You are Here:
Cardistry/Flourishing/XCM talk and help thread

Author (Read 4925 times)

Cardistry/Flourishing/XCM talk and help thread
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread just to discuss random flourishes we've been working on or having trouble with. I also thought that this could be a great spot for anyone to ask questions about a flourish that they might be having troubles with so that someone with more experience might be able to help them through it. Maybe even make unlisted vids on youtube trying to help someone with a specific flourish or cut they might be having trouble with.

Ill even start it off with a problem i've been having. I have been working through the jackson five cut. the first phase i have down. the second phase, sybilism, is giving me a little bit of trouble when you have to peel off the fourth packet between your second and fourth finger on the right hand. for some reason i have a hard time riffling off the right number of cards to break off to make it a stable packet.
have you heard the word???

Re: Cardistry/Flourishing/XCM talk and help thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
really nice thread man, i like it. i work on J5 every now and then and I am working on sybilism and the leno cut (got all the other faces down) the problem I have with sybilism is the last display ... in your case i wouldnt riffle the cards but cut them try that and let me know how it goes ... maybe post a video so we know what your problem is exactly.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:35:42 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
I love the idea of this thread! It's time flourishers like us rise up in power LOL. Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm still working on my J5 Phase 1 and I'm having problems with making it smooth. I'm working on it! Hope to have many fruitful conversations with you guys in the near future!
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I love madonna III its probably one of my favorites from the twins if you need help man ... I can give you some tips  :)

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm not a cardist by any stretch of the imagination, and I *still* like the idea of this topic.  I have many aspirations...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
I love madonna III its probably one of my favorites from the twins if you need help man ... I can give you some tips  :)

I have a problem with dropping the pack in th left hand. The pack always seem to align itself when I drop it. It doesn't fall in the other packet. Have you encountered this problem before? Maybe you could help out with this . Thanks in advance!

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
@deboziology i am assuming you are talking about the drop of the packet into the left hand at the start of the cut. I also had this problem for some time.

I started to make sure that when i drop it my left hand had a 45 degree angle to the floor. this made sure that the packets short edge that is facing away from you contacted the 3rd joint in my ring finger (joint furthest away from the hand). when i was able to get that it was easier because i was then able to "pin" the packet with my ring finger against the base of my thumb.

i say all this pretty much to say try messing around with the angle of your hand when you drop the packet it may make the difference.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
Hey, thanks for the advice! However what I meant the the second packet being dropped perpendicularly onto the first packet on the left hand. I can't seem to drop the packet in a way that the deck falls perpendicular to the first packet.But still, thanks alot of spending your time to help me!

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
ooo ok. when you let go with your thumb to have it drop make sure the long inner edge is already contacting the ring finger that is gripping the packet that is already in the palm of the hand. this will cause the packet to swing and rotate into the perpendicular position.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
Hey, I tried your suggestion . And nailed it at the first try! Thanks alot you're awesome!
Now to make it smooth...

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

cards95

I need some help with Madonna 1 I'm having trouble with the bad habits that you do. Any suggestions?

Noob Cuts
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

homeyg10

• Newcomer
Hey guys i was wondering what you guys thought would be some good beginner cuts to learn i already learned the charlier cut and the Kalushes cut but then i didnt do anything with cards for awhile but i just got back into it and wondered what to learn thanks and sorry about all the noob posts

Re: Noob Cuts
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hey guys i was wondering what you guys thought would be some good beginner cuts to learn i already learned the charlier cut and the Kalushes cut but then i didnt do anything with cards for awhile but i just got back into it and wondered what to learn thanks and sorry about all the noob posts

Swing cut is super simple but useful for breaking the deck into segments, revolution cut is cool to learn as well, just takes a bit more practise.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

Sweet

• Newcomer
I have a somewhat weak question: I see people picking up cards w. their thumb off the deck occasionally and for the life of me cant get the card to stick... Is there a trick?

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have a somewhat weak question: I see people picking up cards w. their thumb off the deck occasionally and for the life of me cant get the card to stick... Is there a trick?

That's not so weak - I'm curious as well.  My own attempts to replicate the move end up looking ridiculous.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »

Sweet

• Newcomer
Hehe yessir. And it looks like it should be a very baseline move!

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Here is a small add on to this thumb pick up ,, Lick your thumb and press a bit harder on the card, It also works if you find a good hand Moisturizer that adds moisture not grease... 

