You are Here:
USPCC CODE 1898"A"

Author (Read 6970 times)

USPCC CODE 1898"A"
« on: March 27, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
How are you?

my name is Touya Yabuhashi, a Playing Cards researcher living in Japan.

In the USPCC CODE, I found the code of "A" which corresponds to 1898, which has been considered to be nonexistent for a long time, so I contacted you.

"GAME OF ARTISTS Playing Cards"(1897~1900)
The code for this PlayingCards is "A".
This brand was produced for only a few years. The image deck is therefore considered to be a proof produced in 1898.

Could you check this, please?
--------------------------------------------------
Fireside Game Company (fl. 1895 -1900) of Cincinnati, Ohio was active from 1895 to 1900. During this period it issued 31 different card games, each numerically identified starting with, Strange People, game number 1100. With regard to our cartographic interests only game no. 1110, Population features maps. The organization appears to have been a subsidiary of the United States Playing Card Company intended to promote 'Educational Games.' After 1900 or so the company was renamed The Cincinnati Game Company.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:04:44 PM by Chuqii »

Re: USPCC CODE 1898"A"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 12:08:26 PM »

Chuqii

• Standard Moderators
  • Discourse Veteran
While USPCC did start using date codes around that time on their playing card decks, I do not know if the same numbering system carried over into the Fireside Game line of products.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
USPC didn?t start using the letter codes on Aces of Spades until 1904.

https://www.leeasher.com/blog/how-to-date-a-deck-of-playing-cards.php

This chart, while largely accurate, does have exceptions.  Furthermore, they only use the letter codes on their own brands of standard decks - not for decks made by commission for another company and not decks other than International Standard, with possible exceptions being their special decks for 6-handed bridge, euchre, etc. - non-standard decks that either entirely or mostly use standard playing card faces.

I moved the topic to the Conversation Parlor.  We reserve the other card-related forums for International Standard decks rather than ones for specialized games like this.  At some point, perhaps I should break out a new board for non-standard game decks - but we?ll see if there?s enough traffic to warrant it first.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 11:32:44 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Don, Chuqii

Thank you for moving the topic.
I didn't know where to post.

For more information on The Fireside Game Co. series, see Rex Pitts' article.

https://www.wopc.co.uk/explore/manufacturer/fireside-game-co/

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 06:44:10 PM by touya »

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
preamble
I think things start with exceptions.

New discoveries and inventions are seen as "eccentric" because they are outside the realm of common sense.
That can't be helped, so I don't care.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
This is the dating code published by IPCC.
There is no "V" in the USPCC code.
The IPCC likely adopted its own rules.

Nevertheless, IPCC, an affiliate of the USPCC, used the dating code "V" as an exception in accordance with USPCC rules.
The fact that V existed gave me a lot of emotions.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
When I saw this, I thought, 'The beginning code A might start with an exceptional deck.'.

After that, I decided to leave Bee and BICYCLE brand and look for it from a different perspective.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
"GAME OF ARTISTS Playing Cards"
1899 CODE"B"

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
'Fireside Bible Game' (No.1124)
published by The Fireside Game Co., Cincinnati, USA, 1899.
CODE"B"

(Images courtesy World of Playing Cards - www.wopc.co.uk)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:04:26 AM by touya »

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
First,

The problem we have when determining the dating code is that there is no alphabet (only numbers).
or if both the ace and joker of a spade have chords.

There is no Joker in this brand series. Instead, there is the Crown Card.

However, some decks in this brand do not have a Joker card (crown card) due to the nature of the game.

This forces the code to be written on the ace of spades.

It seems that nearly half of the 31 types do not have a crown card, so when looking for a dating code, you only need to look at the ace of spades.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 11:54:04 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Fireside Game Company changed its name to Cincinnati Game Company from 1900 to 1901, but the series seems to have survived and been in production.

I can see the USPCC code on the ace of spades on this deck, but it is "N", so I guess it was made in 1910.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
For Europe

Renewed version Made in 1923

CODE"E"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:01:30 PM by touya »

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 12:04:13 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
In a deck made by'Fireside Game Company'
I couldn't find the code on the deck before 1898.

