You are Here:
Please Recommend a Deck

Author (Read 4229 times)

Please Recommend a Deck
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Hello everyone. It seems I've reached a point where I have every deck that I really want (barring unreleased kickstarter pledges).

My collection isn't huge, so there's a good chance I'm missing some good decks out there, ones I haven't been paying attention to. I'm hoping someone can recommend a new deck to add to my collection. It doesn't have to be the "best" deck ever, just a different, unique addition. As long as it's not a standard ellusionist, conjuring arts, dan dave or theory11 release, there's a good chance I don't have it. If you can give a short reason why, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Re: Please Recommend a Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:53:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Among the better decks out there, if not the best:

The Seasons collection (Primavera and Seronda in both Gold and Platinum editions)
Any deck made by Uusi
Bicycle Clot Ltd. Edition
Bicycle Bearbrick (often found alone, but also available in a boxed set with custom dice)
Federal 52 and all its offspring
Anything by Paul Carpenter
Anything by Randy Butterfield
Anything by the Expert Playing Card Company - though some dislike the Global Titan deck.
Anything by Zenneth Kok or sold in his shop
Pr1me Playing Cards
Anything from the Legends Playing Card Company
Anything by Misdirection's Mystery
The Ren Deck (a.k.a. the Shinobi deck)
I never got my hands on Takefu but it's beautiful
The Puppet and Kite set
Most if not all of the Club 808 decks - if you aren't a member, you should be: bicyclecards.com/808
The original and v2 Mechanic Decks (the original was produced/sold by HOPC, v2 is not and is on sale now)
David Blaine: Split Spades Bee, Split Spades Lions, White Lions.  The Tally Ho Split Spades aren't aging well and are pretty costly.  He also has a forthcoming deck called Gatorbacks.
Aladdins
Arrco Tahoe reprints (the originals are vintage)
Decks from card-shark.de, especially those made by USPC.  They have plenty of magician's gaffs as well as decks like marked, stripper, etc. and a really wild concept that's great for magic called the Double Decker - two decks of cards half as thick as standard pasteboards that fit in a single poker-sized box.  The mind can run wild with the potential for magic tricks you can do with it.

Do you need more, or is this enough to break your bank for today?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I have avoided making this topic because I can't afford what I knew would be a terribly appealing list from Don. Alas I am falling in love. Item by item. I need a better paying job...
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:00:37 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Got Vintage?  That's what got me into collecting cards originally though I don't have anything major in that field. 

I really like the Folio Society deck illustrated by Jon Burton.  It can be found on eBay but expect to pay a fair price unless you find a seller in England willing to ship to the US.

-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Actually, posting a copy of this topic in A Cellar of Fine Vintages might not be a bad idea, if he wants to dive into the vintage end of the pool.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Among the better decks out there, if not the best:

The Seasons collection (Primavera and Seronda in both Gold and Platinum editions)
Any deck made by Uusi
Bicycle Clot Ltd. Edition
Bicycle Bearbrick (often found alone, but also available in a boxed set with custom dice)
Federal 52 and all its offspring
Anything by Paul Carpenter
Anything by Randy Butterfield
Anything by the Expert Playing Card Company - though some dislike the Global Titan deck.
Anything by Zenneth Kok or sold in his shop
Pr1me Playing Cards
Anything from the Legends Playing Card Company
Anything by Misdirection's Mystery
I never got my hands on Takefu but it's beautiful
The Puppet and Kite set
Most if not all of the Club 808 decks - if you aren't a member, you should be: bicyclecards.com/808
The original and v2 Mechanic Decks (the original was produced/sold by HOPC, v2 is not and is on sale now)
David Blaine: Split Spades Bee, Split Spades Lions, White Lions.  The Tally Ho Split Spades aren't aging well and are pretty costly.  He also has a forthcoming deck called Gatorbacks.
Aladdins
Arrco Tahoe reprints (the originals are vintage)
Decks from card-shark.de, especially those made by USPC.  They have plenty of magician's gaffs as well as decks like marked, stripper, etc. and a really wild concept that's great for magic called the Double Decker - two decks of cards half as thick as standard pasteboards that fit in a single poker-sized box.  The mind can run wild with the potential for magic tricks you can do with it.

Do you need more, or is this enough to break your bank for today?  :))

Wow, thanks. I'll look or re-look into all of them.

