You are Here:
NEW DECK: Theory11 Rebel deck

Author (Read 32166 times)

Re: NEW DECK: Theory11 Rebel deck
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »

Adam

same crap with theory11....... make a good box and create a back design and leave the rest standard. im truly getting sick of it.they need to make more custom decks like jaqks.re colouring is just not enough!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

Frank16Gr

• Newcomer
just signed in, found one White monarchs in my cart !

add one rebels, one silver monarchs, one standard monarchs, one stingers, one charity water ~37$ without shipping but my total was 75$ (and with shipping 93$) !!! i send them a message, then try to add a coupon to add a deck one or  a sentinels that i didnt have and ...

504 Gateway Time-out  ....

edit: they already answer me

"This (price problem) is probably caused by the White Monarch in your cart. That is a glitch. Remove the White Monarch and everything else in your cart and try again. That should fix things for you."

:(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:45:52 AM by Frank16Gr »

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Guys, if you are disappointed with the "yet again" standard faces, here's a tip.

VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY and don't buy them. That's the only thing that will work. Personally I'm really disappointed that they give these to a world-famous artist and they can't do anything even slightly different. Sheesh. I know that people "are used to" the standard faces and all that but come on, you are telling me that you can't even take the border off, or maybe redraw a face, or maybe change the costuming?

Lazy. They don't even bother to put a picture of the faces on the website.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm in a love-hate relationship with these decks. The backs are absolutely immaculate, as wel as the box an the tax-stamped seal. Although the faces are just recolored, and the pipa are normal, I feel the pro's absolutely outweigh the con's in this deck. Is it as good ad they made it out to be? Absolutely not. Are the backs and box gorgeous and does it make up for the lack of customization? Well that's just a matter of opinion.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

Adam

i know it has a nice box but i dont spend hard earned money on cards so i can look at the box. i want the cards to be great no acceptable. i completely agree with paul but i know people wont stop buying their standard decks with a fancy box and new back design.

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I don't know how you guys feel on the back design, but I'm not really liking it. Sure, it's customized and reminds me on the Sentinels, but why did you have to put the Capitol on it? I know it has to do with the rebellious theme, but really? Arg!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I can't believe you guys are complaining...
Both decks released today are F******* Epic!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:31:06 PM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Silver Monarchs are a simple easy recoloring of a deck that has already been recolored. The Rebels do look awesome and I like them but it just sucks that they aren't fully custom.

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Silver Monarchs are a simple easy recoloring of a deck that has already been recolored. The Rebels do look awesome and I like them but it just sucks that they aren't fully custom.

Yes, But who cares?? it works and is awesome!
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Who cares? A lot of the Playing Card Community cares!
Are you a collector?

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
The silver monarchs are just like the silver steampunks. Same box recoloration idea. And the back design is almost the same as the white monarchs. How ridiculous. As for this deck, the box looks great, and so does the seal. To me the capitol on the back design is completely out of place. And as for the custom faces, this is just plainly disappointed. Joker and the Thief, do you now understand why we are disappointed?

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
They are now selling Rebel Uncut Sheets!

http://www.theory11.com/gear/rebel-uncut-sheet

« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
WOW... I just realized how similar the Sentinels and Rebels back designs are. Anyone else see the major resemblance?

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am pretty much done with T11`s decks, they are overhyped and mediocre at best, I suggest that anyone wanting to buy their decks invest their money in other well-made decks (Ornate, Seasons, Vortex, Tendril, Galvanic to name a few) instead of wasting your hard-earned money on these decks, really it is an insult to collectors, pretty much saying "we are an established company so we can put 10 hours into a deck and make 10x the money someone who puts 100 hours in does."

In all these variations of the monarchs they can't even be bothered to make the faces match the white decks. Also they only show you pictures of the box on the product page so you dont see how ugly the decks really are.

People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I am pretty much done with T11`s decks, they are overhyped and mediocre at best, I suggest that anyone wanting to buy their decks invest their money in other well-made decks (Ornate, Seasons, Vortex, Tendril, Galvanic to name a few) instead of wasting your hard-earned money on these decks, really it is an insult to collectors, pretty much saying "we are an established company so we can put 10 hours into a deck and make 10x the money someone who puts 100 hours in does."

In all these variations of the monarchs they can't even be bothered to make the faces match the white decks. Also they only show you pictures of the box on the product page so you dont see how ugly the decks really are.
Amen. I find this just ridiculous. Plus, with the "gotta collect 'em all" mentality (that I have as well), we are just pushed into buying those tactics JUST to be up to date with the newest releases and to have them all.

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
It was all good just a week ago,
jiggas feel theyselves
And then Rebels dropped,
jiggas kill theyselves

*6 people will get they*

Seriously though why are you all mad? The deck is beautiful with or without custom faces. If you seriously get this hurt and pissed over a few decks not having custom faces you need to go to a different hobby.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »

Noobmachine

It was all good just a week ago,
jiggas feel theyselves
And then Rebels dropped,
jiggas kill theyselves

*6 people will get they*

Seriously though why are you all mad? The deck is beautiful with or without custom faces. If you seriously get this hurt and pissed over a few decks not having custom faces you need to go to a different hobby.

Yep couldn't agree more, custom faces aren't everything, it is clear from that badass intricate box design that there has been some decent amount of work and effort put into designing this deck, gotta give them some credit.... I personally will be getting 2 or 3, I really like the standard faces/ barely recoloured faces, they don't stand out or draw suspicion during performances and they are still classy as ever :) Also to all the collectors out there, what does it matter how the cards themselves look like, as a collector we rarely even open the tuck boxes, and if I were forced to stare at just the tuck, I wouldn't mind staring at the gorgeous design of the rebels :P Just my 2 cents.
Empty lousy signature is lousy and empty :(

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2012, 02:07:59 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Who cares? A lot of the Playing Card Community cares!
Are you a collector?

No I am not a collector. I understand why you guys are disappointed. I've been really physched for the rebels. I just don't see it as that bad of a problem. The recolouration has been somewhat annoying I must admit but on the other hand, the silver monarchs were specifically created to compensate for the demand and design of the white monarchs without making them white monarchs. Overall it's not a huge problem.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Not complaining...but rather stating our opinions. If they aren't up to par with yours, then so be it.

WOW... I just realized how similar the Sentinels and Rebels back designs are. Anyone else see the major resemblance?
I mentioned it in my earlier post. - I know right!

custom faces aren't everything, it is clear from that badass intricate box design that there has been some decent amount of work and effort put into designing this deck, gotta give them some credit

We know that custom faces "aren't everything", but it's the lack of customization that's bothering us. I'm sure that they wanted all FOUR Monarchs to be identical, but they could have just did something better. At least, they didn't have a repeat of the Titanium decks. With those, they just embossed the box and made it a shade lighter/darker. However, these (the Monarchs) might just be off the mark of the Titanium v2's. Also, we know that there WAS some effort in the box design, but that box was created long ago, when the GM were released. We gave them credit for the box long ago, but with the constant repeat and recoloring, how much effort can be given now? With this "new" release, the most credit we can give them is a few hours hopping on Paint and substituting certain colors, not counting the hours of accounting and shipping...of course. :D
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2012, 04:29:12 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Not complaining...but rather stating our opinions. If they aren't up to par with yours, then so be it.

Fair enough :)
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
same overhyping as the monarchs, recolouring of court cards and pips
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »

vmagic

I agree, Theory11 is getting DAMN lazy. Why can't they come up with something totally original if all these other Kickstarter and HOPC guys can? Maybe they need to hire some fresh blood in their creative department or something. Have they ever had any decks with custom court cards outside of the Sentinels and not including JAQKS since they didn't design them? Even DeckOne is a recoloring of the standard court cards at most. I hope their next deck is totally custom but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry for ranting!

« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I agree, Theory11 is getting DAMN lazy. Why can't they come up with something totally original if all these other Kickstarter and HOPC guys can? Maybe they need to hire some fresh blood in their creative department or something. Have they ever had any decks with custom court cards outside of the Sentinels and not including JAQKS since they didn't design them? Even DeckOne is a recoloring of the standard court cards at most. I hope their next deck is totally custom but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry for ranting!

To be honest, THEY did not over hype, they didn't even mention it until it was released.

Also, why hire a design team when their current business model works (very well) and they sell 1,000's of decks.  The average consumer obviously only cares about box/ace/joker.

I'm neither condemning or condoning what T11 does, they are a successful company that puts out quality products.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's a lot of shouting, ranting, raving, etc. about T11's decks.  I actually used to be one of you guys, lodging similar complaints.  Then I got more serious about practicing magic.