As will be described later, I think that this is definitely a Dating Code because the continuity and regularity can be confirmed firmly.

'Nationalities' card game published by the Fireside Game Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, c.1897.

'Chestnut Burrs' card game published by the Fireside Game Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, c.1896.

Images from World of Playing Cards,
Quotes from past ebay etc.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:45:26 AM by touya »

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 12:05:11 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
What is printed on this brand is clearly a dating code. Fireside Game Company is only a part of the USPCC, which is essentially the USPCC itself.

Here's how it was founded.

https://www.wopc.co.uk/games/nationalities

EDUCATIONAL GAME SERIES was created for the purpose of educating children about the customs, race, and actual situation at that time.

Drawing the reality in detail could be criticized.

USPCC has a history of establishing a dummy company as a countermeasure against them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:54:29 AM by touya »

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Please check it out and make a decision.
You can find aces with dating codes by searching the net.

However,
Apart from these, I think you should continue to look for the code "A" in the bicycle brand.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2022, 12:20:29 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Who and how did you prove that only your branded standard deck has a dating code?

Unlike in the past, we are in an age where we can share information with people all over the world via the Internet. You can learn important information that many people have been putting to sleep.

What I can do is "report what  actually discover" to you, the world's top USPCC researchers.
That's all.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 03:06:26 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
supplement

The current dating code has been elucidated and published until 1899.
as a matter of fact,
The date of manufacture was also mentioned on the deck before 1898, before the company name changed.

Even after it was written on the card, at the beginning it was only a one-digit or two-digit number, not a CODE with an alphabet.

However, we believe that we changed to USPCC CODE because the number of production increased due to the expansion of the factory and the acquisition of other Playing Cards companies.

So the 'dating code' started right after the USPCC was founded.
It has been a 'USPCC rule' since its foundation.

And that's something that a lot of people, if a collector or a researcher, have noticed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:21:19 PM by touya »

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
TIGERS No.101 , 1st edition of famous Bicycle Playing Cards printed by Russell & Morgan Printing Co., Cincinnati, 1885.
Etc.
Copyright notice for the period of establishment.

Images from World of Playing Cards - www.wopc.co.uk - used with permission.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:24:38 AM by touya »

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 03:46:48 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
However, the initial dating code had some uncertainties such as the USPCC company name, TAX STAMP, and index design, and it was not possible to conclude that it was completely correct.

And I thought it was because I was paying attention only to the standard deck.

That's why I changed my perspective.

in order to fully identify the code.

At the beginning, the code was printed on the joker. See image

The image is USPCC CODE "A" decks.

(Images courtesy World of Playing Cards - www.wopc.co.uk)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:32:27 AM by touya »

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 04:12:10 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Most of the EDUCATIONAL GAME SERIES are 52 Playing Cards and can be treated as Standard Deck.

And these are poker size.

And while it was a teaching material for children, it was sold as a luxury item.

I studied while observing these rules.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 04:23:01 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
EDUCATIONAL GAME SERIES was produced under three company names: Fireside Game Company, Cincinnati Game Company, U.S. Playing Cards Company.

There are small reasons why I looked at this brand to identify the USPCC CODE "A".

That is the difference in the color of the ink.
I think that EDUCATIONAL GAME SERIES was manufactured until the latter half of the 1920s, but the color of the print changes between the first edition, the second edition, and the third edition.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2022, 04:26:54 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
People who collect antique decks have always been annoyed by the replacement of the box with the contents or by the replacement of only a few decks.

If there is a replacement, I don't know the date of manufacture.

However, it turned out that the age of this brand can be determined because the specifications of this brand have been renewed each time the company name is changed.

Also, you can see that the USPCC CODE is printed according to the age as shown in the image.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 01:54:57 AM by touya »

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
as a result,
The USPCC's establishment of a dummy company between 1895 and 1900 was, for me, the savior of'for CODE  studies'.

If the dating code printed on the EDICATIONAL GAME SERIES proves to be correct, I think it will be possible to identify other decks that were previously unclear.

(Of course not all.)

