You are Here:
[NEW] Madison Gamblers (Black Rounders & Green Dealers Gaff Deck)

Author (Read 9666 times)

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Madison Gamblers (Leaked) Unofficial

"DM should not be talking about"

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:38:54 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

Re: [NEW] Madison Gamblers (Leaked) Unofficial
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That was fun...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: [NEW] Madison Gamblers (Leaked) Unofficial
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
That was fun...  :))

Was it good for you? It was good for me! I might need a smoke now and I don't smoke. :bosswalk:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:39:29 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

Re: [NEW] Madison Gamblers (Rounders & Dealers Gaff Deck)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
E posted a video on their Facebook page talking about these.  Sounds like a gaff system for the dealers.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I was very intrigued when the name "gamblers" was announced... but now that it's revealed to be a gaff deck, it's an extremely easy pass for me.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Why would you need to make a gaff deck for a deck designed to be for gamblers, and not magicians? The applications aren't as numerous for the former than the latter.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Why would you need to make a gaff deck for a deck designed to be for gamblers, and not magicians? The applications aren't as numerous for the former than the latter.

Theoretically, one could say all playing cards are made for either magicians, gamblers, etc.  Bee Diamond Backs have long been considered a "gambler's deck", but magicians use them just the same, as do cardists, little girls and boys, grandpas and grandmas, etc.

Practically any deck that's made "for gamblers" can be used for magic just as easily.  Additionally, most real gamblers are dyed-in-the-wool traditionalists, meaning they wouldn't use any deck that didn't have the traditional faces on them - and Madison's decks would not fit the bill.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member

Remember that these are put out by Ellusionist, a website for magicians. The whole "gambler" angle is just marketing.

I'm excited for these as I already love my dealers, they are the cards I keep in my pocket at all times.  I use them a lot of tricks and no one notices the markings allowing me to do some nice mind reading tricks.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Remember that these are put out by Ellusionist, a website for magicians. The whole "gambler" angle is just marketing.

I'm excited for these as I already love my dealers, they are the cards I keep in my pocket at all times.  I use them a lot of tricks and no one notices the markings allowing me to do some nice mind reading tricks.

I'm not as big a fan of the marking system - too many patterns to remember when going from deck to deck; his two marked decks don't even use the same pattern, which I thought was unfortunate.  However, I can say this - because those markings are so tiny, a deck like this could pass the riffle test when performed by anyone with less-than-perfect attention to detail.  I tried it and even knowing what to look for and where, it was a challenge.  Without that foreknowledge, I'd daresay it would have been impossible to spot.

Re: [NEW] Madison Gamblers (Black Rounders & Green Dealers Gaff Deck)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Madison Latest Update Video, On The Fly: Daniel Madison in NYC

The Gamblers Deck is Only for Black Rounders and Green Dealers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:45:06 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

and i thought D+M doesnt like gaff cards  ??? wonder how gaffs work with gamble

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Convincing someone you have a full house when you don't, perhaps?

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I don't necessarily like vegetables but I still eat them. DM is a businessman like anyone else in the industry. It's whats good for business.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:22:54 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:21:31 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran

I think there was some question regarding that with the Gaff system for the Artifice decks as well. I can only assume that the gaff cards he would be referring to gaffs that make the spectator suspend their disbelief such as: smudged, shattered, burnt cards, etc. Here's hoping that the gaffs in the gamblers are things that are there to deceive like a 3 of hearts with one corner depicting the ace of spades.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Ellusionist posted this last night, I am assuming it has to do with this.

|| COMING SOON || "If there's a deck that makes a move ten times easier, and it makes me look ten times better, then you're damn right I'm going to use cards like this..." - Daniel Madison.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think there was some question regarding that with the Gaff system for the Artifice decks as well. I can only assume that the gaff cards he would be referring to gaffs that make the spectator suspend their disbelief such as: smudged, shattered, burnt cards, etc. Here's hoping that the gaffs in the gamblers are things that are there to deceive like a 3 of hearts with one corner depicting the ace of spades.

When Madison mentioned being tired and fed up of gaff cards, it was because he was tired of seeing the same old gaffs over and over like broken records being played back to him - such as the 3H-in-one-corner, AS-in-the-other-corner card that's common to a lot of McDonald's Aces or Three Card Monte routines.  The Gaff System cards are a bit more unique than that.  Think of the Angle Z trick - that's not commonly found in gaff decks, but it's in the Gaff System.

