Legends V2.0 - Metallic Black (CARC)

Author (Read 9866 times)

Legends V2.0 - Metallic Black (CARC)
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Looks like there's a second deck that CARC is releasing this week: Legends V 2.0 - Metallic Black. Besides just the colour change, there's a deck, a cut out window where the diamond shape design is on the back of the card as well as some additional type on the box ("Superior Quality" on the front of the tuck as well as "Diamond Cut" and "Poker Size" on top of the tuck). It's hard to say with just the photo, but it looks like the tuckbox isn't laminated like the original Legends deck. Limited run of 1000 with CARC selling only 800 decks.

It's set to be released on Black Friday, which is fitting for a black coloured deck. I wonder who else is releasing a black coloured deck on Black Friday this year 'cause we've got two already.

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/Legends-V-2-0-c145.htm
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:11:06 PM by bhong »

Re: Legends V2.0 - Metallic Black (CARC)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It says Black Friday, I thought CARC was releasing there stuff on Thursday?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:07:45 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I wonder if they're staggering their releases so you've got to buy both days since they've got two decks that are very limited with only 800 decks being sold though they're selling the Legends v 2.0 in a gross that could go pretty fast if someone has a lot of cash on their hand.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I wonder if they're staggering their releases so you've got to buy both days since they've got two decks that are very limited with only 800 decks being sold though they're selling the Legends v 2.0 in a gross that could go pretty fast if someone has a lot of cash on their hand.

Shipping people... Thursday and Friday? Lets get it together CARC.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:26:56 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

CARC's shipping prices tend to be constant in that it's not like you save on shipping when you buy more decks so whether you get things in one package or two, there's not that big of a  savings. CARC's two new decks include shipping already in it.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

CARC's shipping prices tend to be constant in that it's not like you save on shipping when you buy more decks so whether you get things in one package or two, there's not that big of a  savings. CARC's two new decks include shipping already in it.

Its not a huge savings but its still a savings for combined shipping.

How can CARC allow someone to buy a gross if they are only selling 800? I would put a 2 brick limit for Black Friday? CARC wants lots of happy customers, not just a few dozen? Correct?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:29:33 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Its not a huge savings but its still a savings for combined shipping.

How can CARC allow someone to buy a gross if they are only selling 800? I would put a 2 brick limit for Black Friday? CARC wants lots of happy customers, not just a few dozen? Correct?

I'm guessing CARC will only have one or two gross for sale. I'm sure they've got some way to divide up that 800 so it sells in the best way possible. 700$ for 144, who cheap, is still a lot of money to spend on a single deck whether it's to sit on for future value or resell.

I haven't noticed there's a huge savings for shipping for shopping at CARC. I'm in Canada and unless I buy in bricks, CARC's shipping tends to go "price of deck" + "shipping per item". So it could look like this:

3 Decks (7$/ deck) - 21$
Cost of shipping (9$/deck) x 3 - 27$
Total: 48$

Where as everyone else tends to go by small incremental increases with every deck you add so that the initial cost of 1 deck is expensive, but with every deck you add the overall average is cheaper. If it's 9$ to ship one deck, CARC just multiples that for every single deck.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:36:16 PM by bhong »

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I saw a prototype of that box a while back but it wasn't black. I have to say that that particular deck looks great in black, actually a lot more sophisticated than the original colors. I've been playing with the Legends a lot lately and they are great handling cards, I like what CARC is putting together.

I think this is also the first instance of a custom die cut box since Aurum was released. :D
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's hard to say with just the photo, but it looks like the tuckbox isn't laminated like the original Legends deck.

I'm about 90% sure that it is laminated.  Don't ask how I know.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
No word on the manufacture? The tuck box looks like the Taiwan manufacture. BUT you never know (Shanghai).

I don't understand why CARC needs to have "supreme quality" on the front of the box. Who are they selling? Either you bought Legends before or you've heard about them from someone that owns them. Kind of ruins the tuck design.

I'm undecided.

It's hard to say with just the photo, but it looks like the tuckbox isn't laminated like the original Legends deck.

How do you know? lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:09:35 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just picked up the 3 originals in a trade and was wondering the same thing about the "Supreme Quality" tag, lol.
 That being said, the black is very appealing with this deck design and the tuck is fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:40:49 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Seems like it's free US shipping on both decks so the two day trickle release only effects international buyers.

