You are Here:
COMING SOON!! The Wizard of Oz Playing Cards from Albino Dragon

Author (Read 6126 times)

COMING SOON!! The Wizard of Oz Playing Cards from Albino Dragon
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Yup, that's right, another childhood favourite being turned into a deck of playing cards :)

This is only the tuck, but I'm already loving this. Very nostalgic.

I'm assuming this will be a Kickstarter project, as has been all of his projects. I'm just hoping this one is being offered outside the US.

Image is taken from his the Albino Dragon FB page. Keep an eye out for more images.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: COMING SOON!! The Wizard of Oz Playing Cards from Albino Dragon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
This could be great, depending on the artist. I hope its not a comic interpretation of the characters, like the Goonies and Ghostbusters. That would suck. If he got the rights to imagery from the movie and did it in a 'Jacksonian' style it could be very cool.

But I bet not.

/bama

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
This could be great, depending on the artist. I hope its not a comic interpretation of the characters, like the Goonies and Ghostbusters. That would suck. If he got the rights to imagery from the movie and did it in a 'Jacksonian' style it could be very cool.

But I bet not.

/bama

I have to agree, this has a huge "Nastalgia" factor. Hopefuly the art is a break away from what AD has used in past IP. Not that its bad, I just think this type of project deserves a little more.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

But I bet not.

/bama

I have to agree, this has a huge "Nastalgia" factor. Hopefuly the art is a break away from what AD has used in past IP. Not that its bad, I just think this type of project deserves a little more.

Yes, yes, yes.  The cartoonish look worked for Goonies and maybe for Ghostbusters (although I passed because of it).  This is a classic movie and deserves a classic look, but it already appears to be cartoonified.  I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

But I bet not.

/bama

I agree entirely. This could be huge. It'll be big with the same art too, but huge with better. I hope AD flexes their muscle with this one and make it the special deck it should be.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

shadowkat

• True Member
If it is done in the correct style, I hope the price point isn't  $15.00 per deck.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
...I hope the price point isn't  $15.00 per deck.

Pretty sure it will be.  While the book would be in public domain the movie isn't.  Which is just ridiculous (don't get me started about process/software patents and copyrights, especially disney)...Anyhow, in this case I think I would rather pay a little more for proper licensing and familiarity of images to the movie than a new interpretation that looks different or is so close to movie version I worry about a cease and desist after the project closes.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Nurul: I can almost guarantee that his license from the movie studio will not cover international distribution.  They rarely do, and when they do they cost that much more.

Bamabenz, I'm forced to agree with you.  But the problem is partially one of their own making.  Albino Dragon held an open contest to find the artist rather than using an established one.  They're taking on all these IP licenses but they lack enough artists to see it through, it would appear.  The "cartoony" approach isn't one I would have taken on any of the decks they've made as licensed properties - I cringed a little when I saw it appear on one of the "Princess Bride" decks.

If you're making a deck about an animated movie, fine - but when you're making a deck about a live-action production, it's a totally different ball game.  The representations of the characters need to more closely resemble what the actors put on the big screen (or little screen in the case of TV shows) in order for fans to connect with them.  They need not be painterly or nearly as accurate as a photograph, but making them look like super-deformed cartoon characters doesn't work well.  The fans know the characters don't look like that.

Having said all that, I don't think they're taking a cartoony approach to this deck, at least not based on what little I'm seeing of the tuck box.

Shadowkat: they will charge what the market will bear.  People sat by and watched the $15 mark become a benchmark of sorts without much protest, so here it is.  Additionally, any deck based on a licensed property will cost more because the movie studio is getting a cut of that action.

ecNate: absolutely there's no way this deck would be made without obtaining a license first.  If there's one thing that Albino Dragon hasn't done yet, it's making a deck based on someone else's IP without prior consent.  Considering all the licensed properties they're planning to work with in the future, to screw up any one of them would be the same as all of them getting blown to Hell in a handbasket.  If a company demonstrates a lack of compliance with copyright law, any future licenses they try to obtain (and current ones they try to retain) will be seen through jaundiced eyes.  I can almost guarantee that the studios put in contract clauses allowing them to yank their licenses under such circumstances.