And as for the other post, I'm a modern collector, but definitely open to vintage cards. In reality I need more advice on vintage cards than I do modern.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like to browse the look-what-i-added-to-my-collection threads here and on UC to find new (new to me) decks.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
What else are you looking for in playing cards? What are some of the favorite in your collection and why? This way we can point you in the right direction.

My personal suggestion are White Knuckles. Read about them and why the designer designed them the way he did, great stuff!
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
What else are you looking for in playing cards? What are some of the favorite in your collection and why? This way we can point you in the right direction.

My personal suggestion are White Knuckles. Read about them and why the designer designed them the way he did, great stuff!

I'll look into the white knuckles. Mostly I look for a back design that looks good in fans (even if I don't open the deck, i'd like to know it's there). If the back design is good enough, it can make up for a lack of customization elsewhere in the deck.

Some of my favorite designs are:

New Fan Backs
Doomsday Deck
Split Spades
Noc v2's
Anything Uusi

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Don pretty much covered most of the bases.

The Uusi and Jackson Robinson decks are largely unparalleled in terms of recently released decks. The Whispering Imps and Empire decks were also smashing successes (Rightfully so). Jackson also has a new Kickstarter project going on right now, and it's AWESOME! Check it out, if you haven't!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/the-independence-playing-cards-inspired-by-the-rev

I would also recommend the original Dan and Dave Smoke and Mirrors. They're simple, dynamic, and handle like a dream. The reprints are pretty lackluster, though.

Emmanuel Jose's decks are also stellar. He did the curator deck, and is going to release the Clipped Wings deck soon. Here's the topic.
http://www.playingcardforum.com/design-development/clipped-wings

If you like transformation decks, the Curator deck is a total jackpot. Clean, detailed, creative, and just all around amazing. The Stranger and Stranger Ultimate deck is also a great transformation deck, but the design's a bit busy for some.

One of my all-time favorite decks is the Fantastique deck. It has a flipbook animation back, and the art's extremely well done.

If you want straight-up weird, then get De'Vo's Pro Cardistry deck. 'Nuff said.

Hope this helps!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Hey there brother!

As expected, Don has given a pretty awesome list. Most of my picks are already mentioned by Don... but as you asked for reasons, I'll give reasoning with my 3 picks. In no particular order...

[1] Fournier 605 (Lee Asher signature series):
If you're into cards that have a classic look to them and handle differently to the "usual" USPCC stuff, these cards are definitely worth a try. Chances are that you'll either love them or hate them... but I absolutely love them, because I like stiffer cards. Once broken in, they have fantastic slip/glide, and are probably the most durable cards I have. Their resistance to crimping is better than any other decks that I own. Even my V2 Legends starting showing signs or wear after the abuse I put them through... but the 605s pressure fan brilliantly even after solid use/abuse.

[2] Legends V2: Again, brilliant cards for people who don't really think much of the usual USPCC decks. Although not as durable as the 605s (despite being stiffer), they're still damn good. They slide/glide when you need them to, yet are easy to grip/extract when required. In terms of design, they're pretty awesome also.

[3] White Lions by David Blaine: Although they look simple, they've got what I consider to be the best marking system ever created! My 8 year old cousin figured out the markings on the Madison decks (players and dealers) in a matter of minutes, and he figured out the (badly named!) "Ultimate" marked deck in seconds... but he had no chance at all when it came to figuring out the markings on the white lions. Heck, even adults couldn't do it.

[4] Anything by Encarded: Incredible designs. Paul C is definitely one of the greatest when it comes to designing cards with breathtaking detail.

[5] Anything by Midnight Cards: Once again, incredible designs. Randy's work is phenomenal, to say the very least.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

HolyJJ, I have all of those cards besides the Fournier 605's which is now on my to-buy list.
Mr. M I will look into the clipped wings deck since I am a fan of the EJ's Curator deck. I want to get a Fantastique, but I'll wait to buy it as a part of an ebay bundle or something. I'd rather not buy it by itself.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I never heard of this before. I did a search but didn't see a topic on this come up here.

Any additional information i can get other than e-bay listings on a quick search on google?

Just to add, i believe everybody got most covered. I like Uusi's artwork more than most, but that's just personal. Also maybe you can check out decks from Big Blind Media?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:29:01 PM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I can't believe I overlooked them!

Don pretty much covered most of the bases.

