You are Here:
Steampunk Cthulhu is out on KS

Author (Read 2812 times)

Steampunk Cthulhu is out on KS
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
The Kickstarter is out on Steampunk Cthulhu. USPCC, mirrored back, custom tuck of course, custom courts ... in a line-drawing style.  The designer did a funded Steampunk Alphabet book on KS recently.  The line drawing style for the courts doesn't make sense (to me) or match his other work--maybe those are just the prelim sketches with artwork to be filled in later. On the other hand, he put those same line drawings on the tuck box as well. So maybe that's really the design.

The early bird was VERY cheap--$5 per deck (sold out, but a great model). At the $500 level, the backer is illustrated as a court card. Limit 4.  Obviously, the artwork isn't done :-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370388468/steampunk-cthulhu-playing-cards?ref=search

UPDATE: The project creator has made quite a few changes since the project first started.  The bare bones linedrawing style has been replaced to be the same full-color design that he used in his Alphabet book, he's modded the tuck box a lot, and the backs are looking at a full redesign. Click on the project link (above) to see the latest.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:18:01 AM by GBAllison »

Re: Steampunk Cthulhu is out on KS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular
I always wondered what the spawn of a Steampunk deck and a Cthulhu deck would be.

Now I know it is not a very beautiful thing.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Y'know, I was sitting on the toilet the other day, thinking to myself, "Gee, the world really could use another Lovecraftian deck AND another steampunk deck...  What if, like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, someone could COMBINE my two desires into one glorious and yummy deck?!?"

From what I've seen so far, this ain't that deck.

Guys, is there really that serious a shortage of themes out there?!?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
I was going to use the analogy of toothpaste and orange juice. Good by themselves but awful put together

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I was going to use the analogy of toothpaste and orange juice. Good by themselves but awful put together

Niiiiiiice...  :))

The deck, honestly - it's not that awful.  But those line drawings need a full-color treatment to make this an interesting and attractive deck.  And thematically, we've seen so much steampunk and Mythos lately in different decks that it's starting to feel tired - combining two tired themes into the same deck isn't really a step forward.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
The colouring just doesn't seem right. Not backing this unless they modify it.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »

blackgin

• Newcomer
I backed it for 5$, not a super-good deck, but for 5$... :P

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
The deck, honestly - it's not that awful...

Absolutely. It's just wrong combination:
- the illustration on the back + graphic arts on court cards (the illustration + illustrations or graphic arts + graphic arts will be better);
- steampunk + Cthulhu (without the back I won't be able to say that this deck has any connection with Cthulhu theme).

But all that is a result of two popular themes on Kickstarter + his desire for a mint of money (due to expected overfunding).

p.s. steampunk, steampunk, steampunk... cyberpunk :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »

modi

• Newcomer

Latest Update says that they will go color. I'm currently in at the $5 level. As others have noted this deck isn't great, but it's not horrible, and if the creator is willing to listen to feedback I think it could be a good deck. If not I can always pull the pledge.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:21:11 PM by modi »
“Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.”― Terry Pratchett

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

chess

I am not a fan of steampunk or cthulhu.  I am definitely not a fan of the combo. I'll pass on this one.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »

anhedonia

At the $5 level maybe, but at $10? Pass, for all the reasons the other posters have mentioned.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

alex

For $5, it is reasonable price.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Did you notice the disproportionate sizing and misalignment of the index value/suit?

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
i like Steampunk and Cthulhu a lot - but the artworks that i can see so far are not knocking me off my chair.
the idea of this mashup is interessting but as others have stated in this thread - it looks like a grab for big money.
i really like to be proofen wrong here!!! ;)
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
The Cthulhu decks and Steampunk decks ARE getting a bit old. The art style is also a lot like the Albino Dragon artwork. However, I just don't think the design is anything new or creative. Certainly not a bad deck. Just too "Meh" for me.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 04:48:17 AM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Hey everyone, this is Nat, the creator of this deck. I have been trying to improve and modify the deck based on community feedback. So far I'm learning a lot and the campaign is going well. I know some people may be getting tired of the Steampunk thing, but I have an illustrated Steampunk book coming out, so this was a natural option for me as an artist.

Hope you can check out the project and know that I'm doing my best to listen to concerns and advice. Example, here's a link to the project http://kck.st/Ym7DxZ and the new tuck box design:

Nat Iwata

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:00 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Hello Nat

Yes the steam punk thing is getting a bit played out on the playing card circuit and so is the Cthulhu thing
(Never thought I'd hear myself say that, but the "Cthulhu Bicycle Playing Cards Deck- H.P> Lovecraft"deck kind of put the nail in the coffin for it, for me)

That being said
I think the new box design is pretty slick.
It gives it a much more professional feel than the box with a couple cards on the front (the old one was reminiscent of a souvenir deck)
The new deck portrays the theme extremely well, better I think than the back of the cards due.
I think your back comes off as more straight victorian Cthulhu than Steam punk. I know steam punk is set in victorian times but so was most of Lovecrafts stories well early 20th century. But early 20th century New England is pretty indistinguishable from victorian times for most modern people. (that being said I am sure don will correct me in some way)

My point the addition of a couple hard to see gears on the back of the card does not completely convey the steampunk part of the Cthulhu Steam punk theme (IMO).
I wish you could take some more time and try to get that across a little better on the back without muddying it up too much.

Anyway , I backed and if you start showing some more of the court cards and suits I may go in for a uncut sheet.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 05:46:34 AM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm inclined to agree. I've actually been thinking a lot about the back of the card and also the divider graphic on the court cards. After redesigning the tuck, it certainly has a very cool feel that people are responding too extremely well. Perhaps I need to meld these genres more, a mechanical Cthulhu or something more like the box illustration. Thanks though, I'll keep you posted.
Nat Iwata

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think your back comes off as more straight victorian Cthulhu than Steam punk. I know steam punk is set in victorian times but so was most of Lovecrafts stories well early 20th century. But early 20th century New England is pretty indistinguishable from victorian times for most modern people. (that being said I am sure don will correct me in some way)

The British Victorian era ended with the death of Queen Victoria - 22 January 1901.  It roughly coincides with the end of the days of the American "Old West", which occurred around the late 1890s.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm inclined to agree. I've actually been thinking a lot about the back of the card and also the divider graphic on the court cards. After redesigning the tuck, it certainly has a very cool feel that people are responding too extremely well. Perhaps I need to meld these genres more, a mechanical Cthulhu or something more like the box illustration. Thanks though, I'll keep you posted.

This sounds like a step in the right direction.  A full integration of "steampunk/gearpunk" with Lovecraftian Mythos will make this work much, MUCH better.  A steam-powered mecha-Cthulhu would make this far more distinctive.  Imagine all the other unique and bizarre elements you could combine for similar dual-theme appropriate creations/conjurations...  :))

Too many people think, "if I slap a few gears and maybe some watch parts on this, I can call it 'STEAMPUNK'!"  Wrong answer - it just looks lame.  But something that looks more like a working machine of the steam-driven era created with a higher level of technology than existed at the time - that's steampunk.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
New card back design, thought I'd share progress. Thanks for the suggestions!
Nat Iwata

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE, for anyone who missed this deck the first time around and wants it now.

Nat Iwata actually launched a "second chance" KS project solely to get more decks FIVE DAYS AGO and it's reached its goal.  It ends THIS AFTERNOON at 2:49pm Eastern US/Canada.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370388468/steampunk-cthulhu-bicycle-deck-extended-print-run