Author (Read 11253 times)

Guy Hollingworth Deck (D&D)
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Via instagram:

The last photo has the GH deck to the left and a standard Bike deck on the right. It's going to be released in a box set today.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Guy Hollingworth Deck (D&D)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Hmmm... the last photo shows the cards to have a "furry" edges due to horrible cutting. Therefore, definitely a USPCC deck.

It'll be a great collectors set, for the DVDs if nothing. As for the cards, I'll pass on them even when they show up on eBay.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:51:40 PM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:32:04 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Classic Clip: Gatsby Edition

by Joe Porper

This limited edition Classic Clip, plated in gold, was produced to commemorate the release of the Hollingworth Collection. Each clip comes complete with one Hollingworth Deck.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Back looks simple and eloquent.  I see he is going with a single element back with green line as his corner badge.  Would be better if he went to the last green border by the cut boarder with his green line. Right now it's going green and slices into the yellow.  Oh well....

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hmmm... the last photo shows the cards to have a "furry" edges due to horrible cutting. Therefore, definitely a USPCC deck.

It'll be a great collectors set, for the DVDs if nothing. As for the cards, I'll pass on them even when they show up on eBay.

I think the furry-edged was a pack of standard Bikes.  The GH deck, I think, was the taller/thicker stack.

I think the large monogram on the back would have been better served with a solid color, but that's a minor quibble.  I'm guessing that since he's a magician, the faces will be either bog-standard or damn close to it.  (That's not a bad thing!)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
he went to the last green border by the cut boarder with his green line. Right now it's going green and slices into the yellow. 

Brain.. Too tiny...   Could you break this down for me?

It looks like the registration is off with the pattern noticeably uneven. Is this  what you are talking about?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:29:47 AM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Also,  Bog standard? 
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
he went to the last green border by the cut boarder with his green line. Right now it's going green and slices into the yellow. 

Brain.. Too tiny...   Could you break this down for me?

It looks like the registration is off with the pattern noticeably uneven. Is this  what you are talking about?

Now that you mention it, the left border is wider then the right border.

(Russ, that's how you spell "border", mmm'k?  "Boarder" is someone who's living at your place in some form of paid arrangement...)

Also,  Bog standard? 

Most decks aimed at magicians or designed by them are, or close enough to it.  Maybe a recolor.  Maybe some custom faces on the courts (I hope not, I'm getting tired of them).  But yeah, bog standard.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:39:29 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
The thinner deck in the picture is the Hollingworth deck. It's about eight cards thinner in comparison to a regular USPCC deck.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ah, so this is the mysterious deck they had when they were advertising the plank! Anyone remember this image? it was from their December holiday gift guide email.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 07:08:37 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Did anyone else watch the video on the site and notice that the "yellow" parts of the back design are actually a bit shiny - like gold instead of yellow? Not obvious in the pictures, but seems like a cool touch... If I could buy a couple of the decks, I probably would...

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:33 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I personally think its a sweet looking deck. Something considerably clean and classic.

The whole packaging looks great too....but for a card collector...gotta pass. Unless someone wants to sell me just the deck, or buy the DVDs from me.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »

fredv

Hello,

i have seen this deck and read that they wanted to make a thinner deck because Guy Hollingworth liked to play with thin Stud playing cards.

I thought Stud were just Bicycle like cards, but they seem to be quite different.

And that made me wonder how they could get thinner cards nowadays with USPCC ?
I thought all the new cards from USPCC were always using the most expensive finish and card stock. But not always the thinner one ? Is it a choice to have a high quality stock more or less thin ?

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
And they are all gone :( I wanted that clip....  :-[
Form Follows Function

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello,

i have seen this deck and read that they wanted to make a thinner deck because Guy Hollingworth liked to play with thin Stud playing cards.

I thought Stud were just Bicycle like cards, but they seem to be quite different.

And that made me wonder how they could get thinner cards nowadays with USPCC ?
I thought all the new cards from USPCC were always using the most expensive finish and card stock. But not always the thinner one ? Is it a choice to have a high quality stock more or less thin ?

There are thickness variations not just between stocks but in some cases even from deck to deck in the same stock.  Thick or thin, the cost of the stock is the same - a pair of paper rolls glued together can make thick or thin stock, as the manufacturer sees fit.

