Favorite Magic trick to perform?

Author (Read 3958 times)

Favorite Magic trick to perform?
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
What is you guys favorite trick (could be cards,coins,stage,kids whatever) To perform for people.

My favorite trick to perform is Either Dresscode or Vanishing Bandanna.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Re: Favorite Magic trick to perform?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:13:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My go-to trick is one from the Michael Ammar video "Easy to Master Card Miracles #1".  Any ordinary deck, even a borrowed deck, will do, though a deck with the same edge colors on the face and back of each card is better, and a stripper deck or a subtle one-way back design insures you can't screw it up and the spectator can't mess you up by intentionally claiming the wrong card as their own.  I forgot the name, but I perform it like this.

I spread the deck and have the spectator choose a card.  They remember it and I replace it into the deck, shuffling it away using three methods: first Hindu, then overhand, then riffle.  I then split the deck in half, and place each half up to my ear in turn, putting on my face an expression of intent listening.  I then declare that the card is in one of the two halves, and I hand the other face down for the spectator to hold firmly in their palm.

I riffle through my half a bit, listening for the card, and start rearranging the deck into packets between the fingers of one hand.  Eventually I slide five cards one at a time off the deck from one hand to the next.

I tell the spectator that I can hear that their card is one of the five cards I'm holding in one hand, while the rest of the packet is held in the other.  But I also say that sometimes the cards do try to trick me, so I ask for their help.  I tell them that I'm going to turn the cards over and show them one at a time, and that after they've seen all five, to tell me if their card is one of them or not without revealing which.  I flip over the five cards face up on top of the face-down packet and slide cards from one hand to the other while counting them off.  (If done correctly, the answer is usually yes!)

At this point I hand over the remainder of the deck, only holding the five cards.  I recount them, insuring that there are still five cards there.  Then, depending on how I'm equipped at a given moment, I'll either use a Pure Smoke puff on the cards or I'll hold them to the spectator's ear, asking them to listen and see if they can hear the cards, at which point I bend them slightly and pop them back, making a small, audible click.

Now I count out the five cards again, face down, only to discover that I'm only holding four.  I turn the cards over in a fan and ask if their card is among them - the answer (again, if done correctly!) is no.  At that point, I tell them to put the packet down on a table and spread them across - or if no table is available, I ask them to spread them face down one at a time.  Whichever method they use, they eventually discover one face-up card mixed in with the face-down pack - and it's their card.

I've gotten very good at the trick, though I can see places where there's room for improvement.  Of course, there's some controlling used in the shuffles so I know where the card is, and the second and third five-card counts are Biddle counts.  This was the trick I did for David Blaine's assistant, with him and Asi Wind watching me; Asi said he does the same trick (with different patter, I'm sure) but that I did it pretty well.  Asi is a popular Israeli magician based in New York, and he performs often as part of a live show series called Monday Night Magic.  They do dinner shows on Sunday night and theater shows on Monday nights, with a different roster of magicians each time.  I haven't had the privilege of checking them out yet, though - the tickets aren't cheap and I do work those nights.

So, as I'm fond of saying in the hospital, "Next victim - er, I mean 'patient'..."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
My go-to trick is one from the Michael Ammar video "Easy to Master Card Miracles #1".  Any ordinary deck, even a borrowed deck, will do, though a deck with the same edge colors on the face and back of each card is better, and a stripper deck or a subtle one-way back design insures you can't screw it up and the spectator can't mess you up by intentionally claiming the wrong card as their own.  I forgot the name, but I perform it like this.

I spread the deck and have the spectator choose a card.  They remember it and I replace it into the deck, shuffling it away using three methods: first Hindu, then overhand, then riffle.  I then split the deck in half, and place each half up to my ear in turn, putting on my face an expression of intent listening.  I then declare that the card is in one of the two halves, and I hand the other face down for the spectator to hold firmly in their palm.

I riffle through my half a bit, listening for the card, and start rearranging the deck into packets between the fingers of one hand.  Eventually I slide five cards one at a time off the deck from one hand to the next.

I tell the spectator that I can hear that their card is one of the five cards I'm holding in one hand, while the rest of the packet is held in the other.  But I also say that sometimes the cards do try to trick me, so I ask for their help.  I tell them that I'm going to turn the cards over and show them one at a time, and that after they've seen all five, to tell me if their card is one of them or not without revealing which.  I flip over the five cards face up on top of the face-down packet and slide cards from one hand to the other while counting them off.  (If done correctly, the answer is usually yes!)

At this point I hand over the remainder of the deck, only holding the five cards.  I recount them, insuring that there are still five cards there.  Then, depending on how I'm equipped at a given moment, I'll either use a Pure Smoke puff on the cards or I'll hold them to the spectator's ear, asking them to listen and see if they can hear the cards, at which point I bend them slightly and pop them back, making a small, audible click.

Now I count out the five cards again, face down, only to discover that I'm only holding four.  I turn the cards over in a fan and ask if their card is among them - the answer (again, if done correctly!) is no.  At that point, I tell them to put the packet down on a table and spread them across - or if no table is available, I ask them to spread them face down one at a time.  Whichever method they use, they eventually discover one face-up card mixed in with the face-down pack - and it's their card.

I've gotten very good at the trick, though I can see places where there's room for improvement.  Of course, there's some controlling used in the shuffles so I know where the card is, and the second and third five-card counts are Biddle counts.  This was the trick I did for David Blaine's assistant, with him and Asi Wind watching me; Asi said he does the same trick (with different patter, I'm sure) but that I did it pretty well.  Asi is a popular Israeli magician based in New York, and he performs often as part of a live show series called Monday Night Magic.  They do dinner shows on Sunday night and theater shows on Monday nights, with a different roster of magicians each time.  I haven't had the privilege of checking them out yet, though - the tickets aren't cheap and I do work those nights.

So, as I'm fond of saying in the hospital, "Next victim - er, I mean 'patient'..."
Sounds like the Biddle Trick Don.  Or thats the name I have always associated with it.  Love that effect.  Totally impromptu and you can use anybody's cards.  I perform this all the time.

My favorite trick would be either French Kiss by Wayne Houchin or 5 Speed by Chris Kenner.  I have never had a girl cry before after performing a trick.  French Kiss accomplished that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:01:08 PM by Curt »
- Adam

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sounds like the Biddle Trick Don.  Or thats the name I have always associated with it.  Love that effect.  Totally impromptu and you can use anybody's cards.  I perform this all the time.

My favorite trick would be either French Kiss by Wayne Houchin or 5 Speed by Chris Kenner.  I have never had a girl cry before after performing a trick.  French Kiss accomplished that.

Now that's a story that needs to be told!  We're waiting...  (Psst - hey, somebody get the popcorn; this is gonna be a good one!)

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
3-card monte.  Even when people know how it works, I can still fool 'em every now and then.  Probably the only trick I do well.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like to do impromptu tricks with cards.
Visitors, collectors, out of the world, and really much more I couldn't list it.
My favorite tricks change form time to time.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like to do impromptu tricks with cards.
Visitors, collectors, out of the world, and really much more I couldn't list it.
My favorite tricks change form time to time.

OK, then - what's today's favorite trick?

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:51 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

My favorite is Sloth in Red mirror DVD.
It's the mixing of card changes and triamp.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

My favorite is Sloth in Red mirror DVD.
It's the mixing of card changes and triamp.

Isn't today's favorite trick "retaking the first-place crown on Top Posters list in one night"? :o :o

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Isn't today's favorite trick "retaking the first-place crown on Top Posters list in one night"? :o :o

LoL
It's a long time that I haven't read much things on this board.
I'm always in the playing cards section only.
Just that today I have time to read things.
So, I decided to catch up with other boards too.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

