Clockwork Bicycle® Playing Cards
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Clockwork Bicycle® Playing Cards

Project by DB Designs

First created, Early bird £10/1-£18/2, Standard £12/1-£20/2,  Shipping outside UK-£8/1-£12/2
£1,000 goal ? ? ? ?

Currently we only offer "Deck of 54 cards", but if we manage to jump over the funding goal and stretch our limits beyond the top of a deck
Isn't USPC is 56 cards, or have they changed something?

I like the design idea, but major flaw - Spades/Clubs have dark grey back, Hearts/Diamonds have red background, Jokers have a light grey/white background, and backs have a black background. Completely useless for playing poker.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Clockwork Bicycle® Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »

vmagic

I would stay away from this one, too many red flags! Only a 1000 pound goal for a Bicycle deck? No Facebook page or website? Seems kind of shady to me!

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like the concept, but not much else at this point.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I would stay away from this one, too many red flags! Only a 1000 pound goal for a Bicycle deck? No Facebook page or website? Seems kind of shady to me!

Well, that, and the fact that the deck is butt-ugly...

From their "Who Are We?" section:
Two graphic designing graduates have banded together to bring our dreams to reality.
In other words, two unemployed n00bs who didn't get grades good enough to get jobs straight out of school...  No one who's ever designed a deck and knows what they're doing would make this pile of dreck and call it a deck.

From their "Risks and Challenges" section:
The only risk that can come about is those that do not like our designs.
If THIS is the only potential risk they can see, they're both blind.  I may be right, judging from their designs.  Anyone who honestly thinks they can make a Bicycle deck on just GB£1,000 (barely more than US$1,600) is completely oblivious to the realities of deck design work.  Their deck MIGHT stand a chance if they spent 600-800% of their present goal, and I don't see two freshly-minted university grads as having the extra £5,000 to £7,000 needed to get this thing made if they barely cross the goal line.

In summary, I don't care if you think the design is the greatest thing since fried ice cream and naked women - DO NOT TOUCH THIS PROJECT WITH A TEN-FOOT POLE.  In its present state, if this thing makes its goal, it's got "successful failure" written all over it.  They'll simply be unable to deliver, period, end of story, unless they do go that high over their goal - which is about as likely as dealing four royal flushes in the same poker game...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:16:13 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

Two graphic designing graduates have banded together to bring our dreams to reality.
In other words, two unemployed n00bs who didn't get grades good enough to get jobs straight out of school...  No one who's ever designed a deck and knows what they're doing would make this pile of dreck and call it a deck.

If THIS is the only potential risk they can see, they're both blind.  I may be right, judging from their designs.  Anyone who honestly thinks they can make a Bicycle deck on just GB£1,000 (barely more than US$1,600) is completely oblivious to the realities of deck design work.  Their deck MIGHT stand a chance if they spent 600-800% of their present goal, and I don't see two freshly-minted university grads as having the extra £5,000 to £7,000 needed to get this thing made if they barely cross the goal line.

In summary, I don't care if you think the design is the greatest thing since fried ice cream and naked women - DO NOT TOUCH THIS PROJECT WITH A TEN-FOOT POLE.  In its present state, if this thing makes its goal, it's got "successful failure" written all over it.  They'll simply be unable to deliver, period, end of story, unless they do go that high over their goal - which is about as likely as dealing four royal flushes in the same poker game...

Yeah the deck is absolutely terrible and whoever backs it should be well aware of the potential red flags. However, Don, your statement: "In other words, two unemployed n00bs who didn't get grades good enough to get jobs straight out of school..." could not be more inaccurate and insensitive. Art and design graduates in nature are are a hit or miss in terms of finding employment, especially straight out of University. Im not sure what it was back in your time, but in this generation, grades in most courses except maybe engineering/mathematical related courses do not play even a substantial part in finding employment; especially in an area such as Visual Art/Design. Even in my Law course, grades are secondary to many other skills necessary that employers find attractive. I don't appreciate such blatant and frankly, wrong statements.

Sorry if i got a bit carried away and off topic. It's just that your remark relates a lot to my friends in their final years of University and you could not have made a worse and misguided statement even if you tried. Kinda hit deep, Don. :(

But yeah, back on topic. AVOID THIS DECK.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:41:01 AM by Fred »
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah the deck is absolutely terrible and whoever backs it should be well aware of the potential red flags. However, Don, your statement: "In other words, two unemployed n00bs who didn't get grades good enough to get jobs straight out of school..." could not be more inaccurate and insensitive. Art and design graduates in nature are are a hit or miss in terms of finding employment, especially straight out of University. Im not sure what it was back in your time, but in this generation, grades in most courses except maybe engineering/mathematical related courses do not play even a substantial part in finding employment; especially in an area such as Visual Art/Design. Even in my Law course, grades are secondary to many other skills necessary that employers find attractive. I don't appreciate such blatant and frankly, wrong statements.

Sorry if i got a bit carried away and off topic. It's just that your remark relates a lot to my friends in their final years of University and you could not have made a worse and misguided statement even if you tried. Kinda hit deep, Don. :(

But yeah, back on topic. AVOID THIS DECK.