I'm pretty sure the USPCC CODE didn't start in 1904'G', as indicated by'Hochman Code', but in 1898'A'.

With this, I feel that all the Dating code problems that started with'TIGER No.101' and were interrupted have been resolved.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:32:02 PM by touya »

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 04:55:57 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
However, there are still problems with CODE.

The problem that there is a CODE only for numbers or a CODE for both joker and ace.
We have to clarify things that are unclear, such as images.

The report on the USPCC CODE "A" produced in 1898 is over.

The images posted here are carefully selected for this research.
Posting all the images is so huge that if you have any questions please search the internet or ask me.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to Mr. Simon of WOPC and other related parties for their cooperation in providing the images.

I would be grateful if you could scrutinize it.

Touya
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:00:27 PM by touya »

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »

Chuqii

• Standard Moderators
  • Discourse Veteran
Thank you for sharing your research.
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2022, 03:58:06 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Thank you for sharing your research.
hi,Chuqii

There is not much I alone can do.
I think the industry of researching Playing Cards is fragile.
I believe that we should all complement our history before our current generation ends.
If we do not do so, we may not be around for the next generation.

I will share with you all what I can.

*Supplemental Explanation

I forgot to write this here.
I'm not very good at explaining things.

There is one more important point.

That is that the CODE 'A' found in the standard deck is listed on the joker as far as I know.

The main reason I focused on the Fireside Game Company is to find out when 'when CODE'A was printed on the Ace of Spades' started.

It is possible that the Ace of Spades in the standard deck may have been printed on the joker because of the design elegance of the design.

If that is correct, it may be really hard to find CODE 'A' in the 1898 standard deck.

Or it may not exist.

With this in mind, I began this research.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:58:46 AM by touya »

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 10:45:04 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
You might find this story I did about Fireside helpful.   https://pcconnections.weebly.com/mr-wilson-and-fireside-games.html

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
You might find this story I did about Fireside helpful.   https://pcconnections.weebly.com/mr-wilson-and-fireside-games.html
Hi,NCC1888

Thank you for sharing this valuable and wonderful info!

I check the USPCC against the economic history of the US when researching it.
I believe the Long Depression of the late 1800's is the reason why so many Playing Cards companies merged, as mentioned in the article.

We believe that during the long, long recession, laws were changed in each state, and all companies struggled to survive in search of better conditions.

The USPCC has a history of acquiring many Playing Cards companies, but if anything, it may have included the purpose of retaining each company.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 11:31:11 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hello Touya,

I have every reason to believe you are correct with date code "A" beginning in 1898.  I was going to suggest talking to Joseph Pierson, but it appears your research already made its way to him as referenced by a recent instagram post.  I do not believe I have any decks with an "A" code, but I have quite a few Jokers with "B" from 1899.
Matt Schacht

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2022, 12:35:06 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Hello Touya,

I have every reason to believe you are correct with date code "A" beginning in 1898.  I was going to suggest talking to Joseph Pierson, but it appears your research already made its way to him as referenced by a recent instagram post.  I do not believe I have any decks with an "A" code, but I have quite a few Jokers with "B" from 1899.
Hi,torcams

Thank you for showing us this wonderful pictorial document!

Joseph Pierson is my friend on Instagram.
In making this discovery, for now, I have only told three great experts.

@pip_nosher
Joseph Pierson

@The Congress Guy
Kevan Seaney

@jason_mckinstry

Of these, Joseph was the one who responded.

I will put the latest version of the code list on this page as well.
It is written in a font commonly used in the U.S. so that it is easy to read for people around the world.

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Hello Touya,

I believe that deck was made in 1899, judging by the two-digit number on the right side.

The reason there was no code on the ace of spades until the early 1900's was because it was printed on the joker.

As far as I can tell, the first deck with the code 'A' printed on the Ace of Spades was
'No,1117 Game of Artists Playing Cards' was the first.

When collecting antique decks, I was not 100% sure about the code identification because the joker is not often used in everyday games and may have been discarded or appropriated from another deck.

I also utilize the numbers on the right side of the USPCC CODE when I cross-reference the USPCC CODE.

