You are Here:
Playing Cards & the Military

Author (Read 540 times)

Playing Cards & the Military
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

spindles

It seems to be rather well known that armed forces have used playing cards to help soldiers learn to identify naval and aircraft. (I hope to collect more myself.)

In more recent years, playing cards have been used for another special purpose: Historic preservation.

I was lucky to find one such former government-issue deck. This one is specific to Afghanistan and I know Iraq ones exist as well. Cards inform soldiers to avoid buying antiquities, prevent the destruction of archaeologically significant sites, protect museums, leave important items in situ for later study, etc.

I will attach a few photos here. I apologize for their poor quality. (They were done a while ago and quickly.) I can re-snap. Just let me know.

Re: Playing Cards & the Military
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

spindles

Here are a few more photos. I'm sorry they are appearing sideways. They are fine when you click and enlarge.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:39:38 PM by spindles »

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here are a few more photos. I'm sorry they are appearing sideways. They are fine when you click and enlarge.

It probably has to do with the huge size of your image files.  They take a long time to load.  I've noticed that with large images, the "thumbnail" image is sometimes re-oriented to landscape orientation even if the photo was a portrait orientation.

If you can click on an image to blow it up, then click again to zoom into it for greater detail, your files are really, REALLY big!  It's not always a bad thing, really - but several in a row will slow down browsing to a crawl.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:30:51 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »

spindles

Gotcha, thanks! I realize that I've used edited photos in the past on here and that probably explains why they didn't give me the same problem.