The Uusi and Jackson Robinson decks are largely unparalleled in terms of recently released decks. The Whispering Imps and Empire decks were also smashing successes (Rightfully so). Jackson also has a new Kickstarter project going on right now, and it's AWESOME! Check it out, if you haven't!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/the-independence-playing-cards-inspired-by-the-rev

I would also recommend the original Dan and Dave Smoke and Mirrors. They're simple, dynamic, and handle like a dream. The reprints are pretty lackluster, though.

Emmanuel Jose's decks are also stellar. He did the curator deck, and is going to release the Clipped Wings deck soon. Here's the topic.
http://www.playingcardforum.com/design-development/clipped-wings

If you like transformation decks, the Curator deck is a total jackpot. Clean, detailed, creative, and just all around amazing. The Stranger and Stranger Ultimate deck is also a great transformation deck, but the design's a bit busy for some.

One of my all-time favorite decks is the Fantastique deck. It has a flipbook animation back, and the art's extremely well done.

If you want straight-up weird, then get De'Vo's Pro Cardistry deck. 'Nuff said.

Hope this helps!

Kicking myself for forgetting Whispering Imps, Empire & Curator.  I left out S&M because I find them boring after the first three designs and I left out Fantastique because the criteria called for leaving out Dan and Dave decks!

The Pro-Cardistry deck...  Er, um...  They look like they fell out of a pre-teen girl's sketch book...

I never heard of this before. I did a search but didn't see a topic on this come up here.

Any additional information i can get other than e-bay listings on a quick search on google?

Just to add, i believe everybody got most covered. I like Uusi's artwork more than most, but that's just personal. Also maybe you can check out decks from Big Blind Media?

Little is known about the Ren deck.  There's no markings on it to indicate the producer or the artist.  It is widely believed, however, that the deck was printed by the same company that printed the Exquisites, Legends and all the Misdirection's Mystery decks - the fabled trade secret known as "the Taiwan factory"!  They handle exceptionally well, though mine are a little prone to warping - nothing that a deck clip couldn't fix.  The artwork's really cool, with custom faces and pips.

Should you get a chance to buy one, don't hesitate.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
Little is known about the Ren deck.  There's no markings on it to indicate the producer or the artist.  It is widely believed, however, that the deck was printed by the same company that printed the Exquisites, Legends and all the Misdirection's Mystery decks - the fabled trade secret known as "the Taiwan factory"!  They handle exceptionally well, though mine are a little prone to warping - nothing that a deck clip couldn't fix.  The artwork's really cool, with custom faces and pips.

Guess I'll be going tomorrow to see the price.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I think S&M are boring to card collectors that have been in the game since the beginning of the line. I for one really like the Carbon, Denim and Eco... or blue, green, carbon. V7 can all be bought by the deck for $8 at artofplay.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think S&M are boring to card collectors that have been in the game since the beginning of the line. I for one really like the Carbon, Denim and Eco... or blue, green, carbon. V7 can all be bought by the deck for $8 at artofplay.

The ones they're selling are the v7 reprint decks, with the exception of Carbon, the only new deck in the v7 line-up.  They aren't the originals, but copies of v3 through v6.  They're not the same as the originals - they have Magic Finish while the originals didn't, and they have USPC standard faces while the originals had custom courts and Perfect Pips.  It's almost like describing two different decks.

What made v4-6 boring was that it was the same exact design in three different colors, whereas the first three versions were at least original designs.  V7 shares the same back in a different color, but minus the little things that actually made the deck stand out in the slightest bit from a pack of off-the-shelf Bicycles from the pharmacy or the newsstand.

For clarity, in case someone new to all of this is reading: the entire Smoke and Mirrors (S&M) series is:

Version 1 - 1st Edition Smoke (white) and Mirror (black)
Version 2 - Special Edition Smoke (white) and Mirror (black)
Version 3 - Luxury Edition Smoke (white) and Mirror (black)
Version 4 - Eco Edition (green)
Version 5 - Paper Denim Edition (pale blue)
Version 6 - Rouge Edition (red)

Version 7 was a boxed set containing:
Version 7 Smoke (copy of Luxury Edition)
Version 7 Mirror (copy of Luxury Edition)
Version 7 Eco
Version 7 Paper Denim
Version 7 Rouge
Version 7 Carbon (gray) - the only new deck in the set
All six decks were changed to have perforated seals on the tuck boxes, Magic Finish replacing the original finish used (they claimed it was a special, proprietary finish, but I have doubts) and standard USPC faces.

