Legal Tender - By Jackson Robinson
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
via Kings Wild Project's Facebook page:

"Legal Tender. Designed by Jackson Robinson and printing by The United States Playing Card Company."

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Legal Tender - By Jackson Robinson
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:00:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I thought he did this already...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:32 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Wonder if he will switch any focus to foreign currency?

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 07:05:49 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
People have been asking for a follow-up to the Fed 52 ever since it was completed, this might be it. Looking forward to it. ;D
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

Perhaps a different one for each suit?  That could be fun and mix of styles. 

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Perhaps a different one for each suit?  That could be fun and mix of styles.

I hope it will be one of the many beautiful currencies from around the world. Probably not though haha. Doesn't suit the theme of his products to do that, we'll have to wait and see.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Jackson is pretty patriotic, and seems to stick, both artistically and conceptually to americana. I suspect this will be a spiritual sucessor to his Federal series if it isn't a direct 3rd. I love seeing Jackson back to his card design roots, he really shines with the intaglio style currency designs.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
There's nothing to stop him from doing both a new US set and an International one, although maybe not all at one time!
I'm a big fan of European currency, mostly U.K notes but also the old French francs and others, so that could be very, very cool.

I'm glad he spent the last year exploring other themes, but also glad he's getting back to that which put him on the map.

/bama

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A thought comes to mind...

When I was a kid, I had a collection of various foreign currencies, some in languages I couldn't even understand.  In general, they tended to be more colorful and interesting - the US wasn't using watermarks yet, never mind the colored fibers, holographic ink, plastic stripe, etc.

One thing I did notice was that on some of the more colorful currencies, there was a notation indicating that they were printed by an American company!  I have no recall of what that company was, but many of us know about the American Banknote Company, and their most-famous entry into the world of playing cards, Aristocrat.  The were sold to Russell PCC, which was in turn bought by USPC.

Seeing THAT kind of intaglio-style work would be pretty impressive.  I think it's regrettable that such wonderful card designs such as that and Blue Ribbon are no longer in print, not to mention the terrific stock used.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:32 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
A thought comes to mind...

When I was a kid, I had a collection of various foreign currencies, some in languages I couldn't even understand.  In general, they tended to be more colorful and interesting - the US wasn't using watermarks yet, never mind the colored fibers, holographic ink, plastic stripe, etc.

One thing I did notice was that on some of the more colorful currencies, there was a notation indicating that they were printed by an American company!  I have no recall of what that company was, but many of us know about the American Banknote Company, and their most-famous entry into the world of playing cards, Aristocrat.  The were sold to Russell PCC, which was in turn bought by USPC.

Seeing THAT kind of intaglio-style work would be pretty impressive.  I think it's regrettable that such wonderful card designs such as that and Blue Ribbon are no longer in print, not to mention the terrific stock used.

I believe American Bank Note Company is the same company your referencing for the international currency. There are many examples on eBay of the international money they printed.

Jackson's currency work has been a wonderful movement to have seen develop here before our eyes. I'm sure this will be no different. I am however, more fond of Jackson's prints then his cards.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:00:26 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Legal Tender...

Round cards printed like coins. Copper, silver, and gold foil.

No collector coin, just a collector change purse/fanny pack.

My talents amaze even me! ;-)

Seriously though, the cool thing about Jackson is that not only does he have the talent to transition art from his head to paper, he always seems to come up with ideas that have broad appeal. That's a deadly (for my bank account) combination! I am eagerly awaiting details on this project!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
At risk of sounding negative, I would like to see him move away from various depictions of the bald eagle

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
At risk of sounding negative, I would like to see him move away from various depictions of the bald eagle

Never feel as if you have no right to speak your mind!  Sometimes I'm negative about a particular design, but usually because it's poorly designed.  When possible, I try to offer constructive criticisms.  A designer who's not simply a designer in name rather than deed will take the negative just as well as the positive, because it might show them a better direction to take their work in.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:36:03 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
With the different Sherlock decks, the KW Tallies, the Scarlett Tallies, the Silver Arrows (although they're on the backburner right now), the National Pastime decks we've seen hints of, and other stuff coming up I'd say he's covering more ground than just the bald eagle though.  ;)
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
UPDATE (most likely anyhow, can only assume this is what was meant by the early tease) - Some exciting news! Unlike the United States, not all countries currency and the art depicted on them is public domain. I am happy to announce that after months of back and forth I have finally gotten permission by the Bank of Canada to reproduce a series of playing cards inspired by the beautiful art found on Canadian Bank Notes both past and modern. Thank you to everybody for your continued support and encouragement.

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Gosh, a 25 cent note? Signed by the Deputy Minister of Finance?

Canada is so weird... ;D

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 01:00:21 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Jackson corrected me. This update has nothing to do with legal tender. So two new efforts?   Does that man never sleep?

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/the-art-of-currency-unique-notes-from-around-the-world--psd-11311

Cool little article about art on various forms of currency.  If someone did decide to do a deck on foreign currency, it probably would be best not to mix them together because they're all so unique.  "Legal Tender Series" ???

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Jackson corrected me. This update has nothing to do with legal tender. So two new efforts?   Does that man never sleep?
Having spied on him for the last few weeks in a very creepy manner, I can confirm that he does not sleep. He tends to "rest" by simply drawing slower for a few hours and then he speeds up again.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Just posted on Facebook about 1 hour ago - I didn't see that coming, landscape money turned into portrait orientated cards.  Weird, but very interested to see more.

Legal Tender. Coming in April.

EDIT - They just posted another one below, but instead of Legal Tender called it Federal 52 2nd Edition and has slight differences.  Seeing this one I can start to envision the rest and am getting pretty excited for this one.  Will be a multi deck purchase for sure, probably another friggen uncut in my future too.   :shock:

The big question is how many decks is this all at once?  Perhaps 2 decks in same Kickstarter like the others?  Assume these are 2 different decks and Legal Tender isn't just the name of the ONLY upcoming Federal 52 2nd Edition.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Layout seems a little off and it doesn't feel balanced.. I feel like maybe the King is too big and the rest of the elemts feel crammed in. As usually the quality of the illustration is spot on.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
 He's stated that this is going to be his massive project of 2015...I'd be lying if I said I was extremely excited for this...kind of hoped that he would leave well enough alone as far as his work on United States currency.

I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't going to still buy the cards regardless ;)

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
FYI - Jackson confirmed the first image is from the Legal Tender deck which will be a sister deck to the 2nd image of the Federal 52 Rev 2 deck (like Silver/Gold Certificate were to the other Fed 52 Kickstarter projects).

Yeah, super looking forward to this one.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I actually prefer the 1st design to the 2nd one... It's true that the King is perhaps disproportionately large, but I like the fact that the design overall is  less "busy" than the second design. There's still a lot of complexity and detail going on, but not overwhelmingly so as it is in the second design, IMO. I find that the background details in the 2nd design detract too much from the central/'main image...

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:25 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I always imagined if Jackson announced another Fed52 project I'd be super hyped. But for some reason my reaction was just 'oh cool' and that was about it. I'll grab a few - obviously - and stick them on the shelf with the others.

More interested to see whats coming later from the King's Wild artist series
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski