Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really like the faces on this one, I like what they did to update the normal bordered courts. The back leaves me a little "meh" with just the X's on them. We've seen that style a lot already. I'd almost like it better with just the pattern and nothing else. Still, I think the faces are enough for me to grab 1 or 2.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Bicycle Double Black (KS)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »

maggock

• parrotsparrotsparrots
Back is kinda blah but I like the court cards enough to pledge.  And funny, what they did with the red courts is exactly what I'm thinking about doing with my owl deck.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I'm confused. Like, REALLY confused.

The courts are great. It's obvious they have artistic talent, so why did they choose such a boring, uninspired back?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I don't mind this back at all.  It's simple.  Remember, the deck is from Gambler's Warehouse - they make things that appeal to poker players more so than magicians.  This back is PERFECT for poker, other than it only comes in a single color.

I like this deck.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:01:30 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I don't mind this back at all.  It's simple.  Remember, the deck is from Gambler's Warehouse - they make things that appeal to poker players more so than magicians.  This back is PERFECT for poker, other than it only comes in a single color.

I like this deck.

I don't get the back.

As Encarded said, it would probably be better with just the pattern. The "XX" looks out of place to me.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I don't get the back.

As Encarded said, it would probably be better with just the pattern. The "XX" looks out of place to me.

See, now I don't have a problem with the double-X designs.  I dunno - maybe it reminds me of alcohol labeling, such as Dos Equis (translated from Spanish: Two Xs).  It keeps the back from being completely visually dull but does so without having to use some ornate pattern.  Perhaps it's just my preference or something, I don't know.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
finally! This is the deck I wanted when eXecutive came out. Glad I waited.
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So it looks like the Gamblers bought out BMPokerworld and that is why you see your paypal payments go to sales@bmpokerworld when you pre-buy the legacy decks.

Volantangel also posted on UC that the courts for this deck were purchased from a designer . Look at these beautifuls courts cards. Wish they were not in black

credits: http://playingcardcollector.net/2013/09/07/playing-cards-by-john-powell/

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like those so much better than the black ones.

So Mike F has left the biz?

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:25:04 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I appreciate Black decks as much as anyone, but you can't deny how much more detail appears on a white card. I'm kind of up in the air on this one, not that I don't like them, as mentioned the courts are just fantastic.

Too many cards, too little money, Watching for now...

Intersting news on BMPW

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Looks like the cards are from the creators of the Quicksilver deck, Circle City. Glad to see the designs were bought out instead of being kept in limbo. Hopefully the color designs see the light of day.

http://tuckcase.com/2013/09/11/news-circle-city-card-company-uncertainty-court-cards-revealed-upcoming-deck/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:38:23 PM by S. Carey »

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
The creator of the Quicksilver decks is Russel Kerchival and he was using his company Circle city to distribute and sell them. The designer of the court cards has nothing to do with Quicksilver but was trying to create a deck and sell it through Circle City

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 12:46:26 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I like the design overall, But black, with light black. Looks OK now, but don't believe will print well. Just blend together to a point that you can't tell what the card is.
Don, you've covered this topic many times. Do you think this would benefit from lighter(color) line work?

Don't know if anybody noticed, but they are offering Legacy decks as add-ons.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 05:26:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It can be done in a case like this, as long as the shade of gray being used is light enough.  If it isn't, it will look like mud due to lack of contrast.

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
Really liking the courts on this one.  As I collect knives, as well, it has additional appeal. 

Especially like the minimal use of red with the black, as I'm a great big fan of the original black tigers, and almost half my collection is of black decks.

Although, it would be nice to see a colorized version, as shown above, maybe for an extended goal.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:20:26 PM by D. Dorn »

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
Okay, after pledging for 2 (unbranded/branded) I read the comments, and they hint heavily at an additional project with COLOR!  So, looks like it will be available eventually as originally intended.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Did anybody realise that there is something wrong with the pledges for international backers?

As in it states add $X amount in the description but when you back, you have to add the actual amount stated below the description.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Available later tonight:  Bicycle Double Black Limited edition decks!
Only 500 of each deck ( Version 1 and version 2), and they will be individually numbered!

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »

vmagic

Yeah I see no reason for this, branded and unbranded is enough, seems like a cash grab to me.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Which is unfortunate because I pledged to receive a mixed half brick of the branded and unbranded. It's unrealistic to expect me to cough up $28 for limited edition tuck boxes and seals.

