You are Here:
Wonso (Elements)

Author (Read 6887 times)

Wonso (Elements)
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

ivanrogov

• Newcomer
Wonso (Korean for "elements) is a non-traditional design I've been tinkering with for a bit. This is the Poker deck version, as I've also developed the start of an octagonal card deck as well. Colors and elements are pulled from Korean themes like the flag and the trigrams (bars on the flag) and associated Bagua themes from Taoism.

Re: Wonso (Elements)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Wonso (Korean for "elements) is a non-traditional design I've been tinkering with for a bit. This is the Poker deck version, as I've also developed the start of an octagonal card deck as well. Colors and elements are pulled from Korean themes like the flag and the trigrams (bars on the flag) and associated Bagua themes from Taoism.

If you're planning to use trigrams for the suits instead of the traditional French suits, you're going to run into a two-fold problem.  First is that most collectors do prefer the traditional suits.  Second is that the trigrams are so similar to each other, players using your deck would have a tough time distinguishing them during play.  Your only real workaround for that would be to make the trigrams in completely different colors, but that brings you to a different problem - by expanding to a four-color suit scheme instead of the traditional two-color suit scheme, you now make some game, especially many solitaire games, very difficult to play using your deck.

I'm curious to see where you go with this.  The idea at its core is a good one, but as I've pointed out, you have issues that need to be addressed.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/