The finish options available cost the same - included in the cost of making the deck.  The default is Magic Finish for custom decks.

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »

fredv

There are thickness variations not just between stocks but in some cases even from deck to deck in the same stock.  Thick or thin, the cost of the stock is the same - a pair of paper rolls glued together can make thick or thin stock, as the manufacturer sees fit.

The finish options available cost the same - included in the cost of making the deck.  The default is Magic Finish for custom decks.

Thanks for your answer Don

But how can D&D say they have worked with USPCC to make a thin deck ?   is it only commercial sentence or do you think they can really have USPC use a particular stock to have a thin deck ?

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks for your answer Don

But how can D&D say they have worked with USPCC to make a thin deck ?   is it only commercial sentence or do you think they can really have USPC use a particular stock to have a thin deck ?

It's entirely possible that they did indeed get the stock thinner.  It's only a matter of the amount of pressure applied between the rollers when the pasteboard is created.  The actual paper used is the same.  Do a search for videos by the US Playing Card Co. on YouTube and you'll find one that shows how cards are made, start to finish.  The first step is to take two giant rolls of paper and glue them together in layers with a graphite-infused glue to create the pasteboard on which playing cards are printed.  The graphite keeps the cards opaque even in front of a strong light source.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 04:20:53 AM »

fredv

It's entirely possible that they did indeed get the stock thinner.  It's only a matter of the amount of pressure applied between the rollers when the pasteboard is created.  The actual paper used is the same.  Do a search for videos by the US Playing Card Co. on YouTube and you'll find one that shows how cards are made, start to finish.  The first step is to take two giant rolls of paper and glue them together in layers with a graphite-infused glue to create the pasteboard on which playing cards are printed.  The graphite keeps the cards opaque even in front of a strong light source.

Thanks Don, it's really interesting to have those technical details.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Color varient on the horizont. Looks like they are teasing a red version, which I am pretty excited about, I really like D&D's Guy Hollingworths and think red will be a really great color for it.

From their Instagram:
bucktwins: "The beloved Guy Hollingworth #playingcards. Reworked in an all new colorway and featuring the same ultra-thin stock. Coming soon."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:09:34 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Reds went live at 0800PDT, $9.95/deck, discount at 6 and at 12

Shipping with a free Emerald Hollingworth deck when you purchase a brick or more.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:52:16 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »

The London magician

• True Member
I really love this pack of playing cards 👍🏻👍🏽👍🏿

The only thing I would change (if I could) is the border. At the moment there isn't one as you know. I would add a thin white strip, just to make a few more magic tricks possible. However, I completely love the awesome tuck box!

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Just got mine and really love the red, more than I like the green and gold of the original. Even though the courts aren't custom, the metalic inks really make them pop. I hadn't opened my Emerald version because I only have one, but I am really liking this thinner pressed stock, It isn't springing as nicely as I would like, but other than that it handles really nicely, and is so smooth on spreads and fans... I am assuming these are still USPCC? Overall one of my favorite decks so far this year, and I am biased against DD for the most part.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:28:05 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 06:38:01 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I got mine as well. Very nice. They are USPCC.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I really love this pack of playing cards 👍🏻👍🏽👍🏿

The only thing I would change (if I could) is the border. At the moment there isn't one as you know. I would add a thin white strip, just to make a few more magic tricks possible. However, I completely love the awesome tuck box!

USPC has difficulty making thin, white borders.  Their die cutting accuracy is a little too low, so they're more prone to being cut off-center - and with thin borders, even a tiny amount off-center becomes glaringly obvious.  Borderless was the way to go with that design.

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »

fenderdemon

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Raymond Williams

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Does anone know when they were actually produced? I have a feeling, Dan and Dave have been holding onto these decks for a while.

I ended up purchasing 3 bricks of each and although the emerald edition of the Hollingworth Monogram Deck is very nice, the burgundy edition is stunning.

I've always loved those really deep, blood red, 'burgundy', crimson and scarlet colours that are sometimes used. They're far more appealing than the standard red, IMHO, although I do realise they have their place.

A picture I took, recently: -
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:51:15 PM by fenderdemon »