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

chosenthemagician

• I love magic, as simple as that.

• Twitter:
i just want to be able to perform turbine , how do i perform it??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:44:10 AM by chosenthemagician »
- stay classy with the cards-
- it's not the card that does magic, you do the magic-

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

That is a bit of a silly question mate, you are going to need to practise over and over again. If you have any specific questions then some people here may be of help, but being very vague is not going to get you much attention around here.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »

chosenthemagician

• Twitter:

That is a bit of a silly question mate, you are going to need to practise over and over again. If you have any specific questions then some people here may be of help, but being very vague is not going to get you much attention around here.

thats true

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »

chosenthemagician

• Twitter:
does anyone have advice for inventing a new card flourish? :o

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice
4. Review your performance on a video
5. Go to step 1

If you want more specific advice, write a more specific question.

Every time I go out with anyone that has cardistry skills, they're practically non-stop fiddling with a pack of cards - it looks almost like a mental compulsion.  These guys eat, sleep and breathe cards.  Even if a move has been perfected, they still practice it to keep it fresh in their minds and their muscle memory.  If you can perform any move cold after being slapped awake and having a gun pointed to your head, maybe then you can stop practicing it.  And it's out of that practicing that new moves come into existence, whether with intent or by accidental inspiration.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:20:22 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »

chosenthemagician

• Twitter:

1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice
4. Review your performance on a video
5. Go to step 1

If you want more specific advice, write a more specific question.

Every time I go out with anyone that has cardistry skills, they're practically non-stop fiddling with a pack of cards - it looks almost like a mental compulsion.  These guys eat, sleep and breathe cards.  Even if a move has been perfected, they still practice it to keep it fresh in their minds and their muscle memory.  If you can perform any move cold after being slapped awake and having a gun pointed to your head, maybe then you can stop practicing it.  And it's out of that practicing that new moves come into existence, whether with intent or by accidental inspiration.
I'll have to remember this. :bosswalk:

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:36 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Hello again !!  Flourishing talk !!!  Would finger exersizes be involved in this post ??  I have a stress ball bought from ( Golds Gym ) the blue one ,, it is soft, i'll say spongy ,, Has anybody come up with a decent exersize format ???  Mine is , hold the ball in a hand , to start left or right !!!  Mechanics grip on the ball so to speak ,, perform , paradiddles useing alternating fingers, then put , say, first and second finger width wise on the ball and squeese , holding for 3 seconds alternating fingures, Go through both hands and finish with stretching the finger muscles,, pulling back one finger at a time till you feel tension, overtop of the wrist, just dont go nuts on the pull back or you may be hurting the cause,,,  also so for a good stretch is , place two fingers over the oposite hand in position of the lower thumb knuckel and the pinky ,, push open the thumb and the pinkey and stretch the oposite hand fingers,, Wrist burn system with more openness,,,

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 02:48:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello again !!  Flourishing talk !!!  Would finger exersizes be involved in this post ??  I have a stress ball bought from ( Golds Gym ) the blue one ,, it is soft, i'll say spongy ,, Has anybody come up with a decent exersize format ???  Mine is , hold the ball in a hand , to start left or right !!!  Mechanics grip on the ball so to speak ,, perform , paradiddles useing alternating fingers, then put , say, first and second finger width wise on the ball and squeese , holding for 3 seconds alternating fingures, Go through both hands and finish with stretching the finger muscles,, pulling back one finger at a time till you feel tension, overtop of the wrist, just dont go nuts on the pull back or you may be hurting the cause,,,  also so for a good stretch is , place two fingers over the oposite hand in position of the lower thumb knuckel and the pinky ,, push open the thumb and the pinkey and stretch the oposite hand fingers,, Wrist burn system with more openness,,,

I think the Trilogy and Xtreme Beginners both have some exercises included in the routines on the videos.  Other than that, simple, repetitive practice will be exercise in itself.

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 02:58:11 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Thanks Don,, Practicing over four hrs. a day seems to burn out my hands ,, I am 55 yrs old ,, getting good though! I have all the DVD's ,, Im into  SOLO by Michael James ,,,  Strength and stretching,   How far can one go ??? IWO  Flourishing at my age , I used to play the guitar ,

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Every time I go out with anyone that has cardistry skills, they're practically non-stop fiddling with a pack of cards - it looks almost like a mental compulsion.  These guys eat, sleep and breathe cards.

