You are Here:
Undead Presidents Bicycle Playing cards (KS)

Author (Read 2460 times)

Undead Presidents Bicycle Playing cards (KS)
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Undead Presidents Bicycle Playing cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:06:36 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Aside from the back design being a watered down Fed 52 / Rebels copycat, I really dig this. The illustration is killer and its a fun deck for sure.

I wonder if this was supposed to launch on President's Day.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
There seems to be quite a bit of recurring themes in newer decks now. First it was presidents and zombies. Now if the presidents are steampunk and Chuthulu as well, then I might be interested!
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:01:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Decks like these really make me scratch my head...  It's no wonder I have no hair left!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Aside from the back design being a watered down Fed 52 / Rebels copycat, I really dig this. The illustration is killer and its a fun deck for sure.

I wonder if this was supposed to launch on President's Day.

A President's Day launch was the original intent, yes.  This is our first Kickstarter, so we weren't certain how long it would take KS to review and approve the campaign.  Turns out, it was a little longer than expected.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Hello to the PCF community, btw!  I'm involved with the UNDEAD PRESIDENTS campaign, and thought this would be a good thread to get some feedback for our Kickstarter.  Thanks to badpete69 for starting the thread.

Here's my KS profile:
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1374056043

As you can see, I have a bit of a KS addiction.

I don't want to do any gratuitous bumping.  I've marked the thread so that I can respond to any questions, comments, or recommendations.  I'll also post some of the art and update information as the campaign progresses.

-Lawrence "Saker" Collins/UNDEAD PRESIDENTS

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Consider making "Jackie O." as "Jackie Kennedy" instead - she didn't become an Onassis until some time after her husband's assassination.

Consider in the indices using smaller pips and bolder letters/number.  Value is usually the first-most important of the two in card games - a standard index shows a pip that's half the size of the value.

I really have to ask - why zombies?  It's rapidly become the most tired theme for a custom deck of playing cards.  At present, just under the Bicycle brand, USPC offers in their current product line two decks directly themed on zombies and four that are indirectly so themed.  That right there should be a sign that's it's overdone and not simply becoming overdone - it's ALL the way there.  I won't even bother with the nigh-countless KS decks that are zombie-themed.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:04 AM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Consider making "Jackie O." as "Jackie Kennedy" instead - she didn't become an Onassis until some time after her husband's assassination.

Strangely, I don't think any of us even considered that point.  Of course, she was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis when she died.  I'm not sure of the protocol when it comes to naming zombies, but I'm tending to agree with you.

Consider in the indices using smaller pips and bolder letters/number.  Value is usually the first-most important of the two in card games - a standard index shows a pip that's half the size of the value.

Good design note.  I'll relay it to the design guys.

I really have to ask - why zombies?  It's rapidly become the most tired theme for a custom deck of playing cards.  At present, just under the Bicycle brand, USPC offers in their current product line two decks directly themed on zombies and four that are indirectly so themed.  That right there should be a sign that's it's overdone and not simply becoming overdone - it's ALL the way there.  I won't even bother with the nigh-countless KS decks that are zombie-themed.

I guess you won't be supporting our CTHULHU PRESIDENTS and STEAMPUNK PRESIDENTS decks, then.

:)

But yes---zombies are WAY played out.  I agree.  However, I suspect the artist may have had more to say than just, "BRAINSS!!!"  I gave my thoughts on the UC forum, but they are just my thoughts.  They are no more valid than any others when it comes to interpreting art.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Bricks added, $120:

Question for the community---how important is it for card collectors to have bricks in fancy "brick box", as opposed to just getting 12 decks at a better price?

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:35:33 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The only time I got a brick for the box. I never recieved it so I dont know if I think it is worth it but personally I think it would be a collectors thing in itself.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Yes, I've seen some nice ones that Jackson did for the Federal 52 campaigns.  I've just never purchased one, and didn't know if it was for collection or resale (or tons of bicycle spokes).

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Bricks added, $120:

Question for the community---how important is it for card collectors to have bricks in fancy "brick box", as opposed to just getting 12 decks at a better price?

Personal Opinion. I am a collector and i am not a fan of fancy cardboard/paper brick boxes. It just doesn't seem worth any "added" cost, although most actually put it in a form of stretch goals. It also doesn't feel like it has much of a collectors value.

Now, if it were plastic/wooden boxes or whatever material that requires certain craftsmanship or deep concept, I would seriously consider it. Not just wooden box with a burnt logo print on top, but something more detailed. The most recent example that i like is the one from seven seas deck. Beautiful lid that suits the theme as well. Some images of the unfinished product as below.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:15:44 AM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Wow, that's beautiful stuff.  A whole nother art project all to itself.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »

Saker

• Newcomer
Funding Unsuccessful!

That wasn't fun.  But I appreciate the input you folks gave to the deck.  We'll post here if we decide to relaunch.