You are Here:
Playing Card Collection Displays (?)

Author (Read 17047 times)

Playing Card Collection Displays (?)
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
So I've been rooting around the forums wondering how you folk display your collections and it seems like people tend to just stack them or use those acrylic display cases. I'd appreciate your opinion on the following.

-Do you keep a rotating display, a fixed display, or no display at all?
-What do y'all do about playing cards that don't come in standard cases or come in boxes that you'd like displayed
-Do you keep them in the cellophane or do you open them?
-Do you display the back in any way (through a mirror or just displaying the back facing forward)?
-Do you mix your playing cards with other paraphernalia such as dice?
-Do you just hang them on a wall or do you have a case for them?

Post pictures? I'd love to see everyone's collections.

Re: Playing Card Collection Displays (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
1. I just store my decks in a shelf and stack them atop each other.
2. I don't have any deck that don't come in standard boxes, nor are there any that I'd like to display.
3. I open my decks.
4. I do not display the back.
5. I collect decks the majority of the time, and other cool playing card-related items occasionally.
6. Relate back to number 1.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've been keeping my decks stacked on the shelves of a small shelving unit.  The problem is that the shelves are narrow and the spacing between is high.  Removing a deck from near the bottom of a pile in the back can be a dicey proposition without reshuffling around the piles in front of them - another task that requires caution.

And that's just my open decks!  I keep the sealed ones in giant baseball card collector boxes.  A box designed to hold about five thousand baseball cards will hold about one-hundred-twenty-five typical packs of cards.  But the organization is lacking and accessing the cards difficult.

I'm looking to upgrade my storage - there are some plastic twelve-drawer office storage units that stand roughly a yard high and are stackable.  I'd like a few of those to put the collection in, for better organization.  I might display some of my more rare/vintage decks on a shelf but it would be ten times simpler to access the cards quickly and easily if I used drawers for storage.  One drawer holds a good number of decks in it.  The units are a bit under a hundred bucks each from a big-box office supply store.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:43:36 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Here is a little older picture of how I display my collection. I try to keep duplicate decks to a minimum but do have a few that I use and play around with on a daily basis. The frames are bought from a craft store in my area called "Michael's" and I have added miniature shelving to them so it works for playing cards. The acrylic piece is just a brochure holder that I managed to snag off of someone. Personally I really like how the frames look and I do plan to make more this summer.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:04:04 AM »

Edward

• True Member
I bought my Shadow box cases from Micheals also,, They have deals for Buy one get one free !!! :D  I buy the box that holds 33 decks   4 of them so far ,, All seald,,   It is a good deal when you catch it !!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I keep most of my decks stored away in a dresser- it protects them from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. I have complete bricks on the bottom drawers, and decks I have multiples of organized together in the top drawers. I have some of my rarer decks and displays on the top of the dresser, and also have an entire desk covered in decks, although these are less organized and usually most of the decks on my desk are open- only sealed decks go in the dresser.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I keep most of my decks stored away in a dresser- it protects them from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. I have complete bricks on the bottom drawers, and decks I have multiples of organized together in the top drawers. I have some of my rarer decks and displays on the top of the dresser, and also have an entire desk covered in decks, although these are less organized and usually most of the decks on my desk are open- only sealed decks go in the dresser.

I tried using a dresser for a while - until a gross of cards broke through the bottom of the drawer!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I use to use a shoebox when I first started collecting lol I then bought a 4 tier plastic storage unit .. As well as cards, I store all my magic tricks, DVDs in there too, coins, dice, wristbands, sponge balls, rubber bands, thumb tips etc
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I buy sets of used brick boxes on ebay. I place the decks sideways (like books in a shelf) so i can easily scan through my decks. It protects the boxes, and it's compact.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
This is one of my actual headaches: I would really love to store them in one place only, protected of the dust, humidity and in a way that can be practical to access them. I've looked for furniture that could fit my needs but until now, I've had no luck. I'm thinking on storing them in white brick boxes. The bad part is that they won't be really displayed.
Wouldn't be great if Ikea designers created something for our collections? :)
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »

chris69uk

• Newcomer
I store mine in a collector's display cabinet, although it is getting rather full now, I will try and grab a pic when its been tidied abit  :)

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
http://www.staples.com/Plastic-Storage-Drawers/cat_CL140604

Look at the 7- and 10-drawer cabinets.  I seem to recall someone telling me the small drawers can store three bricks each (probably out of the brick box).  The 7-drawer unit is good for storing larger, bulkier items in the bottom.  They're also made in a 12-drawer unit which I only saw in-store, the casters can be removed and the units can be stacked.  Bonus: just read that for all those same types of units, they're modular - you can mix and match drawers to a custom configuration!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:05:34 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Finally got my deck displays done and hung.  Thought I would share a picture with the group.  Thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Finally got my deck displays done and hung.  Thought I would share a picture with the group.  Thoughts?

Woah! That's pretty neat!
I'd love to get one, but my walls are absolutely plastered with posters.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
I have two aluminium flight cases that I plan to store the unopened portion of my collection in. You can cut the foam inserts so that it holds a fair amount of decks in great security (say around 54 decks per case). At the moment, my collection isn't that big so I keep one open deck and one unopened deck next to each other. I'm hoping to keep these for the 'rarer' parts of my collection.

I also have an old poker set that I never use. So I took out all the chips and felt inserts, and started putting decks in. Turns out, a 500 chip aluminium case can hold 81 decks of cards! It's really bare bones though, and you have to be careful of any rivets that the used during the production of the case. They tend to be fairly sharp and raised, and could cause your cards damage if you don't align them properly.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have two aluminium flight cases that I plan to store the unopened portion of my collection in. You can cut the foam inserts so that it holds a fair amount of decks in great security (say around 54 decks per case). At the moment, my collection isn't that big so I keep one open deck and one unopened deck next to each other. I'm hoping to keep these for the 'rarer' parts of my collection.

I also have an old poker set that I never use. So I took out all the chips and felt inserts, and started putting decks in. Turns out, a 500 chip aluminium case can hold 81 decks of cards! It's really bare bones though, and you have to be careful of any rivets that the used during the production of the case. They tend to be fairly sharp and raised, and could cause your cards damage if you don't align them properly.

Try some tape over those rivets.  I find Gorilla Tape better than duct tape, personally.

Remember those shelving units I mentioned?  They do hold about 45 decks per drawer, the drawers are stackable, but the units get VERY, VERY HEAVY when you load them up - use those felt pads on the corners and forget about using the caster wheels, they'll only break under the strain.  When I finish setting mine up, I'll take pictures.  My current set up is eight of the 5,000-capacity sports card boxes and two drawer units consisting of eight standard and two double-sized drawers.  (And the scary part is that it still might not be enough...)

Whoa, I just realized something...  My collection has grown to around 1,800 decks...  yikes...

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

misterwizzerd

• Lurker
I'm fairly new to collecting decks so my collection is fairly modest. I discovered woodgoodsbydon on eBay and bought two 16 deck displays he had already built. Then I ordered a 24 deck display which he custom built for me. He does great work and is more than willing to customize a display however you like. The prices aren't what I would call cheap but definitely reasonable. For my most prized decks i use a baseball display case. I pop off the baseball holders and install miniature black easels to hold decks. Included is the picture of the 24 deck display don sent me before shipping it off yesterday. When I get it all set up I will post pics.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Display 2.0

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 02:01:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Sounds about right.  I have 343 different decks in total and 71 not on display so thats 272.  But I have a couple holes left open for things I know are in route.   Pretty good Don.  That wall is done so I guess I have to move to the adjacent one.  Gonna have to cull out some sports memorabilia. 

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
My grandfather and I are planning on making some cases similar to yours, kdklown. Any particular advice before we get started? Your's look fantastic.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Thanks.  The two large cases are actually shadow boxes that are made to display a golf club or hockey stick.  I turned them sideways and fitted shelves.  Those are nice as you can go about 4 decks deep to account for duplicates, tin cases etc...  Let me know if you have any other specific questions.  Otherwise good luck and have fun with the build.   It was a very rewarding process, getting them displayed.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »

WhySoSerious12

• Facebook:
Display 2.0

pretty neat display, i wish my room have some extra place for this. atm i just keep all my deck in a drawer.. :(

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice displays, shadow boxes do seem to work real well. My display project is still in the works, I have a 5' x 6' space of bare wall next to my desk reserved for it. Originally planned for my Zippo collection, now I'm trying to design something to display both my lighters and decks.

I made a very small lighter display early on using a hinged frame from Micheal's, again very inexpensive with their sales and coupons. I also used a piece of PVC 1/4 round for the "Shelves", a couple bucks at your local hardware store and spray painted black. The thickness of a deck is very close to that of a lighter so this should work well. I'm sorry that the pic has lighters in the display rather than decks, but I got my 1st 2 decks yesterday, lol

Very simple, just thought I would share for anyone looking for ideas.

...to be continued.

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
That is an awesome display Sparkz, I'll have to look into finding those frames with the hinged glass cover. That is originally what I was looking for when built my displays but I couldn't find any at the time so I'll have to look again. I really like the idea of using pvc for the shelves.