You are Here:
Breaking Bad Playing Cards by Albino Dragon

Author (Read 4358 times)

Breaking Bad Playing Cards by Albino Dragon
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Here's a little teaser Albino Dragon posted on their fb page.
The signs point to a breaking bad themed deck, however no name has been confirmed.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:47:59 AM by Don Boyer »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: TEASER!! Breaking Bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Yeah, I know a company already has the licensing rights for Breaking Bad so I'm sure we'll see one early next year.
Exciting! Please don't be as bad and the previous 7 "Breaking Bad" decks...

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
While I don't care for the whole Breaking Bad show thing, whatsit. I don't like drugs and all that nonsense at all. Still, I gotta say the card back I see here isn't bad at all. It's much more intriguing than the show ever was for me. Makes me curious to see how they go about design for this, if it is breaking bad which it probably is.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
While I don't care for the whole Breaking Bad show thing, whatsit. I don't like drugs and all that nonsense at all. Still, I gotta say the card back I see here isn't bad at all. It's much more intriguing than the show ever was for me. Makes me curious to see how they go about design for this, if it is breaking bad which it probably is.
It might just be a "Meth Deck"... That name has a nice ring to it oddly enough, but knowing AD's previous decks I would say 99% chance its Breaking Bad.  :karrit:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
This quote is from Albino Dragon, on this forum, in regards to the last lackluster Breaking Bad deck attempt...

"Yeah, I know a company already has the licensing rights for Breaking Bad so I'm sure we'll see one early next year.

I would agree with Don that creating your own IPs is definitely a much safer route to avoid litigation. "

I think it's safe to say that this is a Breaking Bad deck.   I would say it's 100% Will.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The signs point to a breaking bad themed deck, however no name has been confirmed.

Is a name really necessary?  It looks like the show's opening sequence!

I think it's safe to say that this is a Breaking Bad deck.   I would say it's 100% Will.

100% Will?  I would have thought paper, personally...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Is a name really necessary?  It looks like the show's opening sequence!

100% Will?  I would have thought paper, personally...  :))

Dammit Don, well done.  I make a concerted effort to use proper English and appropriate punctuation to avoid your corrections.  Burned again!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Dammit Don, well done.  I make a concerted effort to use proper English and appropriate punctuation to avoid your corrections.  Burned again!

Oh, relax.  You know I was just pulling your leg!  :))  Y'know, joke, humor...

Just remember that there are plenty of decaf brands that taste just as good as the real thing!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:09:57 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Just remember that there are plenty of decaf brands that taste just as good as the real thing!

I'm pretty sure all meth is decaf Don.

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:09 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

I'm pretty sure all meth is decaf Don.
But Meth coffee is not...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:26:58 AM by Rose »

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, OK, we've had our fun but let's get back on topic, shall we?  :))

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
OK, OK, we've had our fun but let's get back on topic, shall we?  :))
Sorry, I get distracted easily, too much meth coffee! :)
Yes, the bad of the cards looks great, I can hear the intro theme song in my head just from looking at it. Now I must wonder what the rest of the deck looks like...

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Alright, I've been given the greenlight to reveal my part in the Breaking Bad Decks!

I did everything except for the Character Drawings. The Artist Albino Dragon hired did an excellent job with the Character Drawings, but they needed someone to take it from there and create a Deck(s) Design that fit the mood and brand look of the show. I'm a big fan of Breaking Bad and had a blast doing it!

The Kickstarter page is not yet ready, but the Decks are available via Pre-Order as part of Albino Dragon's Black Friday Sale (http://albinodragon.com/).

Thanks, Randy

ADMIN EDIT: made the link live and fixed the misspelling!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:42:24 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Sorry for the double post (too many images). Here's the Blue Ice Deck!

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am not a fan of breaking bad, but I love the colors and the backs.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I liked the green back, the blue back I love. That's a very sharp looking back. The pips on both are really very nice, but the win on those for me, are on the green deck. Needless to say, I'm sold. I'll definitely be picking some of these up haha.

I am not a fan of breaking bad, but I love the colors and the backs.

Me either, having never seen it. If the show warrants decks like these though.... I'll be looking into it too haha.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:58:36 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Erik granted Randy permission to give me a sneak peek before this teaser - I think these cards are freakin' awesome, sure to be a hot item when they're released.  The artist did do a banging job capturing the likenesses and Randy's design work complements it perfectly.  I coached Randy a wee bit on the back design for the green deck but his execution was perfect, just like it was ripped from the show's opening credits - you can almost see the smoke wafting and the Periodic Table element tiles floating by!

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Pre ordered a couple of each, just in case the KS doesn't happen haha. I'm getting mine. ;D

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yeah, hopefully nobody is waiting for a Kickstarter before picking these up. This close to the end of the year, we're only planning on doing the pre-order so not picking them up now means full price later.

We're really happy with the way these came out and we think anyone that is a Breaking Bad fan will agree that we nailed all of the characters.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So buy now, or buy now if you want these. lol
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The kickstarter for this up now.

Re: Breaking Bad Playing Cards by Albino Dragon
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Shipping 8 decks to US - $23. Reminds me of eBay listings with items marked very low but with insane shipping. Wow.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:46:18 PM by runIt »

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Yeah, hopefully nobody is waiting for a Kickstarter before picking these up. This close to the end of the year, we're only planning on doing the pre-order so not picking them up now means full price later.

We're really happy with the way these came out and we think anyone that is a Breaking Bad fan will agree that we nailed all of the characters.

Feels like getting smacked right in the face.

Just 10 days later, a KS is launched with lower pricing per deck. 8 Decks with $23 shipping is still $10.87 per deck. Still lower than the pre-order without shipping at $11.99.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Feels like getting smacked right in the face.

Just 10 days later, a KS is launched with lower pricing per deck. 8 Decks with $23 shipping is still $10.87 per deck. Still lower than the pre-order without shipping at $11.99.

I felt similar myself. It didn't make me smile when I heard they want to ship with Amazon fulfillment service. Not that I have anything against Amazons amazing ability to fulfill very quickly. It's that Amazon doesn't give any special treatment to playing cards. They're just tossed in a big box and kicked out the door. You get what you get, which isn't often a pristine tuck. Ding, de ding ding. Call me crazy but I'm a fan of a pristine tuck when I'm slapping down over $4.00 a deck. I expect a few dings here and there when I'm only paying $1.69 - $2.89 at the pharmacy, etc.

I'll be crossing my fingers that Pre-ordered from the website will be shipped by someone who likes playing cards, instead of a company who doesn't distinguish playing cards from a bottle of chili sauce or a zombie killer hatchet.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I went ahead and backed this even though I've already pre-ordered on the albino site. I'd like to see the campaign succeed. It feels like the high shipping cost is hurting this campaign. Most people want 1-4 decks. Four being the high side though, usually 2 decks seem to pull the most backers. With this campaign the price per deck with shipping is pretty high until the 4 deck pledge. The "Shipping Shock" seems to be alienating a lot of potential backers. Breaking Bad is an extremely popular series by all accounts and Randy's design of the cards is impressive enough to pull in non-fans of the show like myself. The court work is wonderful as well.

It's an interesting choice to have Amazon doing the fulfillment on these. Each deck has to be received then labeled for Amazon, then shipped to the distribution center. I think the Amazon distribution center that handles the smaller items is just outside Dallas. I remember my brother, who lives in Austin, saying something about the distribution center next to Austin was going to handle large sized items. Even so, it's only three hours from Austin to Dallas as I remember. A day with a U-haul could get it done if they go that route. The decks have to be shipped three times before they get to us going this route though. That adds up, it's gets expensive, especially to have them shipped by people who don't care about playing cards. They'll just Amazon ship as always, tossed in a box with those air pillows.

Makes me wonder why Albino didn't decide to go with an easier and less expensive fulfillment center, one that doesn't require labels and can accept shipment direct from the manufacturer. There's a company just outside Dallas that can handle everything it's name starts with a G and ends with a house. They even specialize in playing cards and the like.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey Guys,
  I'm just now catching up on emails and posts from last week. The truth is we didn't know we were going to be able to offer the Kickstarter until after we had already done the pre-order. For most, the pre-order on the site was a better deal because of shipping, but for a few, it was typically the difference of a few dollars more.

We don't want anyone to feel cheated or slighted (or slapped in anyway, unless you're into that). So if you did the pre-order and the Kickstarter is a better option for you, let us know after the Kickstarter funds and we'll work something out with you.