You are Here:
The Flight Deck

Author (Read 11056 times)

The Flight Deck
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »

PRM19XX

I'm launching my first playing card project on Kickstarter Monday Feb, 24.
The Flight Deck Playing Cards and Folio set.
Here's an image and a preview link. I've gotten a lot of feedback from playing card collectors, magicians, and aviators. I'm finally ready to launch!
Here's your last chance to take a look before it goes live!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134284667/2014910784?token=6be6790a

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:00:27 PM by PRM19XX »

Re: The Flight Deck
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
PRM  nice to have you on the boards..  Obviously you mean on the 24th..  Will check it out

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Great project! and Great Art! let me know if you have any questions that I might could help you with. Can't wait to back!

Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

PRM19XX

PRM  nice to have you on the boards..  Obviously you mean on the 24th..  Will check it out
Oops, yes, I did indeed mean the 24th!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »

PRM19XX

Great project! and Great Art! let me know if you have any questions that I might could help you with. Can't wait to back!

Jackson
You asked for it Jackson, I'm sending you a question!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Jackson
You asked for it Jackson, I'm sending you a question!

no problem, use my personal email jackson@kingswildproject.com
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Wow, looks great. What's the print run on each deck? Also, what time is the launch?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:26:02 PM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

PRM19XX

Wow, looks great. What's the print run on each deck? Also, what time is the launch?

Thanks! Right now the plan is around 5,000 for each deck and about 1,000 for the flight log. I have an LE version of each deck planned but that's a stretch goal down the line. We'll see if that happens!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like this a lot. Takes me back to when I started taking flying lessons.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like the design a lot - but there's one element that just looks way too out of place for me.

The Ace of Spades on the Airplane deck - why did you make the face that of a horned devil skull?  It doesn't fit the theme very well to my eyes.  I would think a "daring young man in his flying machine" would have been a better choice.  Is there a specific, thematic reason for choosing that image?

A word of advice - make it clear to people that clicking on the images will send them to a blown-up version on a new page.  I don't see many KS projects offering close-ups like that and it gives people a chance to really see the art details up close.  It could convince a fence-sitter to become a backer.

Hey, for the bonus limited-edition deck - are you making a jet-flight deck?  Or perhaps even spaceflight?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »

PRM19XX

It's an aviator skull smoking a cigarette with his scarf blowing in the wind. The deck mostly deals with civil aviation so I wanted a nod to combat pilots in there and I like the idea of the Ace of Spades being different and kind of gritty. There was this great painting from WWI I saw once and it was this pilot flying out of the clouds firing down on some enemies and in the co-pilot seat the grim reaper was sitting there pointing out his targets. So I wanted to create a deck that was positive and full of hope and progress, but at the same time had a couple nods to some darker imagery.

Right now I've got some ideas for some LE decks involving different color schemes and even a sequel set of decks that could involve more advanced flight but if things go well that stuff will all be known in time. So fingers crossed, we get to a point with this campaign that I can produce those LE decks. And you're probably right about the blow ups, I'll add a note!

I like the design a lot - but there's one element that just looks way too out of place for me.

The Ace of Spades on the Airplane deck - why did you make the face that of a horned devil skull?  It doesn't fit the theme very well to my eyes.  I would think a "daring young man in his flying machine" would have been a better choice.  Is there a specific, thematic reason for choosing that image?

A word of advice - make it clear to people that clicking on the images will send them to a blown-up version on a new page.  I don't see many KS projects offering close-ups like that and it gives people a chance to really see the art details up close.  It could convince a fence-sitter to become a backer.

Hey, for the bonus limited-edition deck - are you making a jet-flight deck?  Or perhaps even spaceflight?  :))

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:26:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's an aviator skull smoking a cigarette with his scarf blowing in the wind. The deck mostly deals with civil aviation so I wanted a nod to combat pilots in there and I like the idea of the Ace of Spades being different and kind of gritty. There was this great painting from WWI I saw once and it was this pilot flying out of the clouds firing down on some enemies and in the co-pilot seat the grim reaper was sitting there pointing out his targets. So I wanted to create a deck that was positive and full of hope and progress, but at the same time had a couple nods to some darker imagery.

Right now I've got some ideas for some LE decks involving different color schemes and even a sequel set of decks that could involve more advanced flight but if things go well that stuff will all be known in time. So fingers crossed, we get to a point with this campaign that I can produce those LE decks. And you're probably right about the blow ups, I'll add a note!