A special edition of version 7 called "Carbon Copy" was released with six V7 Carbon decks inside and no others.

Last there's "version 8" - despite claims from the Buck twins that V7 would be the last S&M deck...the Gold Reserve deck.  So far it was a giveaway for Deck of the Month club members and it was included in their latest Variety Box, not sold individually.  I would theorize that they're saving it as a prize deck, similar to decks like the Gold Arcane, Red Artifice, Black Ghost 1st Edition, etc.

That gives us a total of SIXTEEN different deck designs in the entire series.  Even Jackson Robinson isn't this ambitious, though he does get his multideck oeuvres done in much less time...

But hey - I digress!  Please, move along, nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, continue as if this never happened...  :))

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:18:48 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
The ones they're selling are the v7 reprint decks, with the exception of Carbon, the only new deck in the v7 line-up.  They aren't the originals, but copies of v3 through v6.  They're not the same as the originals - they have Magic Finish while the originals didn't, and they have USPC standard faces while the originals had custom courts and Perfect Pips.  It's almost like describing two different decks.
Thanks Mr. Fancy pants, now I notice the difference and mine don't feel as cool.

Also
A special edition of version 7 called "Carbon Copy" was released with six V7 Carbon decks inside and no others.

POW!!!!

YOU WERE WRONG, AND I GET TO CORRECT YOU!!! Which makes me feel much better about my subpar smoke and mirrors.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:19:44 AM by DarkDerp »

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Mr. Fancy pants, now I notice the difference and mine don't feel as cool.

Also

POW!!!!

YOU WERE WRONG, AND I GET TO CORRECT YOU!!! Which makes me feel much better about my subpar smoke and mirrors.

Actually, they DID release a special edition called "Carbon Copy".  Of the 10,000 sets of Smokes and Mirrors version 7 boxed sets, sets numbered from 7,001 through 7,777 contained only Carbon decks.  You can see for yourself.

http://shop.dananddave.com/playing-cards/smoke-and-mirrors-carbon-copy.html

It was $77.70 for six Carbon decks, as opposed to the $150 you would spend now at Art of Play to get the same number of decks without the collector box or certificate of authenticity.  But they're sold out, so AoP is the place to get them.

So...pow...

Oh, wait...  You think that it's the fact that these are the v7 Carbon decks...and you think they're the real deal!  If you set the color selection to anything but Carbon, the price is $8 a pack.  They're NOT the originals - I'm not even sure if the originals were EVER that cheap!  Only the Carbon deck - which technically is an original though it is made in the same manner as the reprints - costs $25.

If you don't believe me, just click on that bright red link in the product description labeled "Smoke & Mirror Playing Cards" - it will take you to this page, where the v7 boxed set is still available, even after all these months.

http://shop.dananddave.com/smoke-and-mirrors-deluxe-box-set.html

Yes, they're ALL version 7 decks.

So...pow-pow...

But seriously - don't sweat it.  The fact is with the Magic Finish, they do handle better in my opinion than the originals did.  I have versions 4, 5 & 6 at home, so I have something with which to compare them.  They don't have the same design aesthetic, but if they make you happy - that's all that really matters, no matter what I say, right?  Smile, brother!

Better to know what you own than not know and think it's something else.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:38:01 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:56 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Oh I thought you were saying that the Carbon V7 were only released in the box set.. meh.  :-[ MEH!!!

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 03:26:33 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular

......and I just bought the deck. Around 20 USD.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

......and I just bought the deck. Around 20 USD.

It handles just like the Watcher deck and Moth/Myth white - same printer, we suspect.  Even the tuck box design is a dead-on match.  You'll like it.  If you don't, let me know - maybe I'll buy it from you!

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Does anyone know the Taiwan factory that produced the exquisites, Legends etc..?  The big one back in my printing days was was Kuo Kau.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does anyone know the Taiwan factory that produced the exquisites, Legends etc..?  The big one back in my printing days was was Kuo Kau.

That, my friend, is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the business...

However, a company like Expert Playing Card Company would be happy to have your deck printed there, if you like.  They're becoming a little popular now.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
So just an update on the original question. I'm going ahead and taking Don's (+ others') advice and getting a Seasons set, Pr1me playing cards, I found some luxurious gold Bee's, and when I get a chance some Lee Asher 605's. Also got a Bicycle Evolution and Creepy deck along the way even though no one recommended them in particular.