Bicycle Amazing Adventures [KS]

Author (Read 1776 times)

Bicycle Amazing Adventures [KS]
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just recently went active - a new steampunk deck.  After twelve preceding designs, you'd think steampunk was tired by now, but this deck's pretty good, IMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/deck-of-amazing-adventurers-a-steampunk-bicycle-de

I'm liking the art, though I think this is more of a gearpunk theme than steampunk.  And I thought the use of Art Deco lettering was a little unusual, since steampunk is more antebellum/Victorian while Art Deco was popularized in the 1920s.  And I'm very fond of the fact that his characters aren't wearing gears as jewelry - that's such an affected look, totally unrealistic.  The one court card character bearing any gears is using them as part of himself since he's a mechanical man of sorts.

What do you guys think of this one?

EDIT: hasn't even been a full day and it's already nearly one-third completed!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:07:55 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Bicycle Amazing Adventures [KS]
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:10:16 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am not a fan of the face card art. I prefer decks that stick closer to the normal bicycle style. I feel if I performed with this people would not think it was a regular deck.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I am not a fan of the face card art. I prefer decks that stick closer to the normal bicycle style. I feel if I performed with this people would not think it was a regular deck.

I can see the value in a deck hewing more closely to the USPC standard faces - but this isn't a standard deck.  If every deck conformed to that notion, there'd be no such thing as a fully custom deck, would there?

Despite the fancy art, there's nothing that would give this deck away as being some kind of trick deck, which it isn't.  And not every deck needs to be made to conform to what a magician's ideal deck would be, especially since they (in fact, this whole forum) makes up only a tiny fraction of the deck-buying market as a whole.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I understand, I was giving my personal opinion. I just have noticed people are ok if the faces are closer to standard.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I understand, I was giving my personal opinion. I just have noticed people are ok if the faces are closer to standard.

For performing and for poker, I like a deck that's closer to standard.  But that's not the only things I do with a deck of playing cards, and even I have to admit that I really enjoy using some of the more customized decks in my collection now and then.  While some might be concerned about the deck being thought of as a trick deck or simply functioning as too distracting and taking attention from the trick, I think that when used properly, it can function as an excellent means by which to steer a spectator's focus away from a move you don't want them to see.  "Oh, look at the pretty cards I have in this hand...while I do some sneaky maneuvers with my OTHER hand, muah ha ha!"  "See the very pretty spread of neat-o cards I laid out for you, please - and while you're doing that, ignore what's going on at my end of the table, where I'm preparing to pull the wool over your eyes..."

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
To each their own. I might get it later if I have a chance, but does not seem like a deck I really want to get at the moment.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
This deck is in my opinion one of the better Kickstarter decks.
The Ace of Spades is simple,very simple but fits the theme of the gears.
Its more of a gearpunk then a steampunk,true!
I went for 2 decks at the Kickstarter.
If i see all of the court cards i might raise my pledge for more.
What i like on custom decks for performing magic with them : The theme
If we got a good theme/design in a deck which we can build a patter around then i use this deck for performing.

In example the jokers of the Ornate decks,they look like magic wands....so use this logic in your favour!
I build them into one of my routines and the laymen love being interactive and swinging this magic wand (joker) over the deck to make the magic happen.

To make a long story short : If the theme allows me to wave a patter around it - i will perform with the deck.
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »

karak

• True Member
I like the deck sort of.
Edited.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:11:29 PM by karak »

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »

geekplayingcards

• Newcomer

I do understand and respect that particular issue.  There are certainly many ways that a trick could be ruined, and increasing suspicions of a "trick deck" is one of them.

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »

geekplayingcards

• Newcomer
Hi all, I am Michael Mindes, and I am the person responsible for the creation of this deck (although I am not the artist, so it is hard to claim that...)  Anyways, I will try to answer any questions that you may have here, so please ask away.

In the meantime, we have posted the artwork for the King of Hearts and Joker #2, please enjoy.

Kickstarter link, if desired: http://kck.st/TuxWjn

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:05:18 PM by geekplayingcards »

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi all, I am Michael Mindes, and I am the person responsible for the creation of this deck (although I am not the artist, so it is hard to claim that...)  Anyways, I will try to answer any questions that you may have here, so please ask away.

In the meantime, we have posted the artwork for the King of Hearts and Joker #2, please enjoy.

Thanks,

Michael

Hey, Michael - thanks for coming by!  Allow me to welcome you and thank you for the additional pictures!  Your project looks like it's going to hit its goal very, very soon!  Any possible future plans?  Any stretch/overfunding goals you're considering?

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »

geekplayingcards

• Newcomer

Thanks,

Michael

Hey, Michael - thanks for coming by!  Allow me to welcome you and thank you for the additional pictures!  Your project looks like it's going to hit its goal very, very soon!  Any possible future plans?  Any stretch/overfunding goals you're considering?

Yes, we have stretch goals defined on the project page:

@$10,000 - The deck funds, and will be delivered to you promptly upon completion.

@$15,000 - Custom deck sealing stickers for the decks instead of the USPCC standard sealing sticker.

@$20,000 - Custom dealer button design created.  Rob will create the design, and we will make it available
on this project for you to get your own made if you desire.

@$30,000 - Poker chip design created.  Rob will create the design, and we will make it available on this project for you to get your own made if you desire.

@$40,000 - Poker Optimization - Those of you who play poker know that having 2 decks with different color backs is ideal, and with this stretch goal, we'll give you that.  USPCC counts there as separate decks for pricing and minimums, so we cannot afford to do this until funding goes over $40,000.  For clarification, every 2 decks will have alternating color deck backs.

@$60,000 - Additional custom card back instead of just having a different colored back.  Artist Rob Lundy will make this extra fancy. Rob estimates that creating such a back will take a full day of work.

@$90,000 - Additional custom card back instead of just having a different colored back.  Artist Rob Lundy will make this extra fancy.  So, every group of 2 decks will have 2 unique and awesome extra fancy backs. Rob estimates that creating such a back will take a full day of work.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »

geekplayingcards

• Newcomer
We just had a project update which included the Queen of Clubs: