CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
via MagikFingerz on UC

Another new deck looking for funding!

Oblivion Deck Features

Printed by the United States Playing Card Co.
    Printed on Q1 325 paper just like any standard Bicycle® Deck
    New Magic Finish for magicians and cardists
    56 poker-sized cards (including 2 Jokers and 2 gaffs)
    Custom face and back designs
    Metallic inks on parts of every card
    Custom-designed tuck box

Website for funding: http://www.indiegogo.com/oblivion-playing-cards

CBJ
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:44:14 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: New Deck - Oblivion Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like the joker.
But somehow the ace resemble the arcane deck.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Looks like the artifice back, plus arcane ace, plus diablo font.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

yea but i do like the joker i have a friend who would kill for these, i will get a few decks :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
The back is a complete ripoff...  The guy has no originality.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Looks cool but as mentioned, there's some serious similarities with other decks.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular
  • "Heres to those actually in the arena..."

• Facebook:
Ace reminds me strongly of the Arcane, I like the joker but i dont know if i will go for this. Looks too much like the Arcane for my tastes.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:

^^^^^ exactly my first reaction when i saw these. was anyone else hoping for an elders scrolls themed deck??
have you heard the word???

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
^^^^^ exactly my first reaction when i saw these. was anyone else hoping for an elders scrolls themed deck??

STOP! You have violated the Law!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
1. Back design is basically a horrible version of the Artifice design.
2. Ace of Spades is clearly an over-simplified Arcane spade.
3. More skulls + black deck = no thank you for me. At least Karnival has original art in their grunge ridden cards.

Also, Kickstarter is only for people in the US. If you're international you can't start a project on it. Hence why IGG exists. However, it is much less popular and it seems that this is the second playing card project on there that directly steals artwork and attempts to pass it off as original. This one is less blatant about it because all thefts are conceptual.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I like black decks, but this one is just far too close to plagiarism for my tastes. As everyone said, it immediately conjures up Arcane and Artifice. Normally conjuring is a cool thing, but this one really isn't.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 02:45:28 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
3. More skulls + black deck = no thank you for me. At least Karnival has original art in their grunge ridden cards.

Also, Kickstarter is only for people in the US. If you're international you can't start a project on it. Hence why IGG exists. However, it is much less popular and it seems that this is the second playing card project on there that directly steals artwork and attempts to pass it off as original. This one is less blatant about it because all thefts are conceptual.
You took all my words!  :-[  :P

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

exactly!! I really wish that people would come up with more original designs. Those are the ones that are going to sell. The Vortex deck is an example of that. We haven't seen a deck similar before so it is fresh and inviting. I also think the same for the Americana deck and the Revision 1 deck. A blueprint deck?! genius! I am getting sick of similar looking black decks, and I feel like I already have this deck in the form of the Arcanes, Artifice, and Karnival decks.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Did you guys happen to notice that after about a month, they have a whopping TEN DOLLARS raised on a goal of $18K and 25 days to go?  And that sole backer wants to pull his funding!

I never heard of Indiegogo before...  The "Flexible Funding" feature sounds like it has great potential for abuse.  So, your project doesn't meet the goal, doesn't have a chance of getting made, but you keep all the cash raised - for what?  Beer and pretzels?

The only other "legit" deck on the site is the Olympus, which had a mere $2K goal (must have been aiming low for production values) and still failed.

The sorting function is pretty lame as well.  On Kickstarter, I search for "playing cards" and I get projects that create playing cards.  On Indiegogo, I get every single project with the words "playing" and/or "cards" anywhere in the description, leading to hundreds of results having nothing at all to do with playing cards.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:47:24 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Agree with the rest, first impression of the cards are that the ace looks like arcanes and the back like the artifice.. thought it'll be cool to have one for the metallic ink but then again.. not really worth it..
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Exactly what I thought! I'll definitely pass up on this deck.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Any status on its printing?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Umm.... never....
Its on a kickstarter type of site and only has $10 and needs $10,000
And its been on there for a very, very long time

