You are Here:
NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter completed!

Author (Read 39131 times)

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter starts tomorrow!
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Fair play, I wish you the best of luck :)

Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Hey Cosmo..

Let me start by saying something that I forgot in my last posts...

I REALLY like this deck.  And, from the time I saw your poster prototype, I was determined to buy the uncut.
That's why I was upset that if I wanted a deck and a uncut, it was going to cost me quite a bit.

That being said...  We could go back and forth all day with the price issue.
So, let's just agree to disagree.

Like I said, I'm a huge fan of the deck... an even bigger fan of the uncut.
So much so, that I posted it on my FB http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

I have around 250 different Bicycle decks, I'm sure one of yours will eventually end up in the collection.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

CBJ  aka  Jay
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:42 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Hey Cosmo..

Let me start by saying something that I forgot in my last posts...

I REALLY like this deck.  And, from the time I saw your poster prototype, I was determined to buy the uncut.
That's why I was upset that if I wanted a deck and a uncut, it was going to cost me quite a bit.

That being said...  We could go back and forth all day with the price issue.
So, let's just agree to disagree.

Like I said, I'm a huge fan of the deck... an even bigger fan of the uncut.
So much so, that I posted it on my FB http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

I have around 250 different Bicycle decks, I'm sure one of yours will eventually end up in the collection.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

CBJ  aka  Jay

Yeah I was the same! I was dying to get an uncut but sadly the price is just too steep.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
these are nice

is this philly D!?!?! lol i kid

it seems like a lot of people are really liking this deck, but to me it just seems like yet another re-coloration of the rider backs.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I recall reading somewhere that the Multicolor Deck by Fragment Design was the most expensive deck produced at the time, and the amount of color that went into it is only a fraction of what's on this deck.  It's easy to play with colors when you're talking about a desktop printer, but when you're talking about using plates and a printing press for mass production with some degree of quality, I can see where it would get costly, fast.

They're probably even "in-between" colors needed, like on some high-end photo printers that use five or six different colors and not simply three.  Each of those requires another plate and adds another level of complexity to the project.

Frankly, at the $9 a pack I'm getting my two decks for, I see this as a bargain.  But then again, I don't require international shipping.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
 ??? Funded in less than 24 hours!
Congrats man. Hopefully I can buy 2 of them. Its just tough with all the decks coming out.

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:41 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
??? Funded in less than 24 hours!
Congrats man. Hopefully I can buy 2 of them. Its just tough with all the decks coming out.

Awesome news!! Congrats! Can't wait to see this deck in person
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
If you look at this as a magic deck, what Cosmo says he intitally made it for, $10 a deck is pretty cheap for a color changing deck like this, much cheaper then most.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you look at this as a magic deck, what Cosmo says he intitally made it for, $10 a deck is pretty cheap for a color changing deck like this, much cheaper then most.

That's a very valid point.  This isn't like a regular deck of cards, or even a regular custom deck of cards.  The primary use for these is magic, and perhaps cardistry.  You'd never bring them to a poker table.  I've paid as much as $80 for a gaffed/rigged deck, so yes, it's reasonably priced.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:08 AM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Boom Baby!

4 hrs 12 minutes.... FUNDED!

Unbelievable thanks all!

Coz

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »

rainking187

• True Member
I'm sure it's too late to do anything about it now, but I'm kind of surprised you didn't limit the rewards. What happens if you end up getting backers for more than the 2500 initial print?

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
damn i want an uncut but i dont want 4 decks with the uncut sheet :( i just want two decks

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
$10 for a deck with only two custom cards? Pass. I'd spend $5, at the most.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:40:08 AM by Russell CircleCityCards »
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I appreciated that you took the leap to mostly fund it yourself, and pledged for a couple. One will make a fun collector item but the other will be for my daughter who has bugged me and bugged me for a 'rainbow deck' of cards. Now I don't have to sit there in photoshop for hours and print all that out. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hours?  C'mon, it's just hue slider and saving at regular intervals.  An hour, maybe.

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
Cosmo,
since you designed the Spectrum deck as a magic related item,wouldn't it be better to have two identical Jokers?
I mean the Jokers are natural duplicates and the magic community would appreciate that.
Just my opinion as a magician.
;-)

PS: i really like your Joker design,very nice Jesters!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:55:28 AM by cosmicsecret »
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Cosmo,
since you designed the Spectrum deck as a magic related item,wouldn't it be better to have two identical Jokers?
I mean the Jokers are natural duplicates and the magic community would appreciate that.
Just my opinion as a magician.
;-)

PS: i really like your Joker design,very nice Jesters!

I went round and round about the gaffs, there is no perfect solution.  my thoughts on duplicate jokers is that people know that there are 2 jokers in the deck, people don't always realize that 1 is the guarantee joker, a double backer is a more natural solution for a deck like this. but then with 52 different colors what color do you make a double backer? 

like I said round and round.  I finally took the deck and just started playing to see what might come out it of it, I came up with a really cool routine which would use a gaff that would be unique and kinda cool. 

using a joker as a duplicate has never appealed to me.

