Re: White Arrco Deck Review
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Of course I'll be doing a video review! Thats my top priority now  ;)
Then an ellusionist unboxing
Then the infinity deck review
Then my monarch uncut sheet showing
Then a card clip review

Evan, I imagine you know already but your youtube channel seems to be down, it states ''This channel is no longer available because the user has closed their account''

How come you decided to take it down if that's what you did??
I do already know this. It was not me who took it down. I would rather not share what happened. BUT...  I am making another channel! I'll post an update video in a few mins.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicAddictz2

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Did you guys happen to notice that the two double backers AREN'T identical?  One's got the white back on both sides, while one's got a white back on one side and a BLACK back on the other?  Could this be a sign that these guys may revive the old colors as well as bring in this white one?

I just hope they're not doing what Merz67 did with his custom Hoyle decks - colors that look like Willy Wonka ate an Oompa-Loompa and puked up a deck of cards...

What? I have a double backer with the white back on both sides, and a double backer with a white and a BLUE back.

That's my bad - I was looking at it in dim lighting.  It is indeed a blue/white double backer.

They're some pretty sweet cards - but even my girlfriend noticed that they really smell like chemicals out of the box.  I was shuffling them and she caught a whiff as she walked past the table.  What the heck's in that Magic Finish, anyway?
;)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
What the heck's in that Magic Finish, anyway?
;)

Well do you want the recipe with how much of each ingredient so you can make it at home or do you want to just know what is in it? ;)
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey guys.  Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the cards!

In regards to smell, I guess the Magic finish does have a bit of a more distinctive smell than other finishes.  These are very fresh off the press, so it could be a little stronger right now than it will be later.  Of course, everyone has different smell sensitivities.  Personally, I have almost zero ability to smell.  My wife smelled a fresh pack of these though, and said that they smell like a freshly-made deck, not particularly strong or bad.

In any case, the smell of your decks (opened or unopened) will fade with time.  It's just a bit stronger right now because the decks are so fresh off the press!

Maybe someday in the future we can figure out a way to make some scented cards by putting an additive in the finish.  :)

As for the double-backers, I knew I wanted a regular white/white in there.  For the 2nd "bonus" card, I decided that I wanted an extra gaff rather than an ad card, the same as we did in the Lefty Deck a couple years ago.  I mostly use Blue Arrcos when I'm using the older ones, so the choice for the white/blue was mostly so I could mix the white decks with my blue ones.  If we do a 2nd run of whites, maybe we'll change the white/blue to a different gaff.  Suggestions?

Still no official update on whether we will print more whites, or any other colors.  If you want them, the best way to ensure that they get made is to buy the current white ones!  They're still available over at www.arrcocards.com

Congrats to John on winning a Porper Reveal Clip!  Looking forward to seeing your pics!

As mentioned before, the prizes (clips and sheets) were for day 1 orders, so we're currently not offering any chances to win bonus items.  Maybe we'll do something else sometime soon though.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I just received my decks in the mail and started to break one of them in and i must say i really enjoy the "new card" smell they have. They also seem to stay in packets better then other decks using the same finish that might just be my imagination though. the edges aren't completely smooth like some other decks, but a quick rub on your jeans can fix that; that is if you feel it needs fixing at all.

overall i really like the clean look and feel of the deck.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 12:25:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys.  Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the cards!

In regards to smell, I guess the Magic finish does have a bit of a more distinctive smell than other finishes.  These are very fresh off the press, so it could be a little stronger right now than it will be later.  Of course, everyone has different smell sensitivities.  Personally, I have almost zero ability to smell.  My wife smelled a fresh pack of these though, and said that they smell like a freshly-made deck, not particularly strong or bad.

In any case, the smell of your decks (opened or unopened) will fade with time.  It's just a bit stronger right now because the decks are so fresh off the press!

Maybe someday in the future we can figure out a way to make some scented cards by putting an additive in the finish.  :)

As for the double-backers, I knew I wanted a regular white/white in there.  For the 2nd "bonus" card, I decided that I wanted an extra gaff rather than an ad card, the same as we did in the Lefty Deck a couple years ago.  I mostly use Blue Arrcos when I'm using the older ones, so the choice for the white/blue was mostly so I could mix the white decks with my blue ones.  If we do a 2nd run of whites, maybe we'll change the white/blue to a different gaff.  Suggestions?

Still no official update on whether we will print more whites, or any other colors.  If you want them, the best way to ensure that they get made is to buy the current white ones!  They're still available over at www.arrcocards.com

Congrats to John on winning a Porper Reveal Clip!  Looking forward to seeing your pics!

As mentioned before, the prizes (clips and sheets) were for day 1 orders, so we're currently not offering any chances to win bonus items.  Maybe we'll do something else sometime soon though.

The "new deck smell" is common to a lot of decks.  I've received some decks straight off the presses, so to speak, and they didn't smell at all.  Then again, some other decks I've had open for months STILL have the smell.  It's not really totally unpleasant, just noticeable.

I like the idea of keeping the extra double-backer as a blue/white.  Some people freak out when a deck is released in multiple versions, especially if the earlier version had a feature they liked that the newest version doesn't possess.  Perhaps just covering a lot of the possibilities would work, if you plan on releasing OTHER colors (hint, hint!), like a red blue in a blue deck, and a red/green in a red deck, and a green/black in a green deck, and so on...

Your Arrcos are an amazing deck, and the USPC should be making them for themselves this way.  I'm very surprised that the USPC has this state-of-the-art finish that they're putting on many of their second-party orders but I have yet to see them use it on any of their own.  I'm wondering what Tally-Ho or Bee decks would be like with Magic Finish, or maybe even a smooth finished deck like Aviator or Streamline...

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
What decks do have a soft edge. Whenever I break open a deke like one of Ellusionist's, their decks always have rough edges on them, I actually prefer them because it offers more grip when it comes to dribbles.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What decks do have a soft edge. Whenever I break open a deke like one of Ellusionist's, their decks always have rough edges on them, I actually prefer them because it offers more grip when it comes to dribbles.

First, wrong topic for that question.  Make a new one or better yet, look to see if one already exists.  Your answer may already be out there next time.

Second, just rub the deck edges on your denim jeans for a little while.  The edges will smooth out quickly.  D&D mentioned it in one of their videos, or so I'm told.

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
damn, he was just asking a question because i mentioned the edges being a bit rough in an earlier post.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Porper:

I can't find my camera, and the i deleted the pictures i had in hopes of taking better ones. But one side is blank. The other side had a 4 of clubs reveal  with pips as though it is an actual card. And the edge has a two of hearts review written out.

Deck:

I must say these are a lot better then i expected. These handle great even after hours of use. I haven't handled them in a few days because of problems with my hand. But the few days i had them before i had to stop because of my hand these handled great day after day, no how long you used them. I put maybe anywhere from 2-5 hours a day for about a week just as a point of reference.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:47:51 PM by john »
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:50 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Porper:

I can't find my camera, and the i deleted the pictures i had in hopes of taking better ones. But one side is blank. The other side had a 4 of clubs reveal  with pips as though it is an actual card. And the edge has a two of hearts review written out.

Deck:

I must say these are a lot better then i expected. These handle great even after hours of use. I haven't handled them in a few days because of problems with my hand. But the few days i had them before i had to stop because of my hand these handled great day after day, no how long you used them. I put maybe anywhere from 2-5 hours a day for about a week just as a point of reference.
my understanding is bad!!!! picture pls :D

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
damn, he was just asking a question because i mentioned the edges being a bit rough in an earlier post.

i didn't realize this because he didn't quote your message.  Didn't mean that to sound harsh, but the answer to his problem actually is in another topic - I've read it before.

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »

Overflight

• Twitter:
...OK possible newb issue: I used these for a while and they started to warp. So much so that they barely fit inside the box. Am I doing something wrong or did this happen to someone else?

I should add that my hands can get a tad sweaty but I clean them frequently (maybe choosing this hobby was a poor decision...)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:01:40 PM by Overflight »

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
...OK possible newb issue: I used these for a while and they started to warp. So much so that they barely fit inside the box. Am I doing something wrong or did this happen to someone else?

I should add that my hands can get a tad sweaty but I clean them frequently (maybe choosing this hobby was a poor decision...)
That happens to everyone once in a while. I suggest that you buy a porper clip and leave the deck in it for a day.

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hang on... did you get this deck for free, ezstreet1997?
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
he's proabbly a sponsor or he was a tester to try out the deck and rate it - basically like a critic

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Kevin Reylek from NYMP was nice enough to send me a couple of them early  :)

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Reylek?! That sounds familiar - is he a user on these forums?

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Reylek?! That sounds familiar - is he a user on these forums?
Yes he is. You've probably seen him post in threads about The Blue Crown or NYMP

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

most of the deck warp and cant fit in the box ..normally i will hold them so very thigh and squeeze it in the box after that put in a porper clip and after a few hours or day when i take them out to use it back to normal .. if you dun want to spent $30 to get a porper clip maybe you can put the deck under a heavy stack of books

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

If your issue is simply card warping, try any of these, in order from OK to best:
1) a Porper clip - caveat: they're hard on card tuckboxes
2) a stack of heavy books to place on top of the cards OUTSIDE of the box
3) a deck press

If you're also having problems with sweaty hands and the moisture is getting into the card stock, try a little fanning powder along with one of the above flattening solutions.  Also consider trying Aladdin Smooth Finish decks - the stock used for them is moisture-resistant and designed for humid, hot climates.

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

If your issue is simply card warping, try any of these, in order from OK to best:
1) a Porper clip - caveat: they're hard on card tuckboxes
2) a stack of heavy books to place on top of the cards OUTSIDE of the box
3) a deck press

If you're also having problems with sweaty hands and the moisture is getting into the card stock, try a little fanning powder along with one of the above flattening solutions.  Also consider trying Aladdin Smooth Finish decks - the stock used for them is moisture-resistant and designed for humid, hot climates.
ya i agree the aladdin deck is good .. since i live in singapore .. the weather is rain or a sunny day so my palm is often sweaty but my aladdin deck is still good