« Reply #425 on: December 19, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Congrats!

Re: Gatorback Riders from David Blaine
« Reply #426 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »

DJT

There are a couple of ways to answer your question.

1st: Google tracks him https://santatracker.google.com/?hl=en#village you can even talk to him via some sort of IM https://santatracker.google.com/?hl=en#callfromsanta

2nd: NORAD tracks Santa (great use of tax dollars if you ask me) http://www.noradsanta.org/

or maybe he is dead, could he survive the trip?  http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/santa.htm

Either way I got my Red Gatorbacks  8)

« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
There are a couple of ways to answer your question.

1st: Google tracks him https://santatracker.google.com/?hl=en#village you can even talk to him via some sort of IM https://santatracker.google.com/?hl=en#callfromsanta

2nd: NORAD tracks Santa (great use of tax dollars if you ask me) http://www.noradsanta.org/

or maybe he is dead, could he survive the trip?  http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/santa.htm

Either way I got my Red Gatorbacks  8)

Lol Are you a Daniel Madison fan ("The King of Diamonds" on your new Red Gatorbacks)? "Magic is Dead - Prove me wrong" is one of his lines. I'm sincerely happy for you. I was just being humorous. I'm almost sure you knew that already! :))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:39:24 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Santa came early   ;)

Sooooooo

Are you selling some of those decks??
Form Follows Function

« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I personally think the jury is still out in regard to autographs.  I can understand it decreases the value of certain things, especially when not in the more favorable location on the object being signed, but certain things are increased in value with the addition of the right signature.  Magic props and the like are often sold at a premium with the artist's signature attached.

And I agree with Marcus - while I can't presume to know the size of the print run, a guy like David will go through a lot of decks in the course of doing business.  If I had to guess, he probably uses - and gives away - maybe three or four bricks a week.  When I visited his office, there were decks all over the place in an assortment of brands, including his own, of course.  The print run could be 2.5k or it could be 10k or more.

Believe it or not, I'd even theorize that by now, he's already blown through most of his personal stash for work, holding a small reserve, and that he's already moved to a NEW Stutzman design!  In time, he'll make those available, but only after he's moved on to another design, and so on...  :))

It depends on the magic prop. A deck used by David in his real or magic show(s) signed would have increased value. A new deck that simply had the cellophane taken off and then signed would decrease the value. The cage helmet from electrified on its own has high value. If David was to sign the visor of the electrified cage helmet, that would deface the object and decrease the value. I agree 100% the origin story plays a roll in value of an item but some items are worth more on their own without the signature. It's hard to explain in words, as a collector you just know. There should be books or documentation online that can better explain it.

The problem is, autographs are difficult to authenticate. When it comes to big ticket items many are not willing to take a chance with an item that is simply signed. Difficulty selling that item brings value down. A signed deck years from now is hard to prove. The new deck on its own is easier to sell and that adds more value.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  Personally, I'd think Blaine's autograph on a tool of the trade would be a more valuable item than one left unsigned.  Blaine's signature would be easy enough to verify because there's so many samples of it, complete with certificates of authenticity.

I will add the caveat that for many collectors of autographs (not necessarily card or magic collectors), a personalized autograph is considered less valuable, unless it's personalized to someone equally as famous in their own right.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I personally think the jury is still out in regard to autographs.  I can understand it decreases the value of certain things, especially when not in the more favorable location on the object being signed, but certain things are increased in value with the addition of the right signature.  Magic props and the like are often sold at a premium with the artist's signature attached.

And I agree with Marcus - while I can't presume to know the size of the print run, a guy like David will go through a lot of decks in the course of doing business.  If I had to guess, he probably uses - and gives away - maybe three or four bricks a week.  When I visited his office, there were decks all over the place in an assortment of brands, including his own, of course.  The print run could be 2.5k or it could be 10k or more.

