Which Deck is the Best

Author (Read 1768 times)

Which Deck is the Best
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:05:24 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Which is the best overall?

Let's say you had only enough money to buy one deck, $5, which deck would you get? I am looking most inportantly for the best deck as far as handling and design goes. Thank You!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

Re: Which Deck is the Best
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:38 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Is it only out of those 3 decks?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I voted for the eco-edition and here's why:
- The aviators handle well but are very basic and the face design is lacking IMO.
- That acorn-backs are classics as well but the green ones were clumpy for me. The black ones are perhaps the best-handling deck I have ever had the opportunity to touch, and the back design is nice, but the faces, as well, are lacking.

The eco-editions handle extremely well, look very nice, although the faces could use a little more customization (there is just some recoloring), and the recyclable idea is great. The box looks nice as well except for the barcode and the fact that sometimes a bit of the box rips off when removing the plastic thing that covers the seal.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »

nimblewitted

That's a ridiculous question.

False. Black decks.

That's debatable. There are basically two schools of thought...

Fact: Decks eat beets. Decks. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:25:53 AM by nimblewitted »

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:33 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
if you can, get some black acorns. they are handle awesome

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 04:57:36 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Eco edition is nice but it is really normal .. i would buy the black acorn it cost around 3.5 and it is limited .. and also the font is nice and the back design look very nice too .. and the finish and stock is very good

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
I would choose the acorn backs.. Like how they handle IMO.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
there is also a pretty cheap and good deck .. streamline .. it cost only a dollar in your country i guess .. but in my country i do not think anyone is selling these cards ..

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Kpop maybe you should mention which Acorn Backs. There are a couple different ones that are pretty different in terms of looks and handling. It's kinda like comparing Apples, Oranges, and then Oranges, mandarins, tangerines etc. as though they were all the same fruit.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I voted for the Bee Acorn Backs but only if its the black ones. They handle excellently and last a very long time!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Oh, sorry! - I forgot to put the colors. I've done that now and also reset all the votes to zero that way people can vote now that I have selected which colors to get. Thanks everyone on the feedback!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Since it's the green acorn backs you are talking about, I voted for the Eco Edition. BTW that "I don't feel like voting but just wanted to see the results" button is pretty much useless since there is a button that says "show results" that you can click on even if you didn't vote (depending on the poll's settings).

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Oh Really? Oh Well. that button could just be for those who are undecided then ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Oh Really? Oh Well. that button could just be for those who are undecided then ;)
Yup! It's ok though. The thing is that when you make a poll you have options: Make it visible to everyone, make it visible after people have voted, or make it visible just to yourself. Depending on which option you choose this button is visible.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »

frostchew

I think you wouldn't go wrong with any of the erdnase smith or acorn backs that CARC has put out. They have a thick durable stock and handle really well. I think the black acorns are well received because its the first deck from the series to have the magic finish.

However, I have the v2 green acorns and they handle as excellently as the black ones do. Does anyone share the same sentiments?

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
However, I have the v2 green acorns and they handle as excellently as the black ones do. Does anyone share the same sentiments?
I don't. To me they don't look as nice, and they clump, just like my smith backs.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
First of all, Nathan - how are the Aviator faces "lacking" when they're the EXACT, SAME STANDARD USPC faces on the standard-issue Bicycles, Tally Hos and Bees?  I'm curious to know...

All that Aviators are is Bicycles in a smooth finish and a more boring back.  They're equal in quality to Bikes.  Having said that, they're not easy to obtain.  Outside of some magic shops, Aviators are primarily sold only in airports these days.  Streamlines are indeed comparable in quality, use Arrco faces, and can be had at most US Wal-Marts for a buck a pack.  A better bargain than that is hard to find.

Second, the Eco edition deck is a good one, but the natural, recyclable finish and glue used I'm told will NOT hold up as long as USPC's two main finishes.  I've read many comments about how the deck will start going clumpy sooner than a pack of normal Bikes would.  It's the cost of being green...

Third, the CARC Erdnase Bees would give you the best durability of all three choices and have an attractive old-style face design meant to mimic decks of the 1920's, with the addition of prominent modern magicians on the faces of the Kings.  In my mind, if you wanted a deck that would hold up and look unique without looking goofy-colored, that would be the deck to go with.

And lastly, the black and silver Acorn backs do indeed handle differently, for a good reason.  Because of the metallic inks used on the backs, this was the first CARC deck (along with the silver and black variant) that used Magic Finish.  And since it came in both textured (Cambric) and smooth (Ivory) versions, it's the first smooth deck ever made to use Magic Finish as well.  All other CARC decks use "standard" finish.  The silver and black version only came in Cambric (which in this case is textured paper with Magic Finish).

'Nuff said?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Yup. I'll still go with the Eco-edition. And what I meant by lacking for the Aviators is that it's the only deck that doesn't have custom faces and it has the most boring back out of the three IMO.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
at 1st when i was going to vote.. it is quite difficult since i thought the acorn back you were referring to was the black acorn back since it is not sold out yet .. but now you are looking for the green acorn back .. i change my mind and voted for the eco edition .. i think that look much better .. and are you also sure with $5 you could purchase a green acorn back?

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
at 1st when i was going to vote.. it is quite difficult since i thought the acorn back you were referring to was the black acorn back since it is not sold out yet .. but now you are looking for the green acorn back .. i change my mind and voted for the eco edition .. i think that look much better .. and are you also sure with $5 you could purchase a green acorn back?
According to ebay you can find one for 5.95, and I believe I got mine for 3-4$ on these forums.