You are Here:
Hello One and All

Author (Read 998 times)

Hello One and All
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Hi Guys

Thought id drop a line and say hi! why? well, because im polite, and i dont want to have a lurker tag!

Im Scott from the UK and i have dabbled in magic on and off for quite a few years now (branching back to my teens when i performed in front of quite literally tens of family members) but i have started to get back into the swing of things, practicing in my spare time and collecting the odd deck here and there. Its all fascinating stuff and great to start to be a part of this fab community.

Thanks for letting me in! any questions, please dont hesitate to fire away.

Hope to speak to you all at some point!

:D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:50:17 AM by therealmackay »

Re: Hello One and All
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Guys

Thought id drop a line and say hi! why? well, because im polite, and i dont want to have a lurker tag!

Im Scott from the UK and i have dabbled in magic on and off for quite a few years now (branching back to my teens when i performed in front of quite literally tens of family members) but i have started to get back into the swing of things, practicing in my spare time and collecting the odd deck here and there. Its all fascinating stuff and great to start to be a part of this fab community.

Thanks for letting me in! any questions, please dont hesitate to fire away.

Hope to speak to you all at some point!

:D

So, what are some of your favorite tricks/routines?  Do you have a favorite deck for collecting?  And one for performing?  Any preferences in what you collect?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Hi Don

Thanks for going easy on me with your reply!  ;)! Hope you are well?

In terms of performing i like using Split Spades, the new silver edition really handles well and looks great. Whilst i was in my teens i used good old Bicycle cards all the time. Always Blue, never red for some reason, I guess its my signature.

The routines/tricks that i like to perform are Dan Harlan's Card-toon, You do as I do (my first ever trick learned), Brainwave, Also have mixed up ACR a whole variety of ways (like most have!) and more recently the Advocate. I also have learnt a fair few flourishes and card smarts. I like to inject some humor and personality when i do show my tricks.

I dont have a particular preference in collecting to be honest, managed to acquire a couple of Brown Wynn decks over time which take pride of place, if i like the look of the decks i will generally look to get some. Simple and clean designs are definite faves.

Do you have any preferences when collecting? Also which are your favourite tricks/routines?

Thanks for your reply

Scott
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:09:06 AM by therealmackay »

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »

Ben K

• True Member
 Scott, your not alone on the blue preference. I did the same when I was younger. Managed to shake that habit this go around, hope you do the same. There are some great reds out there. Hahaha pretty silly.
Great to have ya!
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Ha!

Will try to kick the habit sooner rather than later!

Great to meet you

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hai thar! Welcome to the forums. If you like rank tags,  you'l like  this place. There are like 40 of them, and they get real crazy after thousands of posts but no one reached those levels yet :'(
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hai thar! Welcome to the forums. If you like rank tags,  you'l like  this place. There are like 40 of them, and they get real crazy after thousands of posts but no one reached those levels yet :'(

[ahem] Speak for yourself... [/ahem]  :))
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:42:57 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

therealmackay

• True Member

Hi Alex

Im not that worried about the rank tag, just didnt want to be labelled a lurker! Thats creepy!

Great to meet ya

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hi Scott welcome to the discourse! We're happy to have you with us here!!!
I love it when performers add humor to the effects because the whole "DAVID BLAINE" style really freaks me out sometimes! But i get most entertained by magic with some humor even if its silly humor. :) (i just remembered SLO MO duck by David Copperfield. That was funny!

Nice to have another magician on board!

Im the opposite of your deck preference. I always get the Red Deck because I think its more "feminine" but when I was still doing magic before I preferred using purple or pink because I'm a girl. :) so the Bicycle Pastels were my favourite, but since they are not as readily available now, I just stick to the reds.

have a great day and a great New Year (belated)

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Hey Lara

Thanks for your warm welcome :)!

Funny how some people like to stick to specific colours hey?! Humour and Magic i feel compliment each other so well although i dont go out with the intention to be silly, just a nice sharp wit goes a long way, especiAlly if you are approaching strangers to do magic. I love the art and will continue to practice practice practice!

What are your fave tricks you like to perform?

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Heya Scott,

I haven't been doing magic in about 2 years now :) but before I always love doing Self working tricks. and Story telling effects. And of course the classic ACR routine. :) I wasn't very good at magic which is why i always chose self working ones.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

ibrahimjaber

• Paranoid Polly
Welcome to The Discourse & Have a great time :)