You are Here:
Smooth finish: Alladin 1001 and Aviator

Author (Read 668 times)

Smooth finish: Alladin 1001 and Aviator
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »

The London magician

• True Member
Hi guys,

As I'm sure you are aware, Alladin and Avaitor playing cards are advertised as having a 'smooth finish'. While I understand that this means they don't have the dimples like bikes or other USPCC cards, does this mean they handle differently?

Are they better of worse, or is it a matter of opinion?

Thanks for your help,

Alex

Re: Smooth finish: Alladin 1001 and Aviator
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:18:47 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
as far as I know they are better for humid environment, not too sure if it is better or not.
Back for more

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »

The London magician

• True Member
Interesting.

Is that why Aladdin was originally only distributed in Singapore?

Also, does that mean they protect better against sweaty palms?

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:45:44 PM by The London magician »

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It really depends I guess, I dont have 1 myself so I wouldn't know.
I am not sure if it is better, but maybe it will hold up longer than normal bikes
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:11:52 PM by HankMan »
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi guys,

As I'm sure you are aware, Alladin and Avaitor playing cards are advertised as having a 'smooth finish'. While I understand that this means they don't have the dimples like bikes or other USPCC cards, does this mean they handle differently?

Are they better of worse, or is it a matter of opinion?

Thanks for your help,

Alex

In general, smooth stocks will not have the same level of glide as an identical stock with embossing.  The air pockets function like the dimples on a golf ball, creating pockets of air on which the card glides when passed across a table or sliding over another card.  That's not necessarily a bad thing - for some applications, a reduced amount of slip is actually desirable.  Aladdins have adequate glide with normal handling, though perhaps not as good as Bicycle with Air Cushion Finish or Bee with Cambric Finish.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that Aladdins are extremely popular in Singapore - Singaporeans on this forum have said they're as common there as Bicycles are in the US, and that while a pack of Bikes might be wilted in just one hot summer day, Aladdins hold up longer.  USPC has long maintained that they use a special stock to make Aladdins, but I have my doubts about this claim.  I suspect that they hold up better because of the LACK of dimples on the cards' surfaces.  Those dimples can trap moisture from humidity, sweat, skin oils and dirt caused by handling in a hot, humid environment, creating greater friction between cards, while an unembossed stock, lacking the pockets for this stuff to get trapped in, will accumulate less over time.

I've learned that any modern USPC stocks have to be handled with very dry hands.  The particular paper and black, graphite-laced glue used to hold the two paper layers together will soak up moisture at the card edges like a sponge.  When this happens, the graphite in the glue becomes markedly visible, possibly due to a small amount of glue dissolving, leaving ugly, black stains on the card edge that look almost like a secret marking system.  It took me a long time to figure out where those stains were coming from!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/