You are Here:
Red Tune Playing Cards

Author (Read 1183 times)

Red Tune Playing Cards
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
Another deck from Aloys. I've only found this picture at my Facebook, that's all I've gotten so far.
From what I can read, the deck is called Red Tune

Re: Red Tune Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hmmmm, something to keep an eye on  ;)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hmmm was never a big fan of the blue tunes, I liked the white version though. Just looks like another colour change to me
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
Just looks like another colour change to me

Yeah, I agree. I likes the first couple of decks from Aloys, but a lot of the decks are pretty much a simple change of the colours. But I gotta admit that this Red Tune looks interesting

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hmmm was never a big fan of the blue tunes, I liked the white version though. Just looks like another colour change to me

The drawback to being new..........I never knew there were other earlier versions of this, time for some research  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The drawback to being new..........I never knew there were other earlier versions of this, time for some research  ;)

We have articles on them here - the Blue Tune deck and the White Tune deck.  Aloys has a bad habit with her decks - we know a minimum print run is 2,500 and used to be as high as 5,000.  But she releases only a few hundred on her website at prices that are sort of steep.  This creates a feeding frenzy, so invariably some show up on eBay at pirate's prices.  It's even crazier for the White Tune deck, which wasn't made at USPC - it's supposed to be super-rare, very few made available anywhere.

The thing of it that always bothered me is this: what would stop her from taking some of those "unsold" decks and filtering them through third parties onto eBay at the pirate prices?  She gets to charge more up front because of how very limited the edition is, then could get even more in back as they're auctioned off on eBay.  Obviously, one couldn't flood the market with these, but releasing just a handful now and then could add up fast enough.  Alternately, these can end up at jacked prices in other markets, perhaps in other parts of Pacifica and Asia, using the exact same pattern I described above.

If you think about it, any retailer could do exactly the same thing (some have speculated that T11 did this with some "reprinted" sold-out decks of theirs).  But when a deck is rare, most retailers will be up front in terms of how many were made/released.  With her, we have no idea, other than that we know she made far more than she's releasing from the English-language website.  Others like Ellusionist are more transparent in their marketplace dealings.

Granted, it's all conjecture and guesswork, but that whole lack-of-transparency thing just makes the whole business smell a little off.

Hence, I don't own any of them, and don't think they're worth half the hype they receive from collectors.  I've ordered from her before, but only releases of other people's decks - she was the exclusive retailer to the American market (from Singapore, no less!) of the Bicycle Truth Garden decks, nos. 3 & 4 in the Garden Series.  (Don't even ask about nos. 1 & 2, the Cage Garden decks - they're pretty enough, but insanely expensive because of how few made it outside of China and the story according to some people who own it is that it was a victim of the "transition period", resulting in terrible handling.  Aloys wasn't even in business on that site yet when they came out.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
I agree with Don on the whole fishy business. I mean it seems very possible and if you sit down to wonder for awhile it hits you. I didn't really rushed down to purchase one, got a cheap Blue Tune from a re-seller in Singapore to see what's all the hype about. The cards are your typical re-coloured, nice ace and jokers. The heart suits are not your usual ones though, kinda smaller than your average heart. Decent quality, I have no idea which stock they use or the finish but I feel it has this kinda 'cheap' feel on them through the customisation (Ace and joker cards). Well, that's my opinion on the Blue Tune Deck. Didn't bother with the floral deck and I kinda predicted they would do the colour trick , same story different page; same deck different colour. I'm not really against it or for it as I do own all the shades of TBC, Artifice and S&Ms but there's a limit, after awhile people DO get bored.
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
If somebody's interested, here's the link to the page for the Red Tune

http://www.aloysstudio.com/goods-41732.html

360 decks released