You are Here:
[eBay] A huge bunch of rare decks!!!!!!!

Author (Read 4388 times)

[eBay] A huge bunch of rare decks!!!!!!!
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow, here's a huge bunch of rare decks. If you are looking for a way to spend a couple thousand, here is the link to the bid:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-playing-cards-ellusionist-and-dnd-huge-lot-/140711575975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c31041a7
Good luck!

Re: A huge bunch of rare decks!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Lol I guess someone's quitting.
I really don't like these bids with reserves. I'd rather have a high minimum bid than reserves...

Re: A huge bunch of rare decks!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow that's a ton of decks! Although I don't like the idea of buying a whole bunch like that at once. For me half the fun is slowly building up my collection and having a story for each deck. If you grab a deck off my shelf I can usually tell the story of how I got it or why it's important to me. Buying a collection just wouldn't be as special for me.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

Re: [eBay] A huge bunch of rare decks!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:59:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Strangely enough, I own all but about ten of the decks he listed for sale...

It's good for a beginning collector with deep pockets seeking a jumpstart, I guess.

That whole "reserve" thing on the bidding just made zero sense to me.  Wave a carrot in my face, start accepting offers at X, but you don't sell it until you've received a bid of at least X+Y or the auction ends, whichever is first?  Just state the minimum you'll accept and get it over with.  I've seen items sell and resell over and over because the reserves were set too high.  You give a REAL minimum bid request, then people know what you really want - why make them guess?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Wow, I wouldn't like to be the postman that delivers this and the recipient doesn't answer the door.

While I'd have absolutely no interest in buying these even if I was in the US, the listing is useful for making a list of decks to get!

I'll bookmark only to see how much it goes for in the end. It'd be good to have an idea how much relief my family will get in the future when I die and they can say 'finally, we can get rid of those bloody cards'.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:23:13 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow, I wouldn't like to be the postman that delivers this and the recipient doesn't answer the door.

While I'd have absolutely no interest in buying these even if I was in the US, the listing is useful for making a list of decks to get!

I'll bookmark only to see how much it goes for in the end. It'd be good to have an idea how much relief my family will get in the future when I die and they can say 'finally, we can get rid of those bloody cards'.

Yeah, but they'll probably just toss them in the trash!  How many senior citizens could retire today if their mothers didn't throw away the comic books they read as children...  :))

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Whoa thats a lot of cards. Sadly to say I have no idea what bidding is in Ebay. ^_^ hahahahah!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Whoa thats a lot of cards. Sadly to say I have no idea what bidding is in Ebay. ^_^ hahahahah!

Basically, the person who has bid the most amount of money when the time runs out wins the auction and is obligated to pay the amount they bid.

There's two main ways to approach the bidding. Either set yourself a limit and say that no matter what happens you wouldn't pay more than that and then place that bid at any time. This way, you don't get caught up in the heat of the moment and end up paying much more than you had wanted to. However, this method relies on you placing a higher bid than anyone else wants to. But it does discourage the people looking for a cheap bargain.

The more common method is to wait until the auction only has a few minutes left. Open two windows with the auction in and use one to bid and use the other to spam F5 (refresh webpage) to see what others are bidding. You'll see the number of bids rocket in these last moments and if you are quick enough you can edge the highest bidder at the very last moment and win. The risks are obvious - you need to be quick and it can be glitchy, and it's easy to bid more money than it's worth.

The other way is when you bid a bit higher than the person before you. But I think that way is least efficient as you are just driving the price upwards and giving the auction lots of attention.

So, just now that is at $305 with over a day left. My guess is that if you look again when it has an hour left that number and the number of bids will be a lot more. There's over 260 decks there, quite a number of them rare so I wouldn't be surpised to see it go for $3,000. Potentially a lot more if there is a bidding war between a couple of people who are desperate to get rid of their money!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:51:44 AM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I expect this to end in the 5,000s. I currently don't own most of these decks, but (obviously) won't be bidding. I actually think that the "reserve" is great, it allows people to start this auction with small bids, building momentum, while the seller is sure that he won't loose a lot of his money...

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I just put a bid in for $666 and it wat auto bided higher.  I'm just testing the waters on this one, I want to find out the reserve.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:46:32 AM by Russell CircleCityCards »
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@sxjy0109 and @Nathan, if you were the sellers, I would not bid your items :P :P :P

I only bid on auctions with reasonably low starting prices or acceptable BIN prices. Please remember: buyers would like to pay the amount of money that they want, instead of the amount of money that sellers want.