Believe it or not, I'd even theorize that by now, he's already blown through most of his personal stash for work, holding a small reserve, and that he's already moved to a NEW Stutzman design!  In time, he'll make those available, but only after he's moved on to another design, and so on...  :))

It depends on the magic prop. A deck used by David in his real or magic show(s) signed would have increased value. A new deck that simply had the cellophane taken off and then signed would decrease the value. The cage helmet from electrified on its own has high value. If David was to sign the visor of the electrified cage helmet, that would deface the object and decrease the value. I agree 100% the origin story plays a roll in value of an item but some items are worth more on their own without the signature. It's hard to explain in words, as a collector you just know. There should be books or documentation online that can better explain it.

The problem is, autographs are difficult to authenticate. When it comes to big ticket items many are not willing to take a chance with an item that is simply signed. Difficulty selling that item brings value down. A signed deck years from now is hard to prove. The new deck on its own is easier to sell and that adds more value.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  Personally, I'd think Blaine's autograph on a tool of the trade would be a more valuable item than one left unsigned.  Blaine's signature would be easy enough to verify because there's so many samples of it, complete with certificates of authenticity.

I will add the caveat that for many collectors of autographs (not necessarily card or magic collectors), a personalized autograph is considered less valuable, unless it's personalized to someone equally as famous in their own right.

OK. Fair enough.

Personally speaking, If the Electrified Cage Helmet was auctioned today (as is) with sign certificate, I would pay $12,000 - $18,000 for it. If David signed the helmet, I would not pay more then $8,000. I'm sure someone would be willing to pay more. If you want to maximize potential profit, there are just some things you don't autograph.

I agree with you about a personalized signature. That will lower value as opposed to a standard signature.

*You mentioned before about David going through potentially many decks for use. I was wondering, does David give "all" the decks away to spectators? I thought it would be a cool thing to see David sign his used decks from performances and sell those, instead of taking the cellophane off new decks and signing them. 80% of the proceeds from selling a signed used deck could go to a local charity. The other 20% would cover the cost of the deck.

Before you tell me I should email them. David Blaine Productions does not answer all emails. I've only initiated an email twice ever.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:15:58 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Before you tell me I should email them. David Blaine Productions does not answer all emails. I've only initiated an email twice ever.

Hey, I emailed them.  It ended up with me meeting David at his office downtown!  The worst that could happen is they never reply - no harm, no foul.

« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:53 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Hey, I emailed them.  It ended up with me meeting David at his office downtown!  The worst that could happen is they never reply - no harm, no foul.

Very true. :)

You also know Bill though. That can't be a coincidence that you ended up meeting David?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:18:24 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #433 on: December 21, 2014, 02:03:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very true. :)

You also know Bill though. That can't be a coincidence that you ended up meeting David?

I met Bill through Lee Asher, AFTER I'd met David!

« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Just to end the story about the red gators...

The cards are completely gone in Davids Site.

The $100 signed deck sold out on Monday 22 /Tuesday 23.

Prices on ebay are going wild, so theres no hope right now if you didn't get 1.

Best course of action? resign. Or wait a couple of YEARS for the deck to stabilise... (Thats what i did with the white lions series A)

Anyway hope everybody got at least one...
Form Follows Function

« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Best course of action? resign. Or wait a couple of YEARS for the deck to stabilise... (Thats what i did with the white lions series A)

I kind of resigned myself to knowing I wouldn't get my hands on these when I was unable to purchase from the DB store. Maybe in the future somehow, I'll get a deck in a trade or something but I won't be holding my breath. I have a feeling these will continue to command a price higher than I am willing to pay for some time to come. I'm thrilled for the fellas that were able to get a deck. A little jealous of them too haha. The fiasco that ensued in the aftermarket for the Green Gatorbacks though... Reds aren't going to be something I can see my wallet wanting to pursue with any vigor. I mean, I saw one of these decks sell on Ebay at damn near $400 US.
Ended:
Dec 21, 2014 , 2:44PM
Winning bid:
GBP 255.00
Approximately US $398.51
Some people call me crazy, but that's !%$^ing insane and I refuse to participate.