And I agree with you that current US copyright law has been stretched and abused beyond its original intent through corporate greed and avarice.  Intellectual property was never intended to be kept ad infinitum by the rights holders by continuously extending the term limit.  It was meant for protecting the ability of the rights holder to receive some financial gain from the work, but for it in the end to become a part of the public domain and accessible to all in a period of time where it's still relevant to contemporary society.

Originally, a work could be copyrighted for 14 years and the owner could apply for another 14 years before a certain deadline - no work remained out of the public domain for longer than about one-and-a-half generations.  Today, the law in most cases extends copyright to 70 years after the death of the work's author.  Assume that a given author wrote a book at age 30 and lived to age 70 - his work wouldn't reach the public domain until 110 years after it was created.

As when the law was initially established, a work that's a generation and a half old is still something that's accessible and relevant to contemporary culture, but when you're talking about a work that's FIVE-AND-A-HALF GENERATIONS old, it's a wholly different ballgame.  Extremely few people alive today would have been alive when the work was initially created, making it nearly completely irrelevant to contemporary culture.  It's like children of today casting aside their smartphones and Internet-connected computers, instead becoming engrossed with the novel "Little Lord Fauntleroy" and the manufacture of horse-drawn carriages and buggy whips.  It has, in fact, been many years since any written works have entered the public domain, unless intentionally placed there by the rights holder - assuming no further extensions, copyrights will again start expiring in 2019.

But I digress.  It's what I'm good at.  :))

AD has their work cut out for them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I assume firebox will pick this up. Although, I'm a bit skeptical about it.
I emailed firebox.com regarding The Goonies and Ghostbusters decks, they werent really sure what I was on about  ::)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Not too sure of this a tweaked design or a second deck

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Looks like it means they very likely have been worked out some way to make this happen for them, and it's going to be in the typical AD style. Which isn't one I'm very fond of to be honest, backed the ghost buster deck for a gift. That's just me though and maybe they'll blow me away too. Who knows? Either way, good for AD! This is going to be a cash cow for them regardless of my like or dislike and I do love seeing people succeed.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Looks like it means they very likely have been worked out some way to make this happen for them, and it's going to be in the typical AD style. Which isn't one I'm very fond of to be honest, backed the ghost buster deck for a gift. That's just me though and maybe they'll blow me away too. Who knows? Either way, good for AD! This is going to be a cash cow for them regardless of my like or dislike and I do love seeing people succeed.

It's hard to pin down AD to a specific style anymore.  They had one for their Shane Tyree decks, but it's been a bit uneven since because they're grabbing talent where they can find it.

From what little I'm seeing so far, it looks like they're going to do this better than how they did the Ghostbusters deck.  Can't say for certain yet because we're only seeing a box.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
The cowardly lion

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I emailed firebox.com regarding The Goonies and Ghostbusters decks, they werent really sure what I was on about  ::)

I'm pretty sure if we just not be too flashy about what we have, it should be ok. I've seen people selling or pre-selling the Goonies or Ghostbuster deck over here already. I think it was Magic Castle Singapore. Didn't really pay much attention because i wasn't planning on getting them, but i'm just saying it is possible.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure if we just not be too flashy about what we have, it should be ok.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this sentence.
I mentioned firebox, because Erik said that they'll pick it up. But when I emailed firebox, they knew nothing of it.

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I'm pretty sure if we just not be too flashy about what we have, it should be ok.

I mentioned firebox, because Erik said that they'll pick it up. But when I emailed firebox, they knew nothing of it.

Sorry...its 3am when i posted this.. :( I do not have much idea, but i think what i was trying to say was, despite all the constraints AD mentioned, there definitely will be other international resellers carrying these decks.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sorry...its 3am when i posted this.. :( I do not have much idea, but i think what i was trying to say was, despite all the constraints AD mentioned, there definitely will be other international resellers carrying these decks.

Retailers are one thing, resellers are another.  USPC can control who they sell their decks to, but they can't control who gets those decks and resells them.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Erik - Nice transition.  The copyright. Are they really making you put it there?  On the sides? Really? Hide that.  Put "Cowardly Lion" on the top of the card in a nice frame.  Make it as high as you can go. Where are USPCC's borders? YOu can even make the Lion bigger and take up part of the frame like you did with the tail in the TW logo. Slide "™ & Warner Brothers Inc" straight up along his paw. That says it all.  In future cards, put the logo wherever it's convenient.

