You are Here:
Dude, where's my cards? (Or the non-existent Core deck)

Author (Read 2442 times)

Dude, where's my cards? (Or the non-existent Core deck)
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:27 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Alright. I'm sure that some people on this forum backed this project too.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tniou3/core-playing-cards

Awesome cards and awesome design. The creator was in touch the entire time, and kept frequent updates. He even posted a picture of the decks and the shipping crates on February 16th.

And then, silence. He hasn't even logged in to Kickstarter since February. All of his other blogs and his Facebook page have had zero activity too. I've sent him 2 PMs and one Email. He hasn't responded at all, and as far as I know, no one from the project has received their cards, even though he said he was going to ship them out back in February.

It's unsettling that he hasn't posted anything publicly or even come out and said "I got ur monies. K thx bai."
I want to report him for fraud... but how the hell do you report a ghost?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:38:52 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Dude, where's my cards? (Or the non-existent Core deck)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
It's stunts like this that piss me off. When I started my project on KS, (Voyager deck) I reached 50% of a $12,000 goal in the first week, from their they slowed down just as I thought it might. Then like a plague out of no were backers started dropping there pledge, I didn't understand the reason for so many drops. Then a few of the backers made me aware of the Army Men rip off, need I say any more. 
There is 9 days still to go, to raise $3,200 and the only thing that runs in my mind, is it better to cancel my project or to have the project be unsuccessful? I just don't see making the goal.
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

It's unsettling that he hasn't posted anything publicly or even come out and said "I got ur monies. K thx bai."
I want to report him for fraud... but how the hell do you report a ghost?

By contacting your state's Consumer Affairs Department (or whatever is equivalent where you live).  He's not a ghost - Kickstarter has records of his existence as does Amazon, including financial data, enough to easily begin an investigation into fraud.  Fraud can also be reported to state or local police.  In fact, the IRS should also have records of him, since he probably earned enough on this to attract their interest.  It's exceptionally hard to utterly disappear these days unless you have some serious skills.

It's stunts like this that piss me off. When I started my project on KS, (Voyager deck) I reached 50% of a $12,000 goal in the first week, from their they slowed down just as I thought it might. Then like a plague out of no were backers started dropping there pledge, I didn't understand the reason for so many drops. Then a few of the backers made me aware of the Army Men rip off, need I say any more. 
There is 9 days still to go, to raise $3,200 and the only thing that runs in my mind, is it better to cancel my project or to have the project be unsuccessful? I just don't see making the goal.

I have some disappointing news for you - this will begin to poison the Kickstarter well for many, many projects, especially since Kickstarter themselves want practically nothing to do with it when things go sideways and pear-shaped like this.  They'll tell you it's out of their hands, go find the authorities.  I seem to recall that was eBay's attitude many years back - and it resulted in millions in lost sales from people abandoning eBay like the plague because of its reputation as a scam artists' haven.  Now, they have Buyer's Assurance and all sorts of fun things to protect (some would say overprotect) the consumer - things that Kickstarter sorely needs and completely lacks.

Having said that, just ride it out unless there's utterly no chance that your project will succeed.  I've seen many deck projects fail, only to be reintroduced in a retooled format and succeed.  (Not all do, but many have.)  If you have a solid reason other than "I don't want to see it fail", then keep it running.  It says something about a person's character if they abandon their project when things start looking less than hopeful - to me, it would make me question if they have what it takes to follow through on a successful project once it starts getting complicated and difficult.  While a failed project will follow you in that it doesn't simply disappear from the site, so will a canceled project, because they also don't just disappear unless it was Kickstarter that did the canceling and not the creator.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:50:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:25 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Thank you Don this is the type of knowledge I was looking for, I wasn't for sure how it would look in others eyes.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you Don this is the type of knowledge I was looking for, I wasn't for sure how it would look in others eyes.

Bear in mind, whatever I said is my opinion and not ironclad facts.  But it is how I feel about it.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
It's really getting on my nerves!  So many people wan't to go to Kickstarter that should be able to.  I'm already putting things in place that will hopefully help with some awareness on Loop Cuts. 

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
If you have a solid reason other than "I don't want to see it fail", then keep it running.  It says something about a person's character if they abandon their project when things start looking less than hopeful - to me, it would make me question if they have what it takes to follow through on a successful project once it starts getting complicated and difficult...