Now that's a story that needs to be told!  We're waiting...  (Psst - hey, somebody get the popcorn; this is gonna be a good one!)
Well, I dont wanna disapoint anyone.  Its just a simple story.  But about 4 years ago I was with my girlfriend at the time and we were at her parents house for a cookout.  My girlfriiend has an identical twin sister who lives in a different part of the state but came down for the cookout and to visit with her family.  My girlfriends twin sister had heard many stories about me doing magic for the family but had never witnessed any of it herself. So she was excited to see what this magic was all about when she came to visit.  Well, we had just finished eating outside and my girlfriends mom brought up my magic and wanted me to show the other twin daughter some of it.  So of course I was excited to start performing for everyone.  So this is where I thought i would start out with French Kiss by Wayne Houchin.  So I take a deck of cards out of my pocket and turn them face up spreading through them as I ask her if she has a favorite playing card by chance.  Its funny I still remember her card from 4 years ago.  She ended up choosing the queen of hearts which ironically like 70% or more of girls always chose this card when I perform this effect.  So I take the queen of hearts out and hand it to her while pulling out a sharpie marker.  I hand the sharpie to her and ask her to sign her name nice and big on the face of the card.  She does and I take the card and blow on it to make sure the ink is dry and it wont come off.  I then start folding the card in half and then in to quarters as I tell her im gonna ask her to do something kinda weird with the playing card.  I hand the folded up playing card to her and ask her to place it in her mouth and bite down on it.  So that half the card is in her mouth and the other half is sticking out so we all can see.  I then pick a card myself and sign my name on it nice and big, fold the card up in to quarters and place it in my mouth.  I then ask her if she is ready.  She says she is.  So I grab both of her hands and move in close while staring in to her eyes.  I then wrap my mouth around my entire playing card acting as if I am chewing on it or doing something weird with it in my mouth.  After a few seconds I then use my tongue and push the folded up playing card out of my mouth.  I then grab it with my fingers and say, "Its done."  I starting unfolding my playing card only to show that its not my playing card anymore.  Its actually the queen of hearts with her signature written on it.  I look up at her and her eyes are big and she has this look of confusion on her face.  So she reaches up and grabs the card out of her mouth and opens it up.  It is in fact my card with my signature written on it.  This is the good part of the story.  As soon as she realizes what just happened and that the cards mysteriously changed places in each of our mouths, she brings her hand up to her mouth and i can see her hand starting to shake.  Then her eyes start to fill up.  She has this look on her face like she just got some very bad news or something.  I can remember putting my hand on her shoulder and telling her its ok, its gonna be alright.  Then the tears start flowing down her face and she ends up walking off.  I think she walked off because she was embarrassed that her emotions came out in front of everybody.  But I can tell you one thing.  I have been performing magic since I was 8 years old.  I have had people scream, yell, freak out, curse, laugh, you name it.  Never........ever.......have I had someone start having tears run down there face.  I honestly wasnt prepared for that situation.  I dont know if she has ever witnessed magic like that before up close or if she just knows about magic from on tv.  But I can tell you one thing.  This girl was emotionally and physically touched by what just took placed.  It impacted her in very special way.  This just goes to show you how our magic can effect people out in the real world.  Some may sream, some may laugh, and some may cry.  I think its amazing how something so simple, yet so powerful like French Kiss could have that kind of impact on people.  And this exactly why I do what I do.  To somehow impact peoples lives in a special way.  Thanks again guys for letting me share this story with you.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:30:29 AM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Wow that's a great story Knobz1, I'll have to check that trick out ( French kiss ). A couple of effects I'm currently performing are Witness by Lee Asher and Panic by Aaron Fisher.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Awesome tricks (and stories) everyone 8)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Knobz1 - that was an awesome story.  Just from hearing the trick description, I have some idea as to how it was done, but still - I can see how that would be such a powerful trick.  In her mind, she was holding that card, her card, in her mouth the entire time, and somehow you "invaded her personal space" and swapped it without her even knowing it, while she held the card in her mouth the entire time.  I can see how that might emotionally move a young woman - it's the rough equivalent of stealing a kiss from them!

I may have to add that one to my repertoire!  It's a good thing I keep a lot of Bikes around for just such occasions, when a few cards need to be destroyed.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:25 AM »

AlessandroPangia

That's a tough question! I will go with "Triumph" done with the original tecnique of Dai Vernon. If presented right, it's just so magical. By the way, the original tecnique will fry magicians too!  And for fooling magicians that would be and effect I came up with that has no name, it's basically cutting the aces from a shuffled deck, yes it's impromptu.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
I absolutely love French Kiss, it's one of my all-time favorite effects.  I don't perform it very often though.  Probably my two favorite effects that I perform are Stigmata and 2-Card Monte.

I enjoy stigmata because it's one of the hardest hitting effects, and no matter how much the spectator want's to believe the tricks you do with playing cards are sleight of hand, they cannot explain stigmata.

2-Card monte I like for a significantly more selfish reason.  It's one of the harder effects for me to pull off, technically, so whenever I hit it just right, it makes me happy.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
@ Billywiz and Aaron:  Thanks guys.

