You are Here:
Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards

Author (Read 17024 times)

Re: Whispering Imps™ Playing Cards
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you Rob and everyone who has helped make this thing happen.   I'm hoping to have the decks printed and shipped well before December.  I took into account the amount of KS decks currently being funded or just recently funded and past experiences of members who have posted on the forums.  I'd rather be early than late on fulfilling rewards....I imagine, with my full time job, it will take me nearly a week or so to pack, print and ship all the rewards myself in the evenings.

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thank you Rob and everyone who has helped make this thing happen.   I'm hoping to have the decks printed and shipped well before December.  I took into account the amount of KS decks currently being funded or just recently funded and past experiences of members who have posted on the forums.  I'd rather be early than late on fulfilling rewards....I imagine, with my full time job, it will take me nearly a week or so to pack, print and ship all the rewards myself in the evenings.

I would suggest taking two days off work where you can spend 8 hours each day fulfilling.  Printing, packing and prepping for postal pick up.  It's strange how slow the process is and if you have to ramp up to a productive rate every night you will be less successfull than if you just dedicate a couple of days to just doing the task at hand.  I have an assembly line workspace that I use (25' x 25') and I set up stations and then do ten fulfillments at each station until complete and start over.  It's like an exercise circuit without all the benefits of muscular tone.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
thanks Alex.  I have a feeling you're right...once the orders are all organized...fulfilling them shouldn't be too much trouble in a few days. 

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 02:28:08 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Really like the new red tuck case design Chris! Great Work Can't Wait to get the red decks as well! The inside pattern is a really nice touch as well.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Thinking this just might become one of my favored decks.
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

A tip: spend the time to get a TON of orders all together before you actually ship them out. That way, more people will get their decks at the same time and you'll minimize the constant barrage of "they got my decks where are mine!??" that will inevitably pop up. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you Jackson and Paul!!  Great to have your support behind the Imps.   I've had an incredible time working with Mark on this deck and it would be amazing to reach the "Special Edition" stretch goal.  I think the red foil would really stand out on the red vellum paper, but a couple people have emailed asking if I would consider using either Gold or Black foil instead. 

What does the Aether community think?

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Depending on the paper, I think a slightly darker shade of red could be very cool. Subtle, yet flashy. Alternately black foil would be the inverse of the plain box, which is also interesting.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I had no idea there was such a thing as black foil...  I guess it would look cool.  I don't see gold as being necessary, though - lots of people use gold.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you Jackson and Paul!!  Great to have your support behind the Imps.   I've had an incredible time working with Mark on this deck and it would be amazing to reach the "Special Edition" stretch goal.  I think the red foil would really stand out on the red vellum paper, but a couple people have emailed asking if I would consider using either Gold or Black foil instead. 

What does the Aether community think?

Maybe a Gaff deck with Imps on all court cards?  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I agree, I don't think Gold would fit this deck so well.  I still feel pretty good about the red foil sticking out on the Red Vellum paper.  I also think the detail of the back embossing is going to look fantastic (if the stretch goal is met). 

Of the 683 backers so far I've only been contacted (either messages or comments) by about 5 or so people asking to see more Imps on the face cards.  I spent a lot of time early in the year trying to figure out if I should add them all over or keep the deck clean.  I ultimately wanted to preserve the overall integrity of the concept...adding Imps all over would have "themed it up" too much and made it look cheesy (in my opinion).  Additionally, this is not, and never was, intended to be an art deck.  There are many other beautifully designed art decks available on KS to back.  In the future I'd love to create an art deck around the Imps, but having a background in magic and being that the inspiration came from a magic poster it only seemed fitting to design the deck for functional and practical use...but remain aesthetically pleasing to the art community.

Oh yes @Collector, the Gaff ideas for this deck are endless...I could put one more in the deck if I remove a Joker (Imp) but I don't think that would please too many people.

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I agree, I don't think Gold would fit this deck so well.  I still feel pretty good about the red foil sticking out on the Red Vellum paper.  I also think the detail of the back embossing is going to look fantastic (if the stretch goal is met). 

