Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker

Author (Read 125822 times)

Re: Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2019, 04:25:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you, Don! I have the USPC domino bridge deck, I just could not find it at the time of my post  :-\

Very interested in the mahjong/cards mix you mentioned. By chance do you have a link or picture?

Best,

I don't, but a quick search at Amazon for "mahjong playing cards" will turn up several hits, all within the range considered affordable by most.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »

flexdeck_mike

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Thanks so much Don. These are the ones I picked up in the past but I'll be on the lookout for others: https://www.ymimports.com/products/ym-aa003-a?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPrIRoTOamaFgXJC6Ar6fdH7LqpEJgpaVUvs4CSzpGKDe4rfY-LkXncaAqMOEALw_wcB

Best,
Mike Dummeyer
Purveyor of Flex Deck Playing Cards

« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2019, 02:41:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks so much Don. These are the ones I picked up in the past but I'll be on the lookout for others: https://www.ymimports.com/products/ym-aa003-a?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPrIRoTOamaFgXJC6Ar6fdH7LqpEJgpaVUvs4CSzpGKDe4rfY-LkXncaAqMOEALw_wcB

Best,

That looks like a better set than my own - mine are made on paper/pasteboard, while yours are plastic.

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »

TroutLake

• Newcomer
Hi Guys,
I'm new here, glad I found you.
Attached are two pics of a deck I found recently.
General Mills Country Corn Bran 1969
I am not finding any information online or in worthpoint for this deck.
I'd like to know if it's rare or any other info about it.

Also, are there any books/ebooks that cover collecting playing cards?
Thanks!

« Reply #279 on: December 28, 2019, 02:30:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Guys,
I'm new here, glad I found you.
Attached are two pics of a deck I found recently.
General Mills Country Corn Bran 1969
I am not finding any information online or in worthpoint for this deck.
I'd like to know if it's rare or any other info about it.

Also, are there any books/ebooks that cover collecting playing cards?
Thanks!

It's likely rare, in that it was a limited release, a promotional deck for a product that no longer exists and was released fifty years ago.  I don't know if that's enough to make it very valuable or not, though - most such decks were not terribly high quality and weren't highly sought after, then or now.  However, you do have the good fortune that it's a cross-collectible item - of interest to people with more than one collecting hobby.  There are people who collect advertising decks like this, there are people who collect cereal promotional items/box inserts/giveaways, etc.  So it might generate a little more interest if you put it on eBay than if it was just another still-sealed deck of cards from 1969.

I really couldn't put a value on it.  The most accurate rule of thumb I tend to use would be to look at completed sales on eBay to see what they were selling for, but I can't imagine that eBay's had many sales of this deck in recent history.

There is an authoritative book on playing card collecting by Tom and Judy Dawson called the Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards.  The second edition is an ebook available from the Conjuring Arts Research Center.  However, the book has almost no entries younger than 1950.  There was a massive explosion of playing cards that took place in the economic boom of the postwar years - the field just got too large to track with any degree of accuracy.

« Reply #280 on: December 28, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »

RFS1972

• Newcomer
  • Collecting Kem and 100% plastic/Acetate
I'm trying to get the names of a couple of Kem sets that I just cannot seem to track down.

In the attached image are the pics of the ones I am trying to track down.  The first one has a date code of 251. The second set has a date code of 1195 and looks a lot like the Crown and Anchor Society logo (Royal Caribbean).  Any help would be appreciated!

« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2019, 11:01:35 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
Wish I could identify the first one, but it is also in my list of unknowns. The other deck is a Royal Caribbean deck.  I imagine made for a Royal Caribbean for cruise ships.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2019, 11:05:33 PM »

RFS1972

• Newcomer
OK thanks man.  I went ahead and ordered it so maybe if we are all lucky there will be an order card included with the name on it.  Small chance, but here's to hoping!

« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »

stim

• Newcomer
Greetings
Good to find you!
I found the card posted in a 2nd hand shop where I dig for books and there it was providing a bookmark.
Thinking to have it printed on a shirt!
Do tell if you have seen it before!
Thanks and a fine 2020 2 yew

« Reply #284 on: January 03, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Greetings
Good to find you!
I found the card posted in a 2nd hand shop where I dig for books and there it was providing a bookmark.
Thinking to have it printed on a shirt!
Do tell if you have seen it before!
Thanks and a fine 2020 2 yew

It's a lovely card, but don't rush to get it made into a t-shirt just yet.  If the card's young enough, someone may still hold the copyright to the artwork.  I wish I knew more about it, but I don't.  Just the one card?  What does the face look like?  Sometimes faces can be a way of identifying a printer because many of them use distinct designs.

Re: Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker - Bicycle Backs
« Reply #285 on: January 05, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »

Dufus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Collector of U.S. playing cards 1930s or earlier.
Hello out there!
It seems that I am getting a lot of confusion about Bicycle 808 backs.   I have many 808 decks that I am trying to more accurately describe the backs, but I'm getting different information.  Does anyone have a trust worthy link to bicycle back types?   I need to classify the card backs with reliable info.  The only one I am confident about is the rider back. 

« Reply #286 on: January 05, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »

RFS1972

• Newcomer
You can go to https://www.portfolio52.com and search for Bicycle.  They capture scans of the front and back of the tuck boxes and most Bicycle tucks show the card back on the back of the tuck.

« Reply #287 on: January 05, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
Hello out there!
It seems that I am getting a lot of confusion about Bicycle 808 backs.   I have many 808 decks that I am trying to more accurately describe the backs, but I'm getting different information.  Does anyone have a trust worthy link to bicycle back types?   I need to classify the card backs with reliable info.  The only one I am confident about is the rider back.