+1

@MrMollusk, I am sad about your situation (I am not a backer of this project).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am currently helping a guy prepare to re launch his project and I am trying to help him avoid people thinking this will happen.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
By contacting your state's Consumer Affairs Department (or whatever is equivalent where you live).  He's not a ghost - Kickstarter has records of his existence as does Amazon, including financial data, enough to easily begin an investigation into fraud.  Fraud can also be reported to state or local police.  In fact, the IRS should also have records of him, since he probably earned enough on this to attract t

Thanks. I'll try to get in touch with my state's division of consumer protection.

It's a bit odd. Why bail on the project if you've ordered and payed for the cards? It makes me think he got in an accident or something.
Or maybe it's just one big scam. I have no idea at this point.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
the pictures could be fakes.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I doubt the pictures are fakes... He would have to have taken them from someone else's project. Decks are delivered exactly the way he got them.

Shipping is overwhelming. I think the dude is in grad school or something. Simply put, I'd definitely put shipping on hold while in classes if I felt my grades depended on it. He has every right to delay shipping, but he needs to be vocal about it.

Then again, people are going to go crazy either way. I hope folks really start realizing that KS is *not* an online store and that this will happen sometimes.

Anyway, the semesters end by mid-June all around the USA, so if there is no update by then, start worrying!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
New guy here. hello to everyone.
Just wanted to rant a second. WTF! This guy and Adam(Army Men) are going to muff KS up for everyone. Come to find out-looks like Adam had already done this before on the Revision Deck.
 I am currently designing a deck my self. I have spent hours researching my design and cost including shipping. I've contacted USPCC, and have gotten preliminary oks on my design concept. I'm scared to go forward. I am not going to go in under 15-18,000 goal, because I know that is what it is going to cost. The other issue I see is creators with goals under 10,000. Backers do not understand the these low ballers have not done enough research for true cost.  At some point KS is going to have to step up. Unfortunately they will probably muff it up even worse.
Sorry for the negative first post. I have backed over 20 projects on KS, and so far have received everything on schedule.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:41:26 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Yes Rob, I know just how you feel. So all I have to offer is “good luck”. If you make it through the forums with out having your design shredded apart, your half way there. But there will always be that echo of a few low life's who took the money and ran, to make it that much harder for anyone on there first project.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey Other Look,
I'm one of your backers. Hope you get there. If not. Don't give up. I'll back again.
I have read a lot of post on here. I'll just say- I will take my shedding, and try to turn it into a positive. I like everybody else in the world think I have the greatest idea ever. I'm sure I will be told otherwise.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Rob Wright has a good attitude, there.  Any designer worth his or her salt needs to have a thick skin to survive in business.

I think the biggest issue here is Kickstarter itself.

Some of you may remember the early days of eBay.  In its infancy, people were getting into the idea of buying and selling the stuff they'd normally put out for a garage sale, and without the need for a face-to-face encounter with a neighbor you'd rather not know.  The whole world becomes potential buyers.

Then the scammers moved it.  People were sending money to far-flung corners of the world, being promised flat-screen TVs and laptop computers that were either stolen merchandise or just plain didn't exist.  It started to reach the point where you never really knew what you were buying and whether or not it was a scam.  The public faith in the company plummeted and some market analysts were predicting the company's demise as a result of the passive/ineffective role they were taking in trying to police their own sellers.

They got wise and started creating a safer environment.  They bought PayPal, turning it into the number-one method of online payments to retailers and individuals.  They started offering Buyer Assurance, practically guaranteeing that if something went wrong with your purchase, you'd get your money back.  The company made a big turnaround, the customers returned, and the individual sellers started actually turning their eBay accounts into their primary sources of income in some cases.  Some might even argue that the pendulum has swung a little too far in the other direction, allowing buyers to more easily rip off sellers who aren't careful.

Kickstarter, just like eBay in its early years, is a darling of the current dot-com business boom.  They're now beginning to experience their growing pains as "successful" projects are beginning to fail at increasing rates, either due to ill-prepared project creators, poor judgment or outright fraud.  The place is becoming less and less trustworthy as time goes on, and other companies are stepping up to try taking their slice of the pie, such as Indiegogo and JumpStartCity (which opens next week).  EBay isn't the only online auction game in town, but they're the 800-pound gorilla because they went pro-active to protect their investors.  Kickstarter, unless they take action soon and learn from eBay's mistakes rather than relive them, will end up being an also-ran.

Simply put, they need to put protections for investors in place to insure they aren't getting ripped off and they need to vet creators to determine if they actually have the wherewithal to get the job done in a timely manner.