I'm not sure about my pledge now. If they actually changed the deck (i.e. offered a full color deck) it
would be one thing because I can justify adding something like that to my collection.

Essentially what this is is charging an extra $14 for a new tuck box and a numbered seal and devalues the decks that I signed on for early on in the process because I saw an opportunity to add a cool deck to my collection and maybe trade a few of my extras for some of the projects I may have missed out on.

I wonder if I can change one of each of the other two decks in for the LE ones.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:16:48 PM by BeDoubleYou »

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »

vmagic

He claims people were messaging about changing the box design. Well I doubt there were 200 people messaging for a change and if there was, then they should just change the original box, not create 2 additional ones.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Or give the new tuck decks to those who pledged for more than one deck. I paid for six decks of cards, and now because there is a Limited Edition (exclusive) and a Regular Edition (not as exclusive) there is seemingly little point of me buying a half brick. Why would I do that? So that I could throw down an extra $30 for two decks that I didn't ask for that are going to be the only ones that are prized by collectors?

This is ridiculous. I understand that they are giving away poker chips with every deck and that they designed custom brick boxes and those things are supposed to add value to buying a larger volume of decks. However,  once I bought the higher volume of decks I was slapped in the face for it by not having the resources to pay twice as much as a regular deck for a limited edition box.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:21:53 AM by BeDoubleYou »

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Or give the new tuck decks to those who pledged for more than one deck. I paid for six decks of cards, and now because there is a Limited Edition (exclusive) and a Regular Edition (not as exclusive) there is seemingly little point of me buying a half brick. Why would I do that? So that I could throw down an extra $30 for two decks that I didn't ask for that are going to be the only ones that are prized by collectors?

This is ridiculous. I understand that they are giving away poker chips with every deck and that they designed custom brick boxes and those things are supposed to add value to buying a larger volume of decks. However,  once I bought the higher volume of decks I was slapped in the face for it by not having the resources to pay twice as much as a regular deck for a limited edition box.

BeDoubleYou - and everyone...

Please keep in mind that these are sales tactics, plain and simple.  So what if one deck is more sought-after (or might be more sought after once it's finally printed and in people's hands)?  So what if they want to make a limited edition, even if the difference is only in the packaging?

Buy what you like, and vote with your dollars, period.  I've seen cases where limited editions become worth less than the unlimited ones, and I've seen cases where the better version of a product ISN'T the ones collectors are paying a premium for!  Don't ever buy anything simply because someone makes it, and don't feel obligated to buy every single little variant, especially if the difference is strictly external.  I mean, if that's what you want, fine, more power to you, buy all you want.  But if you find this kind of thing frustrating, make your dissatisfaction known, comment to the creator, don't pledge for the extra-special-platinum-edition with the cherry on top.  If you feel that way and you do buy it, who's in control, you or your hobby?  And never, ever buy a pack of cards on the assumption that it's going to become more valuable some day!  "Investing" in playing cards is right up there with investing in comic books, sports memorabilia and Bernie Madoff!  Buy because it makes you happy, not because of some perception that you MUST have it and that it WILL be RARE and VALAUBLE and will put your kids through college and will let you retire early!  You might as well expect it to treat acne and dandruff while you're at it!

Forgive the rant, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Thanks, Don. Was in a pretty bad mood last night,  but I woke up this morning not really caring. I reminded myself that I supported the project because I liked the design not because I want to profit. Seems more like the kind of deck I could present at poker night and get a few compliments.

I guess I just got mad about it without realizing that I dont have to be upset because it isn't something that warrants being upset and then I began to think about what I would be thinking if I were the one running the KS.

You're right,  I still think its a money grab, but I'm over being upset. Thanks for showing me the light.

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
The decks have arrived at Gambler's, and I would imagine KS pledges will soon be shipped out

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
I like these a lot. I agree with Don - the backs are perfect for a low lit, smoky, booze flowin' night at the poker table.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:19:07 AM by publius »
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like these a lot. I agree with Don - the backs are perfect for a low lit, smoky, booze flowin' night at the poker table.

...but the faces look a bit too dark to me!

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Well, you have a point...
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Mine are winging their way to me as of early this morning. :) I love the look of this deck. Dark and darker, wasn't a big fan of the white added, but I've warmed up to it now. Really looking forward to having them in my mitts, wouldn't be unheard of if they make it tomorrow. If so, I'll try to get some photos this weekend lol.

I'm so far behind on photos probably be one big group shot of single decks hahaha. I promise I'll get at least one up though.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)