Of the 683 backers so far I've only been contacted (either messages or comments) by about 5 or so people asking to see more Imps on the face cards.  I spent a lot of time early in the year trying to figure out if I should add them all over or keep the deck clean.  I ultimately wanted to preserve the overall integrity of the concept...adding Imps all over would have "themed it up" too much and made it look cheesy (in my opinion).  Additionally, this is not, and never was, intended to be an art deck.  There are many other beautifully designed art decks available on KS to back.  In the future I'd love to create an art deck around the Imps, but having a background in magic and being that the inspiration came from a magic poster it only seemed fitting to design the deck for functional and practical use...but remain aesthetically pleasing to the art community.

Oh yes @Collector, the Gaff ideas for this deck are endless...I could put one more in the deck if I remove a Joker (Imp) but I don't think that would please too many people.

One thought regarding a future deck with imps - create a deck where some of the imps promo posters of prominent magicians are the court cards and jokers...  Some are probably public domain, though I imagine there's enough that aren't that it would be a tricky proposition.

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I had some really cool custom rubber stamps made to hand stamp on each package of Whispering Imps going out later this year after they are printed.  Thought I'd share with all of you. 

Also...just 3 days to go in the campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seesquared/whispering-impstm-playing-cards

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I had some really cool custom rubber stamps made to hand stamp on each package of Whispering Imps going out later this year after they are printed.  Thought I'd share with all of you. 

Also...just 3 days to go in the campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seesquared/whispering-impstm-playing-cards

You are going to have a seriously tired arm...  :))  (Looks great!)

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Awesome! That stamp is super cool!

You're right. The small things matter immensely. I can't tell you how much more happy I was with my Misc. Goods deck when I saw the custom stamps and tape on the packaging. Looking back, it probably influenced the fact I love the deck so much. Absolutely stellar work!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2013, 04:06:22 AM »

malcomteo

Is it still available?

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2013, 04:24:55 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The kickstarter is over, you would need to get them from a secondary source once they are printed and shipped. If you had read the kickstarter page, you would also see that they are planning a second edition some time in the future.

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thanks Curt for answering.  This was a rather short run for the Whispering Imps first edition, and they were primarily exclusive to those who backed the project.  There will be a short supply of Black Tuck and Red Tuck decks remaining that will be sold on my website (coming soon) but they won't be available until all orders for backers have been fulfilled and shipped (end of October). 

Second editions and additional products are in the works for the future. 

Good news, all the artwork is complete and about to be proofed by the USPCC.  Once I give the green light, it will take approx. 6-8 weeks for the cards to be printed and shipped to me for distribution.  For my first deck of playing cards, i've very pleased with the incredible support from members of this forum, the magic community and on Kickstarter.  Thank you.

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
For my first deck of playing cards, i've very pleased with the incredible support from members of this forum, the magic community and on Kickstarter.  Thank you.

I think I speak for the gang when I say that it was our pleasure.  With the design you created, the deck practically sold itself!  It didn't hurt having a prominent deck artist on hand, either, someone whose name we know.

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I bought 3, one to play with, one to keep and one to whomever wants to be my new best friend.
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thanks Don.  Mark was really the only person I knew who was right for the job.  He was already familiar with designing playing cards and very familiar with what Imps were AND drawing them....a no brainer in my book...and he totally got the concept from the beginning.  Couldn't be happier with the end result.

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
happy to announce the artwork for the Whispering Imps is 100% complete.  Just waiting for the proofs from the USPCC before going to print!

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
happy to announce the artwork for the Whispering Imps is 100% complete.  Just waiting for the proofs from the USPCC before going to print!

I'm glad to hear that.  Incomplete artwork can be one of the bigger delays in getting a deck made - just ask Lance Miller about the Artist Edition Bicycle Actuators!  He miscalculated how long it would take and his project was delayed by a number of weeks.  The best of all possible worlds is to have it all 95-99% complete before launching - you're basically finished but you have room for tweaks should you find them necessary or desirable.  (But since when do we live in the best of all possible worlds?)  :))

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Update: I received word this morning from the USPC that the Whispering Imps™ are printed, boxed and scheduled to shipped out to me next week...way ahead of schedule!

I will start shipping decks to backers on October 14th.

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Awesome!

By the way, will you be selling any on the aftermarket? I could only get one due to a credit card snag.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)