Bicycle Griffin - 2nd "Club 808" Exclusive Deck

Author (Read 4586 times)

Bicycle Griffin - 2nd "Club 808" Exclusive Deck
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
All I know about it so far is what you see here - a small black-and-white image of the box, which was labeled "Coming Soon" in the VIP Shop within Club 808.  Looks to be based on the mythical creature, the gryphon, based on the front of the box.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Bicycle Griffin - 2nd "Club 808" Exclusive Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
Well, the box looks nice ;)
The black/white/silver-ish colors look cool guess we've seen that mix before, but the gryphon is something I don't remember seeing before..

Hope to see some pics of the actual cards at some point  ::)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Seems interesting! Like the look of it. Don, Are you a member of Club 808?
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I am. Wasn't going to post this up until I found more info on it
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
Seems interesting! Like the look of it. Don, Are you a member of Club 808?

Yes he is. (He mentioned it in another thread http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/club-808/msg63333/#msg63333)
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, the box looks nice ;)
The black/white/silver-ish colors look cool guess we've seen that mix before, but the gryphon is something I don't remember seeing before..

Hope to see some pics of the actual cards at some point  ::)

Actually, I think that this is a black-and-white image of the deck, rather than full color.  I'm thinking this tuck box will be a lot more colorful when you see it...

And yes, folks, I'm a member - I got the image straight from the Club 808 section of Wingra Direct.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It probably is, because, by the look of it, the decks looks boring. I'm not a very big fan of grey-scaled decks, but the dragon really seems appealing.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It probably is, because, by the look of it, the decks looks boring. I'm not a very big fan of grey-scaled decks, but the dragon really seems appealing.

DOES NO ONE READ ANYMORE?!?  I stated in the prior post to this one that it's just the IMAGE that's black and white, and that the DECK is likely in COLOR - what colors exactly remain to be seen.  And it's NOT a dragon, it's a GRYPHON, a mythical creature from European folklore/mythology.

From the Wikipedia article, "Griffin":

The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, grýphōn, or γρύπων, grýpōn, early form γρύψ, grýps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body and tail and back legs of a lion, and the head and wings of an eagle, and an eagle's feet as its front feet. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of the creatures. Griffins are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions. Adrienne Mayor, a classical folklorist, proposes that the griffin was an ancient misconception derived from the fossilized remains of the Protoceratops found in gold mines in the Altai mountains of Scythia, in present day southeastern Kazakhstan, or in Mongolia. In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine. Some have suggested that the word griffin is cognate with Cherub.

Note in the images below the non-dragon-like qualities of the gryphon...and please read BEFORE you comment next time, unless it's your preference to seem unintelligent.  :))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:44:37 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
And I was agreeing with you that the deck most likely is in color. I also went on to say that grey-scaled decks look boring, and I doubt USPCC would put something through like that.

P.S. - The "dragon" reference just slipped by mind. When reading your post, I knew it was a griffin, but my mind skipped over it when I was posting. It looks like a dragon, though, doesn't it?

P.P.S. - This deck reminds me of Harry Potter! :)) Griffindor!

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yeap This photo IS just a greyscale version. If you take a look at the gradient on the the background of the Bicycle Logo.

And I was agreeing with you that the deck most likely is in color. I also went on to say that grey-scaled decks look boring, and I doubt USPCC would put something through like that.

P.S. - The "dragon" reference just slipped by mind. When reading your post, I knew it was a griffin, but my mind skipped over it when I was posting. It looks like a dragon, though, doesn't it?

P.P.S. - This deck reminds me of Harry Potter! :)) Griffindor!

Penalty of 10 points to  the house of KPopFever :)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

nukraze

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
This image is available on the Club 808 site if you know where to look.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hmm, I like the look of this but I hope its not a basic edit job from the standard Bike. 

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This image is available on the Club 808 site if you know where to look.

Sweet find.

Hmm, I like the look of this but I hope its not a basic edit job from the standard Bike. 

Pretty much every USPC "custom" deck they design for themselves is just a nice back with 100% standard USPC faces, sometimes even right down to the Ace of Spades and jokers.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Now, that box looks very pretty, for lack of a better word. I absolutely adore the teal color scheme and the fade.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now, that box looks very pretty, for lack of a better word. I absolutely adore the teal color scheme and the fade.

Not just teal - metallic foil teal.  I hope the deck looks as nice.

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Club 808 just announced that the Griffin deck is available and it has released some pictures.
It looks very nice. Looking forward the get it on my hands.
Some posters were also released.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342945429144949.70407.271123556327137&type=1
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Wow.   I really like that metallic emerald green on the tuck box!   I was blah when I first seen photos of this deck.   I'm starting to change my views.
- Adam

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Wow.   I really like that metallic emerald green on the tuck box!   I was blah when I first seen photos of this deck.   I'm starting to change my views.

