Newbie Here

Author (Read 781 times)

Newbie Here
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:09 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
If you couldn't guess by my user name. My name is Robert.
I've been reading a lot of comments on here, and have already added a few myself.
I don't know whether to say I'm a cardist, collector or what. I'll just say I love cards. I grew up in a home were cards were always on the table. I've played about every game imaginable, From Rummy, Rook, Spades, Uno, Poker, etc. I've won some money, and lost some to. My most used app on my phone is solitaire. Was born and raised in VA. Probably die here someday as well. At 43- hope I'm only half way there. Found this site on a KS project. I am currently designing a deck myself. Hopefully you guys will not tear me a new one too bad.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Newbie Here
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:34:59 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Why would we tear you a new one? We're a pretty friendly bunch even if it may not seem that way at first.

Anyways welcome to the forums Robert. What KS project did you find us through, if you dont mind me asking?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Alex,  I might have lied there by mistake. It may have been UC or one of the other card sites. I found KS in March and have backed several projects, some cards, some others. The first deck I saw on there was the Postumo Deck. It had already been funded, but I just loved the whole concept. I ended up going to work late that day, just looking at all the different projects. I had never thought about designing a set of cards before. Didn't really know it was even possible. I knew from day one that I wanted to design a deck, and already knew the theme I was going to use. Every since then I have been doing research. I've gotten pricing from USPCC, and researched the shipping & packaging. I've probably looked at 1000 plus websites about cards, and things that tie in. I hope to have the design done before fall. My issue is that I am not an artist. I've never used Photoshop or Illustrator. Having said that. If it takes me a year or more to do the design. Then that is what it will be. I'm not going to through out there a crappy design. As far as learning AP & AI- Well I rebuilt the front suspension on a Honda watching youtube.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Welcome Rob!  I noticed you didn't mention playing canasta growing up, that was my family's game of choice.  Kudos on your Honda rebuild from youtube.  I could have used that 20 years ago when I rebuilt a 20R engine on my Datsun. :)

First, anyone can create a deck.  It's 52 cards with numbers and symbols.  No problem there.  It's another to 'design' a deck.  I seldom do my own artwork although I have formal art training and am quite skilled at computerized graphics, I prefer giving the elements I want to an artist and seeing their vision and my own develop into something I can be proud to put on playing cards.  Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll find a lot of help and support here!
Alex Willis
Game Designer