Regarding Timothy Niou, if he has college scheduling issues, he should have either given himself a more generous deadline or launched much later than he did.  And he SHOULD, right now, face his project's apparent collapse and say something to people.

Adam Clarkson made some judgment errors.  He's at least trying to make things right, though he's going about it in an ass-backwards way.  It appears as if he's intentionally making it harder to receive a refund in order to be able to say, "I gave them a chance to make a claim, it's not my fault if they didn't."  To which I say, in this day and age, bro, that's bullshit, plain and simple.  Just issue electronic payments and stop making people who trusted you jump through hoops.

"Altius Management" - he's full of shit from the word "go".  They still claim that USPC printed the decks and they just haven't paid for them yet.  USPC doesn't even begin printing without money up-front, and they sure as hell aren't going to keep your decks lying around in their warehouse collecting dust.

I'm sure there's a handful of others - I've been tracking more projects that now have past-due delivery dates for the New Deck Report.

And here's the crazy part of all of this - Kickstarter's only allowing the offering of rewards because they're awaiting clearance from the Securities and Exchange Commission to offer COMPANY SHARES.  The New York Times reported on this a few months ago.  Gee, wouldn't YOU rather have a few shares of Joe Designer's company after he's failed meeting his deadlines, stopped talking to his backers and hasn't delivered a single item for sale?  You might be better off simply flushing your cash down the toilet, because at least then you'd know where it was going...

Since we're now looking at an expansion of the market, I'm looking into splitting the Kickstarter projects into a separate topic from the NDR again, and adding new sticky topics for Indiegogo and JumpStartCity.  I'm accepting applications for volunteers willing to run those topics for me and keep them regularly up-to-date.  I'd only take successful projects and add them to the upcoming releases.  A good familiarity with BBcode is a big plus.

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
On Kickstarters end:

- Make creators more aware of the dangers and difficulties of fulfillment (they have been doing this a lot more the last several months)
- Partner with a fulfillment company, like Amazon, and provide creators with that avenue for an additional cost
- Make buyers aware that they have 45 days after the project ends to make up their minds about the purchase or request a refund from Amazon Payments.

On Buyer's ends:

- Within 45 days after the project ends you can get a refund, no questions asked. Use it if you feel you are being cheated.
- Back projects with the assumption that you are donating money. The reward is a bonus perk that may or may not happen. Treat it this way and you'll never be disappointed.
- Realize that KS is not an online store. You shouldn't expect eBay's or Amazon's level of customer service. Creators are not payed to have "the customer is always right" attitude, and they probably won't have that attitude unless they need you to back their next project.

90% of the work is on KS's end, though. It's still a fledgling website and has a long way to go. I am eagerly awaiting to see it offer fulfillment services.

By the way guys, make sure you read the brand new risks and challenges section for projects. I think this section very explicitly points out that there is a chance things won't go as planned 100% of the time.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
On Kickstarters end:

- Make creators more aware of the dangers and difficulties of fulfillment (they have been doing this a lot more the last several months)
- Partner with a fulfillment company, like Amazon, and provide creators with that avenue for an additional cost
- Make buyers aware that they have 45 days after the project ends to make up their minds about the purchase or request a refund from Amazon Payments.

On Buyer's ends:

- Within 45 days after the project ends you can get a refund, no questions asked. Use it if you feel you are being cheated.
- Back projects with the assumption that you are donating money. The reward is a bonus perk that may or may not happen. Treat it this way and you'll never be disappointed.
- Realize that KS is not an online store. You shouldn't expect eBay's or Amazon's level of customer service. Creators are not payed to have "the customer is always right" attitude, and they probably won't have that attitude unless they need you to back their next project.

90% of the work is on KS's end, though. It's still a fledgling website and has a long way to go. I am eagerly awaiting to see it offer fulfillment services.

By the way guys, make sure you read the brand new risks and challenges section for projects. I think this section very explicitly points out that there is a chance things won't go as planned 100% of the time.

Whether Kickstarter likes it or not, as long as people are being offered products for "investments", they will view it more like shopping and want similar consumer protections.  Yes, you can compare it to the stock market in that there are risks involved, but even the stock market has a supervising body that's there to prevent fraud  (and to a lesser extent, sheer stupidity).  I don't think there's more than a few people who invest in a project and think of it as a "donation", expecting nothing in return, unless they've invested at the "thank you" level.  It would be different if they were offering stocks, but they aren't - not yet.

