You are Here:
Any ideas what to do with a suitcase full of open but never used decks?

Author (Read 4790 times)

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Back from my binge collecting days I accrued several hundred decks, mostly all different and unique in some way, that I opened but never used aside from a few fans.

The result is I have nowhere to put them, and nothing to do with them but leave them rotting in a suitcase.

Aside from the handful of rare decks in there I don't see how it would be possible to sell any of it (I know CardsRFun sold his opened decks, but he did it to help out his dad, and I would just buy popsicles with mine or something).

On the other hand, I think throwing them away would be a waste, and an insult to all the folks who don't have the means to get these decks.

Using them is out of the question too, since I have my own personal gross of Vortex decks to use, and going through about one deck a week, I have enough for the next few years. Plus, *using* a vintage Blue Ribbon deck somehow feels wrong to me. :P

Maybe you guys could help me with this conundrum.

FYI, on a somewhat unrelated note, what is up with the whole "opened and used toys only" drives around the holidays? I wanted to donate a gross of decks, but apparently they'd only accept used stuff. Absolutely baffling.

On that note, if any of you do charity work (like I know Don does hospital magic tours for the children) and would like some free, high quality, open decks of cards, let me know. I'd only ask you pay the shipping and handling charge, and maybe this way I can unload a few dozen of these.

I want to get rid of my open decks before I sell my sealed stuff, because right now organization is a nightmare!
Forum Founder.

Re: Any ideas what to do with a suitcase full of open but never used decks?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Give them all to me, free shipping.

/thread
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Give them all to me, free shipping.

/thread
No. Give them all to me - and why not throw in a cheeky $10?
Love is magic

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'd be interested in some decks with interesting artwork. If you have any that are cool and obscure, let me know!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Alex, in all seriousness, if you are looking to give away any sealed or used decks, I'd be very interested. I know your collection so I'm very keen in seeing what you have to offer.

Edit: also, stop opening sealed decks! Use the ones in the suit case. Once they run out start opening sealed decks again. Or! Just do a big bundle an put it on eBay for $500...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:37:35 PM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
I may be interested in buying them. Could you put up a list of what these decks are, please?
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Give some to all of us who are interested.   Just make a list of who all would like some decks and split them up evenly.   Spread the hoiday joy!
- Adam

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Just do "Mystery 6-Packs" or whatever you think would work for you. Put 6-decks in a flat-rate envelope and ship them out. Nobody gets to pick - that would be a nightmare for you to work through. People send you $8.00 (or whatever you think is right) and $5.00 coves shipping in the U.S. They then get a belated Christmas present with some mystery decks.

Just do it with domestic shipping. The international shipping costs make it rough for our overseas collector friends, but you can't do anything about that. Whatever's left, do a one-shot package for an international buyer.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Depending on what the decks are, you could do a Mystery Deck kind of thing. Have those of us on the forum pay so much per deck and just pluck x-number of decks out of the case. I think that'd be fun and I'd bet you'd get rid of them pretty quick.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I would just sell them to anyone here on AC and sell them as mystery decks, Just sell them 1 for $x and eventually get rid of them all. I would be into buying some for sure.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I'd be willing to pay for some opened decks if you put up a list

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I will pay you 40 shillings for the suitcase you found them in.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Just do "Mystery 6-Packs" or whatever you think would work for you. Put 6-decks in a flat-rate envelope and ship them out. Nobody gets to pick - that would be a nightmare for you to work through. People send you $8.00 (or whatever you think is right) and $5.00 coves shipping in the U.S. They then get a belated Christmas present with some mystery decks.

Just do it with domestic shipping. The international shipping costs make it rough for our overseas collector friends, but you can't do anything about that. Whatever's left, do a one-shot package for an international buyer.

I like this idea.

I don't want to spend time doing an inventory of hundreds of single and double decks, but what I will do is give you guys a rough value of their costs (sealed, of course, since I have no idea what opened decks go for). I'll also chuck any decks used extensively, and keep any decks that were actually used. That still leaves me with a few hundred opened, mostly untouched cards.

I'll get a concrete shipping cost, and charge maybe $7-10 for six decks, and $15-18 for twelve. I don't know exactly how many amazing decks I have in there just yet (quite a few vintage decks) so I have no idea how much to charge yet. A lot of the decks I have opened, but no longer want in my collection, are worth well over $50 sealed.

If I do this, it will be domestic only. Customs forms are a nightmare, and international shipping for six decks is like $18. That'd be kind of silly for a purchase price of $8.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

My request stands, by the way, if any of you guys do charity work, or know someone that might need a hook up with cards, let me know and I'll send you decks, and charge only shipping.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
I think finding a (chronic) sick kid that's into cards/magic and donating them would rock. I know I have seen a couple deck reviews from exactly that. If I can figure out who it is I will send you am pm.

Kudos dude for the good heart.

Ps. I will even pay for you to ship them to her.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:46:27 PM by Boozer »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular
I've been doing charity work for around 5 years now, still, I don't get what does it has to do with being selected to get some free decks.

If you're doing it because you want to feel somehow helpful or benevolent, well, sell your decks the best way you can and donate it all to an organization of your choice. That would be more effective.

