Author (Read 3439 times)

Playing Cards by Eva Jo (KS)
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Playing Cards

"Playing Cards" is a deck of cards that tell a story. It is an artbook.  It is a functional deck of cards.  Each time you shuffle the deck, the story changes. It is full of possibilities.

There is nothing here to let a backer know what they are getting. Why would this person think this would be successful?  Not just in the playing card world, but as a KS project in general. I don't know if this person is lazy, or just has no clue.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Playing Cards by Eva Jo (KS)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
What is with all the lousy projects this week? ???
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
You can't really call it lousy yet - there's not enough of it showing to make any determination!

Edit: WATCH THE VIDEO.  Makes a HUGE difference.

It's not a deck for playing.  It really is a story in cards.  Pretty cool, combined with the music!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:54:35 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
In terms of art decks, this is one of the absolute coolest I've ever seen. I like that she's willing to share something that is obviously personal to her with the world on kickstarter. Timing on this isn't the best, it's understandable she'd like to get these out by christmas, but it's a bad time to launch a $25 deck of art cards.

I think targeting it as a gift idea for someone else other  than the backer themselves limits many of the projects we've seen spring up recently and will see in the very near future as they try to fund and ship before the holidays arrive. Playing cards do make great gifts, absolutely they do, but kickstarter backers usually back because it's something they like, not because they're looking for gifts to arrive last minute then turn around and send out. Most of us who enjoy playing cards as a part of our daily lives, well we tend to plan a bit better than that.

Anyway, enough blah blah out of me. Absolutely great art deck!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
The art has a quirky raw style, I am not really into it though.
The project as a whole seems really unplanned. If the deck was first designed 20 years ago, what is the rush now? How can they get to people by Christmas if they are shipping from China? The price seems insane to me. My opinion of an "Art deck" has changed recently. Traditional decks are still a work of art to me in their own way. I think the deck should still be useful as a deck of cards. If she really likes to play card games then she would know importance of indices placement. The whole KS page needs more images and more work.
Easy pass for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:43:25 PM by Rose »

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I'm the reason there should be more pictures. I didn't even know there was a video. I usually never watch them. So this is a better than I thought, but if I hadn't read a few of our comments here. I would have never given the project a second look. I think most people browsing KS would do the same.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I'm the reason there should be more pictures. I didn't even know there was a video. I usually never watch them. So this is a better than I thought, but if I hadn't read a few of our comments here. I would have never given the project a second look. I think most people browsing KS would do the same.
Well you're not alone. I missed the video too... Oops.  But still the project itself is lacking...Not to mention the price is too high. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The project as a whole seems really unplanned. If the deck was first designed 20 years ago, what is the rush now? How can they get to people by Christmas if they are shipping from China? The price seems insane to me. My opinion of an "Art deck" has changed recently. Traditional decks are still a work of art to me in their own way. I think the deck should still be useful as a deck of cards. If she really likes to play card games then she would know importance of indices placement. The whole KS page needs more images and more work.
Easy pass for me.

The deck price has everything to do being a short order.  If the order is short enough, the decks can be flown in, slicing delivery time from weeks to days.

I think this is a deck that would look AWESOME on the uncut sheet!  It's like reading a short story on a poster!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Likewise, i would never watch the video if i didn't read it here. The concept is great. The video made me like the deck of cards. But the artwork is a meh, most of it is ok...but that's that, just ok. And the pricing, seriously...are they really printing in some gold infused ink or something that i don't know about? Everybody's jumping into "my deck is worth THAAAAAAT much" price range. I understand you put in effort you want rewards, but come on, I don't design my customers houses and charge them Le Corbusier, or paint and charge them Picasso.

I also seriously think this laminated piece of paper deck actually will look better than if it were printed on actual cards. (As an art piece)

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I also seriously think this laminated piece of paper deck actually will look better than if it were printed on actual cards. (As an art piece)

That's the point - those are the hand-made prototypes she's been carrying around and the project is to make them into a professionally-manufactured deck.

I mentioned to her that we have a topic on her deck and invited her to come by and make an account.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:39:54 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

That's the point - those are the hand-made prototypes she's been carrying around and the project is to make them into a professionally-manufactured deck.

I mentioned to her that we have a topic on her deck and invited her to come by and make an account.

I mean she should continue using the laminated paper. Her story now looks like something drawn from a gal using her heart to give to others. Printing it on professionally-manufactured deck doesn't have that same feeling. Of course it probably comes down to execution still.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:56:12 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I mean she should continue using the laminated paper. Her story now looks like something drawn from a gal using her heart to give to others. Printing it on professionally-manufactured deck doesn't have that same feeling. Of course it probably comes down to execution still.

I think you may be right there. Part of the charm is that laminated paper, hand craftedness of it. Regardless, at $25 for a deck it easily falls off the want list. No matter how cool I think it is, at the end of the day it's an extremely expensive deck that I can't use for anything other than a conversation piece.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
The project as a whole seems really unplanned. If the deck was first designed 20 years ago, what is the rush now? How can they get to people by Christmas if they are shipping from China? The price seems insane to me...

+1 [ok, ok, I've forgotten] +1 +1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Yep I think Don is right.  After watching the video this is a true art deck.   "1-way" everything including the back of card.  I don't think this deck is meant to be played with.   Art is a funny thing when you see it...

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I hope I am not the black sheep here but I very rarely see an "art deck" as a good thing. Most the ones I have see did not feel like a complete thing. Yes the artwork was good, but I guess I rather see cards as cards and the art to be the same through out.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 01:06:57 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I don't get it?
I hope I am not the black sheep here but I very rarely see an "art deck" as a good thing. Most the ones I have see did not feel like a complete thing. Yes the artwork was good, but I guess I rather see cards as cards and the art to be the same through out.
Agree. Also I think this is way more art than deck, and the KS category is "Art", so I think it is meant to be seen as art that is presented in deck form.
I was looking at it as a deck with "art" on it and judging it based on that. As an art piece it is okay, it would be better if it could be used as a deck as well. The KS project would have a greater potential.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:15:17 AM by Rose »

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
But for me its any deck that is in that category, they just dont appeal to me.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Art decks usually aren't useful in any serious way we tend to think of using playing cards. They can even suck for solitaire. Still, I think some of them are wonderful. They're art, more for looking at and talking about.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I think that any art on any deck is art. I think there are different degrees of "art" on decks. From the standard faces

all the way to this,

This is Decked Out by Connie Lim

I think this deck by Eva Jo is just a bit too far in over the "Art" side for me.
But for me its any deck that is in that category, they just dont appeal to me.
I really do love art decks in general though, I find the "standard faces" just way to simple and lazy, especially in this exciting new world of deck variety. It is good to know there is a deck for everyone!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:59:34 AM by Rose »

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would grant you that even the most mundane decks have art in them.  But there are decks designed artistically for the playing of card games, and there are decks designed more as a showcase for the art, less for the function.  This is on the more art/less function side.  It could be equal parts both with a few small tweaks to the design.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I don't get it?

Try to post just "+1" on this forum :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I don't get it?

I think it's his way of showing he agrees with you - in essence, like "ditto", or "what you said".  The extra +1s are a sign of strong agreement, though the I've forgotten part is a bit of a mystery...