I have also been researching the numbers on the right side of the USPCC CODE, and am now systematizing it a bit.

However, since the 'numbers on the right' are related to the factory production line, they have different meanings depending on the year, so I have to explain them in sequence with the history of the United States.

I will explain if there is a response.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:54:01 PM by touya »

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2023, 04:46:41 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
hi,
Long time no see. How are you?

I have just finished updating the USPCC DATE CODE for the latest version of 2023.

The code for 2023 is,
The confirmation was made in the "Bicycle Disney Princess Playing Cards".

If you have any problems please contact me.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 02:37:43 AM by touya »

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2023, 02:29:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This link is dead, due to your update of the article.

https://pcconnections.weebly.com/mr-wilson-and-fireside-games---updated-aug-2022.html

Touya, I'm not entirely convinced about the use of the letter codes on the jokers.  I was told by none other than Tom Dawson himself that there were numerical and alphanumerical codes in place on the joker for many decks, but that no strict correspondence could be established between those codes and the date of manufacture - sometimes even the code on the Ace of Spades wasn't created in accordance with the established pattern.

Lee Asher has stated on his website, in his article on dating USPC decks, that the letter codes on Aces of Spades didn't come into existence until 1904 - and other articles I've read corroborate this.

As far as the continued use of the letter codes - the new numerical system makes dating a deck more of a science than an art, allowing you to know the exact week of production, but with the codes only being used on decks produced by USPC rather than produced by a third party and printed by USPC, it's of limited usefulness - though many if not most late-model decks do also bear copyright information, often found on the bottom of the tuck box.

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2023, 09:12:57 AM »

Chuqii

• Standard Moderators
  • Discourse Veteran
I think there are enough examples out there now to show that letter code dating began before 1904.  I use Joseph Pierson?s updated chart found here:  https://bicyclecards.org/uspcc-dating-code/

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2023, 08:28:37 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular

This link is dead, due to your update of the article.

https://pcconnections.weebly.com/mr-wilson-and-fireside-games---updated-aug-2022.html

Touya, I'm not entirely convinced about the use of the letter codes on the jokers.  I was told by none other than Tom Dawson himself that there were numerical and alphanumerical codes in place on the joker for many decks, but that no strict correspondence could be established between those codes and the date of manufacture - sometimes even the code on the Ace of Spades wasn't created in accordance with the established pattern.

Lee Asher has stated on his website, in his article on dating USPC decks, that the letter codes on Aces of Spades didn't come into existence until 1904 - and other articles I've read corroborate this.

As far as the continued use of the letter codes - the new numerical system makes dating a deck more of a science than an art, allowing you to know the exact week of production, but with the codes only being used on decks produced by USPC rather than produced by a third party and printed by USPC, it's of limited usefulness - though many if not most late-model decks do also bear copyright information, often found on the bottom of the tuck box.

Are you or Lee really promoting that theory after confirming the actual deck?

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2023, 08:34:16 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
What is this?

Can't you even confirm this year's specifications?

Did you not just open your computer, start up Excel, and copy and paste?

Don't you think that is too silly?

https://bicyclecards.com/shop/disney-princess-inspired-playing-cards-by-bicycle-pink
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:34:49 PM by touya »

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 08:40:30 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
You all realize how bewildered and passionless users around the world are who believe the information you send out?

Don, what you are trying to tell me is that you don't trust anything other than studies published by 'recognized pioneers' such as Dawson and Lee, right?

You have 'refuted' my research but have never 'disproved' it.

Please present a clear physical rebuttal by all 52plusjoker. It would be more constructive and advance the research.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 09:14:52 PM by touya »

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2023, 09:25:49 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
I think there are enough examples out there now to show that letter code dating began before 1904.  I use Joseph Pierson?s updated chart found here:  https://bicyclecards.org/uspcc-dating-code/

hi,Chuqii

Thanks for agreeing with me.
Thank you very much.

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

hi,Chuqii

Thanks for agreeing with me.
Thank you very much.