Yeah that pretty much sums up flourishers haha!  :P

Well, usually it's not a deliberate thing... You can think of different concepts but there is no set formula for coming up with a flourish. Also, you need to be into flourishing for a little while before being able to come up with moves... Unless you're unnaturally talented :))
So on the whole it's mainly accidental - we just fiddle around and we'll make an unusual mistake that actually works. But as Don said we really need to try and replicate it and perfect it before losing it. And again it comes a lot through practice and jamming.

Hello again !!  Flourishing talk !!!  Would finger exersizes be involved in this post ??  I have a stress ball bought from ( Golds Gym ) the blue one ,, it is soft, i'll say spongy ,, Has anybody come up with a decent exersize format ???  Mine is , hold the ball in a hand , to start left or right !!!

To start with, strength will not make you dexterous however it does make you feel more comfortable when handling cards. A stress ball is fine, it builds your wrists, forearms, thumbs and fingers. Dexterity will come when learning new flourishes and experimenting with different grips. I'd say just exercise until you are happy with the strength and build of your hands, no particular format is required. :)
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »

Edward

• True Member
No way ready to post a video of my stuff !!!  Not that good , at all ,, "Mecka" took me 6 hrs. to get it down with having fun with it ... The Routine of  the scissor cut jump to the revolotion cut while plucking a card from the second packet in the left hand from the lame right is beyond me !!!!  maybe I should stick with the easy stuff,, not the profesional work,, so I do not get discouraged,, what do you think,, We are all not pro's,, These guy's " the twins "  just have the knack. On the scissor cut ??? could you give some advise ? That is ahard cut for many people !!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

To start with, strength will not make you dexterous however it does make you feel more comfortable when handling cards. A stress ball is fine, it builds your wrists, forearms, thumbs and fingers. Dexterity will come when learning new flourishes and experimenting with different grips. I'd say just exercise until you are happy with the strength and build of your hands, no particular format is required. :)

If someone really wants to improve their dexterity, they could try taking up a musical instrument - either a stationary keyboard-based or a plucked-string based.  A brass or woodwind instrument requires the performer to keep his or her hands too stationary while performing, so they wouldn't help dexterity enough.  But a piano, a harp, a guitar, a harpsichord, and those harps that are small and look like the child of a harp and a guitar (I forget what they're called) as well.  So would musical water glasses - but not a harmonium.  Anything that requires fast movements of the fingers but with the hands in motion rather than a fixed, stationary position.

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Hi again !!  Don is on the Mark !!! Dexterity ,,, Control !!!   # 1,2,3   Practice !!!!!  Break down the flourishes that you wan't to learn into segments ,,, Get each segment down then incoroerate it all !!!  When I start to feel overwelmed I slow down  for a day or two !!!  For me,, it is just fun ,,, Do not try to tackle the real hard flourishes right off the bat !!!!  Unless you are one of those very talented people, Remember That it is a new muscle control in your hands,, Give it time !!!!  and it all will explode to your favor !!!  Practice till the sun goes down !!!!

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »

Edward

• True Member
 Hi Everybody !!!   I've been working on the flourish ( The Dragon, On utube by  EllusionistKent )  I'm haveing trouble getting down the wing sequence from frames 18-20 (fast mode) and 1:12- 1:18 slow mode ,,, Can anybody elaberate on this ???

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 02:58:31 AM »

Edward

• True Member
 :D Welp !! got it down,,,,,, time to move on !!!!  Finish the flourish  !!!!  anybody got something better ?????

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

Divinefury

• Newcomer
Hi, I'm a newbie, trying to learn the Sybil cut. I'm having problems holding the packet between my middle finger and pinky. It doesn't seem to keep still and keeps on swinging forward and dropping out. Will gripping it tighter help? Any advice is welcome!!

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

Edward

• True Member
Simple !  Practice it five hundred times in a row , and do not get discouraged ! Go slow ! Speed will pick up in time ! your hands are learning to use differant muscles , There is free hand exersizes on Utube for flourishing! Dan and Dave also have good exersizes, As with De'vo !!!! Take your time and Relax your hands when flourishing , otherwise your hands will tire out !!!!

Practice , over and over , It took me two months to get the dragon wing spread on the dragon flourish down pat, I had to build strength and dexterity but with practice , I still bite at it !!!!!!!! But it's getting better !!!!  Lol !!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:30:46 PM by Curt »