Consider a WW2 fighter plane nose art deck!  Someone's probably done one before, but that kind of art never seems to fall out of fashion!

I would still leave out the skull on the Ace.  You're right in that the two decks cover civil aviation, which makes the fighter craft artwork seem all the more out of place.  An image of an attractive stewardess or aviatrix (from the days before we called them by gender-neutral terms such as "flight attendants" and "pilots") would probably rock on that card.  Even wing walkers would fit better!

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 03:53:28 AM »

PRM19XX

Consider a WW2 fighter plane nose art deck!  Someone's probably done one before, but that kind of art never seems to fall out of fashion!

I would still leave out the skull on the Ace.  You're right in that the two decks cover civil aviation, which makes the fighter craft artwork seem all the more out of place.  An image of an attractive stewardess or aviatrix (from the days before we called them by gender-neutral terms such as "flight attendants" and "pilots") would probably rock on that card.  Even wing walkers would fit better!

I'm definitely keeping that Aviator Skull. It's sort of one of my signatures. I'm all for making changes when people make suggestions. I've made a lot of adjustments to the deck the past couple weeks based on people's suggestions but I guess this one is important to me!

Maybe one of your other ideas would work well for the LE deck? Who knows! People definitely like pinup art. But I have a lot of female fans and they definitely let me hear it if I do too much cheesecake stuff so I have to be careful with that.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 04:06:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Maybe one of your other ideas would work well for the LE deck? Who knows! People definitely like pinup art. But I have a lot of female fans and they definitely let me hear it if I do too much cheesecake stuff so I have to be careful with that.

Ah, but that's the beauty of the old fighter nose art - it was sexy but never reached the point of raunchy.  It was a different time and social standards were a bit different than they are today.  Playboy Magazine wouldn't even exist for about another decade!

You could even make Rosie the Riveter and Uncle Sam the jokers for such a deck!

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice design and concept PRM, I like it a lot. I understand your concern with being "Tasteful" when dealing with your female backers/fans, but keep in mind that some Nose Art is more than just a Pin Up and marks some very historic events.

Good Luck!!

A very well known Nose Art image comes to mind...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:09:02 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
That is a good looking deck! I will be surely backing it on Kickstarter tomorrow. I have always enjoyed decks of cards that have a simple but sleek design. That folder is really nice too! Can't wait!
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »

superdarkdark

• Newcomer
  • bye, sickle.
you got my support. this is a very mature design. real classy looking decks & the deck holder is a nice touch, good selling point. i think i may even pick up a t shirt too.

good luck !

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
PRM..Are you still planning to go live today?  Your preview link now does not work.  maybe some changes being made?

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »

PRM19XX

Yup, going live today, in about 4 hours! 12 noon PST
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:51:42 AM by PRM19XX »

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm looking forward to this!!
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 03:08:43 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:11:32 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
I'm in.  These are GORGEOUS.  What an elegant art deco look to the whole thing.  And while I get it that your skull is a signature thing (and not in keeping with the art deco theme at all), THANK YOU for not putting a skull on every card.  One on the Ace of Spades?  That's cool ... your signatures, your rules.

A question ... if we're supposed to recognize who the people are on the courts, it would be really nice if one of the extra cards would have a cheat sheet to tell us who's who.

This is a must buy for me.

Well done.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:58 PM »

PRM19XX

Thanks! And I'll have to remember to draw a skull on your package. LOL
I was thinking of doing a cheat sheet card but decided on the gaff cards instead.
And the reason for that is I'm hoping to do a small art booklet that will fit into the Flight Log, or at least release a .pdf of it.
But After drawing these I now know that Orville had the mustache and Wilbur was the bald one. I'd know those guys anywhere

I'm in.  These are GORGEOUS.  What an elegant art deco look to the whole thing.  And while I get it that your skull is a signature thing (and not in keeping with the art deco theme at all), THANK YOU for not putting a skull on every card.  One on the Ace of Spades?  That's cool ... your signatures, your rules.

A question ... if we're supposed to recognize who the people are on the courts, it would be really nice if one of the extra cards would have a cheat sheet to tell us who's who.

This is a must buy for me.

Well done.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Can't help it... Have to share this awesome interview with PRM on Kardify!

http://www.kardify.com/2014/02/kickstarter-7-questions-with-paul-roman.html

Enjoy
!

:D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:58:13 PM by ivan »

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »

PRM19XX