You are Here:
New KS deck: Zombie Black Collector's Edition

Author (Read 1626 times)

New KS deck: Zombie Black Collector's Edition
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
New on KS "Zombie Black Collector's Edition - Poker Sized Playing Cards" by Warpunk Games
Described as a Gothic zombie-themed deck of poker sized playing cards.

$9 early bird
$12 regular
$10 international shipping
$14,000 is the funding goal
USPCC
dice
dealer buttons

The main stretch goal is a second color deck ... Zombie White

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/446874651/zombie-black-collectors-edition-poker-sized-playin

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:19:18 PM by GBAllison »

Re: New KS deck: Zombie Black Collector's Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Okay now I'm just tired of all these zombie decks... That's what, the third? Fourth deck that's come out on Kickstarter? Maybe I'm biased cause I don't like the zombie designs.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
No, I like those types of decks, and I'm forced to agree - it's way out of hand now.  It's true: too much of a good thing is bad...  It's the second zombie deck TODAY!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:09:13 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:12:20 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I actually like the border design on the courts and spot card shown above, the whole "indices are part of the border with a little flare on them." Even the back design is somewhat intricate and not too plain. Just the same theme over and over again puts me off. Maybe someone is hoping theirs will stand above the rest?   ::)
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:05 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
While I'm not a fan of the zombie meme, and definitely not a backer of this gang of zombies and vampires that beached on KS this week, I at least can understand how it happens.  I'm sure that none of these artists realized their decks were going to be drowned in a sea of similar-themed KS projects when they started.  Then once their artwork is near ready, and they've jumped through all the KS hoops, and they're Finally Ready for the Big Reveal ... it's gotta be pretty disappointing to find out that a gang of others are out at the same time.  Still, impatience wins and they push the Go Button anyway.

To give 'em credit though, most of these recent dark arts decks show real talent and creativity in their artwork (if not their business timing).  While not up to Federal 52 standards, they're certainly a far cry from the likes of Space Age, Vixa and Party Cards (or whatever that waterproof thing was called).

But back on this deck ... the courts don't show the suit in the indices.  No peeking.  (Sigh.)

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
http://kck.st/14m4DHH

Zombie Black Playing Cards - Back from the dead

$2,000 goal- already funded- now at $2,314
Looks like he is using MakePlayingCards.com
1 for $12, 2 for $22
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:44 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

OOI, does anyone else know much about MPC? I was looking at their site, and their prices aren't bad once you get up to USPCC minimum order, but by that point, you might be better off going with USPCC.
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

OOI, does anyone else know much about MPC? I was looking at their site, and their prices aren't bad once you get up to USPCC minimum order, but by that point, you might be better off going with USPCC.

Their card quality is nice, their tuckboxes on the other hand... not so much.  Pricing wise, if you can sell decks at a premium there is some room for profit, but most people don't want to pay $11 or $12 for a deck.  Again, if he can get his numbers up there, he can improve his margin. 

As for the deck itself, it's not one of my favorite zombie themed decks.  I'm just not a fan of the artwork.  But the guy is persistant so i wish him all the best.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

As for the deck itself, it's not one of my favorite zombie themed decks.  I'm just not a fan of the artwork.  But the guy is persistant so i wish him all the best.
OOI, what is about the art you don't like, or is the zombie theme?

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:03:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

This video is someone testing out a just-opened pack of their cards with a little cardistry and simple sleight of hand.  Seems to be handling just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI27a5YDt70

The biggest problem one would have with using MPC is convincing the rest of the card collecting world that it isn't crap just because it's not from USPC.  The smooth cards they offer are about the same weight as those used in Bicycle/Aviator decks, and their textured cards are even heavier by a small amount, though I'd doubt they're as heavy as Tally Ho or Bee card stock.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Sweet video
I'm going to start practicing some of that. It would freak out my friends at our next game
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:46:38 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'm going to start practicing some of that. It would freak out my friends at our next game

Agreed. Now I have something I can work towards achieving and perfecting.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
Hey guys, just let me know if you have any questions about the project. Yes I am using makeplayingcards.com .I personally prefer using their cards when playing card games. I can shuffle with them better and because they are a little thicker, they seem to be easier to pick up off the table.

With the quantity that I am having printed, they will be printed offset rather than digital which is what you get when it is 100 decks or less.

Don't forget about the card game on the site also. It is a quick push your luck game. You need 12 6 sided dice to play but you can get those anywhere. It is a great game to play between games or out at a bar. Give it a try. You can download the base game http://zombiebitepoker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Grave-Digger-Base-Rules.pdf

Thanks
Brian

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
OOI, what is about the art you don't like, or is the zombie theme?
I am a huge zombie fan, but I just don't like the way the traditional courts on this deck look.  I don't get zombie out of it.  I get aging fresco.  It all comes down to personal taste.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
Yes that is true, it is about personal taste.

Did you try out the game?

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Yes that is true, it is about personal taste.

Did you try out the game?

The game is not bad.  Something that I would play with my younger kids as the rules are easy and it's just a matter of matching dice to cards.  However...it would be cooler with custom dice and a death roll that would force you to lose some of the cards you already collected.  Let's say if you rolled 7 like in craps.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »

WarpunkGames

• Newcomer
Yea it is a very simple game, which is why it is also a good game to play when you are drinking with your buddies. Went out the other night with 7 other guys and we played this at the bar all night, was a blast. Ended up having $1 buy ins. I walked away with more than I came in with ;-)

If I can get to my $7,000 dollar mark, then I will be doing a box set, adding in character cards that lets you effect the game in different ways. For example, blocking cards until it is your turn, buying a reshuffle, things like that. It will add more strategy to the game. It is then more of a push your luck/screw your neighbor game. Hopefully I get there.