I agree with you about the tuck box.
But it would be so much better if the cards were different than usual, or had some different colour scheme. There is a picture with part of the back of the cards that i didn't posted before, but I think they haven't any metallic ink.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I'm Digging on the back design. I understand its Midievil but it almost looks Celtic with the green/teal color scheme.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'm quite impressed by this tuck box! I do like the foiling on it as well. I don't know why they didn't just at the very least change the color of the courts to a matching teal or something of that shade. I would be more inclined to try and pick up a few if it was more customized than just that. Then again.... The ace of spades is actually pretty nicely done in my opinion.

Thing is, I haven't paid for the membership. ~$20 a year isn't too bad to get access to "special" decks. But the decks are going to have to wow me a little more for me to pick up a membership just to get some cards. The exclusive access to interviews isn't very attractive to me cause I feel Ike you can find those on YouTube. The articles don't interest me too much. The chance to be involved in contests is actually pretty cool but I don't think I've ever won something from a contest in the past fifteen years so I doubt I'd win now.

All in all, nice box Theory11 I mean Bicycle but I am not, at the moment, inclined to get the membership for this deck. :(
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I absolutely love the look of the deck box! Not so much the deck that is. I love the fact they used metallic foil and a limited edition seal, but just a custom Ace of Spades and back design will push me to buying the deck.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

pyite

• Newcomer
I think I just bought the last 5 decks, at least of their first "batch" of decks. When I added 6 decks to my cart, the stock status was "In Stock".  When the page transferred to my cart, it said  "5 decks in stock, more on the way, 1 deck ships in 1-2 weeks".  After I completed my purchase, I went back to the 808 shop and the stock status is "More on the way, ships in 1-2 weeks".  So it looks like i got the last 5 that they had available for shipment, and 1 deck on back order. Anyone see them as "in stock" right now?

I assume that they cut and packaged  maybe 1-2 thousand decks, stored the rest as uncut sheets, and waited to see if anyone actually bought them before shelling out the expense of cutting and packaging the rest of the decks.  Does anyone with knowledge of the manufacturing process know if this would be practical? Why else might they not have all of the decks available for shipment?

This tells me that USPCC was very unsure of the potential demand for their club 808 decks.  The decks have been on sale for less than 24 hours and they were not prepared for the demand at all. Hopefully, this will encourage USPCC to produce high quality custom decks more often. 

PS, this is my first post!

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think I just bought the last 5 decks, at least of their first "batch" of decks. When I added 6 decks to my cart, the stock status was "In Stock".  When the page transferred to my cart, it said  "5 decks in stock, more on the way, 1 deck ships in 1-2 weeks".  After I completed my purchase, I went back to the 808 shop and the stock status is "More on the way, ships in 1-2 weeks".  So it looks like i got the last 5 that they had available for shipment, and 1 deck on back order. Anyone see them as "in stock" right now?

I assume that they cut and packaged  maybe 1-2 thousand decks, stored the rest as uncut sheets, and waited to see if anyone actually bought them before shelling out the expense of cutting and packaging the rest of the decks.  Does anyone with knowledge of the manufacturing process know if this would be practical? Why else might they not have all of the decks available for shipment?

This tells me that USPCC was very unsure of the potential demand for their club 808 decks.  The decks have been on sale for less than 24 hours and they were not prepared for the demand at all. Hopefully, this will encourage USPCC to produce high quality custom decks more often. 

PS, this is my first post!

1st, welcome aboard.

2nd, I just bought a half-dozen, no sweat, in stock.

3rd, it's a limited edition - of course there aren't going to be large quantities!  :))

More on this later...gotta go to work.

EDIT: OK, I'm back...  I did spot that my decks will ship in one to two weeks, but hey, so what?  I'm patient and they look cool.

For those of you who aren't members, here's a look at the deck.  It's basically another deck with a cool-ass box and nice vintage back design - and totally standard faces other than the ace of spades.  I'd actually like it more if it wasn't limited - it's a very cool deck for performing, but with this kind if scarcity, maybe half or more will end up under glass or sealed in a box somewhere, aging like some fine wine...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:37:16 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
For those of you who aren't members, here's a look at the deck.
Did you see that those four stock photos were uploaded on the first page?

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 01:38:38 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Like I said earlier, feels like it could be just another Theory11 release. Nice box but little customization on the inside. I guess it works, as Don said, well for performing because the Bicycle logo is familiar and the back is nice but that's about it. I might get it if it pops up on eBay or something. Or if another deck comes up that I can't pass up I'll pick up a memership.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 03:32:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
For those of you who aren't members, here's a look at the deck.
Did you see that those four stock photos were uploaded on the first page?

Nope - missed that.  Otherwise I'd have saved myself the effort!