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
Poor dude's not getting his $10 back.  ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well then. Guess that's a resounding loss for unoriginality. Would have figured they would have gotten a few more bucks, but I guess this was such an obvious ripoff that nobody was impressed.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Yep, not getting an Artifice/Arcane ripoff anytime soon. ::)
It looks like they didn't even try to hide it. It's so blatantly obvious, if I compare the back to the artifice deck I keep close I can actually see exactly which lines were copied, slightly altered, etc... Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:08:19 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Extremely unlikely.  One person backed it for $10, it has about three-and-a-half weeks to go and an $18K goal, and that one lonely backer wants to pull his funding because it's clearly unlikely to reach the goal, but with "flexible funding" you still fork over the cash if the goal isn't met.  And that doesn't even take into account that it's on a far less popular funding site than Kickstarter - that flex-funding crap is probably a good reason why.  What few projects I looked at, a random sampling, ALL have flex-funding.

I can put up a project that I want to open a diamond mine in Africa "somewhere", set a stupid-high goal, miss the funding mark by a longshot, and anyone foolish enough to back me in the first place forks over their cash so I can buy junk food and playing cards!  Some of the projects don't even actually produce something or have any creative value - one couple is raising money to adopt a baby from an expensive private service (probably too picky, want a kid their own skin color instead of one from a public orphanage that's less likely to get adopted) and another was to raise money for a guy who blew his knee out playing basketball, can't work and now needs expensive rehab and help with the bills.

I should start a project: help a starving magician achieve his dream of not starving.  Your reward is all the goodwill you generate with your donations.  Extra money goes to Asian "masseuse" hookers - just kidding, but you see where I'm going with this.

Not likely, no...  Yay, flexible funding...

Well then. Guess that's a resounding loss for unoriginality. Would have figured they would have gotten a few more bucks, but I guess this was such an obvious ripoff that nobody was impressed.

Thank the gods!  Also that flex-funding crap probably makes people skittish.

It looks like they didn't even try to hide it. It's so blatantly obvious, if I compare the back to the artifice deck I keep close I can actually see exactly which lines were copied, slightly altered, etc... Ridiculous.

Ironically, if he came out with this just a little earlier, say a year or eighteen months (of course without the Artifice ripoff, but there's other art to copy, right?), he might have gotten the project off the ground - or at least come up with more than one backer and $10.  We collectors are a fickle bunch and have mostly had our fill of black with Gothic imagery.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:08:52 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 12:19:43 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am going to make a project, Make a $100 000 goal and just make some extra money :) :) ;)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I am going to make a project, Make a $100 000 goal and just make some extra money :) :) ;)

People will be beating a path to your door - to beat the snot out of you!   ;)

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Extremely unlikely.  One person backed it for $10, it has about three-and-a-half weeks to go and an $18K goal, and that one lonely backer wants to pull his funding because it's clearly unlikely to reach the goal, but with "flexible funding" you still fork over the cash if the goal isn't met.  And that doesn't even take into account that it's on a far less popular funding site than Kickstarter - that flex-funding crap is probably a good reason why.  What few projects I looked at, a random sampling, ALL have flex-funding.

I can put up a project that I want to open a diamond mine in Africa "somewhere", set a stupid-high goal, miss the funding mark by a longshot, and anyone foolish enough to back me in the first place forks over their cash so I can buy junk food and playing cards!  Some of the projects don't even actually produce something or have any creative value - one couple is raising money to adopt a baby from an expensive private service (probably too picky, want a kid their own skin color instead of one from a public orphanage that's less likely to get adopted) and another was to raise money for a guy who blew his knee out playing basketball, can't work and now needs expensive rehab and help with the bills.

I should start a project: help a starving magician achieve his dream of not starving.  Your reward is all the goodwill you generate with your donations.  Extra money goes to Asian "masseuse" hookers - just kidding, but you see where I'm going with this.

Not likely, no...  Yay, flexible funding...

Thank the gods!  Also that flex-funding crap probably makes people skittish.

Ironically, if he came out with this just a little earlier, say a year or eighteen months (of course without the Artifice ripoff, but there's other art to copy, right?), he might have gotten the project off the ground - or at least come up with more than one backer and $10.  We collectors are a fickle bunch and have mostly had our fill of black with Gothic imagery.

i would join you in making that project ;)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.