T11 is first and foremost a MAGIC company, in much the same way that E is.  They both have a similar format - DVDs and downloads, few to no books, focus on varying skill levels.

I had a back-and-forth via the interwebs with Zenneth Kok, a reknown working magician.  His new "Project C" Bee cards won't have custom faces, as his Gold Seal New Fan Backs didn't.  His reason is that his spectators might like a really attractive pack of cards with a cool back design, but that they IDENTIFY more with the standard faces, even if you simply recolor them a bit.  They're familiar, they're what they play with at home, it's what they expect playing cards to look like.  It's not even a matter of making the deck "plainer" so as to "not raise suspicion" among spectators.  They recognize standard faces more readily than they do custom ones.

So for magicians, faces that are basically standard, maybe with a slightly improved color scheme, are perfect tools for them.  We know they reprint decks, and they're even starting to admit as much with the re-release of the Sentinels (with much better handling) and the Rebels uncut sheet (which is clearly described as a "first edition printing", to be followed by a "second edition printing", etc.).

The rare stuff is the collector bait, but it's not their bread and butter - the sell at normal retail, not aftermarket prices.  When they're gone, they're gone, period.  The bread and butter are their "unlimited" decks which get reprinted.  And their magic, of course.  Since they're a magic company, and not solely a deck design house.

Nathan (and anyone else with his self-confessed problem), if you're afflicted with gotta-get-em-all-itis, that's your problem and you should seek treatment.  I'm beginning to walk away from more releases than I'm buying.  Not because of a lack of funds (though the costs do build up), but because there's only so many decks a person can have before they stop enjoying them all for more than the simple fact of ownership.

And, lest we forget: if you don't like it, you are NOT BEING FORCED TO BUY IT.  Walk away.  I've been doing it with the recent D&D releases, and I don't miss them a bit.  Others as well, some of which I thought were gorgeous.  The main reason why I am able to do this is that I have control over my hobby, not the other way around.

While in Florida, I came to a rather surprising conclusion.  I like to perform magic.  This means that I'll be using and abusing decks when "in the field", some of which won't survive the return trip.  I made a point on this trip to only bring decks that are common, easily replaceable and that I had many copies of.  This way, if any (or all) of the decks ended up destroyed, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.  It was very liberating to me to not have that concern over my head about trashing a rare or hard-to-get deck.  Granted, I love most of the attractive and rare decks that I own and don't use as much for magic, but I need to get in the habit of using those for my personal pleasure and only buying small quantities.  No bricks, no half-bricks, not even three - just two.

Further, while I love most, there are some decks I have that I'm not so fond of after all.  Those decks I'm happy to get rid of - and will, in the near future, as I start my return to eBay selling (I have to move those Americana decks somehow, and I had few takers here).  My investment partner took half, found he couldn't sell them to save his life, then returned them to me, so I still have perhaps 11 bricks.

If you have control, it's a hobby.  If the hobby has control, it's a form of addiction.

Back to the topic at hand, I think the Rebels are a sharp-looking deck.  The Capitol building on the deck backs is sort of a throwback to the old Congress playing cards designs, which also had the Capitol Building.  The "plain" faces to me look great with the chosen color scheme.  To me, the all-black-and-white back is gorgeous.  The box, while not the primary feature, really does look sharp as well - I could picture this deck being around at the post-WWI era, perhaps being dealt in a coffeehouse or the back of a speakeasy.  Hell, I could envision Navy pilots playing a round in the carrier's ready room with this deck before a mission in the Pacific, circa the early 1940s.  It's classy, period.

I would respectfully request that you keep this topic for comments directly about the Rebel deck, and save Silver Monarch comments for that topic, and gripes about T11's deck designs as a whole in a new topic.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
From what I can see, Shepard Fairey did not design this deck or have anything to do with this deck.  From what I understand, it was designed by the studio that he founded... Which I understand to mean that some artists working for the studio in conjunction with T11 designed the deck... Although I like the deck and will probably pick at least one up, I am a bit dismayed that Fairey did not design this deck... If I am mistaken in any way, would someone please let me know...

@Don... You hit the nail on the head... Not only is it financially liberating to stop collecting every piece of rubbish that is printed just because it says USPCC on the box, but more importantly it is mentally liberating as well... I stopped this quite some time ago and now only collect what I love... And believe it or not, I now actually open a deck here and there...