You definitely want http://bicyclecards.org/.

« Reply #288 on: January 05, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »

Dufus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
bicyclecards.org

This was extremely useful.  Thank you.  The expert and old fan backs are similar and that's where some of the confusion was.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:08:09 PM by Dufus »

« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
The Standard Playing Card Company
I'm doing research for an article and it includes needing to know who organized The Standard Playing Card Company of Chicago. This would be  between when they started (ca 1890) and until they were taken over by USPC (1893/94). The Hochman, and other main references, make no mention of who the organizers were. They do not appear in the Chicago City Directory during that time or in the main trade magazine "The American Stationer". Seems strange that this company that was producing cards is so hard to find.
I'm also looking for a gentleman, apparently well known to the trade at that time, named Charles M Stevens that may be connected.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »

Dufus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I'm doing research for an article and it includes needing to know who organized The Standard Playing Card Company of Chicago. This would be  between when they started (ca 1890) and until they were taken over by USPC (1893/94). The Hochman, and other main references, make no mention of who the organizers were. They do not appear in the Chicago City Directory during that time or in the main trade magazine "The American Stationer". Seems strange that this company that was producing cards is so hard to find.
I'm also looking for a gentleman, apparently well known to the trade at that time, named Charles M Stevens that may be connected.

Good question there.  This is just speculation, but in my opinion it was probably another Longley company.  The Bay State Playing Card Company was identified to be the same company the Buckeye Playing Card Company.  And it is also noted that the Bay State Card Co. was connected with Card Fabrique, Globe, North American, and many others.  They used the same spade aces and courts.  We can be sure that Bay State merged with Standard Playing Card Co. of Chicago the very same year SPCC started in 1890.

Longleys were masters of tax evasion if you ask me. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:48:33 PM by Dufus »

« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2020, 05:25:49 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I was suspect of the Longleys being involved since they incorporated American Playing Card while in Chicago. I am working on an angle that they were tied into the National Card Company. I have proof they had an American Card factory in Indianapolis a block from National in 1891 until 1893 when they expanded their Kalamazoo factory. This factory never appears in their history.
I think American's Brownie No. 35's Joker was a jab at USPC.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:28:32 PM by NCC1888 »

« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »

Dufus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Not many other names that pop up in Chicago at that time.  I'd like to hear more about it if you ever find something more or share the article when it's completed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 07:27:05 PM by Dufus »

« Reply #293 on: January 06, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Looking for help again. Spotted this National Card today while reading back issues of Card Culture. It is the USPC 1894 Calendar for February. It appears to have been an actual National Card. Trying to find out what deck so I can add it to my Want List. I am guessing possibly from Apollo or Rambler. Has anyone ever seen the factory (after the takeover) appear on a National Deck?

« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2020, 01:34:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

According to this page, National goes back to 1886, originally based its operations out of both NYC and Indianapolis.
https://sites.google.com/site/cardconjurer/article/dating/manufacturers#NC

That Brownie joker makes jabs at a few companies - I see references to Andrew Dougherty and others in there as well.

Consider it possible that the card in the 1894 calendar might not actually exist.  It has occasionally happened where they used artwork for cards that never made it into print.  It might also simply be something the art department put together rather than basing it off of an actual card in print.  Not saying it DOESN'T exist - just that it's possible it doesn't.

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
It is probably a fabricated picture as you say. I am always on the lookout for anything National. Have you visited my site at https://thenationalcardco.weebly.com/ ? Always looking for comments and suggestions.
The National Card date is off by 2 years on the list. My research shows the company registered the name on October 9, 1888 and incorporated the next day in New Jersey. No cards were put on the market until February 1890. (Newspaper article at that time in the Indianapolis News) USPC did buy them in 1893 (It became USPC's Factory #5 then). In February 1904 USPC registered the National Card Company name under their copyright.
American Card started in Kalamazoo in 1890 according to their company history and Ira Ransom's obituary (Company Manager). Also these 2 articles have evidence of their beginning.......
The American stationer., v. 29 (1891) January 1st
Wm. H. and S. H. Longley, of this city, have organized a stock company to be called the "American Playing Card Company," having a factory at Kalamazoo, Mich. The building is 57x120 and four stories, all of which will be used in the various processes of turning out the "squeezers."
January 15th
The American Playing Card Company, Kalamazoo, Mich., is now manufacturing its new lines of playing cards and invites the favors of the trade.
A 1892 photo of their factory, in the museum in Kalamazoo, states the company was incorporated October 10, 1890. Still looking for this incorporation proof.
I am presently working on a story about an unknown American Playing Card factory that was in Indianapolis just 1 block from the National Card factory. This was in 1889. It disappears by 1892 which is the same time the factory expands in Kalamazoo.

« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
Great website you put together.  Very nice.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thank you, I appreciate that. I have many, many hours of research into National. I believe any new information that is put out in our hobby helps the next collector.

« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I just found the calendar from the year before (1893). Same card, 2 of Hearts, different face. I am convinced the 1894 one with Factory #5 was created for the calendar now.

« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just found the calendar from the year before (1893). Same card, 2 of Hearts, different face. I am convinced the 1894 one with Factory #5 was created for the calendar now.

That 1893 calendar REALLY looks like the 2H was "ginned up" just for the calendar image rather than being taken from an actual deck.  It's got a USPC ad printed right on it.  I'm in agreement that the '94 calendar was probably the same thing.