When a seller sets a high starting price or reserve, the worst case is no one places a bid on it or the reserve isn't met. In other words, he have the chance to get high price, but he doesn't give buyers a chance to win it with low price. Clearly, this is an unfair game.

I've observed this interesting phenomenon for a period of time: if a seller lists his GN with starting price of $0.99 without reserve, the end price often goes to $90-110. If he lists the item with starting price of $80, it ends with no bidder.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:09:54 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Lol why not?
But no it's not mine. I'd wish I have so many rare decks to spare. I still love this hobby and probably won't sell my whole collection any time soon. Maybe a few decks every now and then to get some extra cash. But not the whole lot.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
@sxjy0109 and @Nathan, if you were the sellers, I would not bid your items :P :P :P

I only bid on auctions with reasonably low starting prices or acceptable BIN prices. Please remember: buyers would like to pay the amount of money that they want, instead of the amount of money that sellers want.

When a seller sets a high starting price or reserve, the worst case is no one places a bid on it or the reserve isn't met. In other words, he have the chance to get high price, but he doesn't give buyers a chance to win it with low price. Clearly, this is an unfair game.

I've observed this interesting phenomenon for a period of time: if a seller lists his GN with starting price of $0.99 without reserve, the end price often goes to $90-110. If he lists the item with starting price of $80, it ends with no bidder.

I guess that it's fair enough if it's $100 at stake, but there's thousands of dollars worth here. While the seller can probably guess that only serious bidders will bid on such a large haul, it's still probably safer to know that you will get at least what these decks are worth. Personally, I'd prefer that was done with a starting bid that reflects the price of the items rather than a reserve, but it's their own auction and their own cards.

I've had experience of scammers bidding on my own goods and it's just not worth it.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
it just broke $1000

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I wouldn't put a reserve on small sales, but here, if the seller doesn't, he could loose thousands! He can't afford to not put one! And anyways, I only own about 5 or 6 of the decks he is selling!

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ohh, the reserve is $2400... I asked the seller.  It sounds a bit high, not crazy, but a bit higher than I want to go.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thats a lot of decks! It seems worth the amount though. Is this guy selling his collection?

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
@MagicAddictz - No, I don't think so. I don't think he would have so many sealed decks and duplicates in his collection if he weren't planning on reselling them.
@Russel - I still think that 2,400$ is still a very VERY good deal for all of those cards!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The seller should sell those separately, even if the cards worth more than 2400$, but no one gonna drop 2400$ worth of money at once.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
The seller should sell those separately, even if the cards worth more than 2400$, but no one gonna drop 2400$ worth of money at once.
Ya, you're right. Maybe he's trying to sell them all at the same time without having to worry about tons of different sales...

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
@Russell - I still think that 2,400$ is still a very VERY good deal for all of those cards!!!!!

Well then someone needs to outbid me then, that's my limit.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I am sure you will, Russell. I personally think this will go twice as high as the reserve because that is what these decks are worth. But you did more than me: I didn't even bet at all! :P

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I am sure you will, Russell. I personally think this will go twice as high as the reserve because that is what these decks are worth. But you did more than me: I didn't even bet at all! :P

I doubt they will go that high. I don't think somebody will drop that much money on this whole set of decks. Sure it's worth more than that but most people interested in collecting probably have a good few of those or are going to want to get some of the big releases coming up. That's just what I think, I could be wrong  :P
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I doubt they will go that high. I don't think somebody will drop that much money on this whole set of decks. Sure it's worth more than that but most people interested in collecting probably have a good few of those or are going to want to get some of the big releases coming up. That's just what I think, I could be wrong  :P
Ya, I also think you are right. Individually, though, these decks would be worth 5,000$ +

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I still think the whole reserve thing is nonsense.  What this guy should have done was broken this humongous auction into maybe half-a-dozen smaller ones, then set the opening bid at the reasonable minimum he would have accepted.  Generating action with people bidding on it does you absolutely no good if it doesn't get bid up to the reserve - it's like getting the bubbles instead of the champagne.  In the end, breaking this monstrous collection into bite-sized chunks would probably net this guy more cash.  As it stands now, he's got about 18 hours left and he's not even up to half of his reserve.

If I were a betting man, I'd say this auction will be a bust.