There's always something new. I'll go with whatever that is instead and be happy. :))
(Still can't believe I fell asleep at the desk fifteen minutes before these went on sale.)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I kind of resigned myself to knowing I wouldn't get my hands on these when I was unable to purchase from the DB store. Maybe in the future somehow, I'll get a deck in a trade or something but I won't be holding my breath. I have a feeling these will continue to command a price higher than I am willing to pay for some time to come. I'm thrilled for the fellas that were able to get a deck. A little jealous of them too haha. The fiasco that ensued in the aftermarket for the Green Gatorbacks though... Reds aren't going to be something I can see my wallet wanting to pursue with any vigor. I mean, I saw one of these decks sell on Ebay at damn near $400 US.
Ended:
Dec 21, 2014 , 2:44PM
Winning bid:
GBP 255.00
Approximately US $398.51
Some people call me crazy, but that's !%$^ing insane and I refuse to participate.

There's always something new. I'll go with whatever that is instead and be happy. :))
(Still can't believe I fell asleep at the desk fifteen minutes before these went on sale.)

I have not seen any of these go as high as $390.00. I will take your word for it. That is extremely high but then again so is the demand. I don't think we've seen anything like this before when you compare how many fans David Blaine has worldwide. Just look at how many follow him on social media. For those that think it's going to get better, you might be right. We are hitting the Christmas rush. However, White Centurions were released a few years ago and still get top dollar when offered on eBay.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:31:19 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Here's a picture of said !%$^ing insane lot that sold.

Link while it stays up is here.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:20:22 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

It's not insane though. To some, $400.00 is like $20.

« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

Thats insane no matter how you slice it...  After all it is just a deck of cards... A new deck of cards at that. Only collectable by the assumption that it will someday be collectable.  Creating a market by limiting the market.  Its just a money grab. 
Would I like to have a deck? Sure... But I wont pay the price of a television for a deck of cards.  There are so many decks that are just as nice or nicer for reasonable prices.  I will never understand why someone would pay these prices no matter how much money you have to burn.   ???
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #440 on: December 23, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Thats insane no matter how you slice it...  After all it is just a deck of cards... A new deck of cards at that. Only collectable by the assumption that it will someday be collectable.  Creating a market by limiting the market.  Its just a money grab. 
Would I like to have a deck? Sure... But I wont pay the price of a television for a deck of cards.  There are so many decks that are just as nice or nicer for reasonable prices.  I will never understand why someone would pay these prices no matter how much money you have to burn.   ???

How many ways can you slice it? That's a matter of perspective. You can't know what you don't know.  Millionaire's like collecting things also. They don't just stop being human and stop collecting something because they have more money. If that many people are willing to pay for it, are they all insane? Or maybe they've never been told no to something they really want. Why should those people have to wait for the price to go down. Money is not an issue.

Could DB have made/sold more? yes. Could DB have limited how many per order? yes. But whose money grab is it? DB made very little by selling under 1000 for $15 each. I agree, he should of done something to make sure his fans had the best opportunity to get one or two. He could have done a lot of things. I would have been perfectly fine buying a brick of cards I owned already to get 1 Red Gatorback. I'd still be getting value in that case.

It is what it is. Make the best of it. A reseller will always be willing to take a little less to make sure they're getting paid first instead of a competitor.  With these markups on eBay, I'm sure you will find one or two on the internet.

Anyway... I'm getting tired of reading myself. I just end up repeating what I wrote a few days ago. I apologize if I don't reply. Happy Holidays everyone. Read you all in 2015!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:13:16 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #441 on: December 23, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Haha, that's true. I'm not one of those "some" so to me, it's "!%$^ing insane" haha. If I was one of those "some" I wonder if I would shell out that much for a 1,000 to the public deck. Probably not. Either way, I can't speak for anyone but myself and I think it's great for the guy that made the sale. Happy Christmas to him, I hope he sells another for that much. It's well out of my range.

Happy Holidays to you as well. :)

I won't pay that price for a modern deck of cards that have 1,000 released to the public for sure haha. My cap for one deck of cards tends to come in at $70. That's for something very special though, with a much lower availability than 1,000. Maybe I'm just not that much of a collector, I don't know. I feel like there's just so much coming out I don't need to pay more than that for a deck, even a special one. There's going to be something new and exciting literally tomorrow haha. The aftermarket is the aftermarket though, it's going to be pretty nuts when something is in high demand. Tis the season to give in to wants and I don't begrudge anyone their reasoning for shelling out for their hearts desire. Still, like you I have a very difficult time understanding why anyone would pay that kind of a price for a deck that's only just been released.