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

Awh man! You beat me with the idea by two minutes! Haha.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
well if you don't want to go through all of them, you could just make a short list of some of the rarer decks that you plan on getting rid of and see if you can sell them? idk whatever works for you

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:13:25 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Hey Alex,

Would you reconsider the international shipping? I know the customs forms are a nightmare but aceking ships up to 14 decks in a flat rate envelope for $18ish
$18 for 12 decks = $1.50 per deck
$18ish shipping for 12 decks = $1.50 per deck
Works out at $3ish per deck sounds like a bargain to me especially as most if not all the decks were never available here in the UK to start with, and considering I just spent over $20 shipping 4 luxury crown decks.
I'd rather this option than the D&D mystery deck option, thats for sure.
So go on Alex. Just for me?
Purrrrrleeeeese
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:14:57 AM by dee1orean »
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I think you should offer the international shipping (at least to Canada! I think it is a little cheaper to ship to canada) even offer just first class international and offer no refunds for lost or damaged items with it. I would buy a brick or two if I can.  :) 
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I still perform at a hospital, usually once a week, and I give away the decks that I perform with.  It takes about an hour to get there, but I go because they made a specific request for volunteer magicians, a request that Jason Brumbalow posted on the Ellusionist blog back when he still worked there.  The kids like having the souvenir of the visit, and they get to see for themselves that the cards aren't trick cards in any way - I wouldn't just give them away if they were, now would I?  It's also good because while some kids go all out with tablet and notebook computers, many of them are in the hospital with little more than the television or the occasional visitor from the hospital volunteer staff.  They'll loan you a book or sit and play a board game for a while, but when I give them a deck of cards, they get to keep that and take it home and it gives them something to do when the family comes in for visits.

Very often, the kids I approach are fine with their present situation, but every now and then I get someone that's frightened or in some amount of discomfort.  It's probably the most special thing that ever happens to me when I see that child transform, so when I leave the room, they aren't screaming and they're not quite so afraid anymore.  In the pediatric emergency room, the doctors are always steering me to the patients that are most in need - I get to be their opening act!  It's not always easy because the conditions aren't always ideal and I've seen my fair share of illnesses and injuries that might make some squeamish.  But the result is worth it.

I still have many decks from the last deck drive I organized here, but I also go through them at a pretty good pace, perhaps a brick a week now, sometimes more.  Most of them are Streamlines - unfortunately I ended up with the older, cheaply-made Chinese ones, but should I do another deck drive in the future, I'm just going straight to WalMart and buying up whatever Streamlines they have in stock (they get the new Kentucky-made ones and they're much better).  I also have many decks that were shipped to me from individuals - Alex donated some of his Vortex decks (the teens really like them), Mike from BMPokerWorld donated some mixed bricks of "scratch-n-dent" decks that collectors tend to not enjoy so much and recently Doris ordered some bricks of Bicycle Standards shipped straight to me from Amazon.  But the need is always there, and I keep filling it as much as I can.  Sometimes I even give a few bricks directly to the volunteer program for distribution on their library carts or the tote bags they take from room to room filled with board games and similar stuff - they're insanely popular.

Alex, you let me know how much of that briefcase you're willing to send to those kids via my hospital visits, I'll pay postage - and I'll gladly accept (through Alex) donations to help defray the shipping costs.  As long as the decks are "open but new" or still sealed, I'm glad to have them and I know the kids are twice as glad.  And if anyone else wants some for distribution in hospitals such as what I'm doing, please, speak up!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Don, for the opened but new decks you could use ellusionists deck seals. I have acquired a couple sheets of them if your interested I would be happy to send them your way. Also let us know when your doing the drive and I would be more than happy to send a mix brick for this cause.
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Sorry to any of you guys that want international stuff. It's too much of a hassle for cheap orders, and although nobody on this site does this, I have had scammers in the past.

If you want these, and are willing to pay the price for Express shipping (which comes with delivery confirmation) we can work something out when the time comes. Maybe you have a friend in the US buy them for you and ship them to you, too.

I'm already making some arrangements with some folks over donations, after I ship those I'll sell the remainder off to you guys.

Again thanks for all the advice. <3 yo asses
Forum Founder.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 01:02:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don, for the opened but new decks you could use ellusionists deck seals. I have acquired a couple sheets of them if your interested I would be happy to send them your way. Also let us know when your doing the drive and I would be more than happy to send a mix brick for this cause.

I appreciate the offer of the seals, but they won't be necessary.  I just want to be able to hand the kids decks that aren't covered in someone else's germs and grime!  They always get the decks from me opened because I open them in my act, and I sanitize between shows.  On a slow day, I'll do maybe six or eight shows, all personal and close-up, right at the kids' bedside or in the ER waiting area - some get treated there because it's equipped with a full set of nebulizers for respiratory problems, one of the largest-growing problems with children in New York next to obesity.  On a typical day, I'll do just over a dozen shows, and my busiest day I probably gave out nearly two dozen decks over the course of perhaps twenty shows.

There is one thing that I would take donations for: Alex agreed to send me decks cheap, just at the shipping charge.  If anyone wishes to contribute a few bucks to the shipping and send it to Alex with a note to that effect, it means I'll be able to afford to ship that many more decks for the kids to enjoy.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Alex, as you're still unkeen to ship internationally I say send them to Don as what he does would seem to be the most worthwhile use of the cards. I'll even send you $5 towards the shipping for them.

What's your Paypal email?
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Don, good to know. My dad is in medicine and use to do the same thing when his hands would let him so I know the drill. I also understand y'all don't know me yet....It's kinda like Internet dating, hah! The offer stand if you ever change your mind (They are still sealed and I can list and photograph them) ;)

Don and Alex, I would be happy to contribute to shipping cost with Dee1orean and others.

Ps. Check out my illustration website if you want more info on me, www.benkolozsi.com