What might make for a good gaff in a deck of gambler's gaffs?  How about four Aces that appear perfectly normal, but are the tiniest fraction of an inch LONGER than a standard deck?  You get card control without the use of an actual stripper deck.  You can cut the deck and insure there's always an Ace at the top.  And so on, and so on...

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran

When Madison mentioned being tired and fed up of gaff cards, it was because he was tired of seeing the same old gaffs over and over like broken records being played back to him - such as the 3H-in-one-corner, AS-in-the-other-corner card that's common to a lot of McDonald's Aces or Three Card Monte routines.  The Gaff System cards are a bit more unique than that.  Think of the Angle Z trick - that's not commonly found in gaff decks, but it's in the Gaff System.

What might make for a good gaff in a deck of gambler's gaffs?  How about four Aces that appear perfectly normal, but are the tiniest fraction of an inch LONGER than a standard deck?  You get card control without the use of an actual stripper deck.  You can cut the deck and insure there's always an Ace at the top.  And so on, and so on...

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)And  I could definitely get behind that Ace card control.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
Madison Gamblers / DVD and Gaff Deck

DVD 1: THE EFFECTS. (1 hour 35 min)

Dice Gaff (14:35) - The only gaff in the entire deck that stands out as a ‘gimmicked card’. A standard die transforms into a paper die in the action of being thrown. When unfolded, turns out to be a previously selected card.

2 Card Monty (4:37) - Daniel teaches his handling for both a tabled and in-the-hands version of a two card Monte.

Black Jack (3:79)- A demonstration that combines center dealing two cards from different places in the deck in a single deal where you deal yourself the perfect blackjack hand (almost) every time.

Replacement Ace (5:50) - A game of poker is dealt to the number of hands named by a spectator. While the spectator receives a very strong hand, they are of course beaten by the performer. A fact predetermined by the writing on the Ace of Spades.

Replacement Joker (3:14) - The same basic effect as Replacement Ace, only this time the spectator is accidentally dealt a joker as part of their hand - a card which they obviously discard. The effect is possibly stronger, given the writing was in front of the spectator the entire time.

The Poker Lesson (11:34) - A Sam-the-Bellhop style of effect that makes sense in a gambling demonstration, teaching the ranking of poker hands to a spectator. The method for this effect also opens itself to memory recall presentations, included but not limited to card at any number.

Stolen Card (7:02)- A card is chosen and returned to the deck in a "cards across" fashion. The performer deals a poker hand to the table, and confirms with the spectator that their card is amongst those dealt. In the act of squaring the pack, the chosen card is stolen "invisibly," to be dealt from the pack whenever the performer decides.

Straight Switch (6:30) - The performer attempts to demonstrate crooked dealing, aiming for a straight poker hand, however misses completely. The hand is squared, and invisibly switched for the correct cards - the named straight now in the performers hand.

Royal Switch (9:20) - Similar to the Straight Switch, the performer misses dealing the winning hand. With a switch, he swaps the incorrect cards for the Royal Flush - the incorrect cards being returned invisibly to the top of the pack.

Cut Cards (10:26) 1 - A utility cut card that supposedly makes bottom dealing impossible. As this card is printed on card stock, it is easy to manipulate. Daniel shows how he uses it to Greek Deal the four Aces, and how to apparently prove you have a photographic memory.

Cut Card 2 - Daniel demonstrates a number of ways to use the cut card as a stab card to present a prediction effect, a switch or a center deal with an indicated card.

Cut Card 3 - An idea from Mark Calabrese. The cut card is placed on top of the face up deck. In a move that begs belief, the card below the cut card is topshot from beneath the cut card into the hand.. Daniel also teaches a method that allows you to vanish a single card from under the cut card openly in your hands.

Center Deal (5:02)- Four Aces are placed face up in separate places throughout the face-down deck. The deck is spread both Face Up and Face Down to show the position of the cards. Cleanly and fairly, the four aces are dealt, one at a time, from their respective places in the deck. The deck is spread to show the aces have indeed been dealt cleanly, and that there are no duplicates.

Middle Deal (4:05) - The four aces are dealt from the top of the deck to the table, before being put face down into separate positions throughout the facedown deck. Again, they are dealt fairly to the table - each having come from the middle of the deck. The deck is spread to verify they have truly been dealt.

