You are Here:
Wow - Bicycle Deck sold for $808

Author (Read 1565 times)

Wow - Bicycle Deck sold for $808
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »

Herb

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
It looks as if earlier today a deck of green Bike 808s with acorn backs sold for $808. Got to appreciate that someone was willing to be playful with their bid amount while spending that much! Anyway, I don't have much of a historical perspective on previous sales of this kind but this seems impressive. Anyone have any comments on this? Anyone from here involved (who wants to say so)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BICYCLE-No-808-GREEN-Acorn-Back-Playing-Cards-Cincinnati-U-S-A-/201077925313?nma=true&si=YkdpWEFGPfCBSvNKIMlcS8ya7js%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Re: Wow - Bicycle Deck sold for $808
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Any time a deck goes for that kind of money - in fact, almost anything in the middle to upper three figures - it's a big deal!  The cards appear to be in perfect shape and the box is reasonably intact.  The Ace of Spades bears no date code, which, when combined with the sale price of a book of game rules being set at two cents on the tuck box flap and the overall box style, tells me that this deck very likely precedes the date code system which began in 1904, which would make it 110 years old at a minimum.  I wish I could get a better look at the tax stamp cancellation; I can distinguish just about everything but the year it was canceled.  The tax stamp itself is a design from the period of 1894 to 1917 and bears no overprint of 7 or 8 cents from the subsequent tax increases that took place later, nor is it overprinted with "Act of 1917", which created the 7-cent tax.

But surely you knew all this already, right?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I have a hunch about who purchased this deck from the amount paid - no, it wasn't us! This version of Bicycle #808 [Hochman US8b] was first issued in 1895 and likely continued into the early 1900's. It is relatively scarce and the 'peaked hat' Joker is appreciated by Bicycle collectors. Green Bikes are pretty rare [as are brown Bikes] and command a very good price - this one exceeds 'very good' in my estimation!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:55:46 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
I love the "Bikes".   Maybe that is why I was not surprised to see that this nice Bicycle deck went for big bucks -  I actually thought it would go higher.  Why?  Because there are many Bike collectors and the early Bicycle decks have always commanded a BIG price - some bigger than others. The factors which dictate the greatest prices are; 1. The decks with the four earliest jokers - the “low wheeler” and the colored joker being the rarest, especially the latter (see all below).  2. The green and brown backs as well as two-colored backs as there were not many published. 3. Gold edges are very rare.  4. There are a few with rarer backs, especially “Oak Leaf”, published about 1885 with only about 4 examples known.  Of course. mint and completeness, including the joker and box are necessary to command a top price.  Lastly are the very, very rare four WW1 decks, published in November 1918.  These are definitely among the most valuable standard American playing card decks.

We collectors are nuts!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:58:05 PM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »

Herb

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Thanks for the commentary and facts folks...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:51:52 PM by Herb »

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
I was there, and quite astounded at what this fetched, and in fact the reality is that someone bid $808.08 before the other person bid $788.08 or more but less than $828.08 (fairly certain the delta is $20 at that level) or it wouldn't have gone that high.  Nice deck, but surely a higher valuation than what I was expecting!  Sweet one, but certainly over the goal line cost-wise.  As always "A deck of cards is worth whatever somebody will pay for it", and that's proven here again...

I did pick up quite a few (6, as I recall) of the other decks from the same seller, and most were just plain Jane souvenir decks that likely aren't even worth the minimum $19.99 bid I won them with, but - I wanted them anyway.  All are from the 1900'ish decade/era, maybe one or two 1890's.  There were several other 808 decks that fetched a reasonable sum, and I found a few I'd never seen on eBay before.  Having been a member for almost16 years (yep, June, 1998) that's saying something!  I'll post a few pix when they arrive, but I wish I had gone a little more on the "Indian" deck, I just missed it or whoever made the bid was using "BidNapper.com" or a similar 'swoop' program.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:53:01 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »

Pip Nosher

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Well, I'll come clean. I bought that deck. As Judy observed, Green USPC Bicycle decks are exceedingly rare, and that one arrived today, absolutely mint, in the original box with the joker. One seldom sees that combination; a mint deck is often without a box or joker, and when you find the complete package it's often in well used condition. The US8b and US8aa boxes are also especially brittle and not many have survived. At the time, there was also the option to send your box top in for a promotional item, so many Bicycle decks from that era come in boxes without tops. So, a red or blue US8b deck with these credentials would be impressive. I, too, thought this green deck would go for more. And that hammer price is by no means the highest recently paid for an early Bicycle. A mint sealed gold-edged US8d deck went for north of $1400 a month or so ago (and that was actually far more than I was willing to pay for that deck). But, the short answer is, yes, we are indeed nuts!

Pip Nosher

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 02:51:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Congratulations on your lucky score!

Regarding the brittleness of boxes - is it possible to restore the humidity level in the paper to reduce the brittleness?  Anything to make a deck last longer, right?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:39:34 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Well done Pip - Pleased to hear it is in such great condition. Can't disagree on the value either in that shape. Guess we know who the 2nd highest bidder was! Only one person could be outbid and have the price come to $808.08!!
Will you come to Columbia on May 12th at 4pm to see the Field collection? Judy and I will be there, Larry Herold, Hawes, Bill Kalush, Don Boyer, Toby, etc. It would be great to see you.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »

Pip Nosher

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Actually, the underbidder was unknown to me--not who you and I suspected! There are new people in this world of Bicycle cards, and they are not afraid to bid large amounts for rare decks.

I would love to see you and Judy and the rest of the venerable 52+J folks in my home town, but alas I will be out of town. Sorry to miss the event, but I will be seeing you all at the convention, I hope.
Pip Nosher

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Actually, the underbidder was unknown to me--not who you and I suspected! There are new people in this world of Bicycle cards, and they are not afraid to bid large amounts for rare decks.

I would love to see you and Judy and the rest of the venerable 52+J folks in my home town, but alas I will be out of town. Sorry to miss the event, but I will be seeing you all at the convention, I hope.
...which is in my hometown: see you there!  (bring that deck)  Mwah, hah, hah... (just kidding)
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
Hey Mike
I think most of the rest of the decks in the lot were bargains - glad you won them!
Judy Dawson