There was one little bit I added in there, meant to dial down the harshness and narrow the focus.  I referred to them as "n00bs" and mentioned in the very next sentence about how "No one who's ever designed a deck and knows what they're doing...etc."  I meant it to refer to how they're n00bs in deck design, and it shows.

If anyone was offended by my remarks, and I'll grant that I did get a little carried away with the hyperbole, than I apologize for that.  I understand that it's a terrible job market out there, regardless of whether one is experienced or freshly graduated, and regardless of your level of skill.  I'd wager there's more than a few designers out there who, being underemployed, decided that deck design was a way to go in an effort to make a few more bucks.  Some of the results are outstanding.  This in not one of those results - this is a train wreck waiting to happen.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »

Sovereign

• True Member
Funding has been cancelled - they probably got round to getting a quote from USPCC and shat a brick. Never mind!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Funding has been cancelled - they probably got round to getting a quote from USPCC and shat a brick. Never mind!

They were probably tipped off by one of their backers.  I've seen that happen before.  Either that, or they Googled their deck and found this page!  :))

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
12.8% funding in only a few hours! They were on track for Federal 52/Pedale funding speed records! :-)

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Is it too late to mention that the design was on par with fried women and naked ice cream?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:24:27 AM »

magnacat

Is it too late to mention that the design was on par with fried women and naked ice cream?

myself, i think ice cream is much sexier clothed... it leaves something to the imagination...
fried women on the other hand~ i don't get too excited for crusty girl parts... so the comparison to this deck is right on... <^_^>

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
This deck has been relaunched here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dbdesigns/clockwork-bicycle-playing-cards-deck-0

I agree with the others. Stay away.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah.  The goal is more reasonable, but the cards are still butt-ugly and insanely simple in design without actually being elegant.  It looks like it was made by someone who just recently started using Photoshop and is still messing around with it and learning the ropes.  There's no art to it.

And don't get me started on the impracticality of the design...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:15:17 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well no disrespect to the designer or any designer for that matter, but Don you brought up a point that I kind of started using in my KS choices..........level of proficiency with your design software. I'm not bad with PS, but I'm nowhere near great and when I look at some of these and I can tell how they did it and which one button filters were used and the little voice in my head says "I could do that"  I tend to shy away.

Don't get me wrong, Kudos for the effort and actually going through the process, but KS is definitely separating the "Men form the boys" so to speak.

On a side note, is it just me or is the tendency to present over the top, effect saturated, busyness the thing some 1st timers "Think" people are looking for? I'll be honest, I'm a big fan of art decks, but I find that the more simple yet well thought out "Reinvention" of a deck is much more attractive. 

Either way, Good Luck with the project.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:39:29 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well no disrespect to the designer or any designer for that matter, but Don you brought up a point that I kind of started using in my KS choices..........level of proficiency with your design software. I'm not bad with PS, but I'm no were near great and when I look at some of these and I can tell how they did it and which one button filters were used and the little voice in my head says "I could do that"  I tend to shy away.

Don't get me wrong, Kudos for the effort and actually going through the process, but KS is definitely separating the "Men form the boys" so to speak.

On a side note, is it just me or is the tendency to present over the top, effect saturated, busyness the thing some 1st timers "Think" people are looking for? I'll be honest, I'm a big fan of art decks, but I find that the more simple yet well thought out "Reinvention" of a deck is much more attractive. 

Either way, Good Luck with the project.

What you said about "men from the boys" (well, "men form the boys," actually :))) rings true.  These are first-attempt amateur efforts from kids who are enthusiastic about the hobby but don't fully realize what design is, what's artful and what's simply regurgitated from the default effects, and what things cost.  Anyone who posts a KS deck project for a thousand pounds sterling and says USPC will make it clearly has no idea of they're doing - and that's what his initial attempt was for, just £1,000.  I'm inclined to believe that the designer is genuinely a kid, and one with more enthusiasm than artistic talent.

Is it a bad thing to be so eager?  Not really - but channel the enthusiasm to make a better project and do the legwork to know what your costs will be first.  It might take years, or you might discover you simply lack the artistic skills to get it done.  If so, well, so be it - hire a designer, someone who has the chops, and just run the project.  But to simply drop this mess on our laps and say, "Here - buy my deck!" clearly shows that the creator is someone who's not ready yet.  Even the basics of playing card design are ignored here, like having a proper index that has the value and suit in the same corner.  It's more of an attempt at a digital version of a folk art project than an attempt at deck design.

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I guess now they have a functional deck and an ok Kickstarter. They should have let the other 2 restarts run its course instead of canceling.  It just looks bad.  The only bitch I have is now their court card suits are hard to determine at a distance, but I won't bug them anymore.  I'll just lurk and see what happens.  It also looks like they fixed the box, but the back of the card is still "1-way"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:11:58 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The deck took a tiny step forward - but it needs a hop, skip and a jump...  These graphics look like someone went back in time and hired a designer who uses an Amiga 500 with cutting edge 1992 software...

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 12:20:08 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Again, I wish them luck , but it still has that entry level Photoshop look to it. I would suggest more creativity and less "One Button" filters and effects. The concept has potential, I would keep at it.