I don't think that the 45-day rule really works well.  It can completely undermine a good project, and very few deck projects deliver in under 45 days - most have a lag time of maybe three or four months, since they are subject to the whims of their printer, and we all know how that can go with USPC.  So bad projects won't get found out in time and good projects can be made to suffer - not a good formula for success.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm a Voyager backer as well, and will be there to the end, succeed or not. I don't pull out of any projects, a commitment is exactly that. If a designer puts in his/her time and talent, and I like it, my money is there permanently.

That being said, I really wish that USPCC's costs for decks were lower, so that KS designers could set lower initial goals, and reach them easier. I see a lot of folks pull out of projects in the last few days of a long project, and if that initial goal could be lower, then many projects could potentially get funded much faster. People get excited and may impulse buy. The longer that they think about it, the more that they start to question their judgment, and the more likely that they are to cancel their pledge. Not to mention that things come up and people panic when they realize that their pledge will be charged when funding is met, and that money won't be available to them. I back a ton of KS projects, and almost every deck that becomes available. If I have any doubts about backing, I wait a few days and see how I feel. If I still have doubts, I simply won't pledge. Folks who have KS campaigns are people, and I can't even begin to imagine how nerve-wracking it is to put your dream out there and to hope for acceptance. For that reason, I don't think that it's fair to give a designer hope, and then renege on what is essentially a promise to help fund that dream.

Long campaigns with a necessarily high minimum goal can really derail some campaigns. I see absolutely no reason to abandon designers or even KS. I have a lot of cool decks in my collection that wouldn't be there if not for a successful KS campaign. I'd hate to see that entry point for small designers go away.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I do not have a problem with the cost of USPCC's decks. At around $3 for a branded deck. For short runs of 2500 decks compared to there major runs in 100,000s or more. I would like to see them bring on a lower run tier- say 1000. I would be willing to pay $3.50-$4 a deck. Most projects on KS, by my guess do about 1,000 to 1,500 decks. At a 1,000 deck min. Projects could be funded at $6-8000. I guess the downside of this would be a lot of crappy decks that should not get made-would.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I do not have a problem with the cost of USPCC's decks. At around $3 for a branded deck. For short runs of 2500 decks compared to there major runs in 100,000s or more. I would like to see them bring on a lower run tier- say 1000. I would be willing to pay $3.50-$4 a deck. Most projects on KS, by my guess do about 1,000 to 1,500 decks. At a 1,000 deck min. Projects could be funded at $6-8000. I guess the downside of this would be a lot of crappy decks that should not get made-would.

...and that, exactly, is why the minimum is where it is.  When it was 5,000 decks, it was rare to see deck goals that weren't in the five figures.  They got a bit lower at 2,500 decks despite the higher per-deck cost, but then USPC raised all their prices to follow inflation and the US Postal Service did much the same.  ANYONE coming in with a stupidly low goal these days is either not using USPC, setting themselves up to fail, or has some of their personal equity in the project from the launch.

Any first-timer without his own funds at stake coming out with a 2,500-deck run and a goal under $8,000-$9,000 I have to question carefully about whether they really know what they're getting into.  Even that leaves a slim margin for error if the goal is barely met at closing.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Yes Rob, I know just how you feel. So all I have to offer is “good luck”. If you make it through the forums with out having your design shredded apart, your half way there. But there will always be that echo of a few low life's who took the money and ran, to make it that much harder for anyone on there first project.

Who's shredding someone's design? Not us! We would never do something like that. We are all kind and gentle souls who always show consideration for deck creators feelings... LOL

We all need to use better judgment when backing projects. The way it is now, a six year old can design a deck, slap bicycle on it and it will get funded. Then we complain about how bad some of the Kickstarter projects are or that the projects creator is unreliable. That's what you get if your someone who has to have every deck release. People see the decks that get funded and say, "Hey I can do that!" Then more crap and more unreliable project creators. No one to blame but yourselves.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:11:55 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:14 AM »

thecardcollectors

I'm one of the backers for the Core deck as well. I've sent Timothy a couple of PMs here on the forum, but received no reply either. It's pretty frustrating when you need to keep chasing just to get an update, especially when you've given him so much money. He shouldn't have made all these empty promises that he couldn't fulfill. It's really making me think twice about backing any future KS projects as well.

That being said, I think the only choice I have now is to just sit and wait for him to graduate, and by any stroke of luck, I'll be able to see my decks in June.