Gatorback Riders from David Blaine

Author (Read 106927 times)

Re: Gatorback Riders from David Blaine
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Don - I followed the link you provided. Awesome mate. And, as my little boy looked on when I said the self same word, he also said bursting into song 'Everything is Awesome...........'

I've met a few interesting people through similar such serendipitous circumstances, not the least of which being my co-administrators here, Lee Asher and Tom Dawson!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
So once everything has been clarified...

http://shop.davidblaine.com/collections/specials

I don't remember this page

I'm almost positive that link was there already. David's website always has a few backdoor URLs. This is not one of them.

« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

I'm almost positive that link was there already. David's website always has a few backdoor URLs. This is not one of them.

Care to share? =P

« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Care to share? =P

Basically they are URL's that cant be accessed ordinarily by clicking a link on his website. Most are URL categories that were never deleted from his Shopify store. They just created new category URLs and left the old one's published. Every-time they would add a new release it would get added to the old category URL also. It worked almost like a store history. If White Lions Red were released and one year later a new White Lions Red URL with a price increase was created, the old category page would show both the New and Old White Lions Red listings. One for the old price, one for the new price. Some who knew about it might have been able to buy products at its original low price.

I did manage to buy 5 uncut sheets for Free + Shipping. They canceled that order. Unfortunately I have a conscious and most times email or call the companies I find website errors on, in hopes they will let me keep my order. Of the three companies I found errors on, only TBC let me keep my order.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:37:18 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2014, 12:12:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I did manage to buy 5 uncut sheets for Free + Shipping. They canceled that order. Unfortunately I have a conscious and most times email or call the companies I find website errors on, in hopes they will let me keep my order. Of the three companies I found errors on, only TBC let me keep my order.

...and so many people bitch about TBC...  :))

Yeah, it's not that complicated.  If I buy the URL zzz123456.com, create a site there and make a page called zzz123456.com/secretzzz.htm, all I need to do is not provide any links to that page on my site or any other to in essence render it invisible to the world, or at least that overwhelming portion of it that's not exceptionally savvy and curious.

Blaine's "Specials" link was always there because his store has a section called "Specials" that you can find a link to at shop.davidblaine.com - a link that's even labeled "Specials".  World's worst-kept secret.

He's used other, secret links before and he's not alone - who remember the Sultan Republic Treasury Edition?  I honestly don't believe that he's hiding his entire Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday special in a hidden link that maybe a handful of people will ever find.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:15:36 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

To be fair, I don't remember anyone "bitching" about the TBC customer service. Of the three companies for whom I found website errors, TBC was also the only one that wouldn't have incurred a lose of profit or lose of unintended product. I got Gold Crown decks a few days earlier then I would have. I was happy to have helped. My story is not the be-all end-all answer to your admission of "so many people".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:54:18 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

To be fair, I don't remember anyone "bitching" about the TBC customer service. Of the three companies for whom I found website errors, TBC was also the only one that wouldn't have incurred a lose of profit or lose of unintended product. I got Gold Crown decks a few days earlier then I would have. I was happy to have helped. My story is not the be-all end-all answer to your admission of "so many people".

I never said you were ONE OF THEM!  Please, relax.  I just know they have a rep for getting a lot more heat than some other card companies do for the silliest of reasons, though an unhealthy amount of it comes from just a handful of people.

I liken it to the Hell's Angels classic business card.  On the front, it said, "When we do good, no one remembers."  On the back, it said, "When we do bad, no one forgets."  It's been pretty quiet lately at TBC but for a while there it was like they couldn't do one nice thing without people complaining about it.  But again, it was mostly the same handful of people - I think of them as the "squeakiest wheels."

But, back to topic.  Still bupkiss over at the David Blaine store.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:33:49 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Saves me having to load the page. I was just about to check.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Saves me having to load the page. I was just about to check.

I checked the "home page" - davidblaine.com - and all is normal there, but the store looks like one o' them thar ghost town stores, all vacant an' dustified...  :))

« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I liken it to the Hell's Angels classic business card.  On the front, it said, "When we do good, no one remembers."  On the back, it said, "When we do bad, no one forgets."