What I find interesting is the ($14).  Are they making you put that onto  every card; I hoping only on every court card?  This is new. 

The Loin with the wood background is a mystery to me?   Anyone?

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
What I find interesting is the ($14).  Are they making you put that onto  every card; I hoping only on every court card?  This is new. 

It looks more like S14 rather than $14 to me. Though i still don't know what it probably means, but S14 would probably make more sense.

EDIT: OK..so i just checked. It should be Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (s14)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:06:14 AM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 02:31:23 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

It looks more like S14 rather than $14 to me. Though i still don't know what it probably means, but S14 would probably make more sense.

EDIT: OK..so i just checked. It should be Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (s14)

I googled Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (s14)
It's (s14) -just don't know what it is.
This is what one of the sites I pulled up had on it.

Adventure Time

TM & © Cartoon Network.
 (s14)

Baby Looney Tunes

TM & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
 (s14)

Beetlejuice

BEETLEJUICE and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
 (s14)

Collegiate Products

The indicia depicted on this product are trademarks of the respective college or university.

Chucky

The Chucky Franchise is a trademark and copyright of Universal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC.
 All Rights Reserved.
 A NOTE TO PARENTS: Please consult www.filmratings.com for information regarding movie ratings in making viewing choices
 for children.

Curious George

Curious George and related characters, created by Margret and H. A. Rey, are copyrighted and registered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company and used under license. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC. All rights reserved.

DC Comics

TM & © DC Comics.
 (s14)

Despicable Me, Minion Made

Despicable Me, Minion Made and all related marks and characters are trademarks and copyrights of Universal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC. All Rights Reserved.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a trademark and copyright of Universal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC.
 All rights reserved.

Family Guy

FAMILY GUY TM & © 2014 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

The Flinstones

THE FLINTSTONES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna-Barbera.
 (s14)

Friday the 13th

FRIDAY THE 13TH and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © New Line Productions, Inc.
 (s14)

Frosty the Snowman

TM & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. & Classic Media, LLC. Based on the musical composition FROSTY THE SNOWMAN © Warner/Chappell. WB SHIELD: TM & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
 (s14)
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

I wouldn't worry about it as it's likely just an internal code for the licensing agreement with WB.  Probably the WB office that owns the copyright or granted the license.  That will suck if the legal wording as to be so large and where it is.  I suppose each card is it's own entry so doing it on just the tuck won't do.  Although the Goonies deck I have just has it on the tuck and they have it on the images on the KS page, although it's on the bottom.  Hopefully just a requirement for online published images and not the final deck.

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
So it's (S14).  Thanks for looking it up.  My bad.  I still think this needs to be hid somewhere; To much of a distraction on the front of card.  Can at least some of it just be on the AoS or box?

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So it's (S14).  Thanks for looking it up.  My bad.  I still think this needs to be hid somewhere; To much of a distraction on the front of card.  Can at least some of it just be on the AoS or box?

I don't know - have you read the licensing agreement between Albino Dragon and Warner Brothers Entertainment (s14)?  Because it's whatever they've agreed to between themselves that determines what goes on the cards.

The "s14" part could simply be a reference to the company section that handles licensing for consumer products.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:57:06 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Tin man :)

Just want to point out that this was titled specifically for the "unlimited" version (as is the cowardly lion pic I posted earlier) don't know how different they'll be from the "limited" version.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Erik - I'm starting to get a feel for the theme.  The wooden background is nice, but I didn't know everyone was stuck in a house with wooden floors.  From what I remember, OZ was a most colorful place.  Where is the yellow brick road? 

I've seen artists partially cover the suit indicator.  It's normal.  It's a pretty big element to fit in the card, but they usually leave enough to help identify the suit of the court.  The Cowardly Loin's paw covers almost all of it.  Seems like the simple fix is to switch the uplifted paw.  In doing so, the suit indicator can be exposed and help determine what the suit is at a distance and is especially useful with non-tradictional courts. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:10:52 AM by sprouts1115 »