EDIT: I LOVE the originals so these are getting me very excited. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:21:28 PM by kdklown »

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

I wasn't planning on buying much if anything on black friday. This has 100% changed my mind!
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
In this case, to be honest i don't think the cut out benefits the aesthetics of the deck very much. Personally i would have preferred a standard tuck. There is not enough colour/pattern distinction between the black tuck and the black card back. With Paul's Aurum decks, the cut out was stunning and worked beautifully as there was a very clear contrast of colours. I just don't think the idea translated well in this case.

With that being said, the feel of the Legends is one of my favourite. I'm definitely interested in getting these. Would any American be kind enough to purchase an extra 1-2 as i'd rather not get raped by high International shipping fees =(

Too many good releases.. not enough moolah..
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
In this case, to be honest i don't think the cut out benefits the aesthetics of the deck very much. Personally i would have preferred a standard tuck. There is not enough colour/pattern distinction between the black tuck and the black card back. With Paul's Aurum decks, the cut out was stunning and worked beautifully as there was a very clear contrast of colours. I just don't think the idea translated well in this case.

I agree. This doesn't have the same effect as what Paul did with his deck. I don't think it looks bad, but it just seems a bit unnecessary.

Nice to see another Legends deck though, they are awesome cards.

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
No word on the manufacture? The tuck box looks like the Taiwan manufacture. BUT you never know (Shanghai).

I don't understand why CARC needs to have "supreme quality" on the front of the box. Who are they selling? Either you bought Legends before or you've heard about them from someone that owns them. Kind of ruins the tuck design.

I'm undecided.

How do you know? lol

The same way I know they're from the same factory as the originals.  Shh.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I'm undecided.

How do you know? lol

The same way I know they're from the same factory as the originals.  Shh.

Good answer! Lol

In the Bat-cave again? Did you bring home some new toys for the utility belt? Lol

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

In the Bat-cave again? Did you bring home some new toys for the utility belt? Lol

I've said too much!

[smokebomb type=ninja]
[capewhoosh][/capewhoosh]
[vanish][/vanish]
[/smokebomb]

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I love the style and tweaks to the second edition black. Nice to see a seal added to, i'm on the fence about the cut out until I see it for myself really.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I love the style and tweaks to the second edition black. Nice to see a seal added to, i'm on the fence about the cut out until I see it for myself really.

I'm ok with the cut out. It actually has a function in this design of the tuck. They went with a black and silver tuck back and the cut out shows the actual true color of the cards, not Black and Silver.

The seal is nice, I like the added asian type on it. It's a little more exotic.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:05:58 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm ok with the cut out. It actually has a function in this design of the tuck. They went with a black and silver tuck back and the cut out shows the actual true color of the cards, not Black and Silver.

The cutout reveals Lawrence Sullivan's "logo" on the back - and this time around, it's not mirrored!

The seal really resembles a classic tax stamp, though with three Chinese ideograms.  The images below would most closely resemble the sticker used on this deck.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

The cutout reveals Lawrence Sullivan's "logo" on the back - and this time around, it's not mirrored!

The seal really resembles a classic tax stamp, though with three Chinese ideograms.  The images below would most closely resemble the sticker used on this deck.

Not Mirrored as in a one way back?

Is that Chinese? You can see why I would be curious about the Shanghai swap. LS is a magician in Hong Kong so it makes sense it would be Chinese and NOT because of the manufacture used.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Not Mirrored as in a one way back?

Is that Chinese? You can see why I would be curious about the Shanghai swap. LS is a magician in Hong Kong so it makes sense it would be Chinese and NOT because of the manufacture used.

The original Legends was that subtle one way back design with the crescent shape mark (near the dragon wings) missing from one side of the deck.

It's Chinese on the seal, but I can't remember. I know enough to know it is, but not enough to read it. The seal does look really cool. I like all the extra Chinese characters on it to signify where the deck was made.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Who wants to bet the ideograms mean Hong Kong?

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Who wants to bet the ideograms mean Hong Kong?

Hong Kong looks different in Chinese (it's two characters). I got a friend that can read Chinese to confirm it says "Poker" in Chinese characters.