@ Don:  Thanks for having me share the story.  You should check out french kiss.  Simple yet powerful.  You wont be disappointed.
- Adam

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@ Billywiz and Aaron:  Thanks guys.

@ Don:  Thanks for having me share the story.  You should check out french kiss.  Simple yet powerful.  You wont be disappointed.

Judging from how you told it, I think I've worked out the method - or at least a method that works.  I'd need to practice it a bit, but it's so cool-sounding!  Thanks for sharing the trick and the story - it was better than you made it sound before you actually told it!

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57:15 AM »

saurabh

• True Member
  • I love heavy metal music.

• Twitter:
Funny, no mentalism here...

My favorite trick is called Test Conditions.
The spectator thinks of any card, I turn around, he/she finds the thought of card from the pack and shows it around. The deck is put back into the box. And then I dramatically read their mind and tell them what card they 'thought of'.

2nd favorite would be a Blackjack/Poker demo that I assimilated (not created, just picking up stuff here and there). First the blackjack deal where I call every move correctly. Then the deck is shuffled and the spectator deals a poker hand. I win obviously, but I can have anyone win depending on the situation.
Mentalist, Sleight of Hand Artist, Amateur Flourisher.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Funny, no mentalism here...

My favorite trick is called Test Conditions.
The spectator thinks of any card, I turn around, he/she finds the thought of card from the pack and shows it around. The deck is put back into the box. And then I dramatically read their mind and tell them what card they 'thought of'.

2nd favorite would be a Blackjack/Poker demo that I assimilated (not created, just picking up stuff here and there). First the blackjack deal where I call every move correctly. Then the deck is shuffled and the spectator deals a poker hand. I win obviously, but I can have anyone win depending on the situation.

Here's a couple I use along the same lines.

One is a two-deck trick that could almost pass for mentalism - and if tweaked, could definitely be made into mentalism.  I flash the spectator the faces of a deck of red Bikes, showing that it's pretty mixed up.  I cut the deck several times, the have them cut once more, anywhere they want.  I show them the bottom card - not only can I not see it, but I can't even see the back of the card.  I then "haunt" their deck - I put it on the table and wave a Bicycle Black Tiger deck still in the box over the red deck, then swiftly lift the pack off, slowly open it, fan through the cards and show there's only one face down card in the whole pack.  I turn the red deck over, restating that it was their randomly chosen card that I could not have had any pre-knowledge of, then pull out the face down card, stating it was from a box that was closed for the whole trick.  Of course, they match.

The Rider deck is a Gambler's Deck (among other features, it has a mark on each card that, when found at the top of a properly-stacked deck, reveals what the bottom card is) while the BT deck is an Invisible deck!

The other is a gambling trick.  I ask a guy if he knows how to play poker.  If he says yes, I ask if he'd like to learn how to cheat.  (If he says no to either question, it's time for a new trick!  But I have yet to find a single poker player who didn't want to learn to cheat - I'll get "no" on the first question if at all.)  I fan out the deck face up; it's totally shuffled and mixed.  I start a spiel about how we're at a local poker game with friends, he gets an ace now and then (as I pull aces) and he conceals them instead of turning them in, so by night's end he's holding all four aces.  Leaving them aside, I shuffle up the deck, saying that the last hand of the night is coming and it's his deal.  I pick up the aces and place them under the deck, as if he "sneaked" them there, and tell him to deal two hands of Five-Card Draw - but mine come off the top of the deck, while his come off the bottom so he can get his four aces.  He deals, I go into a story about how he bets big, I raise, he raises, etc. until we're both all in and I called him.  He shows his hand - four aces.  I tell him that's a great hand, but that he needs to remember I'm the one who taught him how to cheat and that there are hands that beat four aces - while I'm turning over, one card at a time, a straight flush!

If you're extremely skilled, you can control all the necessary cards to run this trick like clockwork.  If you're anything less than that, you use a stripper deck and reverse a straight flush before doing the trick, controlling it to the top when you shuffle the deck before the final hand.  My preference is five through nine of any suit but diamonds - all fifteen of those cards have one-way faces so it's easy to know if they're correctly aligned or if you're about to screw up the trick!  When the deck isn't correctly rigged, I've actually gone and with a bold face just reversed them in front of the spectator before performing the trick - I use the pretext that since I use the deck so much, I have to count and make sure there are fifty-two cards and that I didn't lose any, and they pay no mind to me flipping a card around now and then..