Gentlemen, I'm simply "the devil's advocate" here.  It's entirely possible that your information is correct and that the date codes extend back as far as 1898.  But it's also possible that the people I've heard from, long-time and heavily experienced collectors, that the date codes don't go that far back and are not always 100% accurate as to year of manufacture.  Considering the years of experience accumulated between Lee and Tom, I'd be leaning in their direction, short of hard physical proof.  Doesn't mean I'm calling you out as absolutely wrong - just that the odds aren't in your favor, though you could still be right.  I'm not immune to new ideas and concepts that refute what I've known before, but I do try to consider the sources of both old and new ideas and concepts to determine which of them would be more likely to be correct.

So, truce, fellows?  :))

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2023, 02:03:08 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
I'm not angry.

Don has a point in denying it, and he is not refusing to be denied.
The Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards, compiled by Tom and Judy Dawson, has become a guide for all USPCC deck users.

That hasn't changed even today.

However, the Internet was not yet that widespread at that time, and the scale has changed dramatically between individual statistical research and today's ability to connect with users around the world.

The global spread of the Internet makes it easy to uncover the truth behind superstitions and industry rumors.

The magic industry is still very secretive, and very few people are willing to voluntarily disseminate correct information.

I have seen many magicians, cardists, and deck users, and most of them said that they were not interested in anything other than their own interests.
Even if users were interested in the correct information and history of the industry, only a minority of users took action to find out on their own.

Everyone gets excited when they open a USPCC deck. Many people check the quality first. When we opened a deck and saw that it was of high quality, we all wondered, 'When was this made? ? you might think.
However, the USPCC DATE CODE list is full of errors.
Everyone's interest and curiosity towards the deck will eventually shift elsewhere, and eventually they will get bored with it. This is the current situation.

Past indicators are great, but even if you cling to them, you will never see the truth.

If we don't create the right indicators for the young generation, now in their teens and 20s, isn't decline just around the corner?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 02:05:17 AM by touya »

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2023, 02:35:06 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
In the past I have approached many seniors to research the history of the USPCC. However, most of them ignored me.
And there was no one in Japan who could answer my questions well. So I decided to proceed alone.

Originally, considering the connections, vast experience, knowledge, environment, languages, and collections of all 52plus jokers, statistics would be gathered quickly.

The only thing I can do is 'report my findings to the deck experts.

And the truth is always in the deck.
It just hasn't been revealed in the past, and since the deck exists, it is the truth.

A deck made by Fireside Game Company has something like a code printed on it, but if it's not a code, what do you think it is?

It only looks like USPCC DATE CODE to me.

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2023, 02:46:50 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Tom and Judy Dawson's idea that ``it is not possible to determine the exact year of manufacture with JOKER alone'' is correct. This is because the 52-card deck and accompanying cards may have been created on different days.

That's why I'm explaining it with a deck made by Fireside Game Company so that no one can deny it.

Please check this thread again until you understand. I can't explain it any more clearly than this. sorry.

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2023, 03:43:43 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular

I'd like to change the subject a bit,
I remember chuqii was a KEM collector, does KEM Deck have a USPCC CODE?

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2023, 01:42:08 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Let me add this to the conversation. On July 2, 1894, the United States Printing Company became The United States Playing Card Company. Why did they wait 4 years to start date coding? Nothing I could find in their history points to an event to start coding their cards. Production didn't change, their new factory in Norwood would not be in production until 1901. Why the change?  It seems like the coding would have started after the name change. Thoughts?

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2023, 10:22:34 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Let me add this to the conversation. On July 2, 1894, the United States Printing Company became The United States Playing Card Company. Why did they wait 4 years to start date coding? Nothing I could find in their history points to an event to start coding their cards. Production didn't change, their new factory in Norwood would not be in production until 1901. Why the change?  It seems like the coding would have started after the name change. Thoughts?

hi,NCC1888

My opinion is that it's because the number of production has increased.

USPCC DATE CODE is printed with alphabets and numbers. Everyone ignores the numbers, but experts must have noticed that the numbers increase in proportion to the number of products produced.

The letters represent the year of production, and the numbers represent the paper number.

A paper number is a number assigned to the paper roll that is the raw material for Playing Cards, and is a quality control number assigned to avoid confusion at the production site.

