Playing Card Chat ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ > A Cellar of Fine Vintages

Introduction to The Cellar of Fine Vintages

(1/5) > >>

52plusjoker:
Welcome one and all to The Cellar of Fine Vintages, a meeting ground for those interested in learning more about, and sharing their knowledge in, vintage and antique playing cards.

The collectors of playing cards seem, at present, to fit into two distinct groups.  There are those whose main interest is collecting older cards; and those whose primary interest is collecting new, non-standard cards – particularly those emanating from the plethora of young designers who have realized that the modern computer gives them the tools to create wondrous new designs with a degree of precision that was not available only a generation ago.  To be sure, there is some overlap between these collectors, but the majority at the moment lean either one way or the other rather than both.

This latter, more tech-oriented group also realized that the sharing of information about their hobby was easily accomplished through the Internet – discussion forums, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.  To a large extent, the collectors of vintage and antique cards, being an older crowd, pass over these tools for learning and communicating about their interests, preferring their generation's methods such as the telephone, the fax machine and the printed newsletter.  They knew what they were familiar with and were comfortable with it.

Being one of the former type of collector, but having been exposed to some of the joys of the latter group, it dawned on me that each group had much to offer the other.  Additionally, younger, more modern collectors have begun showing more interest in the classic designs of yesteryear, just as vintage card men such as I have begun to take notice of the artistry in some of the finer examples of the latest breed of custom playing cards.

A light bulb turned on – I saw an opportunity to "bridge the gap", to enable more communication between these groups.  This was my main motivation for acquiring The Discourse when it became available.  I realized it could be used a nexus for both groups to intermingle and "cross-pollinate" each other's interests, as well as providing a simple platform that can motivate the older collectors to give the newer communication tools a try.

The Cellar of Fine Vintages is a start.  We have seeded the message board with many of the existing posts that we believe more properly belong here.  We are fortunate to have a great moderator in Jonathan Rock, a member of both the Discourse and the 52 Plus Joker Club.  You can bet that Judy and I, and slowly more and more of the "dinosaurs" from our world, will be here often to add content, to share our information and experiences and to answers questions from those seeking to expand their horizons.  Rest assured, fellow dinosaurs, that you will find, as I have, a warm welcome from the membership of the Discourse, eager to learn from you and to offer you help when you need it.  I look forward to many wonderful conversations here with all of you!

Tom

jmrock:
I wanted to take the time to thank Tom, Judy, Lee, & Don for their vote of confidence.  As many of you know, I do collect many modern decks.  However, my true passion lies with Vintage Playing Cards.  I feel fortunate to have been chosen to moderate the Vintage Section of the forum.  I especially feel honored to moderate this topic knowing this is the Dawsons' area of interest and expertise.  I rest well knowing that the current owner of the forum quite literally 'wrote the book' on Vintage American Playing Cards.  I look forward to sharing and learning more than ever about a topic that I hold so dear to my heart…

Don Boyer:
First, my thoughts and those of my family go out to the Dawsons, the Ashers and anyone else from the Discourse or 52 Plus Joker who is braving the aftereffects of the storm which has blown through the Toronto area, leaving many without power for the immediate future.  I hope that you manage to recover swiftly with a minimum of fuss and bother.

I don't think I could put this board into finer hands than those of Jonathan Rock.  As a member of the 52 Plus Joker Club, he's accumulated one impressive collection of vintage playing cards and as a member of the Discourse he's impressed us with his knowledge of those cards - as well as some impressive photos of them!  Between Lee, Tom and me, he was the unanimous choice and with good reason.

There's little more I can say that hasn't already been said, so - for a change - I'm going to keep this short and welcome everyone to our newest board, A Cellar of Fine Vintages!

HandSkillz:
As a relatively new collector, this is very very exciting to me!! One  thing I think would be useful would be for a few of you guys to post your vintage collections, or at least some of the gems, and give details on the individual decks (pics please!!).

Don Boyer:

--- Quote from: HandSkillz on December 22, 2013, 10:47:55 PM ---As a relatively new collector, this is very very exciting to me!! One  thing I think would be useful would be for a few of you guys to post your vintage collections, or at least some of the gems, and give details on the individual decks (pics please!!).

--- End quote ---

All in due time!  Tom and Lee may be offline for a few days due to the storm in Toronto taking out power for a number of people out there.

Jon, having a "Post Your New Vintage Decks" topic is actually a killer idea.  Ain't nothing like making people drool...  :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version