« Reply #442 on: December 23, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
There is a marketing tactic on eBay where empty accounts will post, bid and complete a auction at a ridiculous price to drive the price and and attention to a product. It happened with the Dan and Dave private reserve cards. The absurd sale happens waaaay early and usually before most that actually ordered the product 1st party even received their shipment.  If you look at the accounts and history  of these guys it becomes even more obvious that this was fake.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
There is a marketing tactic on eBay where empty accounts will post, bid and complete a auction at a ridiculous price to drive the price and and attention to a product. It happened with the Dan and Dave private reserve cards. The absurd sale happens waaaay early and usually before most that actually ordered the product 1st party even received their shipment.  If you look at the accounts and history  of these guys it becomes even more obvious that this was fake.

You beat me to it, a seller with a 4 user rating, 2 bidders, the winning bidder with a 0 seller rating......anyone else want to chime in and call BullS**t   ;)

« Reply #444 on: December 24, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

You beat me to it, a seller with a 4 user rating, 2 bidders, the winning bidder with a 0 seller rating......anyone else want to chime in and call BullS**t   ;)

Haha, that's fun. I had no idea ebay did that kind of thing. I've been on a self imposed ban from ebay for years and have no plans on breaking said ban any time soon. This just adds another feather in the no thanks cap. I'm sure ebay is wonderful for some folks, don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not. It's just not for me, I have an excitable and obsessive personality when it comes to some playing cards and certain impulse buys. Combine those lovely character defects with my competitive nature, it's a mix for being broke in a hurry when it comes to auctions haha. I found that by go ogling "ebay red gatorbacks" was the first one to come up. Scared the hell out of me enough to close the browser.

It's good to know these cats do that kinda thing. Next time my idle curiousity kicks up, I'll click the mental "don't give a damn." button and move on happily with my life haha.

« Reply #445 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I've seen insane prices for these and other decks. I don't hold anything against these people. It's called supply and demand. If someone is stupid enough to pay an insane price for one of these. Then the seller deserves every dollar they get.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #446 on: December 24, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I found that by go ogling "ebay red gatorbacks" was the first one to come up.

I like to go ogle, too, but usually it's not playing cards!!  :))  Is that a spellcheck error or are you just happy to see me?  I swear, spellcheckers, designed to make life easier by fixing our mistakes, only seem to make even more spectacular mistakes instead!

Yes, shill bidding is a plague on eBay.  Seller A puts up an item, Buyer B bids outrageously high for it and wins, but there's one small problem - A and B are the same person!  Now A can come back with a not-quite-as-high-but-high-enough "Buy It Now" price, using his own inflated example as "proof" of the item's value.

I know of one fellow who made literally dozens of different Bicycle decks who is suspected of trying the same tactic for a while, and I think he did rope in a few suckers with it.  It's only a matter of time before reality sets in.  Red Gatorbacks will never be a cheap deck again, not until the entire hobby collapses under its own weight and decks fetch pennies on the dollar (it's an "if or when" thing), but they certainly won't sell that high again - and one could argue that they never actually did in the first place!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:40:45 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #447 on: December 25, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I missed-out on the Red Gatorbacks, but did play some hold'em with family and friends last night with green and black decks. Nice cards to spread and deal. I won, but unfortunately we weren't playing for money, the prize was the decks themselves.

/bama

« Reply #448 on: January 01, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah, $390 IS crazy, and probably not real.
The going price seems to be around $60 for Red's.
That's not too far-off what some hard-to-find year-old Kickstarter decks go for on eBay.

I got interested in his previous decks and bought a mixed brick of the original Tally-Ho split spades from somebody in France for $250.
Just got them delivered and they are pretty cool, interesting to see how the back design has evolved over what -- 8 years?
Not metallic, but that's OK.

/bama