Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I got my deck of Templar Knights today. Here's some thoughts and a few pics you might not have seen before.

Box:

Normal tuck case with nice illustrations on front and back. Cool detail in the illustrations, and gold colored seal. One top tab has a club and the other has a 6/9 on it. The tab does say "Congratulations on purchasing this limited edition deck."

Cards:

Nice and rich blacks on both front and back and considerably more color than you typically see in a black deck. The standout feature would be the gold pip design for all suites. They are not real metallic ink, but are designed to look like shiny metal and I think it comes off pretty well. The Ace of spades uses a different font for the 'A' while the rest use standard Bicycle, though again the pips are custom throughout. I like black cards in general and these add some different touches. The court cards are nicely colored and bright, which is also a change from most black decks that have very somber white/gray only.

Came with 4 extra cards: 2 jokers, both different, a '12' of diamonds and an interesting split 4/6 of hearts. Could be some fun for a magician.

Stock and feel:

The stock feels, looks and smells like most decks, nothing real dramatic in that regard. From a brief few minutes they seem comparable in handling to most any deck you'd pick up from USPCC

Conclusion:

I like the deck on the whole. I'd give it a 4, as it has some nice design elements, but the custom pips feel just slightly out of place with the more traditional numbering. Going full custom would have brought this up to a 5 for me.

Pictures:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:52:27 AM by CBJ »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Deck Review - Bicycle Templar Knights
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Nice! But I'm not regretting not getting this deck...

Re: { Deck Review } -- Bicycle Templar Knights
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I thought I was gonna pass on this deck.
But your picture is very tempting....

how is the handling of the deck?
And how much it cost?

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm relatively new to cardistry, so don't have an expert touch in terms of handling, but to me they feel very similar to things like the Black Ghost. I'd say that if the all black decks I have, the Tally Ho Vipers are the best handling, and the Templar stock is a little softer and in the Florida humidity they get bent out of shape a little easier.

I got them from eBay for $10, so certainly not the cheapest out there, but cool to look at.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
These actually look very nice, I love the black faces too!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Noticed something last night will playing with them and fanning. Seems that for some reason the 3 of clubs is missing one of it's numbers. It's not a gaff, because there is no normal one in the deck. I assume it was done on purpose as that would be a pretty major thing to not notice, but I'm not sure what the meaning of it would be.

Paul Carpenter

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That is funny!
I would like to know why too.