Review:

As a long time fan of Ellusionist, I naturally have almost all of their gaff decks. I even have a few gaff decks from other sources - so I have seen a lot of gaff cards in my time. So for those of you who've perhaps "seen it all" the big question is - is there anything new here?

Well yes and no.

First off, these are precision made gaffs for use with Black Rounders and the Green Dealers, decks. That said, you're going to get at least 2 sets of each effect for each respective deck (i.e. half your cards will have black Rounders backs and the other half green Dealers backs).

Yes, you will get gaffs you are familiar with, namely double facers and double backers. Anyone familiar with gaffs will know these are universal and will apply to hundreds of effects you already know. Is this a good thing? Yes! because Madison's court cards are unique to his own line of cards - so technically all of the DFers can be used with all 7 of Madison's signature decks.

Plus, most decks today come with a single double backer, so it's nice to have a few extras.

Second, many times you'll get a DVD/deck combo and the artist will explain a handful of tricks leaving you with a stack of gaffs that seem purposeless - not here. Daniel Madison explains each and every card in your set - YES - he even has effects for your DBers and DFers.

Those of you familiar with gaff cards will Recognize Daniel's 2 Card Monte gaffs - those truly on the "inside" will understand that with the addition of a third "regular card" you could use these cards for another "Ultimate" effect.

The Replacement Ace and the Replacement Jokers are "card reveals" similar to Jay Sankey's "Fine Print" effect - however, Madison has re-engineered them past a simple reveal into another genre all together.

All of the Gamblers Gaffs have been created for routines of seriously advanced sleight of hand used in Gambling and Poker demonstrations. No, they won't create a brilliant presentation for you, but, slipped in occasionally to a demonstration you might already know, and they will "blow a few minds" especially if there a few kindred card sharks in the crowd.

Is this a good deal? Absolutely! You are getting at least 12 effects and the gaff cards to go with them for $80. Not to mention the possibility of hundreds more effects from the familiar gaffs that are included. Any other magic house would charge you between $30 and $40 for a single trick that includes a DVD plus cards.

NOT TO MENTION - there are at LEAST 3 effects on this DVD that are worth the TOTAL cost all by themselves! Stolen Card, Cut Cards and Royal Switch are hands down complete stunners!

But wait, there's more!

DVD 2 // Daniel Madison sits down for an hour long discussion with several magic professionals (Brad Christian, Peter McKinnon, Adam Wilber, Tony Chang, Mark Calabrese, Alex Pandrea and Tobias Dostal) - to discuss the psychology of gaffed card use, and how unseen gaffs can (and should) be used to enhance demonstrations of "cheating at the card table."

All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone who's interest is peaked. No, these effects are not "self-working," you will still need to know a few trick deals, a few false shuffles and of course the good 'ol DL. None of which Daniel teaches (if you want his help with Mechanics then you need to look elsewhere)

Purchase: http://www.ellusionist.com/madison-gamblers.html

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:17:01 AM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
On the Dealers Ace, the term on the card says "Full House, Queens & Nines". The correct term as many who gamble know is "Queens over Nines". Maybe he wants people to use the reveal either way (Queens over Nines OR Nines over Queens). Therefore Nines over Queens could work, but I doubt that. No one is going to read it any other way.

I've watched Daniels videos talking with others about gaff playing cards. Do they agree, Don't they agree, Who the hell knows? All I see lately is contradiction from one thing to next. Do as I say, don't do as I do. I don't like gaff cards, I will use gaff cards. There is nothing special about this. There is nothing that sets this apart from any other gaff deck.

Its projects like these that remind me Daniel Madison is a magician posing as a gambler. Getting caught cheating does not make you a gambler, It makes you a bad cheater.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:31:59 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 04:09:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
On the Dealers Ace, the term on the card says "Full House, Queens & Nines". The correct term as many who gamble know is "Queens over Nines". Maybe he wants people to use the reveal either way (Queens over Nines OR Nines over Queens). Therefore Nines over Queens could work, but I doubt that. No one is going to read it any other way.

I've watched Daniels videos talking with others about gaff playing cards. Do they agree, Don't they agree, Who the hell knows? All I see lately is contradiction from one thing to next. Do as I say, don't do as I do. I don't like gaff cards, I will use gaff cards. There is nothing special about this. There is nothing that sets this apart from any other gaff deck.

Its projects like these that remind me Daniel Madison is a magician posing as a gambler. Getting caught cheating does not make you a gambler, It makes you a bad cheater.

I'm in agreement on you with the "full house" thing, but to play devil's advocate for a moment, I have heard people refer to such as hand as "full house, Queens and Nines", in which case the Queens, being named first, would be the three-of-a-kind value and the Nines would be the pair.  I don't care for that kind of labeling, because it's what's used for indicating two pair - if you simply called "Queens and Nines", I'd expect to see two pair, Queens and Nines, with a stranger card in the hand.  But if you called "Queens over Nines" or "Nines over Queens", I would expect to see a full house with the "over" value as a three of a kind and the "under" value as the pair.

I do feel that the best gaff tricks are those that don't actually show themselves off - 14 of Diamonds or 3-1/2 of Clubs are just too bizarre except perhaps for a younger audience.  It's obvious that cards got switched somewhere.  Even the trick Ace that reveals the full house is too obvious.  But a gaff card that is never revealed as such to the spectators and allows you to do something otherwise impossible or extremely difficult - THAT'S a great gaff card.  It sounds like this deck has more of that type of gaff than the "obvious" type.  Some cut card tricks are great for that sort of thing.

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I'm in agreement on you with the "full house" thing, but to play devil's advocate for a moment, I have heard people refer to such as hand as "full house, Queens and Nines", in which case the Queens, being named first, would be the three-of-a-kind value and the Nines would be the pair.  I don't care for that kind of labeling, because it's what's used for indicating two pair - if you simply called "Queens and Nines", I'd expect to see two pair, Queens and Nines, with a stranger card in the hand.  But if you called "Queens over Nines" or "Nines over Queens", I would expect to see a full house with the "over" value as a three of a kind and the "under" value as the pair.

I do feel that the best gaff tricks are those that don't actually show themselves off - 14 of Diamonds or 3-1/2 of Clubs are just too bizarre except perhaps for a younger audience.  It's obvious that cards got switched somewhere.  Even the trick Ace that reveals the full house is too obvious.  But a gaff card that is never revealed as such to the spectators and allows you to do something otherwise impossible or extremely difficult - THAT'S a great gaff card.  It sounds like this deck has more of that type of gaff than the "obvious" type.  Some cut card tricks are great for that sort of thing.

WWRTD

What Would Richard Turner Do?

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

WWRTD

A lot of wicked-cool tricks virtually impossible even for a sighted man, without any gaff cards?  :))  Does he even use gaff cards?  Would we even know?  Would HE even know?  (lol)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:12:36 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

WWRTD

A lot of wicked-cool tricks virtually impossible even for a sighted man, without any gaff cards?  :))  Does he even use gaff cards?  Would we even know?  Would HE even know?  (lol)

Everything I've seen of him on video, I'm almost sure he would NOT use gaff cards.

- Twice the level deemed legally blind in the State of California.

- Received his Master ranking Sixth Degree Black Belt in 2009.

- Dai Vernon described Turner as the most skillful card technician in the world, proclaiming, "Having seen countless numbers of card experts execute for over eighty years, I consider Richard Turner to be by far the most skillful. He performs the most difficult moves with the greatest ease. I doubt if anyone can equal him. He does things with cards that no one in the world can do – no one. I don't care if you go to China, France or Germany, he does things that no one else can do, and he performs them beautifully."

- The United States Playing Card Company employ his services as a "touch analyst" to evaluate the texture, flexibility and cut of dozens of decks of cards each year.

- For seven years, two days a week at Marie Callender's Restaurant and five days a week aboard the Reuben E. Lee Riverboat-themed restaurant in San Diego, California, once logging 2,190 consecutive days worked.

No one really talks about Richard much or reference/credit him in the industry these days. He's had his moments of fame for sure. How can anyone compare to him? He's becoming less known to YOUNG card enthusiasts. While guys like Madison and Jason England are glorified through social media and company branding. Both are entitled to their own recognition/accolades. Its just hard knowing someone as good as Turner is still out there doing what they've been doing for years, while we drool over the better branded individuals in Turners profession. Selling hundreds of thousands of dollars MORE of their products including things like gaff decks that PURE card cheats would never use.  Do as I say, Don't do as I do. I don't blame Madison, I blame Life and the need to survive financially.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:46:48 AM by Card Player »