I'm sure someone will come up with a better idea for the gaff and I`ll wish I had thought of it but for now I hope I am appealing to the magic community.

Thanks for the idea, since I still have the opportunity to make changes i'm always open!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:55:29 AM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Hey Cosmo,

I have the kickstarter page bookmarked to automatically look up "playing cards"

Your deck does not show up when you search for that.  only if you type in "bicycle"

Not sure how the search engine works on Kickstarter.. but it seems like this might hinder your fundraiser a bit

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
hey good timing I noticed that last night, 4 a while it wouldn't even find it if I put in the word spectrum  and I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to address that , it could be that I don't have the word playing cards in there like I should I'm not sure how the search engine works there either but I'll look into it immediately  I canT say how much I appreciate that. many of my posts and responses are by phone so I apologize for grammatical errors and not being able to cut and paste quotes !
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:17:55 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
yeah I can't figure it out the word playing cards is all over the place I added it to the title but that didn't seem to help

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
What will happen with the extra money?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:49:41 PM by MagicAddictz »

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
I'll be posting the faq's this afternoon that will answer all these types of questions. including the question about limiting that was mentioned earlier.

Coz

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
It's amazing to me all the haters that come out to downgrade someone's hard work... Especially people that design / produce their own decks... He's not trying to reinvent the wheel like some of you out there... Congratulate the guy... If you like the deck buy one... If you don't like it, then don't buy it... But don't criticize this particular deck... What's there to criticize... It's a Bicycle Brand Rider Back 808 made up of the colors of the rainbow... Really, are you hating on rainbows???  Don't hate on rainbows... hahaha...

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Everyone loves RAINBOWS!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:17:47 PM by CBJ »

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
LOL! Thanks JM, my sentiments exactly... Surprising to hear from someone who I admired... oh well!

So I relish comments negative, positive, good, bad, indifferent as it is an opportunity to open up discussion, get a different perspective. and in these cases discussion is a chance to educate others about the product.

So here's why I'm glad the subject was brought up... 
It wasn't just an idea to have a rainbow Bicycle deck that would match the deck of cards the ENTIRE WORLD was familiar with, it was a dream!  The lack of original artwork was actually ON PURPOSE!

52 different cards with original faces would have ruined my whole intention.  So for ANYONE reading, I won't say, "sorry..." but instead, "rest assured!" that this deck does NOT have a bunch of new artwork! It will look exactly like a Bicycle deck until YOU are ready to show off the rainbow!"  The one thing that some might think makes this a 4 dollar deck, is EXACTLY the reason I truly believe it's far more valuable than that.

I'm so fortunate to now become a part of the History of Bicycle decks!

Okay so today's my wife's birthday and since she let me put up every penny I have to get this going, I think she deserves my attention!  I'm signing out for most of the day and will get back to the FAQ's asap!

Oh, let me answer this one real quick:

What will happen with the extra money?

I know that's a common "Kickstarter" question, but in the case of a finite product (as apposed to say someone is trying to fund the cost of publishing a book) there really isn't "extra money" everyone who pledges, gets a deck (or decks).   That's it. 

Now that brings up:  what about if (and it looks very likely) we go PAST the 2500 decks?  I factored that in and I do have a plan. 

The logic behind limiting the pledges is too long to go into here, and became a logistical nightmare, but I'll just say in the kickstarter arena it caused more problems than it solved.

I researched and studied every card project on Kickstarter I could for almost 2 weeks, made spreadsheets took notes etc. 

there are pro's and cons of it all.

Either way I Guarantee that this run will ONLY be 2500 decks, as I have already discussed how to handle the issue should I sell out.

Honestly I wasn't sure HOW they would be received, in a world where "new" artwork decks come out every other day.  ;-)
I anticipated the problem but didn't think it was very likely.  so yes there's a plan and if you bought based on the limited run, please don't worry, I'm sticking to that and have a plan.

My marketing plan on all of this is carefully put together and constantly being carefully thought out, (doin' my best here) in fact I am working closely with a marketing consultant, who, (for those of you who think I'm over pricing) I've already paid enough to pay for a new set of wheels!  (that's an inside joke between me and him, he actually just bought new transportation in part due to my business!)

I couldn't be happier at this point.  If you want new artwork there are some great ones out there, and some not so great, but the choices are almost insane! If you want a cool, unique bicycle deck which now will forever be listed as one of the official bicycle decks in history and also has some great uses (magic-wise) I got one for sale on kickstarter! Woo hoo!

I'll make this promise, I won't go talking smack about ANYONE'S effort or deck designs, even though I think some of the designs are hideous and some are awesome! 

Don't hate rainbows! Rainbows are good.

Peace!

Coz