That should be my motto here on playingcardforum.com. "When I write good, no one remembers." "When I write bad, no one forgets."  lol :))

Your telling me to relax? Your stealing my lines now? lol :)) No need to comment. I'm busting your chops!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:09:41 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:09 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
If you would like to know when a site updates without having to run to your computer here is a suggestion

This plug in for chrome is pretty nice https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/pemhgklkefakciniebenbfclihhmmfcd?hl=en You can set it to monitor for a change in a site globally, several pages, an individual page  or specific text on a page . It ignores ads and flash plugins that tend to signify a change with  similar apps. It will notify you of a change with an alarm sound.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
That's a quite useful app! Thank you.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #337 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
If you would like to know when a site updates without having to run to your computer here is a suggestion

This plug in for chrome is pretty nice https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/pemhgklkefakciniebenbfclihhmmfcd?hl=en You can set it to monitor for a change in a site globally, several pages, an individual page  or specific text on a page . It ignores ads and flash plugins that tend to signify a change with  similar apps. It will notify you of a change with an alarm sound.

It only monitors a specific page, not the entire domain. I want a domain monitor to see when a URL has been added (before google picks it up). :))
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:50:07 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
So, did David save his life from genuine fans? :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

It only monitors a specific page, not the entire domain. I want a domain monitor to see when a URL has been added (before google picks it up). :))

It will actually monitor the entire site and even show you all the updates that have been made since you last visited even updates that have been since deleted. By default it will follow the page you are on or text, links, pictures and videos you have highlighted on the page when clicked from the toolbar. To globally have it monitor a url go to the options page of the app and set the Desired url to watch. 
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2014, 12:25:02 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
So after the red gatorbacks fiasco...

We can only hope to wait, until Mr.Blaine gives us some kind of signal about what is going to happen to the red gatorbacks...

My guess... Somebody approached him and bought all the cards from him....  ???

I don't know... i guess we will just have to wait until he decides when is "soon"
Form Follows Function

« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

We can only hope to wait, until Mr.Blaine gives us some kind of signal about what is going to happen to the red gatorbacks...

My guess... Somebody approached him and bought all the cards from him....  ???

I don't know... i guess we will just have to wait until he decides when is "soon"

It's one thing to remove or delete the Black Friday sale from Twitter and Instagram. Per the evidence of David removing all photos of the Red Gatorbacks existence, I doubt we will ever see them for sale on their own. David most likely came up with a better idea.

David has about 800K followers on Twitter in comparison to about 17K of theory11. What do you think would have happened to David's website had he released only 1000 Red?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:59:01 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
...or the decks were defectuous; or he's a prankster and he's laughing his head off!
One thing I'm sure: DB is an enterpreneur, he seeks profit of course, so I guess sooner or later there will be news.
All we can do is wait!
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
...or the decks were defectuous; or he's a prankster and he's laughing his head off!
One thing I'm sure: DB is an enterpreneur, he seeks profit of course, so I guess sooner or later there will be news.
All we can do is wait!

Per Google, Blaine's Net Worth is about 12 million. Copperfield's Net Worth is about 800 Million.  Entrepreneur or Not, DB is not getting rich selling playing cards.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:30:42 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Fiasco?  I think that's a bit premature.

And the odds of someone else buying all of his red Gatorbacks are not very good.  I'd hope he knows that such an act would alienate many of his fans, or at least the fans who collect his playing cards.

David has about 800K followers on Twitter in comparison to about 17K of theory11. What do you think would have happened to David's website had he released only 1000 Red?

I think that the fraction of that number who actually collect cards would be trying to scoop them up, no different than any other previous Blaine Productions release.  Did the world end when they released Variety Boxes in quantities of only 250?

All we can do is wait!

The word you're looking for is "defective", and yes, it's not beyond believability that a defect was found and they're trying to fix it.

Entrepreneur, perhaps - but he's a performer first and foremost.  Nearly all of his deck designs were originally created for his own personal use before he decided to make public releases of them.  The White Lions Black Label decks were among the last released of that series because it was David's color - none of the publicly-released gaff cards came in black, just red and blue.  I was fortunate enough to purchase a set of cards that was mailed to Hecrob from Blaine and it contains some of those unreleased black gaffs, and many others - cards that I theorize were printed with the Stealth Cards "short deck" but pulled for David's personal use.  Remember, the released version of that deck contained only 35 out of a possible 56 cards.

Per Google, Blaine's Net Worth is about 12 million. Copperfield's Net Worth is about 800 Million.  Entrepreneur or Not, DB is not getting rich selling playing cards.

I'd have to agree.  It's income, but for him, it's not "break the bank" income.  It's a nod to his fans more than anything else, I believe.  Copperfield's got more money than he and his family (does he have a family?) could spend in a lifetime unless he became incredibly foolish with his money management.  David's got a cushion that, with proper investment, will keep him and possibly his children well-off into his golden years, but it's not what some refer to as "fuck you" money - the kind of money that let's you tell pretty much anyone trying to thwart your dreams or run your life, "fuck you" and you do what you want, within the bounds of law and decency.  Copperfield's stash is more like "fuck you" money.  Of course, this all assumes that the numbers are fully accurate in the first place, and whether or not it accounts for certain non-liquid assets, like perhaps investments, property owned or collections of magic memorabilia, fine art, etc.

« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I think that the fraction of that number who actually collect cards would be trying to scoop them up, no different than any other previous Blaine Productions release.  Did the world end when they released Variety Boxes in quantities of only 250?

That's a good point. Although I don't remember the original variety box, I missed it. I did get a 1/100 Split Spade Collectors Box. As I recall that took about 6 hours. It also depends on the price point. $100 or $150 each variety box, filters out your low dollar collectors. The fraction you're referring to, is still out of  potentially 800K. That could be 17K or 100K. I used the theory11 example (with 17k followers) because of the first and second White Monarch crash. If a crash can happen to Theory11, it can happen to Blaine. I don't believe you necessarily have to be a "card collector" to want a David Blaine item such as his playing cards.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:26:37 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Hey Don, good points, but I think you forgot to address the "or he's a prankster" possibility...=P

Just kidding...=)

Fiasco?  I think that's a bit premature.

And the odds of someone else buying all of his red Gatorbacks are not very good.  I'd hope he knows that such an act would alienate many of his fans, or at least the fans who collect his playing cards.

All we can do is wait!

The word you're looking for is "defective", and yes, it's not beyond believability that a defect was found and they're trying to fix it.

Entrepreneur, perhaps - but he's a performer first and foremost.  Nearly all of his deck designs were originally created for his own personal use before he decided to make public releases of them.  The White Lions Black Label decks were among the last released of that series because it was David's color - none of the publicly-released gaff cards came in black, just red and blue.  I was fortunate enough to purchase a set of cards that was mailed to Hecrob from Blaine and it contains some of those unreleased black gaffs, and many others - cards that I theorize were printed with the Stealth Cards "short deck" but pulled for David's personal use.  Remember, the released version of that deck contained only 35 out of a possible 56 cards.

I'd have to agree.  It's income, but for him, it's not "break the bank" income.  It's a nod to his fans more than anything else, I believe.  Copperfield's got more money than he and his family (does he have a family?) could spend in a lifetime unless he became incredibly foolish with his money management.  David's got a cushion that, with proper investment, will keep him and possibly his children well-off into his golden years, but it's not what some refer to as "fuck you" money - the kind of money that let's you tell pretty much anyone trying to thwart your dreams or run your life, "fuck you" and you do what you want, within the bounds of law and decency.  Copperfield's stash is more like "fuck you" money.  Of course, this all assumes that the numbers are fully accurate in the first place, and whether or not it accounts for certain non-liquid assets, like perhaps investments, property owned or collections of magic memorabilia, fine art, etc.

« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2014, 05:00:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's a good point. Although I don't remember the original variety box, I missed it. I did get a 1/100 Split Spade Collectors Box. As I recall that took about 6 hours. It also depends on the price point. $100 or $150 each variety box, filters out your low dollar collectors. The fraction you're referring to, is still out of  potentially 800K. That could be 17K or 100K. I used the theory11 example (with 17k followers) because of the first and second White Monarch crash. If a crash can happen to Theory11, it can happen to Blaine. I don't believe you necessarily have to be a "card collector" to want a David Blaine item such as his playing cards.

I'm inclined to believe that the percentage of his Twitter followers that are card collectors will be a much smaller fraction of that 800,000 you mentioned.  "Could be 17K or 100K."  Could also be 1,000.  We have no way to know without devoting a lot more effort than the question is worth.

His cards sell well, they always have, and it's practically a guarantee that not everyone buying them are deck collectors.  A number will be just plain fans, and some may even be fellow magicians.  I can't see this changing how quickly the cards sell out one way or another - and that's if they ever make it to being on sale!

« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Still nothing on David's shop :(
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Still nothing on David's shop :(

Nope :(

The strange thing is NOT the Red Gatorbacks. It's that some people wait for the Christmas season to buy gifts. If there is a young David Blaine fan your buying for, now would have been a great time to buy that gift. His real or magic special just came out this year and I'm sure it's inspired a new generation of David Blaine fans. I don't think his shop being empty was done intentionally. I can see not selling Red Gatorbacks but emptying the whole store is unconventional. The only thing I can think of would be staff issues or something personal. Nothing in the news other then his interview with a 56 year old, topless Madonna.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:40:13 PM by Card Player »