You are Here:
Bicycle Peacock Deck by USPC

Author (Read 1380 times)

Bicycle Peacock Deck by USPC
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I was doing a search for Bicycle decks, when I came across these: Lot 2 Bicycle® Peacock Deck Stylish Simple Splendid Playing Cards... Thought it would be refreshing to post a deck that has nothing to do with Kickstarter (even if it appears to be a Merz deck)... Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:21:55 PM by Don Boyer »

Re: Merz Peacock Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
These actually look pretty nice. How much are they going for?
Broke for cards

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Is he still "designing" decks using clip-art borrowed from the interwebs?  Ugh...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:24:03 AM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Wait, isn't he the guy who made those bland decks and tried to sell them on eBay for big bucks? (I forgot the name of the decks, but I remember there were red, blue, and yellow versions).
Broke for cards

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »

flyers3003

• True Member
Do Merz decks typically get shown directly on bicyclecards.com? 

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:36 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Do Merz decks typically get shown directly on bicyclecards.com?

http://blog.bmpokerworld.com/2013/07/3-new-bicycle-playing-card-decks-table.html?m=1

These are not Merz. Merz does sell them on eBay though.

The Bicycle "Table Talk" looks very interesting. This could have made a fun marked deck (king spades, jack clubs, four hearts, etc... written out on the back design).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:43:20 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I was gonna say, these are pretty sexy for Merz decks...

And it turns out they're not his.

I love the color scheme, it's refreshing in a world where stark contrasting colors run rampant.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Bicycle "Table Talk" looks very interesting. This could have made a fun marked deck (king spades, jack clubs, four hearts, etc... written out on the back design).

I think you still can. All you need is a cotton swab or a fine brush and a little nail polish remover to erase a word off the back (a steady hand helps).  Then you can use rub-on stencils (if you can still find them!) or just plain stencils with pens of the right color ink to replace words with whatever words you wanted.  A very light application of clear nail polish to cover that one word would do to protect it.  Masking with a very light tape would help - painter's tape might do, but you'd want to test it first.  If not, you can simply peg the card in place on a board and cover it with something akin to what surgeons use to mask out the area around when they operate.

There'd be some trial and error involved, but it could be done.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:35:03 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I think you still can. All you need is a cotton swab or a fine brush and a little nail polish remover to erase a word off the back (a steady hand helps).  Then you can use rub-on stencils (if you can still find them!) or just plain stencils with pens of the right color ink to replace words with whatever words you wanted.  A very light application of clear nail polish to cover that one word would do to protect it.  Masking with a very light tape would help - painter's tape might do, but you'd want to test it first.  If not, you can simply peg the card in place on a board and cover it with something akin to what surgeons use to mask out the area around when they operate.

There'd be some trial and error involved, but it could be done.

Sounds like too much work for a fun deck of marked cards lol. Had USPCC done this out of the box, I was thinking more for children. Easy to read yet it has a deceptive word camouflage to it. It could be a child's first marked deck. Bring it to school, do some tricks for kids on the bus, etc...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:39:00 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:46:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sounds like too much work for a fun deck of marked cards lol. Had USPCC done this out of the box, I was thinking more for children. Easy to read yet it has a deceptive word camouflage to it. It could be a child's first marked deck. Bring it to school, do some tricks for kids on the bus, etc...

Hmm...  I don't exactly think "children's toy" when I think "marked deck", especially since they're usually somewhat more expensive than a pack of Bikes from the pharmacy...  Not to mention that, kids being kids (with a proclivity to want to succeed at everything competitive), they'll use them more often not for magic but for cheating friends at card games - not exactly something I'd want to instill in my child.

But we should save this for a different topic, one about the Bicycle Table Talk deck...  :))

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Hmm...  I don't exactly think "children's toy" when I think "marked deck", especially since they're usually somewhat more expensive than a pack of Bikes from the pharmacy...  Not to mention that, kids being kids (with a proclivity to want to succeed at everything competitive), they'll use them more often not for magic but for cheating friends at card games - not exactly something I'd want to instill in my child.

But we should save this for a different topic, one about the Bicycle Table Talk deck...  :))

They would not have to be expensive if they were a USPCC standard release. It still costs as much as a bicycle standard through USPCC to make. If promoted as a trick or magic deck it does not have to be a bad thing. Besides, if a smart enough kid could think of bad ways to use a deck like this, then that kid probably doesn't need or want to use a simplistic marking system like this. This is for fun.

yes agreed, lets save it for a "table talk" thread.