In the 1800s, the quality of paper used as raw materials varied, and it was a matter of luck whether you received high-quality paper or low-quality paper. This problem was a problem faced by all manufacturers, not just USPCC. Therefore, high-quality paper was used for high-quality decks, and low-quality paper was sold as cheap decks such as Steamboat. Advertisements at the time listed various stock names and finish names, but these were just slogans to promote quality.

Around the end of the 1800s, when production numbers were low, it was deemed sufficient to use only a copyright notice and date, but as the variety of decks became vast, problems such as material errors increased at production sites, making it necessary to strengthen production control.

In addition, in the 1890s, there was fierce competition among manufacturers for copyrights and consolidation such as corporate acquisitions, and the rampant use of copied products was also a problem due to the recession caused by the economic depression.

I believe that the USPCC DATE CODE was introduced on a trial basis to solve this problem.

At the time, there were very few ways to prove that a product was a company's own product.
Therefore, I assume that the introduction of this system was done behind the scenes.

For example.
If there was a code D89, it would mean 'a deck made in 1901 from paper rolls of paper No. 89'.
(By the way, this is different from a lot.)

Later, after 1900, manufacturers under the USPCC voluntarily introduced the USPCC DATE CODE.
However, this caused the DATE CODE to enter a period of chaos from 1910 to around 1930.

If the Playing Cards market size in the US had not expanded, there might not have been a USPCC DATE CODE.

These are my opinions.

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2023, 11:32:45 PM »

touya

• Forum Regular

Article on the Great Depression from 1893.
https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1893%E5%B9%B4%E6%81%90%E6%85%8C

In the article, the economy is slowly beginning to recover from 1897. The article states.

I assume that at that time, the company was trying its best to maintain its existence, such as cash flow.

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2023, 04:35:00 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
Let me explain in more detail.
A lot is a unit of "a group of products manufactured continuously under the same conditions.

Therefore, even if the paper number changes, the lot is the same if it is continuously manufactured.

Let us take an example as an image,

Suppose 50,000 sheets of BICYCLE RIDER BACK were produced in 1990 and the USPCC CODE was N1416, N1417, N1418, N1419, N1420, N1421, N1424, N1426, N1427, N1431.
Even if additional rolls of paper are replenished, if the paper rolls are produced continuously under the same conditions, then 50,000 pieces constitute one lot.

The reason why paper numbers are not sequentially numbered is a matter of convenience at the time at the mills, and has no special meaning because paper rolls are reserved for other products and cannot be used.

The size, length, and paper number of paper rolls change from year to year, but there is a clear trend.

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2023, 04:39:10 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
I am sure you are all aware that the USPCC CODE exhibits some familiar characteristics depending on its age.

USPCC CODEs from the late 1890s to around 1900 have paper numbers with one to three digits.
However, circa 1904 paper numbers are all one to two digits. This means that the old mills had a large inventory of paper rolls because they could only use small paper rolls to fit their equipment.
At the Norwood mill after 1904, the paper rolls themselves, which were used as material, became larger due to the larger production equipment.
It is thought that the paper numbers became smaller because of the increased production capacity at a time.

It is statistically shown that this paper number is based on the production capacity of each manufacturer.

For example, in the 1910s and 1920s, USPCC-affiliated brands had four-digit paper numbers, but most of the RUSSELL affiliated brands had one to three digits. We speculate that this was because the scale of production was small, so a three-digit paper number was the limit.

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2023, 04:51:13 AM »

touya

• Forum Regular
I have attached an image contributed by Rod Starling, borrowed from WPC. Although the USPCC CODE has become more complex around this time, this is actually the original quality control number.
This CODE format, often seen in Congress brands, represents "month-year-paper number". Of course, there are exceptions and irregularities.

As a reminder, the four-digit paper number includes the category number.

The meaning of the paper number changes somewhat with the age of the paper number, but the essence remains the same today.

Although there is no confirmation yet, it is possible that the original draft of this USPCC CODE came from a technical manager of a manufacturer affiliated with NYCC or NCC.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 05:03:14 AM by touya »