the "A-movie", the main show of the bill.  The B-movie tended to be shorter, lighter material, between an hour and ninety minutes.

Some theaters would also show "serials", the pre-television equivalent of a TV show, with a new episode every week - it encouraged repeat business.  Most were only a half-hour or so per episode, about 10-15 weekly episodes for the entire story, very cheaply made, and were either Westerns or science fiction.  Depending on the length of the B-movie and the whims of the theater owner, this would be shown either with the B-movie or perhaps even to replace the B-movie.

It wasn't until the 1950s that B-movies started getting a bum rap.  Serials and newsreels were pretty much done with the advent of TV, so former serial directors would turn to doing their low-budget productions as feature-length films, which is why there was such an onslaught of cheap, bad films of the era, in particular monster movies - a decent rubber suit was considered good enough for most, basically being the largest expenditure on the "special effects" budget.

By the 1970s, double features were becoming a dying breed, one that was pretty much executed in the 1980s.  People had less free time and couldn't spend a whole day at the theater, and with the advent of the multiplex theater, you could be running many movies at once rather than only two movies on one screen.  Studios rushed to fill that need, hence a new wave of B-movies were born, where instead of being the weak half of a double feature, they were the main attraction of a single-film presentation, though not usually playing in the biggest auditorium in the multiplex, reserved for blockbuster films that could fill every seat available.

Wow, did I go tangential...  I should adjust my meds, that's the second time today I've done that!  :))

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
> I should adjust my meds

Yes.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

No such thing as a "C" movie, Russ.  The term "B-movie" came around in the age of the double feature.  You really made a day of going to the movies back then, easily three to five hours spent within those walls.  The closest equivalent to the term "B-movie" would be from music - "opening act".  It was the extra film you showed to pad out the bill.  You'd start with some cartoons, a newsreel (in the pre-TV days),  ads for upcoming features and to entice you to buy at the concession stand (where theaters to this day make the bulk of their income) and then the "B-movie", functioning like sort of an appetizer to the "A-movie", the main show of the bill.  The B-movie tended to be shorter, lighter material, between an hour and ninety minutes.

Some theaters would also show "serials", the pre-television equivalent of a TV show, with a new episode every week - it encouraged repeat business.  Most were only a half-hour or so per episode, about 10-15 weekly episodes for the entire story, very cheaply made, and were either Westerns or science fiction.  Depending on the length of the B-movie and the whims of the theater owner, this would be shown either with the B-movie or perhaps even to replace the B-movie.

It wasn't until the 1950s that B-movies started getting a bum rap.  Serials and newsreels were pretty much done with the advent of TV, so former serial directors would turn to doing their low-budget productions as feature-length films, which is why there was such an onslaught of cheap, bad films of the era, in particular monster movies - a decent rubber suit was considered good enough for most, basically being the largest expenditure on the "special effects" budget.

By the 1970s, double features were becoming a dying breed, one that was pretty much executed in the 1980s.  People had less free time and couldn't spend a whole day at the theater, and with the advent of the multiplex theater, you could be running many movies at once rather than only two movies on one screen.  Studios rushed to fill that need, hence a new wave of B-movies were born, where instead of being the weak half of a double feature, they were the main attraction of a single-film presentation, though not usually playing in the biggest auditorium in the multiplex, reserved for blockbuster films that could fill every seat available.

Wow, did I go tangential...  I should adjust my meds, that's the second time today I've done that!  :))

Although I do love reading your endless array of knowledge, I must chime in and say there is such a thing as C-movies. There's also Z-movies.

You'd find a lot of C movies during the 80s when cable tv was at an uprise. It held a double duty not only was it a lower budget film than a B movie but also stood for cable. Helping to popularise the notion of C movie was a tv series called Mystery Science Theatre 3000. It presented cheap low grade movies, primarily from the 50s and 60s. If you research director Ed Wood it should give you more insight into it. He was famous for C and Z movies.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:06:34 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Although I do love reading your endless array of knowledge, I must chime in and say there is such a thing as C-movies. There's also Z-movies.

You'd find a lot of C movies during the 80s when cable tv was at an uprise. It held a double duty not only was it a lower budget film than a B movie but also stood for cable. Helping to popularise the notion of C movie was a tv series called Mystery Science Theatre 3000. It presented cheap low grade movies, primarily from the 50s and 60s. If you research director Ed Wood it should give you more insight into it. He was famous for C and Z movies.

Actually MST3K presented lots of really bad B-movies.  I'm very familiar with Ed Wood.

You're missing the point.  It's where "A-list celebrities" come from - they appeared in A-movies, the main attractions.  C-movie is a made-up term, as is Z-movie, meaning it's a really, really bad film.  Triple features weren't exactly common, and that would have been where a term like "C-movie" would have come from.  Those cheap movies you saw on cable were just that decade's version of the B-movie, some of which eventually were released as "made-for-cable" or "direct-to-video" as the double feature went the way of real butter on popcorn.  Instead of one auditorium showing one double feature, theaters were broken up into twins, triplexes, multiplexes, etc., so people wanting to see two movies had to buy two tickets (except in the theaters with more lax security and staff).  Studios were very resistant to the move away from a theatrical release, because it meant their releases wouldn't be considered for Academy Awards - but when they saw both an opportunity to make money and the ridiculousness of the statement considering the quality of some of the movies in question, they relented and it's become a valuable tool in Hollywood's money-making arsenal.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Does anyone realise that this project is actually funded?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kungfury/kung-fury?ref=nav_search

Lets wait for its release....

Yep....

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Does anyone realise that this project is actually funded?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kungfury/kung-fury?ref=nav_search

Lets wait for its release....

Yep....

So, about that release...  Are we talking Netflix Exclusive, late-night Skin-emax or SyFy? (SyFy lost their "sci-fi" when they had too much to drink at Comic-Con and woke up in bed with a wrestler, a dino-shark and a ghost hunter...)